DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Wolfman’s Got Nards! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644494-wolfman%92s-got-nards.html)

VHS? 06-29-18 07:10 PM

Wolfman’s Got Nards!

“It’s like shooting a basket in 1987 and it doesn’t go in until 20 years later.”

This heartfelt documentary explores the power of cult film told through the lens of the 1987 classic The Monster Squad and the impact it has on fans, cast and crew, and the industry.
<iframe width="720" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pouwH2zbkMc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mabuse 06-29-18 10:23 PM

Re: Wolfman’s Got Nards!

I first saw The Monster Squad in 1988 at a friend’s house. I was 10. I went home and rented it that night from the video store to show my older brother. He was 16. There’s not a lot of films a 10 year old and a sixteen year old can agree on.

It’s a great movie. And it holds up because a lot of care went in to making it.

That being said, why are so many ultra-fans so pathetic? Tears, heartfelt testimony, tacky tattoos, etc. I don’t get it. I love cinema. Cinema changed my life. I can talk for hours about cinema. I’ve had some brief moments where I got to work on some movies. I can be moved to tears by great cinema. But Jesus Christ these people are geeks. Like the literal meaning of geek. Yes the Monster Squad is sweet, now get a grip.

Also, that doc grossly exaggerates how long the cult following took to take root. The movie was a bit of a flop but was very popular on VHS and cable. The first evidence of cult following was in the late ‘90s when vhs cassettes started trading on the internet. So about 10 years.

OldBoy 06-29-18 10:34 PM

would love to see this. movie always holds a place in my youngish heart. any release date for digital or anything like that or just short theatrical run and then see?

VHS? 06-29-18 10:39 PM

Yeah, I love movies from my past and all, but sometimes these people get a little ridiculous hahah
I hate to say that because maybe it is a little more for them for whatever reason, but geez.

GoldenJCJ 06-29-18 10:47 PM

Oddly enough, being a HUGE fan of The Goonies as a kid and still holding a soft spot for it as a nostalgic gem to this day, I somehow missed The Monster Squad all these years. I only first heard of it when it was released on DVD and have still never gotten around to seeing it.

Maybe someday I’ll get a wild hair to blind buy it.

joe_b 06-29-18 11:01 PM

I first caught The Monster Squad on The Sci-Fi Channel around 1996. Enjoyed it quite a bit, but VHS copies were scarce and none of the rental places in town had a copy. I didn't get a chance to see it again until the Lionsgate DVD was released over a decade later. Fun movie, but the nostalgia factor isn't as strong as it might have been if I'd grown up seeing it countless times on cable like "The Goonies". I actually prefer Dekker's "Night of the Creeps", but both flicks deserve a wider following. I'll try to check out this documentary eventually.

Brack 06-29-18 11:18 PM

Saw this when it came to vhs at my local library. I was probably 6, maybe 7. I probably rented it a couple of dozen times. Such a fun movie. The monster makeup still looks great. The cast was very likable. I’ll check out this doc when released.

Sonic 06-29-18 11:55 PM

I don't remember Monster Squad. I need to check it out. :o

OldBoy 06-29-18 11:57 PM

When can we see this?

Crocker Jarmen 06-30-18 01:24 PM

I saw The Monster Squad at the theatre when I was 9 with my younger sister and a friend of hers who was staying over that night. I still remember my mother being upset after the movie, saying she was embarrassed she took my sister's friend to it, and worrying what her parents would think of her :lol:

Goldberg74 06-30-18 10:24 PM

I turned 13 the summer that movie came out and my friends and I saw it several times... and when it hit the home video market, we rented it so many more times! We loved it! Quoted it often!

When the DVD came out, I bought it... and watched it once.

I need to watch it again!

Inhumans99 06-30-18 11:16 PM

This wonderful film will be available on Hulu in July. :banana::banana:

mndtrp 07-01-18 08:00 AM

I'm familiar with the nards quote, but after watching the trailer, I don't think I've ever seen the movie. Maybe I read a novelization, or if the movie is based off a book I read that.

GoldenJCJ 07-01-18 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 13363654)
I'm familiar with the nards quote, but after watching the trailer, I don't think I've ever seen the movie. Maybe I read a novelization, or if the movie is based off a book I read that

“Wolfman’s got nards!” is a quote from Ulysses by James Joyce. You probably read it there during English Literature class in college.