Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Boba: A Star Wars Story

Old 06-04-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Untitled Boba Fett Star Wars Anthology Film (2018)

God, I hope Han and Boba weren't childhood pals who had a falling out. I would HATE that.
Old 06-04-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it looks like they're going to mine the shit out of the period between III and IV. Patiently waiting for something from the KoTOR period.
Old 06-04-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't say I really blame them. There's bound to be a ton of interesting stories between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. Plus they can use some classic characters like Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Vader, The Emperor, Tarkin, Han, Chewie, etc. Makes sense to bridge that gap if you ask me.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-04-15 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-04-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Josh Trank sets the story straight on why he left 'Star Wars'
By Josh Rottenberg

When Josh Trank announced May 1 that he was dropping out of a planned “Star Wars” spinoff film less than a year after being brought on to direct, it didn’t take a Jedi master to intuit that the news would cause a major disturbance in the Force.

But speaking publicly about his departure from the project for the first time, Trank – the director of 2012's sci-fi sleeper hit “Chronicle” and the upcoming “Fantastic Four” reboot – says he wasn’t prepared for just how nasty things would get.

“At first I was like, ‘I’m just not going to say anything because it will blow over,’” Trank told The Times last week in an interview for an upcoming Hero Complex magazine cover story on “Fantastic Four.” “But I was shocked – it just hasn’t blown over. People get so excited to raise their pitchforks.

“I knew that this was going to be questioned and it was going to come under skepticism as to why I left ‘Star Wars,’” he continued. "And it was hard. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make in my life."

In the original joint statement with Lucasfilm announcing his exit from the project – which came less than two weeks after he was a no-show at a panel at the Star Wars Celebration fan convention in Anaheim – Trank said he was bowing out of the planned second “Star Wars” spinoff film to “pursue some original creative opportunities.”

For her part, Lucasfilm VP of development Kiri Hart said it had been “a privilege to collaborate with Josh” and that the company was “grateful for the energy and love of 'Star Wars' that he brought to the process.”

But rumors quickly began swirling that there were deeper, darker reasons behind the parting of ways. The Hollywood Reporter, citing unnamed sources, reported that Trank had, in fact, been fired from the "Star Wars" film due to his “erratic” behavior on the set of “Fantastic Four.” Variety alleged that a rift had opened up between Trank and “Fantastic Four” producer and co-writer Simon Kinberg, who is also producing the “Star Wars” spinoff film.

Speaking alongside Kinberg, Trank adamantly pushed back against those allegations.

“None of those facts were true – and any of the facts that were true were spun in such a maliciously wrong way,” he said.

The director strongly disputed charges that he was isolated and indecisive on the set of “Fantastic Four.” “If you ask anybody by name who I’ve worked with, from Simon to [producer] Hutch [Parker] or my crew or anybody else, they’d be like, ‘We’ve been working really hard on this movie and we’ve had an excellent time working together,’ ” he said. “It’s been a challenging movie – for all of the right reasons.”

Trank also denied reports that, during the filming of “Fantastic Four" in New Orleans, his dogs had caused as much as $100,000 in damage to a house he was renting. “Please – it’s crazy and it’s not true,” he said. “I have three pugs and a little Boston terrier – that’s all I’m saying. They’re fine. I’ve been living in another house for over a year now and there’s literally no problem. I love my landlord.”

As for rumors that he was behind an angry, defensive rant that surfaced last week on the anonymous Internet bulletin board 4Chan, Trank said that was simply a bizarre hoax someone perpetrated at his expense. “Everybody wanted to go out there and say, ‘Josh has lost his mind,’” he said. “It’s just been an avalanche of things.”

Having spent more than a year working on the development of the standalone “Star Wars” film – details of which are still under wraps – Trank said the decision to drop out was extremely difficult. The director has called the "Star Wars" universe "one of my biggest influences."

But after months of intense scrutiny and sometimes blistering criticism from many in the fan community over “Fantastic Four” – including his decision to change the race of the Johnny Storm character – Trank said he couldn’t imagine taking on another giant franchise right away.
This is particularly cruel. I haven't really seen this level of vehemence against a filmmaker. And it's surreal and unfair. - Simon Kinberg, "Fantastic Four" producer and co-writer

“I want to do something original after this because I’ve been living under public scrutiny, as you’ve seen, for the last four years of my life,” he said. “And it’s not healthy for me right now in my life. I want to do something that’s below the radar.”

“I have a great relationship with everyone at Lucasfilm and with Kari Hart," he continued. "And they all understood it because this whole experience for me has been very psychologically hard.”

In his own first comments on the flap, Kinberg – who is himself no stranger to the intense and unruly passions of the Internet fan community, having worked on several “X-Men” films and other high-profile projects – came strongly to Trank’s defense.

“I’ve been around some version of this for a long time,” said Kinberg, who credited Trank's vision for "Fantastic Four" with convincing him to sign on to the project. “This, I would say, is particularly cruel. I haven’t really seen this level of vehemence against a filmmaker. And it’s surreal and unfair.

“Simon and I have become closer friends through this,” Trank said. “To have the rest of the world – other than the people who know us – think that we’re in some blood feud with each other over something…” He trailed off.

“It feels sometimes like I’m living in a Paddy Chayefsky script or something like that,” he said with a dark laugh. “Every misconception that could possibly be made about this has been made to a hilariously satirical degree. And it's people who haven't met me before. If they met me – I don't know, I feel like I'm a pretty harmless person.”
Old 06-15-15, 07:08 AM

Ever since director Josh Trank departed his post as the director of the second Star Wars Anthology movie, the folks at Disney and LucasFilm have been searching for his replacement. Previously we heard rumors that both Jon Favreau and Matthew Vaughn were being considered for the recently-vacated gig, but now it seems that a new player has entered the game: former Wonder Woman director Michelle MacLaren.

While there sadly aren't too many details to go along with this story, it's the folks on the video podcast Meet The Movie Press who have revealed word from their sources that MacLaren is one of the filmmakers that the Star Wars franchise is considering to helm the second Anthology movie that is currently on schedule to be released in the summer of 2018. There's sadly no indication in regards to exactly how close she is to getting the job, though she has apparently met with the proper people at Disney about potentially helming the project.

Michelle MacLaren first started getting some serious attention from the movie world late last year when it was revealed that she had signed on to helm the first ever Wonder Woman live-action film that is currently in development at Warner Bros. as part of their growing DC Cinematic Universe. Sadly, she had some creative differences with the studio that the two parties were unable to settle, which ultimately led her to leave the project and be replaced by Patty Jenkins. Should she get the Star Wars Anthology, it would be MacLaren's first job directing a feature, though her experience on television is outstanding - famously helming episodes of acclaimed shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and, most recently, Better Call Saul.

At this stage, not much is known about the Star Wars Anthology film in discussion here, though it has been strongly suggested that the movie will center on the fan favorite character Boba Fett. Obviously this has not yet been confirmed, and any and all story details beyond that are currently in question, but the prospect of Michelle MacLaren helming a movie about the universe's most notorious bounty hunter is most definitely an exciting one. Not only would it be great to see a female filmmaker take charge on such a big project, but given her credits mentioned earlier it's not too much of a stretch to say that MacLaren knows what she is doing where anti-heroes are concerned. Obviously she doesn't have the gig yet, but she represents a very awesome option.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Forme...ilm-72016.html
Old 10-10-15, 06:06 PM

Re: Star Wars Anthology: Untitled Boba Fett Film (TBD)

Have at it...

Jeff Sneider from The Wrap, revealed during his Meet the Movie Press podcast that Straight Outta Compton director F. Gary Gray was considering two films for his next project. One was the eighth Fast & Furious film, which he recently confirmed that he will be directing, and the other was a LucasFilm project, which Jeff believes was for either Indiana Jones 5 or the Boba Fett standalone movie that Fantastic Four director Josh Trank was once attached to.

While dropping this juicy nugget, Jeff said that he thinks "Boba Fett will be African-American" and he has heard a rumor that Michael B. Jordan is being considered to play Star Wars' notorious bounty hunter.

Additionally, he believes that Walt Disney Studios is making every effort to hire a non-white male director to helm the project to satisfy their new diversity mandate.

Listen to Sneider's comments in the video below.

http://comicbook.com/2015/10/10/star...boba-fett-rol/
Old 10-10-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 10-10-15, 07:15 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

if you're going to see Boba Fett without his mask at all in this movie it has already failed.
Old 10-10-15, 07:52 PM
Banned

Pretty much, yeah. I liked that book they had but I was a kid and SW was way new to me. It just sounded badass all the shit he did in that thing. Haven't read that story since I was in the 8th grade.
Old 10-10-15, 08:21 PM
Banned

If they retcon Boba Fett into a black guy, then they really are throwing the prequel trilogy completely out the window.
Old 10-10-15, 08:43 PM
Suspended

Fuck that!
Old 10-10-15, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This has all the makings of Disney trolling Fox over the hoopla before the bomb that was Fantastic Four was released.

Disney/Marvel has been pretty gestapo in going after actors/directors for revealing too much on twitter. I doubt Gray is serious and revealing a casting decision like this before Disney.
Old 10-10-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the one hand Michael B Jordan is a good actor and I wouldn't have a problem with him as Boba, but if the Prequel Trilogy is still in play I don't want his race changed. Plus I agree with others that I don't want to see a bunch of scenes with him without the helmet which is bound to happen with a bigger name.
Old 10-10-15, 08:59 PM
Suspended

The prequels are still in play. They wouldn't be releasing new toys, books, or two big releases of the movies in a year. Half of the shit I see from Disneyland/ world gift shop photos are prequel product. It's an easy way to get little kids hooked.
Old 10-10-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really hate to be one of those guys, but Boba Fett either has to bevplayed by Temeura Morrison or Bodie Taylor.

But I'll second TGM and say that Boba Fett should not be shown without the mask.
Old 10-10-15, 11:37 PM

The new novel, Star Wars Aftermath might have a hint in it:

Spoiler:
There is an interlude chapter set on Tatooine where someone is on a Jawa sandcrawler, and he finds Mandalorian armor with acid marks on it. So maybe the OT's Boba is dead, and someone new takes on the armor and name.
Old 10-11-15, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I really hate to be one of those guys, but Boba Fett either has to bevplayed by Temeura Morrison or Bodie Taylor.

But I'll second TGM and say that Boba Fett should not be shown without the mask.
Fett should be like Judge Dredd. You never see him without helmet. They need an actor who can do what Karl Urban did in "Dredd" but amped up, create a compelling performance using everything but facial expressions.
Old 10-11-15, 07:51 AM
Banned

I do hope that female Stormtrooper commander(? or whatever...) in VII keeps her helmet on the whole time too.
Old 10-11-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Super X View Post
Fett should be like Judge Dredd. You never see him without helmet. They need an actor who can do what Karl Urban did in "Dredd" but amped up, create a compelling performance using everything but facial expressions.
Is that even possible?
Old 10-11-15, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Is that even possible?
Body language is a hell of a thing. It can be done. Timing, posture, voice, and movement is an amazing thing.
Old 10-11-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, since Fett is a clone and we already know what he's going to look like, then making him masked is kind of stupid now at this point. Attack of the Clones already demystified that.
Old 10-11-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fett could do bad ass shit for 2 hours without taking the helmet off or saying a word and then during the post credit scene he takes the helmet off revealing Jar Jar Binks.
Old 10-11-15, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Well, since Fett is a clone and we already know what he's going to look like, then making him masked is kind of stupid now at this point. Attack of the Clones already demystified that.
Not so. Maybe Boba doesn't take off the helmet ever. Using it as his face and front of person only. Sure he may be a clone but that doesn't mean he's the exact man that Jango was.
Old 10-11-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Not so. Maybe Boba doesn't take off the helmet ever. Using it as his face and front of person only. Sure he may be a clone but that doesn't mean he's the exact man that Jango was.
But he is, though. Unless they rewrite the shit out of it and pretend attack of the clones didn't happen.

We already saw him as a kid and the rest of the clones looked the same in all various stages of growth. It fits that he would still look the same. Unless they do something stupid and say that his cells or some shit made it so that he would look different by the time he reached adulthood.
Old 10-11-15, 02:40 PM
Banned

I'm talking about his methods, his character, his mentality, etc.

Also remember that the clones were grown to that stage. This guy has actually had a life to development in.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.