Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-27-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Rogue One also had a more engaging trailer and stronger buzz.
Old 05-27-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I imagine if Infinity War and Deadpool 2 weren't in theaters or their releases more read apart, we'd be seeing a much different number.

Got to talk to Ray Park briefly yesterday and this morning (at our Comic Convention here in Houston) and he was pretty excited about reprising his role. After his Q&A panel, he came down and took a picture with the crowd and stuck around shaking hands and chit chatting. Got to shake his hand and he masked me directly if I had see Solo and what I thought. Really cool guy. He even remembered us this morning when we got his autograph.

He was evasive, though, when I asked if we'd be seeing more of him in any of the upcoming "story" films!
Old 05-27-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
This guy had the best cameo (more than once!)

I’m holding off on my thoughts on the movie until I can see it again. Honestly, I kept nodding off and I think I missed parts (or can’t remember them). For now I’ll blame it on a full day of work followed by umpiring a double header, and then my son wanting to go to a late showing at a theater with recliners.

Where was the idol? I saw the Crystal Skull ...

I do find it amusing that people still think that recasting an 80-year old Harrison Ford to play a 20-something Han Solo is the reason for the box office drop.
Old 05-27-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

No time! You tell me where the Crystal Skull was, I will tell you where the idol was.
Old 05-27-18, 03:54 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Anthony Ingruber would've delivered China. just sayin
Old 05-27-18, 04:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I am starting to notice with many of the critic reviews that the ones who love TLJ, are not big fans of Solo the movie. While the ones who hated TLJ like Solo the movie.
I haven't noticed that at all. It's more like people who didn't like TLJ aren't going to bother with this one. I enjoyed them both.
Old 05-27-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
First - that wasn't Ray Parks, was it?
Ray Park reprised his role for that cameo.

He's 43 now and was 24 when he did The Phantom Menace.
Old 05-27-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I liked it. Better than RO and TLJ but not as good a TFA. I was worried about the acting going in and that was probably one of the better parts. Han and Lando were great. They had enormous shoes to fill and were fine. Story could have been a little better but again I was ok with it.

Decent.
Old 05-27-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The front edge of the same table.

I didn't see them, but others have claimed to see the sankara stones and ark too.
Old 05-27-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
No time! You tell me where the Crystal Skull was, I will tell you where the idol was.

So is this the wrong time for me to ask ...

... since the majority of folks here are actually liking this, can we finally talk about recasting additional adventures of Indiana Jones (ala, James Bond)?
Old 05-27-18, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho
The front edge of the same table.

I didn't see them, but others have claimed to see the sankara stones and ark too.
Yeah, well, I saw the face of Obi-Wan burnt into a piece of toast one time.

Old 05-27-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I really liked it.

I thought the guy that played Han was decent and Glover was really good as Lando. He was no Billy Dee but I wasn't expecting him to be. I did like them playing up his pronunciation of Han. Clarke I think also was good and she had an easier time not having shoes to fill.

I wasn't expecting the cameo at all and I can see how it would turn people off. As a fan of the cartoon I appreciated it.

**** stars for me.
Old 05-27-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I voted 2.5 stars. It was OK, but for the most part pretty boring. It was super predictable and just seemed flat. The tone that Kennedy so wanted was just wrong for this movie. It might have been more successful with the lighter more improvisational tone the original directors were going for.

I will say this. If Disney really wants to have long term success with these movies then they need to fire Kennedy and Johnson tomorrow.

The disappointing BO of both movies clearly show that they are just on the wrong path with these films. They have an entire universe with rich stories and they milk the characters of SW dry. I will tell you that a Fett movie will flop really hard, and a second SOLO movie will flop poorly as well.

They need someone with a new vision and that vision cannot be Johnson's. They really really need to reevaluate the entire thing or the entire franchise will fade into irrelevance.

7,8 and 9 should have had a tight vision and clear story going in and should have all been filmed at the same time.

I did not dislike Solo, but it was a completely disposable unexciting movie from start to finish. The whole franchise is just going in the wrong direction and the viewer reactions and BO are showing that.
Old 05-27-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
show that they are just on the wrong path with these films. They have an entire universe with rich stories and they milk the characters of SW dry. I will tell you that a Fett movie will flop really hard, and a second SOLO movie will flop poorly as well.
It might mean nothing more than people were worried about a clearly troubled production. It might mean something else, but it's a big leap to say it's all due to Star Wars fatigue. This always felt like a second-tier project to me. And TLJ did spectacularly at the Box Office.
Old 05-28-18, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Saw this at a late Sunday showing and there was a good sized crowd. I thought it was an absolute blast and people are missing out if they’re doing any kind of silly boycott. The Maul cameo was cool but did anyone else catch the reference to Teras Kasi?
Old 05-28-18, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

So Clone Wars/Rebels is canon now? I can see that being really confusing for those who haven't watched the cartoons. And if those are canon the last episode of Rebels did some really wacky stuff that I kinda hope stays out of the movies. Also opens up Ahsoka and Ezra coming in I guess.

I also thought that we'd finally have a Star Wars movie without a light saber, but...
Old 05-28-18, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
And TLJ did spectacularly at the Box Office.
Only in a vacuum. Anticipation for Episode 8 was as high as Episode 7. Ina lot of ways it bombed spectacularly.
Old 05-28-18, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Sorry guy but the 8th highest grossing film of all-time isn't a bomb by any calculable way.
Old 05-28-18, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I dug this. Actually I thought this is probably the best of the 4 Disney flicks. It was a lot of fun. Alden didn't drop the ball. He did good enough. It's funny how a throw away line from the OT became a cornerstone plot point for a 2 hour movie. I hope the sequel happens.
Old 05-28-18, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Sorry guy but the 8th highest grossing film of all-time isn't a bomb by any calculable way.
I would agree with you that TLJ wasn't a bomb in the context of its box office, but the divisiveness of the movie probably made Solo a sacrificial lamb for a lot of fans. This was one of the big arguments in the winter and the Critics/Lucasfilm dismissed it as trolls infiltrating Rotten Tomatoes to drive the score down, along with a small niche of whiners on the internet. When you have a movie in a franchise lose more then 1/2 it's audience, then it isn't some downward trend or a bad release date or even movie fatigue, something happened that cause the roof to collapse. If Solo came in this weekend down 15-20%, then I would attribute that to little factors that many have mentioned.

And if you adjust for inflation, it is #43 highest grossing film.
Old 05-28-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Saw this at a late Sunday showing and there was a good sized crowd. I thought it was an absolute blast and people are missing out if they’re doing any kind of silly boycott. The Maul cameo was cool but did anyone else catch the reference to Teras Kasi?
I saw that, a PlayStation 1 SW game, really bad one too.
Old 05-28-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Ray Park reprised his role for that cameo.

He's 43 now and was 24 when he did The Phantom Menace.
...and Sam Witwer did Mauls voice just like in the series.
Old 05-28-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Caught this on Saturday. Liked it overall and found it an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. Not great, but fun.

In terms of its lackluster sales, I think Disney should have stayed the course as its other SW releases and put this out at Christmas, it just had that kind of feel about it. Too many other big blockbusters in the summer. Then again, I guess Disney wants Mary Poppins as the big holiday offering this year, so that's their call.
Old 05-28-18, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
So Clone Wars/Rebels is canon now? I can see that being really confusing for those who haven't watched the cartoons. And if those are canon the last episode of Rebels did some really wacky stuff that I kinda hope stays out of the movies. Also opens up Ahsoka and Ezra coming in I guess.

I also thought that we'd finally have a Star Wars movie without a light saber, but...
Yes, when Disney took over and wiped out the old canon, they immediately declared The Clone Wars to be part of the new canon along with the (then) upcoming Rebels.

I don't think Rebels did anything too wacky. If you're talking about stuff like the Force Wolves, there's a lot of implied spiritual and metaphysical stuff about the whole Jedi/Force thing that the movies don't touch on but should exist in the background.

And I agree about Christmas releases, times are changing, summer is so crowded now it makes more sense to get the holiday crowd.
Old 05-28-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't buy the Star Wars "Fatigue" excuse.

I think this guy nailed it but some folks might dismiss it considering the source.

Go Woke,Go Broke

Last edited by Manco; 05-28-18 at 02:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.