Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Addams Family (2019) - V: Isaac, Theron, Janney, Middler, Moretz, Wolfhard, Kroll

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Addams Family (2019) - V: Isaac, Theron, Janney, Middler, Moretz, Wolfhard, Kroll

Old 06-05-18, 01:49 PM

MGM has set the voice cast for its Oct. 11, 2019 animated take on The Addams Family including Oscar winners Charlize Theron (Morticia), Allison Janney (arch nemesis Margaux Needler), two-time Oscar nominee Bette Midler (Grandmama), Chloë Grace Moretz (Wednesday), Finn Wolfhard (Pugsley), and Nick Kroll (Uncle Fester).

As previously announced, Oscar Isaac will play Gomez. Sausage Party director Conrad Vernon and Greg Tiernan are co-helming this brand new take on Charles Addams’ classic New Yorker cartoon series which has been adapted into various formats since its debut in 1938 including a black and white ABC TV series during the early 1960s, a Hanna-Barbera cartoon during the ’70s, two Paramount features which made over $240M WW during the early 1990s and a recent Broadway show.

Matt Lieberman wrote the script, which follows the kooky Addams family as they face-off against a crafty reality-TV host voiced by Janney while also preparing for their extended family to arrive for a major celebration, Addams-style.

Vernon is producing with Gail Berman, via her shingle The Jackal Group, and Alex Schwartz. Andrew Mittman, Kevin Miserocchi and Joe Earley are EPs. Tabitha Shick, MGM’s Executive Director, Worldwide Motion Pictures is overseeing the project on behalf of the studio. CG Animation and digital visual effects production is underway in Vancouver at Cinesite Studios.

Vernon said in a statement, “Greg and I have always been a fan of the Addams Family in past versions, so when we set out to make this movie, we were excited to do something new. With that in mind, I drew from the brilliantly original Charles Addams New Yorker cartoons for the look of the film and decided to tell the story of how Gomez and Morticia meet, find their house and start their family. This unique approach is what drew me in to direct the film. The reimagining also extends to the stellar cast we’ve put together who will each bring their own spin to our film that will appeal to longtime fans of the Addams and introduce them to a new generation.”

“Conrad and Greg are masters of animation with the keen ability to create something both kids and their parents will enjoy for different reasons. Adding to that a world class caliber of talent with Oscar, Charlize, Chloë, Finn, Nick, Bette and Allison – we can’t wait to bring their fresh and modern take on The Addams Family to the worldwide audience,” said Jonathan Glickman, president of MGM Motion Pictures Group.
https://deadline.com/2018/06/charliz...ey-1202403723/
Old 06-05-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Re: The Addams Family (2019) - V: Isaac, Theron, Janney, Middler, Moretz, Wolfhard, K

Too legit.
Old 06-05-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Addams Family (2019) - V: Isaac, Theron, Janney, Middler, Moretz, Wolfhard, K

Whoomp, there it is.
Old 06-05-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could be alright. I like the image shown so far. I wasn’t a fan of Sausage Party though so the directors of it being involved don’t get my interest.
Old 06-05-18, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Could be alright. I like the image shown so far. I wasn’t a fan of Sausage Party though so the directors of it being involved don’t get my interest.
While I didn't like Sausage Party, I think this has a better chance of being decent.
Old 06-06-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WTF? so now we are getting animated remakes? Who is asking for this? Even before opening the thead I was bugged they were remaking something that has already being remade, but now as an animated thing? Ugh.
Old 06-06-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
WTF? so now we are getting animated remakes? Who is asking for this? Even before opening the thead I was bugged they were remaking something that has already being remade, but now as an animated thing? Ugh.
The Addams Family were originally a series of cartoons. This isn't like remaking Shawshank Redemption or Platoon as an animated movie.
Old 06-06-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
It's not a remake; it's another adaptation of the original Charles Addams classic illustrations from New Yorker magazine. As is every other adaptation (the movies, TV shows, etc.)

And judging by the photo above, this (at least visually) looks closer to Addams's original illustrations than any of the movies or TV show.
Old 06-06-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
It's not a remake; it's another adaptation of the original Charles Addams classic illustrations from New Yorker magazine. As is every other adaptation (the movies, TV shows, etc.)

And judging by the photo above, this (at least visually) looks closer to Addams's original illustrations than any of the movies or TV show.
Yup. I hope the style indicates an awareness of the series' morbid humor. Last thing we need is an Addams Family movie with poop and fart jokes.
Old 06-06-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, after the live action ones we got, I have no interest in seeing it in animated form.
Old 06-06-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Eh, after the live action ones we got, I have no interest in seeing it in animated form.
Is that because you liked the live action versions or hated them? Just curious, as I'm not quite sure how to read your post.
Old 06-06-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

After how well done the two 90s Addams Family movies turned out, even purely from the casting perspective, going animated does seem lazy.
Old 06-06-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
Is that because you liked the live action versions or hated them? Just curious, as I'm not quite sure how to read your post.
Sorry, meant to state I liked the live action more. I grew up on be B&W tv show, it was part of my regular shows I loved. When the live action ones came out, I loved seeing Raul Julia and Anjelica Houston play those roles. I was aware of the cartoon and saw them as well, but I loved how Julia/Houston (and even Christopher Lloyd), fleshed out those characters. I love the show in general, but I’d rather see these live again since we already have and know it can be done.
Old 06-06-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
After how well done the two 90s Addams Family movies turned out
Two? There were three. Does everyone forget the one in 1998 starring Tim Curry and Daryl Hannah?
Old 06-06-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Two? There were three. Does everyone forget the one in 1998 starring Tim Curry and Daryl Hannah?
There is good reason to forget that. In addition to it being crap, it has never been released in any format apart from VHS.

Direct to Video sequels don't count.
Old 06-06-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oscar Isaac would actually be a great chioce for a live action Addams Family.

But animated? Eh. . . .
Old 06-06-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That one was basically a failed tv pilot and never had a theatrical release, generally don't count those.
Old 06-06-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven’t seen the two movies in a long time but I remember liking them at the time. I had no idea there was a third (even if it was direct to video) or an updated series in the late nineties though.
Old 06-06-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, yes we do.

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Oscar Isaac would actually be a great chioce for a live action Addams Family.
Has Isaac ever done a comedy before? I'd be curious if he has the chops. (Not saying he doesn't; I just can't picture him in a comedy.)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I haven’t seen the two movies in a long time but I remember liking them at the time. I had no idea there was a third (even if it was direct to video) or an updated series in the late nineties though.
In the endless debate of "sequels that are better than the originals," no one ever mentions Addams Family Values or A Very Brady Sequel, probably because neither franchise is high art. But both sequels kept what worked from their predecessors and then went a little more bonkers with it. There are some true LOL moments in both.
Old 06-06-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
Has Isaac ever done a comedy before? I'd be curious if he has the chops. (Not saying he doesn't; I just can't picture him in a comedy.)
Old 06-06-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
[Adds to must-watch list.]
Old 06-06-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kids today will think this is a Hotel Transylvania rip off.
Old 06-06-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently rewatched the two Addams Family live-action movies.

Other than the absolute PITCH PERFECT performances from Raul Julia and Angelica Huston (and a starmaking turn by a young Christina Ricci), the movies do NOT hold up whatsoever. Like almost all Barry Sonnenfeld films.

I find the resistance to an animated feature comical yet puzzling. It's been over 25 years since the Addams Family was last in theaters, and that was a mediocre movie that died at the box office. How much more time do we need until the dust has settled?
Old 06-06-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I find the resistance to an animated feature comical yet puzzling. It's been over 25 years since the Addams Family was last in theaters, and that was a mediocre movie that died at the box office. How much more time do we need until the dust has settled?
I agree with you, and I welcome an animated movie. It has the potential to be more faithful to the original comic strip than either the original TV series or the live-action movies were. Here's hoping.
Old 06-06-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't realize Values had flopped, but you are correct. That said, I like them both, and thought they held up. Then again, I seem to like the Men in Black films more each time I watch them, so I guess Sonnenfeld just works more for me than you...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.