DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Addams Family - animated film series - V: Isaac, Theron, Janney, Middler, Moretz, Wolfhard, Kroll (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644251-addams-family-animated-film-series-v-isaac-theron-janney-middler-moretz-wolfhard-kroll.html)

mraw 03-19-10 01:19 AM

The Addams Family - animated film series - V: Isaac, Theron, Janney, Middler, Moretz, Wolfhard, Kroll

EXCLUSIVE: Alice in Wonderland director Tim Burton has found a new 3D project. He will direct a stop-motion animated film based on Charles Addams' original ghoulish cartoon drawings of The Addams Family. Illumination Entertainment, the Universal-based family film unit headed by Chris Meledandri, has acquired the underlying rights of the Addams drawings, once a staple of The New Yorker magazine.

Other than being inspired by the same source material, the animated feature is unrelated to previous incarnations of Addams’ work, the 60s TV series, the two `90s feature film comedies that Barry Sonnenfeld directed with Raul Julia and Anjelica Huston, or the Broadway musical opening this spring with Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth in the starring roles.
http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/tim-...addams-family/

The film will at least be related to the 60s series in that Addams didn't name the characters until the tv show was in development. I'm interested in seeing what happens with this because I love the Addams Family.

RocShemp 03-19-10 01:45 AM

Re: Tim Burton to Direct 3D-Animated Addams Family Film?

Sounds pretty interesting. Especially since they want to differentiate it from its previous incarnations.

NoirFan 03-19-10 07:32 AM

At this point I've written off Burton completely as a live-action director, but there's no reason to think a stop-motion project like this doesn't have major potential.

CloverClover 05-19-12 03:20 PM

after Dark Shadows I don't think Burton should go near anymore gothic families

Solid Snake 05-19-12 03:22 PM

Please no more Johnny Depp.

Kal-El 05-19-12 03:40 PM

Tim Burton needs to be told there's other actors besides Johnny Depp and that there are other colors in the spectrum besides black and white.

TomOpus 05-19-12 03:43 PM

I think he should wait to see how well Frankenweenie does before delving into the same territory.

Dr. DVD 05-19-12 03:58 PM

I have a feeling we most likely will have Johnny Depp as the voice of Gomez.

Supermallet 05-19-12 08:04 PM

The designs for this will undoubtedly be cool. Burton needs someone to give him a killer script if it's going to work.

My Other Self 05-19-12 08:33 PM

So Johnny Depp as the voice of Gomez or Uncle Fester?

Mike86 05-19-12 08:56 PM

I wish Burton would stop being so damn predictable. Doing goth style movies gets fucking old after a while. The shame is he can do good when he wants but all his movies lately feel exactly the same. I'd love to see a new Addams Family movie though. It would just be nice if someone else was doing it (if it happens considering this thread is older).

Troy Stiffler 05-19-12 09:09 PM

Yea, I'm not really feeling Burton right now. Willy Wonka was fun and works. Sweeney Todd was a violent, adult Burton movie. But that was three or four movies ago. Willy, Alice, and Dark Shadows really felt like the same thing. A Big Fish or Mars Attacks! would really hit the spot for me.

Jon2 05-19-12 11:21 PM

Not a fan of the original soap, but Burton's Dark Shadows was a hoot! Watched in a packed theater and the audience loved it.

Would be be up for his take on the Adam's Family. I like the idea of doing Adam's design of his characters in stop mo.

JumpCutz 05-19-12 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11239253)
Please no more Johnny Depp.

Thank you.

Depp's career has been completely sullied by his latter day Burton films coupled with the odious POTC movies.

PatD 05-20-12 01:25 AM

It's sad, once upon a Tim Burton was a such a fresh voice. Now he's almost as reviled as Michael Bay. How times have changed.

I still think Ed Wood is his best overall film (thanks in part to the two guys who also wrote the biopics, "The People vs Larry Flynt" and "Man on the Moon"). That scene when Depp as Wood is trying to talk down a suicidal Bela Lugosi is beautifully done.

Groucho 05-20-12 04:59 AM

How about Christina Ricci as the voice of Morticia?

dex14 06-05-18 01:49 PM

The Addams Family (2019) - V: Isaac, Theron, Janney, Middler, Moretz, Wolfhard, Kroll

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress...6&h=299&crop=1

MGM has set the voice cast for its Oct. 11, 2019 animated take on The Addams Family including Oscar winners Charlize Theron (Morticia), Allison Janney (arch nemesis Margaux Needler), two-time Oscar nominee Bette Midler (Grandmama), Chloë Grace Moretz (Wednesday), Finn Wolfhard (Pugsley), and Nick Kroll (Uncle Fester).

As previously announced, Oscar Isaac will play Gomez. Sausage Party director Conrad Vernon and Greg Tiernan are co-helming this brand new take on Charles Addams’ classic New Yorker cartoon series which has been adapted into various formats since its debut in 1938 including a black and white ABC TV series during the early 1960s, a Hanna-Barbera cartoon during the ’70s, two Paramount features which made over $240M WW during the early 1990s and a recent Broadway show.

Matt Lieberman wrote the script, which follows the kooky Addams family as they face-off against a crafty reality-TV host voiced by Janney while also preparing for their extended family to arrive for a major celebration, Addams-style.

Vernon is producing with Gail Berman, via her shingle The Jackal Group, and Alex Schwartz. Andrew Mittman, Kevin Miserocchi and Joe Earley are EPs. Tabitha Shick, MGM’s Executive Director, Worldwide Motion Pictures is overseeing the project on behalf of the studio. CG Animation and digital visual effects production is underway in Vancouver at Cinesite Studios.

Vernon said in a statement, “Greg and I have always been a fan of the Addams Family in past versions, so when we set out to make this movie, we were excited to do something new. With that in mind, I drew from the brilliantly original Charles Addams New Yorker cartoons for the look of the film and decided to tell the story of how Gomez and Morticia meet, find their house and start their family. This unique approach is what drew me in to direct the film. The reimagining also extends to the stellar cast we’ve put together who will each bring their own spin to our film that will appeal to longtime fans of the Addams and introduce them to a new generation.”

“Conrad and Greg are masters of animation with the keen ability to create something both kids and their parents will enjoy for different reasons. Adding to that a world class caliber of talent with Oscar, Charlize, Chloë, Finn, Nick, Bette and Allison – we can’t wait to bring their fresh and modern take on The Addams Family to the worldwide audience,” said Jonathan Glickman, president of MGM Motion Pictures Group.
https://deadline.com/2018/06/charliz...ey-1202403723/

majorjoe23 06-05-18 02:31 PM

Re: The Addams Family (2019) - V: Isaac, Theron, Janney, Middler, Moretz, Wolfhard, K

Too legit.

RichC2 06-05-18 02:59 PM

Re: The Addams Family (2019) - V: Isaac, Theron, Janney, Middler, Moretz, Wolfhard, K

Whoomp, there it is.

Mike86 06-05-18 03:24 PM

Could be alright. I like the image shown so far. I wasn’t a fan of Sausage Party though so the directors of it being involved don’t get my interest.

TomOpus 06-05-18 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13346644)
Could be alright. I like the image shown so far. I wasn’t a fan of Sausage Party though so the directors of it being involved don’t get my interest.

While I didn't like Sausage Party, I think this has a better chance of being decent.

jpcamb 06-06-18 08:30 AM

WTF? so now we are getting animated remakes? Who is asking for this? Even before opening the thead I was bugged they were remaking something that has already being remade, but now as an animated thing? Ugh.

Decker 06-06-18 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13347082)
WTF? so now we are getting animated remakes? Who is asking for this? Even before opening the thead I was bugged they were remaking something that has already being remade, but now as an animated thing? Ugh.

The Addams Family were originally a series of cartoons. This isn't like remaking Shawshank Redemption or Platoon as an animated movie.

Hokeyboy 06-06-18 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13347082)

It's not a remake; it's another adaptation of the original Charles Addams classic illustrations from New Yorker magazine. As is every other adaptation (the movies, TV shows, etc.)

And judging by the photo above, this (at least visually) looks closer to Addams's original illustrations than any of the movies or TV show.

Mr. Flix 06-06-18 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13347102)
It's not a remake; it's another adaptation of the original Charles Addams classic illustrations from New Yorker magazine. As is every other adaptation (the movies, TV shows, etc.)

And judging by the photo above, this (at least visually) looks closer to Addams's original illustrations than any of the movies or TV show.

Yup. I hope the style indicates an awareness of the series' morbid humor. Last thing we need is an Addams Family movie with poop and fart jokes.