DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Cats (2019, D: Tom Hooper) S: Swift, McKellen, Corden, Hudson, Dench, Elba (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644349-cats-2019-d-tom-hooper-s-swift-mckellen-corden-hudson-dench-elba.html)

dex14 05-06-16 09:25 AM

Cats (2019, D: Tom Hooper) S: Swift, McKellen, Corden, Hudson, Dench, Elba

Tom Hooper will direct and produce a movie adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical “Cats” for Universal and Working Title.

Producers are Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner for Working Title along with Debra Hayward and Hooper.

Hooper teamed with Universal and Working Title for the 2012 movie adaptation of “Les Miserables,” starring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried. The film was a box office success with $440 million worldwide and critical triumph with three Academy Awards, including Hathaway for best supporting actress.

The musical “Cats” is based on T.S. Eliot’s poetry collection “Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats” and centers on a tribe of cats called the Jellicles who must decide nightly which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new life. The show was first performed in London in 1981 and ran on Broadway from 1987 to 2006.

Hooper won the best directing Oscar for “The King’s Speech” in 2010. He directed “The Danish Girl” last year for Universal and Working Title.

The Sun first reported in February that Hooper was in talks to direct a “Cats” movie and was seeking Suki Waterhouse to star.

Hooper is represented by ICM Partners and Independent Talent Group.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ca...er-1201767798/

Drexl 05-06-16 10:15 AM

Re: Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Cats” (D: Tom Hooper)

I'm curious as to how they'll do this. People in cat costumes won't work in a movie, so I would think that the characters at least would be animated, if not the whole film.

davidh777 05-06-16 10:22 AM

The funny thing is if they do go for live action, there's an adequate Cats-on-stage film already. I haven't seen it in years so I don't recall how good it looks, but the DVD is 1.78/5.1 at least. If they're hoping for Les Mis box office, I don't think Cats has the same following, nor will it have as appealing a cast since they'll be looking for dancers instead of singers, other than Grizabella, of course.

Not my favorite show, but it's entertaining for what it is, so I'd probably see it in theaters.

Drexl 05-06-16 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12794923)
The funny thing is if they do go for live action, there's an adequate Cats-on-stage film already. I haven't seen it in years so I don't recall how good it looks, but the DVD is 1.78/5.1 at least. If they're hoping for Les Mis box office, I don't think Cats has the same following, nor will it have as appealing a cast since they'll be looking for dancers instead of singers, other than Grizabella, of course.

The existing version is fine for what it is, which is a filmed stage performance, but they'll have to go a more "realistic" route for the movie (assuming it's live action). They can motion capture dancers but use known actors for the voices.

I can see them going for Meryl Streep as Grizabella.

davidh777 05-06-16 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 12794935)
The existing version is fine for what it is, which is a filmed stage performance, but they'll have to go a more "realistic" route for the movie (assuming it's live action). They can motion capture dancers but use known actors for the voices.

I can see them going for Meryl Streep as Grizabella.

I like your "realistic" in quotes. ;)

And I agree Streep would be on their short list.

dex14 05-06-16 10:52 AM

I don't know if true, but someone commented in the article that Meryl Streep was about to sign on and it'll all be mocap.

Decker 05-06-16 12:37 PM

What's funny is so many years ago in the movie adaptation of "Six Degrees of Separation", Stockard Channing is talking about how they struggled for years with how to make a movie adaptation of "Cats", and then the solution dawned on them .... but she never reveals what that solution is. :gah:
Finally, we get to find out, I suppose.

DVD Josh 05-06-16 08:00 PM

This is the worst play of all time. However, I would see the movie if Nic Cage was the lead.

Giles 05-07-16 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12795403)
This is the worst play of all time. However, I would see the movie if Nic Cage was the lead.

worst musical? not even close to the musical version of 'Carrie'

DaveyJoe 05-08-16 12:12 AM

Ah, the first film to attempt to capitalize on Jungle Book's success.

johnnysd 05-08-16 10:51 AM

I have never been as bored in a play than with Cats. Memory was amplified and ear piercingly loud. And just when I think it is over they are on some fucking ship singing in fucking esperanto. It was the day I realized that the "theater" crowd and me just don't align at all.

Dr. DVD 05-08-16 02:46 PM

They definitely need to take the Jungle Book approach with this, no way people in leotards will make it on the big screen. Let me go ahead and say they need to get Idina Menzel to voice Grizabella.

Dr. DVD 05-08-16 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 12796191)
I have never been as bored in a play than with Cats. Memory was amplified and ear piercingly loud. And just when I think it is over they are on some fucking ship singing in fucking esperanto. It was the day I realized that the "theater" crowd and me just don't align at all.

Reminds me of my first experience with that show when I was 10 years old. Add to the fact that we were in nosebleed section seats (it was the first time the musical went on tour I think, so these were the best tickets we could get) and I am somewhat scared of heights, not a very good experience. :)

Crocker Jarmen 05-08-16 03:12 PM

Too bad the version Sidney Poitier was going to direct back in the 90's never got made.

Decker 05-08-16 03:46 PM

Is it though?

TheMovieman 06-13-18 05:55 PM

Cats (D: Tom Hooper) S: Swift, McKellen, Corden, Hudson

EXCLUSIVE: Anne Hathaway In Talks To Star In Universal’s CATS

A big screen adaptation of the hit musical Cats has been pitched for many years. Back in 2016 it was announced that Universal Pictures won the rights for the film with Academy Award winning director Tom Hopper (Les Miserables) set to direct, from a script by Lee Hall (Billy Elliot). Since then it has been pretty quiet on all the updates, but now we have some news that may intrigue you.

According to our sources Anne Hathaway is in talks to star in a currently unknown role. The studio is also looking at Rihanna for the role of Bombalurina a key character featured in the musical, but as of now its only interest, and no formal talks have taken place.

The film is expected to begin production sometime in September in London. It is not known if the film will use full CGI or with a mix of live-action as previous reported.

If Hathaway and Rihanna both sign on this would be the second time they would star in a feature together, they star in Ocean’s 8 out June 8. Hathaway saw success under director Tom Hooper, as she won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Fantine in Les Miserables.

Cats is based on T.S. Eliot’s poetry collection Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats. First performed in the West End in 1981, the musical tells the story of a tribe of cats called the Jellicles who must decide which one of them will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new life.
http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/06/e...iversals-cats/

E Unit 06-13-18 05:59 PM

re: Cats (2019, D: Tom Hooper) S: Swift, McKellen, Corden, Hudson, Dench, Elba

Yep, cause we've been asking for this.

dex14 06-13-18 06:35 PM

https://78.media.tumblr.com/837d658f...szaa83_250.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/1wXf6j...TzWX/giphy.gif

GoldenJCJ 06-13-18 06:54 PM

Remember when everyone started hating Anne Hathaway when Les Miserables was released? I guess she didn’t learn her lesson the first time... :mad:

DaveyJoe 06-13-18 07:10 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...41/756/e6e.png

The Bus 06-13-18 07:21 PM

Read it as Tobe Hooper at first. :rip:

Dr. DVD 06-13-18 07:29 PM

Hathaway will probably be Grizabella . Interested to see how they will do this, as people in outfits most likely won't work on the screen.

Mabuse 06-13-18 07:54 PM

A motion picture version of the musical Cats!
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pu...8_400x305.jpeg

Sonic 06-13-18 08:00 PM

I'm excited. If there is one movie that will beat Avatar at the box office it's this one.

Decker 06-13-18 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13352329)
Hathaway will probably be Grizabella . Interested to see how they will do this, as people in outfits most likely won't work on the screen.

Wasn't it Six Degrees of Separation where they kept talking about how they figured out how to film a live action version of Cats that works, but they never actually explained it.