DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The King's Man (2021, D: Vaughn) -- Kingsman prequel (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644287-kings-man-2021-d-vaughn-kingsman-prequel.html)

Why So Blu? 02-18-22 01:30 AM

re: The King's Man (2021, D: Vaughn) -- Kingsman prequel

Premieres in a few minutes on HULU or tomorrow daytime at some point. I'm not sure if it's going to HBO like Nightmare Alley did.

Decker 02-18-22 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14061639)
Premieres in a few minutes on HULU or tomorrow daytime at some point. I'm not sure if it's going to HBO like Nightmare Alley did.

Yeah it’s up now on HBO Max.

E Unit 02-18-22 09:57 AM

In glorious 2k.

OldBoy 02-18-22 10:00 AM

terrible movie. just terrible. took all the fun out of the first 2 and made it real, having to do with WWI. just not fun.

Decker 02-18-22 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14061741)
terrible movie. just terrible. took all the fun out of the first 2 and made it real, having to do with WWII. just not fun.

It's WWI.

OldBoy 02-18-22 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14061772)
It's WWI.

correct. thx. added an extra I mistakenly.

Decker 02-18-22 12:11 PM

Bummed to hear it's not good. Was planning on watching with my son tonight. He's interested in Rasputin mythology.

mwbmis 02-18-22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14061781)
Bummed to hear it's not good. Was planning on watching with my son tonight. He's interested in Rasputin mythology.

The Rasputin part is probably the most fun it has, but tonally this movie is just all over the place.

DJariya 02-18-22 03:14 PM

:shrug: I'm in the minority, but as I said in my review on the previous page I liked it. Yes it's not all "fun" It goes into some serious and dark territory with the horrors of WWI and a surprising and sad death that affects the main character. But, I understand some wanted a light and fun movie and the tone goes into both directions. But, I think it's also an interesting origin story. Now I need to actually watch parts 1 and 2 as I said I never saw them and jumped into this one. But, I wasn't lost.

Daytripper 02-18-22 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14061741)
terrible movie. just terrible. took all the fun out of the first 2 and made it real, having to do with WWI. just not fun.

That second one was fun!? I must have seen the wrong movie. I only enjoyed the first. And couldn't get past 30 minutes of this one.

GoldenJCJ 02-18-22 04:38 PM

Since it’s a long weekend, I may still try to watch this despite the negative reviews. Fuck it.

I thought the first one was great and the second one, while lacking was still fun. all the Julianne Moore/50s diner shit fell really flat for me and the Elton John cameo went on way too long, but otherwise, it was enjoyable. Unfortunately, they screwed themselves by killing off a certain character in the first one just to have to some serious mental gymnastics to bring him back for part 2, which really messed with the story.

stingermck 02-18-22 06:57 PM

I'm an hour in and I'm so bored. With another hour to go.

Kmical 02-19-22 11:48 AM

I watched it last night.

"Boring" is an apt description.

I did like the Rasputin character. The way he was overacting in the "leg-healing" scene had me wondering if it was Nicolas Cage under that beard ;)

Note: It's actually Rhys Ifans.

OldBoy 02-19-22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kmical (Post 14062157)
Note: It's actually Rhys Ifans.

i actually thought it was Peter Stormare until i saw credits.

Count Dooku 02-19-22 01:04 PM

I watched this last night. I agree with the opinion that tonally this was just too unbalanced. Fun? Serious? Crazy, over the top action and somber character drama. When it got to the third act, I just FFed for the villain reveal and the final fight. I never thought any movie in this series was great, but the first one was fun and escapist with a lot of style.

Troy Stiffler 02-19-22 03:44 PM

Everyone says Vaughn's movies are unbalanced. It's kind of his thing.

I thought this was great. I mostly ignored it during its theatrical release. Was surprised.

Draven 02-20-22 12:26 AM

I had heard bad things but watched it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the Statesmen stuff of Golden Circle but this was better than that movie overall.

It was a pretty good origin story, twisted and turned in a few ways and got me to say “holy shit!” out loud at one specific point. And it never really went completely over the top which I appreciated.

And got me to look a bit more into WWI - interesting they tried to stick somewhat close to what actually happened.

GoldenJCJ 02-20-22 12:49 AM

As others have said, my biggest issue with this was how unbalanced it was. I also felt like it could have cut about 20 minutes in the middle but once it kicked into the 3rd act, it was enjoyable. It’s too bad it couldn’t hold that tone for the whole movie.

When the action scenes did kick in, they were mostly enjoyable. The Rasputin fight, the No Man’s Land fight, and the ending fight were all very well done. And say what you will about Vaughn being tonally unbalanced but the guy can create some impressive camera work and visual effects scenes.

And Aaron Taylor-Johnson needs to get a new agent. The guy has “leading man” potential but he keeps appearing in these blink and you miss him roles.

dex14 02-20-22 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 14062378)

And Aaron Taylor-Johnson needs to get a new agent. The guy has “leading man” potential but he keeps appearing in these blink and you miss him roles.

Seemed mostly like just getting together for a Kick-Ass reunion.

He was cast as Kraven the Hunter for the upcoming film.

Hokeyboy 02-20-22 09:47 AM

I was reminded of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen whilst watching this movie... and not necessarily in a bad way. I liked the movie but yeah, it could have been tighter.

mwbmis 02-20-22 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 14062378)

This was the only thing that had me second guessing who the final villain was. I knew ATJ was in the movie, but I hadn't seen him yet. Turns out I had just missed him.

Why So Blu? 02-20-22 11:26 PM

I watched this tonight and thought it was awesome. Rasputin rocked. The red herring of the film floored me, especially by how they marketed the film. I understand why it's tonally different, but it comes down to it being an origin tale and they have a lot of world building to do. Hell, should they make another one, it would probably have to focus on WWII. Don't think we'll be seeing another anytime soon with how poorly this one did in theaters. I will definitely get the 4K disc on sale if it's ever released. It screamed for a 4K DV/Atmos presentation.

devilshalo 02-20-22 11:58 PM

I think that the Conrad/1917 piece felt out of place and they really don't go into Polly's backstory much for me to understand her motive.
Spoiler:
And how does Morton get away from Kitchener long enough to gather his Legion of Doom?

MLBFan24 02-21-22 03:07 PM

Caught this on Hulu. Started off slow, but then it kicked into high gear. I really enjoyed it and I'm really loving the Kingsman franchise. More movies please!

jpcamb 02-21-22 03:15 PM

This movie was just terrible. I will really have to think twice about watching any more in this series at this point as the first one was great and the second one was mediocre at best and this one was a train wreck. I get wanting to make an origins story, it's a cool concept to have the 'servants' spying on the movers and shakers but outside of that, they lacked in execution and substance. Wish I didn't start this one let alone finish it.