Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mandy (Sept 2018, D: Panos Cosmatos) S: Nic Cage, Riseborough

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mandy (Sept 2018, D: Panos Cosmatos) S: Nic Cage, Riseborough

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Mandy (Sept 2018, D: Panos Cosmatos) S: Nic Cage, Riseborough

Based on all the "buzz" here I rented this off of Google Play the other day. Wow what a shitshow of a movie. Apparently you must be high or something to enjoy it. Not for me.
This movie was a huge pile of shit
YES YES YES!!!

This is the type of movie Harry Knowles would've gone ape shit over on AICN 20 years ago, and that's not a good thing.

This movie was dog shit, and I'm so happy I'm not the only one who thought so.
Old 10-28-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

One of the bizarrest flicks I have seen. The opening 30 to 60 minutes were so psychedelically portentous and molasses-slow that I almost turned it off. However crazy it was, it was well-filmed and, surprisingly, very well-acted, especially by those who played the cultists. The second revenge-focused half was more conventional and less "interesting", but also less dull. Anyway, I didn't absolutely loathe it, but I didn't like it either. I think a tab or a roach is required to enjoy this one. 4/10
Old 10-28-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
This is the type of movie Harry Knowles would've gone ape shit over on AICN 20 years ago, and that's not a good thing.
That is the most accurate and succinct review I've seen for this movie.
Old 11-19-18, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

What a gruesome mind fuck. Nic Cage in full on batshit crazy mode under a good director delivers in spades. Felt like Alejandro Jodorowsky meets Wes Craven.

4/5
Old 11-20-18, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
What a gruesome mind fuck. Nic Cage in full on batshit crazy mode under a good director delivers in spades. Felt like Alejandro Jodorowsky meets Wes Craven.

4/5

Old 12-01-18, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched it tonight. The bees scene in The Wicker Man has NOTHING on him trying to chug a full vodka bottle in one take while grunting and screaming. I really don't know if that was great acting or parody.
Old 12-01-18, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

FYI this is now on Shudder for those who subscribe to it.
Old 12-01-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I don't usually listen to podcasts for movies I haven't seen, but Show Me the Meaning covered this. I had no intention of watching it, so I went ahead and listened ...

I hate Nicolas Cage. But after their podcast (and the comments here) ... I want to see this to believe it. I highly recommend their podcast coverage of it at least!
Old 12-01-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
I just watched it tonight. The bees scene in The Wicker Man has NOTHING on him trying to chug a full vodka bottle in one take while grunting and screaming. I really don't know if that was great acting or parody.
I saw this over a month ago, and I still don't know what to think.

As for the vodka scene, whether honest or parody, Cage gives it about 275%!
Old 12-01-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

If anyone has Hoopla through their library, it's on there.
Old 12-02-18, 05:11 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper

This movie was dog shit, and I'm so happy I'm not the only one who thought so.
Backtracking to the first post in this thread, this sounds like Harry Knowles:

"Sweet buttery Moses. Twelve hours after watching the midnight world premiere of Mandy at the Sundance Film Festival, I am still reeling from the sensory onslaught of Panos Cosmatos’ wild new film. My head is pounding and my heart is racing and I feel hungover, but I haven’t had a drop to drink and I’ve already acclimated to the altitude. No, this is the aftermath of one of the most audacious and exhilarating cinematic experiences I’ve had in ages. Mandy is by no means a perfect film and is likely going to turn off a fair number of viewers who aren’t on board for its concentrated, unadulterated weirdness. But for those who are willing to take the ride, you’re in for a bizarre, bloody treat featuring a particularly extra Nic Cage, giving his best performance in years. It’s an instant cult classic, and I mean that both literally and figuratively."
Christ I hate shit like this.
Old 12-30-18, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a trip (literally, according to the screenplay) this film is.
Clocking in at 2 hours on the button, it's way too long for the material.
90 minutes would have tightened it up for the better.

At first, the surrealism is kinda fun but overstays its welcome after awhile.

The filmmaker didn't show he had much of a vision here.
Felt like darts were thrown at the wall all thru the filming.
Old 12-30-18, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If anyone has Hoopla through their library, it's on there.
It's also available on Amazon Prime for 99 cents.
Old 12-30-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Don't waste your money.
Old 12-30-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you have a subscription, it's on Shudder for free.
Old 12-30-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

That's two hours better spent doing something else, free or not.
Old 12-31-18, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
That's two hours better spent doing something else, free or not.
Agreed.
Old 01-22-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I rented it around Christmas from Google Play (using store credit) for 99 cents. Went in blind except knowing there was tons of hype for it and finally gave it a go tonight, with 2 days left on my rental. I should've just let it expire.

Really, some interesting parts and the over the top revenge scenes elicited some chuckles, but overall I don't get all the love for it. Different strokes, I guess.
Old 01-24-19, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
but overall I don't get all the love for it. Different strokes, I guess.
Guess I'll take the contrary position here and say that I don't get all the hate for this picture. I am partial to the director's previous film, which really sets the tone for this one if you've seen it, so maybe that's a bias. I think the Metacritic (81%) and Rotten Tomatoes (92%) are on the money. I can certainly see where it's not for everyone, of course, but I think Cosmatos has a wholly unique vision, fueled by a deeply personal and specific "thing" for the late 70's and early 80's -- which he has elaborated on in some of his better interviews -- that doesn't come off as easy, 'Stranger Things'-style nostalgia-bait and instead gives the film a little heart (something deliberately lacking, I think, in the colder BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW). As for Cage, when he modulates his "crazy", as he mostly does here, no doubt thanks to his director, it works in favor of these cult-ier projects he chooses; when he doesn't, as in something like ARSENAL and so many other paycheck gigs, it's just embarrassing. I thought the snippets of (hand-made!) 'Heavy Metal' style animation were a nice touch, as were the practical gore effects, although I'm sure there was plenty of digital trickery used to sort of visually enclose Cosmatos' ominous, psychedelic little world here. I really appreciated the lack of exposition -- not everything needs to be explained or rationalized in something like this; the info dump that Bill Duke gives us is almost too much, frankly, while the quick scene of Cage and Riseborough eating dinner and watching TV spoke volumes. I enjoyed Linus Roache and his crew; thought they assembled a talented mix of uglies for that bunch, people you really want to see get wiped out. Hopefully Cosmatos doesn't wait another eight years to make another show; I'm curious to see what he'd bring to something just a wee bit more mainstream, or with a bigger budget but not if it means completely selling out, which seems unlikely.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-24-19 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Guess I'll take the contrary position here and say that I don't get all the hate for this picture. I am partial to the director's previous film, which really sets the tone for this one if you've seen it, so maybe that's a bias. I think the Metacritic (81%) and Rotten Tomatoes (92%) are on the money. I can certainly see where it's not for everyone, of course, but I think Cosmatos has a wholly unique vision, fueled by a deeply personal and specific "thing" for the late 70's and early 80's -- which he has elaborated on in some of his better interviews -- that doesn't come off as easy, 'Stranger Things'-style nostalgia-bait and instead gives the film a little heart (something deliberately lacking, I think, in the colder BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW). As for Cage, when he modulates his "crazy", as he mostly does here, no doubt thanks to his director, it works in favor of these cult-ier projects he chooses; when he doesn't, as in something like ARSENAL and so many other paycheck gigs, it's just embarrassing. I thought the snippets of (hand-made!) 'Heavy Metal' style animation were a nice touch, as were the practical gore effects, although I'm sure there was plenty of digital trickery used to sort of visually enclose Cosmatos' ominous, psychedelic little world here. I really appreciated the lack of exposition -- not everything needs to be explained or rationalized in something like this; the info dump that Bill Duke gives us is almost too much, frankly, while the quick scene of Cage and Riseborough eating dinner and watching TV spoke volumes. I enjoyed Linus Roache and his crew; thought they assembled a talented mix of uglies for that bunch, people you really want to see get wiped out. Hopefully Cosmatos doesn't wait another eight years to make another show; I'm curious to see what he'd bring to something just a wee bit more mainstream, or with a bigger budget but not if it means completely selling out, which seems unlikely.

Old 01-24-19, 10:54 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Great movie, and score, which was also the composer’s last movie before he died.
Old 01-25-19, 09:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I definitely did not love this one... despite it kind of being right up my alley. Maybe I'll give it another shot down the road, but... I just don't have much to say. It barely held my attention; it probably didn't help that my wife was absolutely hating it.

The best part was when the cult leader plays the record, and Mandy laughs at him.
Old 01-25-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
it probably didn't help that my wife was absolutely hating it.
Probably . . .

Last edited by Brian T; 01-28-19 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-26-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I don't usually listen to podcasts for movies I haven't seen, but Show Me the Meaning covered this. I had no intention of watching it, so I went ahead and listened ...

I hate Nicolas Cage. But after their podcast (and the comments here) ... I want to see this to believe it. I highly recommend their podcast coverage of it at least!
Well .. it doesn't live up to the hype. I signed up for a free trial with Shudder to watch this, and it is a good thing I got the longer trial period. It took me three days just to get through the slog of an almost meaningless first hour. Finally, on day four, I wrapped up the last hour which picks up pace, but still wasn't the salvation this film needed. Take a director's homage to late 70s/early 80s grindhouse films, add a dash of Mad Max, a pinch of Evil Dead, and a long sip of the original Suspiria and you get an interesting but not engaging two hours.

Cosmatos provides a stylistic vision that is pretty to look at, but quickly loses effectiveness as cinematic shorthand. Instead of evoking any emotional connection, the visual style acts like comic book panels that keep the eye engaged and push the audience towards the next panel. We may not be sure why we are at the next panel, but that scene break is often the only thing moving the story along. I enjoy movies that leave things unsaid, but a movie using that style should "show not tell"; Mandy just shows, shows, shows. Like a dark whore, Cosmatos can burn bright at times with this style. He just doesn't do it often enough.

Nicolas Cage is receiving kudos for his performance as Wil Wheaton playing Mad Max here, but I don't understand why. Granted, I am not a Cage fan, but I can appreciate him in the right roles. This seemed as if it was going to be one of those stereotypical Cage performances. While he is generally more subdued than I expected for a film like this, he still continues to strike poses and become a human meme rather than actually acting. The real recognition needs to go to Linus Roach who shines as the villain. Roach, as he often does, steals the show as a monologue-prone cult leader.

Mandy is a film that intrigues me. I didn't like it, but there was enough there that I appreciate it and would like to have a better understanding of what it is trying to accomplish. Beyond the razor thin cliche revenge movie is something that has a deeper meaning, I just don't feel that the filmmaker was able to bring it out. Someday I will give it another watch. It just won't be any time soon.
Old 01-26-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wanted to post that separate, but I have some specific scenes that I would like to talk about ...

The Cheddar Goblin -- this is a scene that has received quite a bit of chatter on the podcasts I listen to, even being nominated for a top "scene of the year" on /Film Daily. Why? After it happened, I kept thinking "there must be a meaningful scene later that calls back to this". Nope.

Jeremiah monologues to Mandy -- this is an example of Cosmatos' style working. My brain was registering that something was not right, but it took a moment to realize their images were being casually intermingled and then pulled back as Jeremiah tries to indoctrinate her.

The Chemist -- another scene where I felt Cosmatos was killing it. This was well done and an engaging performance, but not by Cage. Maybe I shouldn't say it that way. Cage's lack of attachment to the scene was perfect and allowed the scene to work like it should. Sometimes not acting is better acting.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 01-27-19 at 10:58 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.