Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tigertail (2020, W/D: Alan Yang) S: Tzi Ma, Hong-Chi Lee, Christine Ko -- Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tigertail (2020, W/D: Alan Yang) S: Tzi Ma, Hong-Chi Lee, Christine Ko -- Netflix

Old 03-26-20, 11:25 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

A Taiwanese factory worker leaves his homeland to seek opportunity in America, where he struggles to find connection while balancing family and newfound responsibilities in this multi-generational drama from writer-director Alan Yang.

Releases April 10, 2020
Old 04-10-20, 06:50 AM

Re: Tigertail (2020, W/D: Alan Yang) S: Tzi Ma, Hong-Chi Lee, Christine Ko -- Netflix

This is now available.
Old 04-11-20, 06:38 PM

Re: Tigertail (2020, W/D: Alan Yang) S: Tzi Ma, Hong-Chi Lee, Christine Ko -- Netflix

This was great. Wonderful debut from Alan Yang, who I am a fan of his previous writing. This felt like a mash up of Ozu, WKW, and Edward Yang. It was a nice and brisk pace at around 90 minutes. But does a lot with it, though understated.

Another beautiful performance by Tzi Ma after The Farewell. Christine Ko, who had a great standout episode on FXX’s Dave this week as well, was very good here.
Old 04-11-20, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

^^ Thanks for the comment. I'm going to watch it tonight. The trailer looks great. I love movies like this.
Old 04-12-20, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Wonderful movie. Excellent feature film debut from Yang. Tzi Ma was excellent as the lead and I really enjoyed how it was told from his perspective growing up as a little farm boy in Taiwan to him as a young man and then to his current situation later in life. Christine Ko was also really good playing his daughter.

It’s only 90 minutes and moves at a really brisk pace. I felt like I could have spent another 30 minutes with these characters.