Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Quiet Place or Get Out?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which movie beats the other for you?
A Quiet Place
55.00%
Get Out
42.50%
Didn't see either
2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one did you enjoy more?

The big talk of 2017 was Jordan Peele‘s social horror Get Out, which won him an Oscar for “Best Original Screenplay”. Not only is the film fantastic, but it was a huge box office success. Hailing out of Blumhouse and Universal Pictures, the film had a reported budget of only $4.5M and conquered the box office with a $255M worldwide take.

A year later, Platinum Dunes and Paramount Pictures’ A Quiet Place (read our review out of SXSW) took a similar release slot and has had even more success. As of this past weekend, the John Krasinski-directed sci-fi horror has bested Get Out at the box office in all cats, just topping $300M as it works its way to a home video release.
Old 05-22-18, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
Re: A Quiet Place or Get Out?

Big fan of both. Which was more enjoyable to me? I think I'd give a slight edge to A Quiet Place.
Old 05-23-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

No option for tie vote?

I asked myself the same question after seeing A Quiet Place, and I prefer Get Out. It had more scary moments for me, and of course it had the bonus of being more likely to actually happen, which makes it harder to dismiss as fantasy.
Old 05-23-18, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

option 4. "Get Out of my Quiet Place."
Old 05-23-18, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Get Out is the more important film but I enjoyed both.
Old 05-23-18, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Both are fantastic, imaginative, thrilling movies. I prefer Get Out but it isn't exactly a blowout. If only A Quiet Place hadn't relied on one too many cheap jump scares.
Old 05-23-18, 08:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

To me, Get Out is rewatchable, but I don't feel like A Quiet Place will be. Time will tell, but yeah... Both were highly enjoyable.
Old 05-23-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
To me, Get Out is rewatchable, but I don't feel like A Quiet Place will be. Time will tell, but yeah... Both were highly enjoyable.
I agree with this.

Get Out will likely have better replay value due to the dark comedy and satire. Overall, however, I thought A Quiet Place was scarier and an overall better movie, but I'm not sure those initial scares and tense scenes will remain as potent on repeat screenings.

The overall tone and acting of Get Out was somewhat hyper-realistic, whereas A Quiet Place actually felt more grounded in reality (which I know is an ironic statement given its more supernatural elements).

My vote went for A Quiet Place, but I like them both.
Old 05-23-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

A quiet place all the way for me. I just didn't think Get out was all that... I don't understand the hype on that film.
Old 06-07-18, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

"Get Out" said more while still being scary and entertaining. Plus, there's something a little scarier about really creepy concepts or scary people.
"A Quiet Place" was a fun watch but was a much more mundane "hide from the monster" horror film. Not bad at all, but the keep-quiet angle was really its only hook. Which is really in every monster/horror film, just not the whole thing. I will admit I liked the family component (something I liked about Jeepers Creepers as well).

I think when "Get Out" finished, I sat in my seat for a few minutes just processing. I didn't do that for A Quiet Place.
Old 06-07-18, 08:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I find both to be excellent films that I plan to own. But Get Out is a thought provoking classic that will be watched and discussed for years to come, while A Quiet Place will soon be largely forgotten.
Old 06-08-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

AQP for me. Get Out worked fine as satire but sort of limped along as a thriller.

AQP had little going on beneath the surface, but it was a good time.
Old 06-08-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Both great films but Get Out will have a longer and more impactful effect on culture.
Old 06-08-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
AQP had little going on beneath the surface, but it was a good time.
Disagree. A Good Time was hyperkynetic and sociopathic. Both were enjoyable but not equivalent.
Old 07-01-18, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
"Get Out" said more while still being scary and entertaining. Plus, there's something a little scarier about really creepy concepts or scary people.
"A Quiet Place" was a fun watch but was a much more mundane "hide from the monster" horror film. Not bad at all, but the keep-quiet angle was really its only hook. Which is really in every monster/horror film, just not the whole thing. I will admit I liked the family component (something I liked about Jeepers Creepers as well).

I think when "Get Out" finished, I sat in my seat for a few minutes just processing. I didn't do that for A Quiet Place.
This
Old 07-01-18, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Get Out by a mile.

I really liked A Quiet Place, it made me a nervous wreck. But at the end of the day, it's just a well-made genre thriller

Get Out is something else entirely. It's a thriller, a comedy, a social commentary and a hell of a well acted drama. It's a watershed movie.

I don't see A Quiet Place winning a Best Original Screenplay Oscar next year, that's for sure.
Old 07-01-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Get Out by a long shot. I think I am the only one here that didn't like A Quite Place as much as everyone else.
Old 07-01-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Get Out
Old 07-01-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

A Quiet Place had me on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole movie.

Get Out was thought-provoking and well-done, but A Quiet Place gets my vote.
Old 08-26-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Get Out by a long shot. I think I am the only one here that didn't like A Quite Place as much as everyone else.
I agree completely. Get Out, though not perfect, is in a wholly different league. I finally caught A Quiet Place a couple of weeks ago and found it grossly cloying and contrived in the worst Hollywood tradition. It's a monster movie-tearjerker hybrid, all of it non-frightening dross. The critical acclaim has me truly stumped, but I guess it's de rigueur to overestimate some of today's horror films. I haven't any idea why. Compared to the landmark horror classics of the '70s, almost all of today's avalanche of horror output is neutered, laughable, regurgitated. Get Out was a pleasingly mature exception, and there are a few others, but future viewers and critics will look back and wonder what everyone in the 2010s was smoking.
Old 08-26-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

A Quiet Place was a movie to see in the theater. I’ve never heard an audience so, well, quiet.
Old 08-26-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I enjoyed A Quiet Place a lot more than Get Out.

I think I would have liked Get Out a lot more if it didn’t rely on the silly, antiquated, plot device of unknowingly hypnotizing characters.
Old 08-26-18, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I honestly did not like Get Out and don't understand the hype about it.

A Quiet Place on the other hand I very much enjoyed, although it falls about logically if you think about it, so it's one of those shows you just have to roll with and not think too much about.
Old 08-27-18, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I agree completely. Get Out, though not perfect, is in a wholly different league. I finally caught A Quiet Place a couple of weeks ago and found it grossly cloying and contrived in the worst Hollywood tradition. It's a monster movie-tearjerker hybrid, all of it non-frightening dross. The critical acclaim has me truly stumped, but I guess it's de rigueur to overestimate some of today's horror films. I haven't any idea why. Compared to the landmark horror classics of the '70s, almost all of today's avalanche of horror output is neutered, laughable, regurgitated. Get Out was a pleasingly mature exception, and there are a few others, but future viewers and critics will look back and wonder what everyone in the 2010s was smoking.
I'm on the same page as both of you guys. While I thought A Quiet Place was decent, I have no idea why it is getting so much acclaim. Get Out, on the other hand, has gotten better and better in my mind the more times I've watched...And I noticed many things I didn't on my second and third viewings, and even more things after listening to the thoughtful commentary...I just think Get Out will prove to be more memorable and will have a much larger impact than A Quiet Place...In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years people didn't even remember A Quiet Place...