DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Sequels that unceremoniously dispatch an original character (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644434-sequels-unceremoniously-dispatch-original-character.html)

TGM 06-23-18 03:39 PM

Sequels that unceremoniously dispatch an original character

spoilers obviously

Tank, in Matrix: Reloaded
Sarah Connor, in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Newt & Hicks, in Alien3
Mako, in Pacific Rim: Uprising

go!

E Unit 06-23-18 03:48 PM

Re: Sequels that unceremoniously dispatch an original character

Emily Blunt, Sicario 2

Yeah, I know she didn’t die, but she’s not it.

bluetoast 06-23-18 04:02 PM

Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Michael T Hudson 06-23-18 04:17 PM

Speed 2

TheMovieman 06-23-18 04:17 PM

Does Blofeld in For Your Eyes Only qualify?

OldBoy 06-23-18 04:36 PM

Duke in G.I. Joe: Retaliation. i still can't believe how dumb it is...

Perkinsun Dzees 06-23-18 04:42 PM

Veronica Quaife (Geena Davis) - The Fly II

fujishig 06-23-18 04:48 PM

Cyclops in XMen Last Stand. All because of Singer and to make that terrible Superman movie.

The Warriors Three in Thor Ragnarok. At first I wasn't even sure it was the same actors, the way Fandral and Volstagg got jobbed.

Then all the asgardians get jobbed in IW again. I guess Loki and Heimdall actually do something in the movie but after pretty much starring roles in Thor Ragnarok every single character is basically easily taken out or not even seen.

And of course Admiral Ackbar.

The animated Transformers the Movie wasn't a sequel to a movie but man the death toll was high coming off the tv cartoon. But gotta sell those new toys.

Kenobi in A New Hope. We have three movies of this guy kicking butt, then they recast him with an old guy and he basically just gives up after a super lame lightsaber battle that doesn't even have any jumping around or anything.

Tv shows: Poochie and Roseanne.

B5Erik 06-23-18 04:50 PM

Gotta go with Newt and Hicks in Alien3. Off screen, before the movie, no less! What a horrible decision that was...

TheMovieman 06-23-18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13358676)
Gotta go with Newt and Hicks in Alien3. Off screen, before the movie, no less! What a horrible decision that was...

I think Alien3 was a horrible decision all around, but the behind-the-scenes documentary about it was amazing.

Michael Corvin 06-23-18 08:07 PM

I'd nominate arguably the most notorious... Crispin Glover in Back to the Future II.

outcastja 06-23-18 08:11 PM

Tom Hagen - Godfather III

Mike86 06-23-18 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13358746)
I'd nominate arguably the most notorious... Crispin Glover in Back to the Future II.

I took the topic to be the character dies off screen. We see George in the third film (played by a different actor).

Daytripper 06-23-18 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13358676)

This. And likewise for killing off Elizabeth Shaw in the god awful "Alien: Covenant". Fuck you Ridley Scott.

Defiant1 06-23-18 09:48 PM

Halloween: Resurrection - RIP Laurie Strode (at least until Halloween 2018 comes out)

Sam Witwicky is heavily implied to have been killed off in between the LaBoeuf Transformers movies and the Wahlberg Transformers movies. A rather sad fate considering he was the lead character in the first three movies.

Franka Potente's character of Marie is taken out within the first 15 minutes or so of The Bourne Supremacy despite being the female lead in The Bourne Identity.

Daytripper 06-23-18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 13358796)

Franka Potente's character of Marie is taken out within the first 15 minutes or so of The Bourne Supremacy despite being the female lead in The Bourne Identity.

Oh yeah. This pissed me off too.

Troy Stiffler 06-23-18 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 13358796)
Sam Witwicky is heavily implied to have been killed off in between the LaBoeuf Transformers movies and the Wahlberg Transformers movies. A rather sad fate considering he was the lead character in the first three movies.

I missed that part. I’m sure I would have remembered a point when I exclaimed “fuck yes” if I noticed it. Much like when they offed TJ Miller.

DJariya 06-23-18 10:17 PM

Vin Diesel's Xander Cage after xXx and going into xXx: State of the Union. He was "killed off" via a DVD extra feature. But, that was retconned in the 3rd movie.

Jean-Claude Van Damme's Kurt Sloan was killed offscreen in Kickboxer 2: The Road Back even though he was the lead in the 1st movie.

DJariya 06-23-18 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13358806)
I missed that part. I’m sure I would have remembered a point when I exclaimed “fuck yes” if I noticed it. Much like when they offed TJ Miller.

It was heavily implied in Transformers: The Last Knight that Sam was dead in 1 scene in the movie talking about the lineage of the Witwicky family.

DJariya 06-23-18 10:27 PM

Star Trek: Generations

and we all know who that "original" character is

magman 06-23-18 10:40 PM

Logan.

Most, if not all, of the other X-Men were dead when the movie began.

Geddlo 06-24-18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13358655)
Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

This is usually my first thought when these types of threads arrive.

It always bothered me, plus the fact that there clothes are suddenly clean after the events of part 1

Sorraffy 06-24-18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13358674)
Kenobi in A New Hope. We have three movies of this guy kicking butt, then they recast him with an old guy and he basically just gives up after a super lame lightsaber battle that doesn't even have any jumping around or anything.

I know what you're going for but for all intents and purposes, ANH was the first movie and the prequels are the sequels

Hazel Motes 06-24-18 01:39 AM

Jason Voorhees-Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning

skywalker8 06-24-18 07:41 AM

Mace at the beginning of the second Ewok movie.