Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sonic The Hedgehog (2020, D: Fowler) S: Carrey, Marsden, Schwartz

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sonic The Hedgehog (2020, D: Fowler) S: Carrey, Marsden, Schwartz

Old 05-02-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts
re: Sonic The Hedgehog (2020, D: Fowler) S: Carrey, Marsden, Schwartz

Originally Posted by tanman
Unfortunately they aren't rumors.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/547440...std-blackmail/
Old 05-02-19, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Wow, pretty cool they’re actually listening to what fans want instead of just ignoring them. Curious what the redesign will look like.
I think they did something like that after the first trailer came out for Ang Lee's Hulk movie as well.
Old 05-02-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 637 Posts

Was talking more about his Anti-vaccine views.
Old 05-02-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How do you fuck up the design of a character so badly when he was essentially animated for you to begin with?

Much like TMNT/Transformers people in Hollywood are spending lots of money to change simple details which only takes away from the nostalgia they are trying to sell in the first place.
Old 05-03-19, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
How do you fuck up the design of a character so badly when he was essentially animated for you to begin with?
Yeah, it's hard to believe they fucked up this hard. The design is right there for you. Almost feels like they did this deliberately to go viral.

Old 05-03-19, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DthRdrX

Much like TMNT/Transformers people in Hollywood are spending lots of money to change simple details which only takes away from the nostalgia they are trying to sell in the first place.
It's because it's people who aren't real fans of the property. You can tell the difference between the ones you mentioned and Bumblebee or the MCU or The Force Awakens where you can tell that they are crafted and cared for by people who are fans of the property to begin with.

Originally Posted by Finisher
Yeah, it's hard to believe they fucked up this hard. The design is right there for you. Almost feels like they did this deliberately to go viral.
I bet they knew they had a problem once the teaser poster got grief about it's look. I wonder if they just put everything they already had into the trailer to see what the reaction is and to see if there is a need to make some drastic changes.

I for one applaud them for being willing to throw that away and start over. It can't be cheap to do that. Hell it took them..what approximately 3 billion transformers movies before they FINALLY gave fans a design aesthetic they wanted.

Old 05-03-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope all the people celebrating about the redesign actually go and see this movie. I thought the design looked like butt (shockingly so), but I'm not invested in this at all, and will never watch this movie (this movie looks like it has more problems then just a bad design, and even then it doesn't feel like a movie aimed at a 37 year old man). However, for the fans with responses akin to acting like they've toppled the Axis of Evil or some shit -- them fools best be in the theater opening weekend.
Old 05-03-19, 10:03 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I hope all the people celebrating about the redesign actually go and see this movie. I thought the design looked like butt (shockingly so), but I'm not invested in this at all, and will never watch this movie (this movie looks like it has more problems then just a bad design, and even then it doesn't feel like a movie aimed at a 37 year old man). However, for the fans with responses akin to acting like they've toppled the Axis of Evil or some shit -- them fools best be in the theater opening weekend.
They won't. Guaranteed.
Old 05-03-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really am not trying to shit on anyone's joy or enthusiasm, but this kinda reaction just feels off to me. I can't quite put my finger on why.
Old 05-03-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
The studio could have just ignored what the fans wanted as is often the case and left the design as is. I would imagine a lot of the fans who shit on the design are big Sega/Sonic fans who would have seen the film anyways and now maybe are doing so a tad less begrudgingly. Even if they don’t though I don’t see why they beat see it. I mean what happens if they don’t? A sequel isn’t made? Big deal if it ends up being a bad film.

Personally I like the idea that Sonic is being redesigned, but I don’t have a lot of investment in seeing the film either way. I like the character and games, but I wouldn’t say I’m a huge fan where I desperately wanted a film in the first place. I just think it’s cool the studio and director are actually listening to what people want, which is fairly rare.
Old 05-03-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if they fix the look of Sonic, that's not going to change the fact that the trailer made the movie look like garbage.
Old 05-03-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
They won't. Guaranteed.
Agree 100%
Old 05-03-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

dvdtalkers: But but but FAN SERVICE IS BAAAAAAAADDDDD

Make up yer minds Nerds!
Old 05-03-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

The movie looks terrible and I won't see it. I have no affection for Sonic. But if anyone does want to see it, they at least deserve an animated character who actually looks like the previous versions of this animated character, so I'm glad they are making the change.

Of course, they could have avoided this added expense by simply showing the design to anyone who knows what Sonic actually looks like.
Old 05-03-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The studio could have just ignored what the fans wanted as is often the case and left the design as is. I would imagine a lot of the fans who shit on the design are big Sega/Sonic fans who would have seen the film anyways and now maybe are doing so a tad less begrudgingly. Even if they don’t though I don’t see why they beat see it. I mean what happens if they don’t? A sequel isn’t made? Big deal if it ends up being a bad film.
Sure, and nothing happens if they don't. I just feel like if you're going to be vocal about this and the studio takes your thoughts to heart, you owe (I use the term "owe" very lightly) it to them to at least support the thing you said you wanted. That's all. But you're right, a lot of these fans were probably already on the hook to go already.

ETA: I'm talking about the people who were demanding the design be changed, and/or acting like some great assualt was done to them because the design was not good/too their liking. Not people who were just like this looks fugly.

Last edited by boredsilly; 05-03-19 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The studio could have just ignored what the fans wanted as is often the case and left the design as is...I just think it’s cool the studio and director are actually listening to what people want, which is fairly rare.

I doubt it's a case of the studio listening to the fans. They're probably worried that the Sonic trailer is trending only massive negative reactions. They're not going to waist money re-doing the CGI just to make some die-hard 90s Sega nerds happy.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Even if they fix the look of Sonic, that's not going to change the fact that the trailer made the movie look like garbage.
Exactly. Yeah, the design for Sonic looks bad, but everything else about this looks like bad too. Live-action Super Mario Bros status.

I never really knew the backstory on Sonic the Hedgehog when I was playing the video games, but I just assumed it took place on some kind of fantasy world that was populated only by talking animals, like Goof Troop and Ducktales. So I would think a full on, CGI fantasy movie would have been more appropriate. That's probably too costly so they're going the Masters of the Universe route and just making it take place on present day Earth.

Apparently there's two different backstories for Sonic.
U.S. version.
Japan version.

It seems like the Japanese version could have easily been adapted into a live-action Sonic-on-Earth film. Kind of like the Christopher Robin film that came out last year. Have the little girl, now grown up, see Sonic and exclaim, "OMG! Sonic, you're real!" That way they could still have it be live-action in the "real" world, but still have Sonic's more cartoony-like form make sense.

Last edited by brayzie; 05-03-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I doubt it's a case of the studio listening to the fans. They're probably worried that the Sonic trailer is trending only massive negative reactions. They're not going to waist money re-doing the CGI just to make some die-hard 90s Sega nerds happy.
I mean the director is the one who came out and said that they heard the reactions and are reacting by making the change. I’m sure a lot of those downvotes are from fans not happy with the look.
Old 05-03-19, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I mean the director is the one who came out and said that they heard the reactions and are reacting by making the change. I’m sure a lot of those downvotes are from fans not happy with the look.
My point being, is that the only vocal reactions to the trailer seem to be negative. Whether that's only coming from die-hard Sonic fans, Gen-Xers, or internet trolls, all the general public is seeing is harsh criticisms, so they already have it planted in their mind that this film is "not going to be good." The studio's don't want that negative perception. Look what happened to the Ghostbusters reboot.
When the first Transformers film came out, yeah, there were old-school Transformers fans who bemoaned the robot designs, but that seemed drowned out by the excitement of a big budget, spectacle featuring live-action giant anime mechas fighting for the first time.

Plus, the Detective Pikachu trailer did it first. That one looks 100x better, and Pikachu looks exactly the same as he does in the video games.
Old 05-03-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts

I may be totally wrong (probably) but the tone of this story kind of makes me think this conversation may have happened:

Director: ... and here is our design for Sonic.
Studio Exec: No, no, no. We need to redesign the character. It needs to be more human so people will connect with him. It should be more realistic.
Director: Uhh ... fans are going to hate it.
Studio Exec: People cannot connect to a cartoon. It needs to be realistic. Plus we need to sell new merchandise!

After the trailer ...
Director: Told you so.
Studio Exec: ***** you.
Old 05-03-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I may be totally wrong (probably) but the tone of this story kind of makes me think this conversation may have happened:

Director: ... and here is our design for Sonic.
Studio Exec: No, no, no. We need to redesign the character. It needs to be more human so people will connect with him. It should be more realistic.
Director: Uhh ... fans are going to hate it.
Studio Exec: People cannot connect to a cartoon. It needs to be realistic. Plus we need to sell new merchandise!

After the trailer ...
Director: Told you so.
Studio Exec: ***** you.
I'm sure something like that's what happened.
The studio execs probably saw the success of GOTG and the way people responded to Rocket Raccoon. So they had Sonic designed more in that direction, as opposed to the recognizable cartoon version.

Last edited by brayzie; 05-03-19 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Rocket Raccoon, in all honesty, should have been a failure on the big screen. However, they somehow made it work for him. Sonic never needed to be Rocket's earth lovechild.
Old 05-03-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

seems like a solid redo
Old 05-04-19, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ who did that?
Old 05-04-19, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

The problem with Sonic's look is they tried to make him look "human like." I don't that the correct choice of words but i'm running with it. I don't understand why they just didn't create him to look like his video game self, instead of a guy wearing a blue suit with bad dentures.
Old 05-04-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 291 Posts

I don't get why there is outrage over Sonic's eyes. It doesn't change that the movie looks like shit and I have no need to see it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.