Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alamo Drafthouse Season Pass

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 12:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Just saw this:
https://drafthouse.com/victory/seasonpass

Wanna watch unlimited movies at Alamo Drafthouse? Reserve your ticket in advance? And pick your seat? Step right up and become one of the first to join a limited beta test of Alamo Season Pass!

Interested? Join the waitlist below. The first invites for Yonkers, NY go out on July 18th.
So NY first... other locations (maybe) later.

I can't see this taking me away from MP, but it should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 06-25-18, 12:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Alamo Drafthouse Season Pass

It’s coming to Austin as well. We go there maybe 80% of the time, so I may look into it. But lack of Dolby Atmos and HDR makes me hesitant to buy into it. They really need to invest more in the technology.
Old 06-25-18, 01:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
It’s coming to Austin as well. We go there maybe 80% of the time, so I may look into it. But lack of Dolby Atmos and HDR makes me hesitant to buy into it. They really need to invest more in the technology.
I hear you. The location opening up near me next week is supposed to have laser projectors on 4 of the screens. Laser is HDR-compatible, right...? They haven't said which screens, if any, will have Atmos though.
Old 06-25-18, 01:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Damn, lucky you. And I remember you said you already have a Dolby Cinema in Houston. Yeah, the HDR is laser. You’ll have to let us know how it is when it opens.
Old 06-25-18, 01:50 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

yeah there's a bunch of Dolby Cinemas now. Still not a single one in Austin??
Old 06-25-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I mainly go to Alamo Drafthouse. Next is AMC, which has IMAX and Dolby Cinema. It'll be interesting to see the price.
Old 06-25-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
yeah there's a bunch of Dolby Cinemas now. Still not a single one in Austin??
https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...reek-square-14
Old 06-25-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s not the movies that are expensive there. Let me know when there is a booze pass...
Old 06-25-18, 03:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I mainly go to Alamo Drafthouse. Next is AMC, which has IMAX and Dolby Cinema. It'll be interesting to see the price.
For me, it's AD > Cinemark > AMC. I'll only do AMC for the Dolby Cinema, but if my new AD has 4K Laser + Atmos (and done well overall) then there might not be much reason for me to go to the Dolby Cinema anyway.

Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson
Nice. Now E Unit has no excuse!

Originally Posted by MBoyd
It’s not the movies that are expensive there. Let me know when there is a booze pass...
So true.
Old 06-25-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
So, for you to be able to have passes for both theater chains, you get to pay TWO monthly fees.
Old 06-25-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoboDad
So, for you to be able to have passes for both theater chains, you get to pay TWO monthly fees.
I can still do both with MoviePass. So, it all depends on prices vs perks.
Old 06-25-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow, whether you love or hate Movie Pass there's no denying they've changed the industry.

Alamos are still too few and too small but I'd consider it one day.
Old 06-25-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Might need a Theater Subscription subforum soon.
Old 06-25-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only go to the Alamo, but have a love/hate relationship with them. I like the no phones, texting, but in the end it doesn't matter. I am disturbed by the food runners. The only place to see anything on film at the Alamo is downtown next to the homeless shelter. My wife said no more. I don't really care, but I understand. At the time she was pregnant and felt very vulnerable as we ran the gauntlet to get to The Ritz. Now that the baby is here, forget it. I am glad I saw 2001 in 70 mm 20 years ago. Probably a better presentation than they have there this summer anyway.

I guess I'd do this pass, but the rewards for Victory Club are already OK. It would probably even out for me in the end. I don't see nearly as many films as I did in the theater 10 years ago before marriage.

We moved to a smaller but more expensive house in Austin to get close to work for both of us. There's an art house Regal theater down the street. It's awful. It's going to be bulldozed for condos. Generally, I hate that shit, but I don't even care. This place tried to put a wrist band on me when I ordered a beer for Lady Bird back in January. That was the first time I had been to a non-Alamo in 5 years. I laughed at them, told them I was nearly 50 years old and asked if they could imagine the outcry if Alamo tried doing that!

So in my opinion, this won't cost the Alamo anything. They will continue to rake in the money with food and booze. Food is sub-par for the most part, but if people can feel like they save $20 on a movie night, they may order more. My wife keeps a tight leash on the wallet, but we generally spend between $45-60 on food and drink per movie.
Old 06-26-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

If I didn't live over an hour away from the Alamo Drafthouse in San Francisco, CA, I would probably be all over this.

All of my friends who live in and around San Francisco are probably going to be excited when rolls out, if only for the Terror Tuesdays & Weird Wednesdays (which they attend all year).
Old 06-26-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

There you go, MP has set the precedent. Here's hoping that ArcLight Cinemas gets in on it, too. We'll eventually have an Alamo in DTLA but it's way overdue at this point.
Old 03-19-19, 07:38 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The wait for the Alamo Drafthouse movie-ticket subscription plan is almost over.

The popular chain will launch Alamo Season Pass by the end of the year across all its theaters, the company's founder and CEO, Tim League, told Business Insider.

Since July, patrons at its locations in Yonkers, New York, and Raleigh, North Carolina, have used a beta version of Season Pass. League said he'd been impressed by the data from the beta testing and is now putting the final touches on Season Pass to make it available to his entire chain.

"It's working for us, and we love it," League said. "It's one of our biggest priorities this year, to get that rolled out."

League said Alamo Season Pass would be an unlimited plan for $20 a month in most areas of the country. He added that in some cases the monthly price would depend on the market, so expect it to be a little more at places like Drafthouse's theaters in downtown Los Angeles (set to open by the middle of the year) and Brooklyn, New York. (A Drafthouse in lower Manhattan is scheduled to open by the end of the year as well.)

Season Pass will be available through the Alamo Drafthouse app (on iOS or Android) to reserve seats — days in advance, if you like — from anywhere, as well as add tickets.

In August, Business Insider reported that the company said the Season Pass beta test in Yonkers had over 40,000 people sign up on the waitlist in less than a month. At that time, Season Pass holders were allowed to see a movie as many times as they wanted and could order tickets to standard-format 2D or 3D movies but not any special Drafthouse screenings with a higher ticket price. Those features may also be in Season Pass when it launches, though Alamo Drafthouse didn't give any more specifics about it.

Drafthouse's Season Pass will join AMC's Stubs A-List and Cinemark's Movie Club as a chain-specific subscription service. And others are beginning to crop up with the help of Sinemia Enterprise, like those from Studio Movie Grill and National Amusements.

Movie-ticket subscription services have seen a surge in popularity since MoviePass lowered its monthly price to about $10 in the summer of 2017 and gained millions of subscribers. Though MoviePass has gone through a series of changes to get its cash burn under control, Business Insider reported on Monday that it would bring back an unlimited plan.

"I really admire what MoviePass did to disrupt this industry," League said. "To say, 'Hey, there might be another way that actually works.'"

League has certainly bought into the subscription model and said he thinks it will help the company introduce unique movies to its customers.

"The most exciting thing about it to me is that people are watching more movies," League said. "And they are watching a wide variety of movies, and that's part of what we're trying to accomplish by becoming bigger as a company is to get more and more people to fall in love with a wide swath of amazing movies, and I see Season Pass as part of that."
https://www.businessinsider.com/alam...is-year-2019-3
Old 03-19-19, 07:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. Hopefully sooner than later here in Houston.
The victory rewards have been weak for at least six months now... Only 2 for 1 deals, whereas they used to offer free popcorn and snacks and $2 off other items all the time. I hope they have some kind of decent incentive with this.
Old 03-19-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

And the Alamo in DTLA still hasn't opened. I'm still waiting on ArcLight to offer one.
Old 03-19-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$20 a month? I'm so there. I probably spend twice as much there per month.
Old 03-20-19, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

$20 for unlimited would be fantastic. I'd consider getting it and keep A-list as well.
Old 03-20-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

The Alamo about 5 miles from me hasn't opened yet. It was supposed to at the end of 2018, but I'm guessing I'll be lucky if it makes it by Fall of 2019. Now that my wife and I have a fairly reliable childcare situation that doesn't cost a fortune, I'll be looking into the pass once it's available.
Old 05-10-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure how long it's been there but, today, noticed a banner in the lobby about the beta. I'm gonna get on the wait list to see if I get selected for it.
Old 05-10-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I love the Alamo that just opened near us but it's a bit of a haul. That said, I'd go for cheaper if I could.
Old 07-09-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It took a couple months after requesting but I got the email today inviting me to be a part of the beta test here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.