Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Yes, when Disney took over and wiped out the old canon, they immediately declared The Clone Wars to be part of the new canon along with the (then) upcoming Rebels.

I don't think Rebels did anything too wacky. If you're talking about stuff like the Force Wolves, there's a lot of implied spiritual and metaphysical stuff about the whole Jedi/Force thing that the movies don't touch on but should exist in the background.
The animated shorts , Forces of Destiny, are also considered canon, as well, and they've done some interesting and weird things.
Old 05-28-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Manco
I don't buy the Star Wars "Fatigue" excuse.

I think this guy hit the nailed it but some folks might dismiss it considering the source.

Go Woke,Go Broke
I have no problem with the source, I would consider this video a good opinion too. I don't like Grace Randolph and her channel most of the time, but she's done several good videos on Star Wars heading in the wrong direction.

Old 05-28-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Manco
I don't buy the Star Wars "Fatigue" excuse.

I think this guy hit the nailed it but some folks might dismiss it considering the source.

Go Woke,Go Broke
You can do good movies with those aspects. The fact the current movies are missing the classic magic is no surprise. My neighbors are huge Star Wars geeks but hate the action heavy, character-less, charmless, plot recycled direction of the sequels. And I can agree with that.

Save for Solo, they liked that one.

I do think Kennedy is doing a poor job organizing the franchise though. But you're going to see countless reasons "why" for a while, but I don't buy SJW. Mostly though, is they're movies by committee and checklist.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-28-18 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 01:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm as right wing as they come and I don't buy the SJW spin being put on the new Star Wars regime. I didn't feel like they were pushing feminism down anybody's throats with TFA, Rogue One, or the putrid (for other reasons) TLJ. Even tho Jyn Erso was "the lead" that movie really felt like an ensemble piece, and the "daddy-daughter" dynamic was a wiser choice than yet another Star Wars "father-son" tale. As for Rey, a slight female, being the focus of the sequel trilogies, that doesn't bother me either. It's just a new spin... and I'm sure if Luke was a female in the OT, to mix it up the hero in the ST would've been male.

I have yet to see Solo, but I will next weekend and am eagerly looking forward to it. It looks light, fun, and dumb. It's not Star War fatigue, it's the fact that Han Solo IS Harrison Ford and even someone who could impersonate him (yes, even my beloved Anthony Ingruber) was going to be a piss-poor copy at best. Rogue One worked because it didn't recast beloved favorites out of convenience (or necessity).

This should be a warning shot to those in preproduction of Fett: A Star Wars Story and some new bullshit Indiana Jones movie. These stand-alone Star Wars movies need to stick be fresh new takes with minimal (human) original character involvement. You want to pepper in a CGI cameo here or there, by all means, but that's the absolute limit.
Old 05-28-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

The SJW or woke-enness don’t matter. That’s just internet people attaching to political shit. Politics are an easy target for those unable to think critically.

Solo simply doesn’t elicit a strong visceral response from its viewers. Next to Deadpool 2 or Infinity Wars there is no question which films are stronger (and left me sinking in my seat and weeping). Marketing, themes, and even plot is secondary to being emotionally involved in what’s on screen for two hours.

It’s an enjoyable movie for a couple hours. But don’t expect to leave the theater emotionally exhausted. This isn’t one of those movies.
Old 05-28-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just saw this, really enjoyed it as a different take of the Star Wars Universe; this is what Lucas should have done instead of the prequels.
Old 05-28-18, 02:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Even if Solo was SJW propaganda (it isn’t), that’s not the reason it’s failing. People would have to SEE the movie to know that content was there.

The real reason it’s not performing? Lack of Harrison Ford. Same reason nobody watched “Young Indiana Jones”.
Old 05-28-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Since May 25, 1977, Star Wars has been about freedom fighting terrorists going up against a Nazi coded empire of fascists. The concept of "social justice warriors" is encoded into it's very DNA. Even the Jedi order of the Prequels are stand ins for neo-liberals - they give lip service to honor and justice, but still allow themselves to be under the thumb of a hulking, inflexible government bureaucracy.

The fact that the majority of the cast was white in the OT is unfortunate side effect of the studio system that George was still (despite his best efforts) working around and with.

Seeing more women and more people of color in the modern films is simply the storyline catching up to real life.
Old 05-28-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

So wait, this movie takes place before Phantom Menace, which means Han Solo is older than Darth Vader? WTF??
Old 05-28-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Maul cameo was cool but did anyone else catch the reference to Teras Kasi?
Yes. It reminded me of that shitty video game.
Old 05-28-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
So wait, this movie takes place before Phantom Menace, which means Han Solo is older than Darth Vader? WTF??
No, it takes place about 10 years before Han meets Luke.
Old 05-28-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

No, it's after Revenge of the Sith, but before Rogue One. That's 19 years, so the best guess is about 10 years before we see Han and Chewie in the cantina on Tatooine.

Maul survived his fall and showed up again in The Clone Wars and Rebels. They actually make it work pretty well, and he turns out to be an interesting character.

Here's a bit on the timeline:

https://www.cnet.com/news/solo-a-sta...-the-timeline/
Old 05-28-18, 03:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No it’s after.
Old 05-28-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

SW Celebration would have helped this movie, IMO.

Even Rogue One had it - London, though not as big event as LA or Orlando.
Old 05-28-18, 05:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just saw this with two of my daughters, we all thought it was good fun. I get the feeling this is going to have some decent word of mouth and might do better over the next few weeks than anticipated. I do agree harrison ford's version is so iconic it takes a bit to get past that, but overall I thought it was worth a watch at the theater.

All chewie scenes are worth the price of admission.
Old 05-28-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Saw this today and like others, thought it was good but not great.

They just tried to shoehorn too much origin shit in there. No reason to give a scene where Han gets his blaster. The Kessel Run was nothing special and didn't really need to be showed (but as someone else mentioned...maybe that works to Han's inflated ego...but everyone made a big deal out of it before they attempted it so I guess that doesn't really work). Save that for a future movie. I liked the way Han met Chewie. I enjoyed the way he got his last name but then got confused when he suddenly knows all about his Dad. Huh?

The robot was crap. Not funny or interesting. They already perfected the robot with an attitude in Rogue One. This was just stale. They should have switched the robot first mate with the four armed creature in the beginning. He was much more fun and interesting. The robot revolution could have been interesting but bombed in my opinion. And Lando loves a robot that looks like that and can have sex with it? Uh...okay. Watch me milk this alien's tits for a minute. Odd choices Disney is making on these sometimes.

Lando was good and I thought the guy playing Han did a better job than expected. He did his own thing with the character and didn't just try to imitate Harrison Ford which was smart. The Darth Maul scene was confusing for someone who doesn't reach into the extended universe.

The humor fell flat for the most part. Only a couple of mild chuckles in the movie which I believe hurt it as a whole. I will say it moved at a decent pace for a 2+ hour movie but I would have trimmed 15 minutes off of it. I liked all the actors in the movie (save for the robot voice).

I wouldn't mind a sequel. I wouldn't care if they didn't do one either. But it was better than TFA or TLJ at least. I would rather watch this again than either one of those movies.

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****
Old 05-28-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Just a theory here, but maybe one reason Solo is eating shit at the box office is because The Force Awakens ruined the character?

Think about it... in TFA Han Solo is an old man who lost the Millennium Falcon, he's separated from Leia, and his estranged son eventually stabs him through the chest with a lightsaber.

Han Solo used to be the coolest son of a bitch in the galaxy, but in TFA he went out like a fucking bitch.

Eve though I generally enjoyed TFA, it kind of soured me on the character. Even now when I'm watching the OT, all I can think about is how he's going to lose the Falcon and get killed by his shit lord son.
Old 05-28-18, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Han. Shoots. First!
Old 05-28-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It’s not performing because it’s not that great. GTFO if you think people are walking out of Solo feeling as good as they felt leaving Black Panther. Or any other movie that does absurdly high numbers.

Still enjoyable. Still wish we could see the Lord Miller version. And you should still check it out. Like the MCU and Middle Earth, I’m committed to keeping up with anything new.
Old 05-28-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

No, it's after Revenge of the Sith, but before Rogue One. That's 19 years, so the best guess is about 10 years before we see Han and Chewie in the cantina on Tatooine.

Maul survived his fall and showed up again in The Clone Wars and Rebels. They actually make it work pretty well, and he turns out to be an interesting character.

Here's a bit on the timeline:

https://www.cnet.com/news/solo-a-sta...-the-timeline/
I actually thought this would be confusing for people, despite the fact that there are storm troopers around clearly shows this is post episode 3. They better explain it in the next movie and not rely on people watching the Clone Wars cartoon.
Old 05-28-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I actually thought this would be confusing for people, despite the fact that there are storm troopers around clearly shows this is post episode 3. They better explain it in the next movie and not rely on people watching the Clone Wars cartoon.
I was totally confused until I came here and did some reading in this thread. After he appeared, I sat there trying to do the math in my head and was thinking either they made a mistake or I made a mistake.
Old 05-28-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The movie is just fine, but it's not great and it's not the film people who hated TLJ (which I was not one of) needed or wanted.

Looks like JJ Abrams needs to straighten the ship once again. Of the four "new" Star Wars movies, his is still the best, most fun, and best paced.
Old 05-28-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My opinion on why this is not doing well is 1) The Last Jedi turned off a good chunk of the fan base, b) brand oversaturation, and III) it's a decent-but-not-exciting movie that no one was begging for.

I don't think competition is a major factor. It's Star Wars. It should be plowing over Avengers and Deadpool 2 (two movies people actually WANTED), and would be doing so if it wasn't for the three factors I mentioned above.
Old 05-28-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
GTFO if you think people are walking out of Solo feeling as good as they felt leaving Black Panther.
Well, I did. And so did the people who were with me.
Old 05-29-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Don't worry. When Solo comes out on Digital, UHD and BD around September, everywhere here will be buying it and looking for deals on it. Star Wars OCD won't let it get ignored. It will make money on home video.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.