Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dolemite Is My Name (2019, D: Brewer) S: Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore -- Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dolemite Is My Name (2019, D: Brewer) S: Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore -- Netflix

Old 06-07-18, 02:10 PM

Eddie Murphy is about to return to the screen for the first time in awhile. Hes starring in Dolemite Is My Name, a Netflix film which begins production June 12 about the life of Rudy Ray Moore, the star of the blaxploitation Dolemite films. Hustle and Flows Craig Brewer is directing a script by Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski, the writing team behind such quirky biographical films as Big Eyes, Ed Wood and The People Vs. Larry Flynt. John Davis and John Fox are producing with Murphy, who has been eager to play this role for a decade.

Moore worked in a Hollywood record store in 1970 when he began hearing obscene stories of pimp and hustler named Dolemite. He started a club act where he became Dolemite. He then began generating records that mixed humor and a ghetto fantasy character, burnishing the legend. While too racy to be put on display in record stores, the records became a big inner city underground hit. The proceeds allowed Moore to finance the 1975 film Dolemite, which he starred in as a kung fu-capable pimp ghetto hero who stuck it to The Man. Moore followed with three sequels. He continues to be an influence for the likes of hip hop entrepreneur Snoop Dogg, and he had something of a comeback starring alongside the hip hop group Insane Clown Posse in Big Money Hustlas in 2000.

Murphy last starred in 2016s Mr Church, and before that in 2012s A Thousand Words. He and Brewer are WME while the scribes are CAA.
https://deadline.com/2018/06/eddie-m...ki-1202404562/
Old 06-07-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Dolemite Is My Name (2019, D: Brewer) S: Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore -- Netflix

Oh man, please don't suck. I love Dolemite and Rudy.
Old 06-07-18, 02:16 PM

re: Dolemite Is My Name (2019, D: Brewer) S: Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore -- Netflix

Old 06-07-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Woooow
Old 06-07-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd go to see this if they'd promise me that Murphy plays only one role in it and doesn't put on a fat suit or ridiculous makeup or do any Murphy mugging. If he just approaches this as a character in a historical biopic, with recreations of Moore's standup work and scenes from the Dolemite films, it could work. Just as long as it doesn't go over the top or create an "alternative" history. The real story is fascinating enough and is not widely known to movie audiences or young people. And Murphy is more than capable of pulling it off.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-08-18 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-07-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What Ash said. But I’m glad Eddie is coming back for something. As bad as his past couple of decades of movies have mostly been, I still think he can get some of his comic magic back. And just seeing him in something good again would be nice.
Old 06-07-18, 05:25 PM

I love every bit of this news except one word: Netflix
Old 06-15-18, 07:45 AM

Wesley Snipes has joined Eddie Murphy in Dolemite Is My Name!, Netflix's biopic of envelope-pushing comedian and film producer Rudy Ray Moore.

Snipes leads a muscular roll call that also includes Mike Epps, Craig Robinson, Tituss Burgess and Da'Vine Joy Randolph as the film begins production this week in Los Angeles.

Craig Brewer, best known for directing Hustle & Flow, is behind the camera. Davis Entertainment's John Davis and John Fox are producing along with Murphy.

Moore is sometimes called the Godfather of Rap from his reciting raunchy, sexually explicit rhymes in his comedy, often depicting pimps, prostitutes, players and hustlers, according to his obituary in the Los Angeles Times. (He died in 2008.) The son of a sharecropper, he broke through in 1970s Hollywood when his underground records became popular in black communities.

He used the proceeds to produce and star in Dolemite, a notorious blaxploitation movie featuring a pimp with a harem of kung fu-fighting prostitutes. The film was an underground sensation.

Murphy is playing Moore.

Snipes is D'Urville Martin, an arrogant actor and alcoholic who ends up directing Dolemite.

Netflix will launch the movie in 2019. Michael Beugg is exec producing. Golden Globe and Emmy Award-winner Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, whose credits range from Ed Wood to American Crime Story: The People vs O.J. Simpson, wrote the script.

Snipes appeared in Spike Lee's last movie, Chi-Raq, with Samuel L. Jackson and John Cusack. The actor is known for action movies such as the Blade trilogy, New Jack City and Passenger 57, as well as dramas White Men Can't Jump and Waiting to Exhale. He is repped by APA.

Burgess, who appears on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, is repped by APA, Soffer-Namoff Entertainment, and Piefodd Mahan.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-movie-1120125
Old 06-28-18, 02:24 PM

Keegan-Michael Key has nabbed a key role opposite Eddie Murphy in Dolemite Is My Name!, Netflix's biopic of pioneering comedian and blaxploitation film producer Rudy Ray Moore.

The movie is already shooting in Los Angeles with Wesley Snipes, Mike Epps, Craig Robinson, Tituss Burgess, Da'Vine Joy Randolph and T.I. on the call sheet. Craig Brewer is directing.

Moore has been referred to by some as the Godfather of Rap for his reciting of raunchy, sexually explicit rhymes in his comedy, often depicting pimps, prostitutes, players and hustlers, according to his obituary in the Los Angeles Times. (He died in 2008.) The son of a sharecropper, he broke through in 1970s Hollywood when his underground records became popular in black communities.

Moore used the proceeds to produce and star in Dolemite, a notorious blaxploitation movie featuring a pimp with a harem of kung fu-fighting prostitutes. The film was an underground sensation.

Key will play Jerry Jones, a playwright who is convinced by Moore to write the screenplay for Dolemite.

Davis Entertainment's John Davis and John Fox are producing Dolemite Is My Name! along with Murphy. Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski wrote the script.

The movie will drop in 2019.

Key, who starred with Jordan Peele in the duo's Comedy Central breakout, Key and Peele, next appears in Fox's The Predator, the sci-fi action reboot from Shane Black, and returns for season 2 of Netflix's Friends From College. He is also voicing a part in Disney's CGI remake of The Lion King.

Key is repped by UTA and Bloom Hergott.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne..._source=Direct
Old 06-28-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Dolemite Is My Name (2019, D: Brewer) S: Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore -- Netfli

This could be great if done right. Looking forward to see it.
Old 08-12-19, 12:14 PM

Re: Dolemite Is My Name (2019, D: Brewer) S: Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore -- Netflix

Stung by a string of showbiz failures, floundering comedian Rudy Ray Moore (Academy Award nominee Eddie Murphy) has an epiphany that turns him into a word-of-mouth sensation: step onstage as someone else. Borrowing from the street mythology of 1970s Los Angeles, Moore assumes the persona of Dolemite, a pimp with a cane and an arsenal of obscene fables. However, his ambitions exceed selling bootleg records deemed too racy for mainstream radio stations to play. Moore convinces a social justice-minded dramatist (Keegan-Michael Key) to write his alter ego a film, incorporating kung fu, car chases, and Lady Reed (Da’Vine Joy Randolph), an ex-backup singer who becomes his unexpected comedic foil. Despite clashing with his pretentious director, D’Urville Martin (Wesley Snipes), and countless production hurdles at their studio in the dilapidated Dunbar Hotel, Moore’s Dolemite becomes a runaway box office smash and a defining movie of the Blaxploitation era.

Last edited by dex14; 08-12-19 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Dolemite Is My Name (2019, D: Brewer) S: Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore -- Netflix

Damn, that looks pretty good. One thing still rings true, Murphy can still act, and hopefully this will give him enough confidence to get back into comedy.
Old 08-12-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is my most eagerly-anticipated film of the year by FAR. I love that fact that, even though the film seems to be centered specifically on Dolemite and Rudy Ray's quest to get it made, there's a shout-out to Disco Godfather as well. Put your weight on it! It's also kind of cool that Keegan-Michael Key bears a passing resemblance to Jerry Jones.

Has anybody seen a specific release date yet?

Last edited by rbrown498; 08-13-19 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-12-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This looks fantastic. I had a big grin on my face the whole time the trailer played! Looking forward to it!

The casting is outstanding it appears.
Old 08-12-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks amazing. I predict it will lose steam by the end though..
Old 08-12-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
This looks fantastic. I had a big grin on my face the whole time the trailer played! Looking forward to it
Same here, all smiles. Rudy is the man!
Old 08-13-19, 06:24 AM

Am I the only one who thinks this looks pretty bad? I was really looking forward to it but Murphy just isnt doing it for me in this trailer. He stills acts like hes walking through Norbit or Daddy Day Care.
Old 08-13-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skywalker8 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this looks pretty bad?

Yep. It also appears you may not know much about Rudy Ray Moore. Or have never seen Dolomite. Check it out, it’s a fly gas. This movie looks like it nails who Dolomite was and the life he lived.
Old 08-13-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it looks like he absolutely nails Rudy Ray Moore. But if you aren't familiar with any of his or those types of films from the 70's, I could see where someone would think it looks over the top.

The funny thing is...it actually looks subdued to the real thing.
Old 08-13-19, 09:17 AM

Yes, this looks great. Hopefully the end product is not a let down like The Disaster Artist.
Old 08-13-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This looks great, like the flip side of ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD, with which it'll make a great double bill.
Old 08-13-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skywalker8 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this looks pretty bad? I was really looking forward to it but Murphy just isn’t doing it for me in this trailer.
No. I think it's mostly his voice that puts me off with him in this role.
Old 08-13-19, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
No. I think it's mostly his voice that puts me off with him in this role.
The voice does remind me of his character in Bowfinger.

But this looks awesome! I am always hoping for a true Eddie Murphy comedy comeback.
Old 08-13-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Glad to see Wesley Snipes doing comedy again too!
Old 08-13-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I have no idea about Rudy Ray Moore or Dolemite, but that looks fun and well made. Didn't realize it was a script by Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski. They are seriously the BEST screenwriters of real-life show business stories. They're geniuses in my book.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.