DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Wildlife (2018, D: Paul Dano) S: Gyllenhaal, Mulligan, Oxenbould, Camp (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644139-wildlife-2018-d-paul-dano-s-gyllenhaal-mulligan-oxenbould-camp.html)

dex14 05-24-18 09:54 AM

Wildlife (2018, D: Paul Dano) S: Gyllenhaal, Mulligan, Oxenbould, Camp

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WemDKlmMAIs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Directed by: Paul Dano
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Carey Mulligan, Bill Camp, Ex Oxenbould & Zoe Margaret Colletti

Opening in theaters October 19th

IFC Films presents WILDLIFE, the directorial debut of Paul Dano (THERE WILL BE BLOOD, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE), co-written along with Zoe Kazan (THE BIG SICK). Elegantly adapted from Richard Ford’s novel of the same name, Carey Mulligan (MUDBOUND, AN EDUCATION) delivers one of her finest performances to date as Jeanette, a complex woman whose self-determination and self-involvement disrupts the values and expectations of a 1960s nuclear family. Fourteen-year-old Joe played by newcomer Ed Oxenbould, is the only child of Jeanette (Mulligan) and Jerry (Jake Gyllenhaal)—a housewife and a golf pro—in a small town in 1960s Montana. Nearby, an uncontrolled forest fire rages close to the Canadian border, and when Jerry loses his job—and his sense of purpose—he decides to join the cause of fighting the fire, leaving his wife and son to fend for themselves. Suddenly forced into the role of an adult, Joe witnesses his mother's struggle as she tries to keep her head above water. With precise details and textures of its specific time and place, WILDLIFE commits to the viewpoint of a teenage boy observing the gradual dissolution of his parents’ marriage. The film premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival, and will also screened as the opening night film in La Semaine de la Critique at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival. WILDLIFE will be released by IFC Films on October 19, 2018.

CAST Carey Mulligan, Ed Oxenbould, Bill Camp, and Jake Gyllenhaal
DIRECTED BY Paul Dano
WRITTEN BY Zoe Kazan and Paul Dano
PRODUCERS Alex Saks, Paul Dano, Oren Moverman, Ann Ruark, Jake Gyllenhaal, Riva Maker
RUN TIME 104 minutes
DISTRIBUTOR IFC Films

Coral 05-24-18 11:37 AM

re: Wildlife (2018, D: Paul Dano) S: Gyllenhaal, Mulligan, Oxenbould, Camp

Looks interesting.

The direction and cinematography look good. Wouldn't be surprised if PTA had some influence on him.

Based on a Richard Ford book has me interested as well. Never read this particular book, but liked others I've read.

TomOpus 05-24-18 01:16 PM

I might catch it to see how Paul Dano does as a director. Not a bad cast to have as his first stint in the director's chair.

dex14 09-07-18 10:40 AM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/..._SX675_AL_.jpg

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OoJpVQTY_t4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

asianxcore 09-08-18 06:09 PM

Re: Wildlife (2018, D: Paul Dano) S: Gyllenhaal, Mulligan, Oxenbould, Camp

Hoping to get a ticket to this when it screens at the Mill Valley Film Festival.

Paul Dano & Carey Mulligan are going to be in attendance at the first screening (of two) during its time at the Festival.

Daytripper 01-11-19 10:13 PM

Saw this tonight and thought it was great. Dano did an amazing job. I think he has a future behind the camera should he decide to direct more. I also feel this was Mulligan's best performance to date. With "Never Let Me Go" a close second. But the heart and soul of this movie goes to Ed Oxenbould, who plays Mulligan and Gyllenhaal's 14 year old son. The weight that was put on that poor kid's shoulders was heartbreaking. This was hands down one of 2018's best. 9/10 rating from me.

dex14 01-11-19 10:29 PM

I watched it the other day too. Great acting all around.

Daytripper 01-11-19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13478767)
I watched it the other day too. Great acting all around.

How is this getting overlooked during awards season? I'm sorry, but Mulligan's performance is just as good if not better than Lady Gaga.

dex14 01-11-19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13478769)
How is this getting overlooked during awards season? I'm sorry, but Mulligan's performance is just as good if not better than Lady Gaga.

Yea. I’m not usually a fan of hers, although she has been in great movies and not a bad actress. I did think she was good here.

It got some Spirit Award noms.

Daytripper 01-11-19 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13478773)

Yea. I’m not usually a fan of hers, although she has been in great movies and not a bad actress. I did think she was good here.

It got some Spirit Award noms.

Agree with you here. I've never been a huge fan of her either, but she has been in some great films. Other noteworthy performances include "An Education" and "Far from the Madding Crowd".

JeffTheAlpaca 06-07-19 07:22 PM

I saw this on Showtime.

It was good though

Spoiler:
Jake was barely in the movie but if you have seen it you know why.

I hope Dano directs more movies and still act.

mickey65 06-07-19 11:46 PM

Too slow for me. I turned it off about half-way thru...

JeffTheAlpaca 06-08-19 06:35 PM

I hope the kid has all of his hair when he hits his 20's and 30's