Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Sollima, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Sicario: Day of the Soldado
0%
25.00%
50.00%
16.67%
0%
8.33%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 12:03 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Will do it up later...
Old 06-30-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Sollima, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

So here's a red herring no one has talked about just yet. The terrorists that bombed the market in the beginning of the film. It almost seemed that that's where it would go and it didn't. It seem to imply that the cartel was somehow complicit and gave Brolin and his team a chance to wipe them out.

Also, what did you guys think about the ending? I sort of got the impression that the boy would be groomed to follow in Benicio's footsteps. That, or he was about to get killed.

I really liked how the film ended on that musical coda of the first film -- that theme of dread where they ride into Mexico and it's like driving into a war zone - it was awesome. The people in my screening really dug it.

I hope they do make a 3rd one. They left plenty of unanswered questions.
Old 06-30-18, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Sollima, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Store bombers are now Homeland’s problem.

Kid definitely being groomed, not killed. BTW, the scene when Del Toro woke after being shot caused our whole theater to jump.

Isabel is now a traumatized teen in US witness protection, surely The King is looking for her....
Old 06-30-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, the scene when Del Toro woke after being shot caused our whole theater to jump.

Ours too. In fact, it could have been the way the scene was lit along with the caked on dirt and blood but when he tilts his head up it almost seemed like his brains were falling out but I figured it was just caked on blood from the wound and not actual brains.
Old 06-30-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Isabel is now a traumatized teen in US witness protection, surely The King is looking for her....
I have to think this is the avenue to bring back Blunt.

My small gripe was Alejandro's change of heart about Isabel. I guess it was through communicating with the deaf family that brought back his feelings about his daughter. I guess since he already got his revenge against the person that actually did it in the first film?
Old 06-30-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Store bombers are now Homeland’s problem.

Kid definitely being groomed, not killed. BTW, the scene when Del Toro woke after being shot caused our whole theater to jump.

Personally, with the set-up they gave Del Toro's shooting, and the angle, and all the cloth, I figured he'd still possibly be alive. Though a black woman in my row went on a bit of a loud tirade, -sort of "That's Bull-shit!" kind of thing. Though she seemed to equally respond to BDT confronting the kid at the end, though I think she figured he'd kill him.

Side-Note: My power was out for about 28 hours and it was about 100 degrees so I picked out a film my usual group wasn't interested in to escape the heat. It was a Rush-Hour Show with half-price tickets for Seniors. There were reserved seats but the diagram really doesn't match the reality. A couple in their Seventies came in and couldn't figure out their places so they just sat where they wanted, which was right next to me (and I had the "right" seat for me, because with putting the lounge chairs they created some wonky angles). The old man had a medical device, -a black box with hoses, -and it whirred throughout the film. Frankly, it annoyed me, and I suppose I should feel bad about that.
Old 06-30-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Pretty solid follow up to the 1st movie.

The store bombing was intense and terrifying, especially the last part where the mother and daughter just wanted to get the fuck out of there.

Brolin and Del Toro were good and I liked Keener as the bitchy boss who has to deal with the political fall out.

Last sequence with Brolin and his team taking out everyone in the 2 cars was badass.

They definitely left things open for another movie. I'd like to see them bring back Blunt's character.
Old 06-30-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Caught this today. Not as good as the first, but definitely a worthy successor. I was initially confused as to how the boy recognized Alejandro but then remembered their encounter at the mall. The cinematography was not as good as Deakins', but it was obviously influenced. I'm kind of torn about not having Blunt's character. She definitely was the moral compass of the first movie, but I really liked seeing the two most interesting characters from the first one in their element.

Something else I noticed compared to the first one: at the end of the previous installment Alejandro points out the weakness of Blunt's character and then stands in the lot waiting for her to shoot him, which she does not. In this one he comes after the kid who shot him without much hesitation. I definitely take this as meaning that he will be taking him as his protege, as Blunt's character clearly did not have the nerve to be considered worthy.
Old 06-30-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, this one has no moral compass.That's the point and that makes it great, as well.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 07-01-18 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-01-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Saw it yesterday and liked it, but there was one plot hole that really bothered me (unless I completely missed something).

Del Toro's character is shot and left for dead in the desert in the middle of the night, and the crew that did that is shown being killed by Brolin and friends in the daytime...so these events have taken hours apart, and have to be a couple hundred miles away from one another. Yet Del Toro manages to walk this distance while dehydrated and a gunshot wound to the face?

They should have had Brolin and the Mexicans have that shootout at night to make it seem like Del Toro was within a possible walking distance.

Again, other than that, I thought it was pretty awesome.
Old 07-01-18, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

-the whistling thing... kinda stupid
-Mark Duplass was great in the last 15 minutes (that’s a joke - Del Toro looked like him when his face was swollen)

Aside from that I really liked it!
Old 07-01-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Saw it yesterday and liked it, but there was one plot hole that really bothered me (unless I completely missed something).

Del Toro's character is shot and left for dead in the desert in the middle of the night, and the crew that did that is shown being killed by Brolin and friends in the daytime...so these events have taken hours apart, and have to be a couple hundred miles away from one another. Yet Del Toro manages to walk this distance while dehydrated and a gunshot wound to the face?

They should have had Brolin and the Mexicans have that shootout at night to make it seem like Del Toro was within a possible walking distance.

Again, other than that, I thought it was pretty awesome.
I think it may have been the early hours of the morning and not the middle of the night.

One question I have is how this sequel happened in the first place. The first one didn't exactly sell the amount of tickets one typically considers safe for a sequel. I guess it did well enough on streaming and on demand to justify another one? Hoping this one does the same as I really want to see the story continue.
Old 07-01-18, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Regardless, it was pitch black when he was shot and sun was completely up when that group was shot up. A significant amount of time had passed inbetween, and there's no way Alejandro could have covered that distance in this condition...or any condition, honestly
Old 07-01-18, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Why did Alejandro activate the GPS tracker? At that point, he had already talked to Matt and knew they had been cut loose, and that if they came to them, Isabela would be sanitized. And he must have suspected that those orders would include himself too.
Old 07-09-18, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I saw this movie for a 2nd time today.

And now that I've seen it again and read a few comments here, that plot hole that was mentioned kind of stood out like a sore thumb.

Alejandro gets shot in the face and left for dead. The caravan of cars leaves and it looks like they travel several miles (maybe hours) before Graver's team stops them and takes them out.

So Alejandro coincidentally walks the exact same route the caravan travels for lord knows how many miles and is able to locate them in a matter of hours? And this with a bullet wound in his face and probably blurred vision? That seemed like a stretch and it was edited weird where there was a jump cut to Alejandro locating them immediately.

and with that ending, are we supposed to assume that Alejandro has turned and is going to end up being some kind of mentor to Miguel? I mean this is the kid that fucking shot him a year ago.

BTW, It's kind of weird seeing Jeffrey Donovan in these movies, especially with the goofy glasses and mustache. I keep thinking it's Michael Weston from Burn Notice in some kind of character mode.

Other than that, I still enjoyed it as I said back on the 30th.

Not that anyone was expecting this to be a hit, especially in a crowded summer. But, it has done only moderate business. The foreign take is very low. I guess it still has yet to open in more regions.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=sicario2.htm

and it looks like Stefano Sollima is not interested in directing another movie. He thinks someone else should do it.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/244...make-sicario-3

Last edited by DJariya; 07-10-18 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-10-18, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

...with that ending, are we supposed to assume that Alejandro has turned and is going to end up being some kind of mentor to Miguel? I mean this is the kid that fucking shot him a year ago.
It's already been mentioned in the thread - but the kid had the balls to pull the trigger. Something Emily Blunt did not have in the first film. Alejandro sees the potential there.

And as far as completing the trilogy - Taylor Sheridan should come in and direct his own script. He's more than capable and already directed Wind River, which was great, and some Yellowstone episodes, as well.
Old 07-31-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

I thought it was good overall, but I had issue with the scene at the end when he is recruiting the kid that tried to kill him.
Old 11-03-18, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I didn’t enjoy this as much as the original but still liked it quite a bit. It was completely captivating for the first 2 acts but fell apart for me a bit in the 3rd act. It felt that the momentum it had been building really stalled around the time Brolin and Del Toro’s characters split up.

I still enjoyed it a lot and feel it’s a solid series. I’d love to watch a part 3.
Old 11-03-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's pretty much how I felt as well. The first movie was fantastic, so it had some big shoes to fill. While not as good, it was still a solid sequel. I would have been okay with Del Toro’s character being killed, and then have Brolin's character show up at the end to train him. I think that would have been a better set up for the next movie.
Old 02-09-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's already been mentioned in the thread - but the kid had the balls to pull the trigger. Something Emily Blunt did not have in the first film. Alejandro sees the potential there.

And as far as completing the trilogy - Taylor Sheridan should come in and direct his own script. He's more than capable and already directed Wind River, which was great, and some Yellowstone episodes, as well.
Apologies for a late reply, but this film should have more discussion anyway and maybe more have seen it by now.

It's funny that the kid is looked at as having guts as opposed to Emily Blunt's character, but the kid just saw the previous kid get killed for not pulling the trigger. Might have made more sense if he had snatched the gun away from the reluctant first shooter and fired to show he was an amoral killer. The way it was done, he knew the consequences of inaction. Then maybe he shoots the reluctant kid as well as a further illustration of his "potential."

How would Del Toro have even known the kid shot him? Must be some dialogue I missed that revealed his identity before he fired or I suppose he pieced it together somehow. And it was nice that they booted the kid out of the truck before they were massacred. Very thoughtful.

I liked this and hope we get one more, but there were some problems for sure. I know the writer envisioned a trilogy.
Old 02-09-20, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I want to know how Del Toro came back from the dead and was able to travel miles by foot to catch up.
Old 02-09-20, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I want to know how Del Toro came back from the dead and was able to travel miles by foot to catch up.
Obviously he did die and it turned into a supernatural film.
Old 01-16-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Made it a Sicario double-feature today with this one also on 4K disc. Like the first film's 4K disc this one was also demo-worthy. Still an awesome film, IMO.

I like that bit if dialogue where Keener asks to have Alejandro liquidated and Brolin responds with, "do you know how hard it was to make him?" I'd love a prequel series or film showcasing what happened to Alejandro and his family and how he became this hardcore skilled hitman. For now, I'd settle just for the final installment to this set of films.
Old 01-16-23, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Apologies for a late reply, but this film should have more discussion anyway and maybe more have seen it by now.

It's funny that the kid is looked at as having guts as opposed to Emily Blunt's character, but the kid just saw the previous kid get killed for not pulling the trigger. Might have made more sense if he had snatched the gun away from the reluctant first shooter and fired to show he was an amoral killer. The way it was done, he knew the consequences of inaction. Then maybe he shoots the reluctant kid as well as a further illustration of his "potential."

How would Del Toro have even known the kid shot him? Must be some dialogue I missed that revealed his identity before he fired or I suppose he pieced it together somehow. And it was nice that they booted the kid out of the truck before they were massacred. Very thoughtful.

I liked this and hope we get one more, but there were some problems for sure. I know the writer envisioned a trilogy.

After watching the first film today and catching a bit of dialogue towards the end there's a scene where Blunt is sitting at the table in tears when Alejandro asks her to sign the order. He tells her that she looks like a little girl when she cries. He's pretty much talking down to her. Little girl in way over her head. He had her pegged. That twerp from the second film was just this empty vessel, with dull and dead eyes. I assume Alejandro read him, as well, and thought that was a "killer." that he could mold. Alejandro version 2.0 or some shit.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (01-16-23)
Old 01-17-23, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

The first film gets a 10/10 rating from me. The second, 7/10. It was just not the same without Roger Deakins and Denis Villeneuve.