Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I couldn't name any of the new characters. Although, I'm the same way with Rogue One which I disliked.
Old 12-28-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I can definitely name all the main Rogue One characters. Easily. It’s probably my favorite of the Disney Star Wars films though.
Old 12-28-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 744 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Thing with this movie, while entertaining and not at all bad, it is entirely forgettable, and leaves no lasting impression, good or bad. If you've only seen it once, I challenge you to come up with a character's name (besides those you already know from previous movies). I sure as shit can't - there's Daenerys, the Paul Bettany character, Woody Harrison... I'm honestly drawing a blank.
The Honest Trailer for this one is right on. Love the shot of Paul Bettany with the tagline "Name this character. You can't, can you?"
Old 12-28-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I thought Disney streaming service was starting up soon, as I'm surprised this is dropping on Netflix? I know they were trying to buy back the cable TV rights to Episodes 1-7 from TBS, but TBS wasn't interested.
I was surprised when I saw it listed too. Ant-Man and the Wasp along with The Incredibles 2 drop towards the end of January.
Old 12-28-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Were those deals with TBS in place before Disney bought Lucasfilm? Kind of weird to me that they wouldn’t have opted to show the films on one of the channels they own.
Old 12-28-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Were those deals with TBS in place before Disney bought Lucasfilm? Kind of weird to me that they wouldn’t have opted to show the films on one of the channels they own.
Yeah. They have the rights until 2024 for both TV and streaming. AT&T basically told Disney to pound sand when they tried to buy back the rights.
Old 12-28-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Disney already owned Lucasfilm when they licensed 5 of the first 6 films, and the next 3 films to TBS/TNT (the original Star Wars was licensed by Fox separately). The deal was made in September 2016:
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/tnt-tbs-tv-star-wars

At the time, Starz got the new ones first on cable for a while before TBS/TNT, and Netflix had streaming rights.

As to why they were licensed to TBS/TNT instead of say, ABC Family, ostensibly divisions of a corporation are supposed to act somewhat independently, and get the best deals they can get, whether that's with a different division of the same corporation, or with an outside competitor of that different division. It's how Netflix got some Marvel shows originally, instead of them all being on ABC or Hulu.

Now, in practice, these "independent" divisions seem to favor other divisions of the parent company more often than not, but TBS/TNT must've been offering one hell of a deal that looked really good to Lucasfilm at the time, and Disney hadn't yet hatched the plan to launch their own streaming service, where having these films exclusively would be a big advantage.
Old 12-28-18, 06:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I missed not having a new Star Wars to see around Christmastime
Old 12-28-18, 06:21 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That’s it. Even though SW sort of owned May, I really got used to seeing these films in December. I had a real hankerin’ this month to see a Star Wars movie. I wasn’t really in the mood last summer.
Old 12-28-18, 07:20 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

That's exactly how I feel. They truly should just keep it at Christmas every year.
Old 12-28-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep totally agreed. Star Wars works as a holiday movie. It’s a good kind of movie to cap off the year, and even though it had only been the last few years it already felt traditional to take my dad or other friends and family members to go see it around Christmas.
Old 12-28-18, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Agreed. My father and I have been doing a Star Wars flick on Boxing Day here in The Great White North every year since Force Awakens. Felt weird this year. Glad it comes back next year, though.
Old 12-28-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

They should have dropped it this December, especially with no MCU films between July and March. Should haven given Solo the December Mary Poppins spot, and dumped her off to May; MP was always going to underperform.
Old 12-28-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They should have dropped it this December, especially with no MCU films between July and March. Should haven given Solo the December Mary Poppins spot, and dumped her off to May; MP was always going to underperform.
I don't know about Mary Poppins, seems like a musical over Christmas is the best place for that kind of movie. Anywhere else and I don't think it does nearly as well as it's doing now, which isn't too shabby at all.
Old 12-28-18, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Thing with this movie, while entertaining and not at all bad, it is entirely forgettable, and leaves no lasting impression, good or bad. If you've only seen it once, I challenge you to come up with a character's name (besides those you already know from previous movies). I sure as shit can't - there's Daenerys, the Paul Bettany character, Woody Harrison... I'm honestly drawing a blank.
This is so true. It is entirely forgettable. Which is good in one way at least it's not controversial or hated in any way. But on the other hand a Star Wars film should be anything BUT forgettable.
Old 12-28-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't know about Mary Poppins, seems like a musical over Christmas is the best place for that kind of movie. Anywhere else and I don't think it does nearly as well as it's doing now, which isn't too shabby at all.
I'm kinda thinking the opposite now. I thought it was dumb for them to release it in the summer but this November/December has really been packed with releases. Even if you just consider Disney releases. Between Wreck it Ralph 2, the Nutcracker, the Grinch, Harry Potter, Bumblebee, Mary Poppins and Aquaman there has been no shortage of family friendly entertainment. And while I agree I like Star Wars during the holiday time (same with Harry Potter, just feels like a Christmas movie) I am starting to see why they didn't. But they thought it would have been a total smash hit. If they knew it would be the mediocre hit it was they might have made room.
Old 12-28-18, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thing is though there’s always going to be competition. Seems like there’s big movies releasing all times of the year. I just think it was especially dumb to release it so shortly after the last Star Wars film and around the same time as a mega blockbuster (Infinity War). Mary Poppins could have gone wherever in my opinion. That would have left Aquaman and Bumblebee as the main competition, which I think it might have done better against.
Old 12-28-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yep totally agreed. Star Wars works as a holiday movie. It’s a good kind of movie to cap off the year, and even though it had only been the last few years it already felt traditional to take my dad or other friends and family members to go see it around Christmas.
They should have dropped it this December,
Nah, I prefer them as Summer movies, like they were originally - "May the 4th be with you" and that shit.
Old 12-29-18, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem now though is that May has belonged to Marvel releases for the last ten years, so there’s always at least one big film to compete with. On top of that May is the kickoff to the summer blockbusters. That time of year just overall seems busier for films, and especially big blockbusters. I just think they had a good thing going releasing the films during the holidays personally. There’s competition there too, but generally not as many of the big blockbusters (more family oriented films aside from this year). I don’t really care if the others released in May or not. That and just the spacing between didn’t help I don’t feel. Some were already feeling like Disney was over-saturating us with Star Wars once a year, and I think twice within five months give or take was a mistake.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-29-18 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

If nothing else, I doubt they will try to release more than one Star Wars film a year going forward, which would have been a terrible idea. They seemed to be gearing up to release two a year at one point and I know there was investor pressure to do so.
Old 12-29-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
This is so true. It is entirely forgettable. Which is good in one way at least it's not controversial or hated in any way. But on the other hand a Star Wars film should be anything BUT forgettable.
See, I sort of like that it is not trying to be big and bold (And I say this as a person who was only hyped for the Saga films in 2012 when all of these movies were announced). I think the Saga films try to be big and bold so they can stand next to the OT films (they usually recycle the same plots and themes), and that usually leads to their downfall for many fans (they keep trying to compare them to the OT story because they have an episode # next to them).

Rogue One and Solo are their own entity and can be seen in that context when watching it. I don't think either of them are great films that shattered the moviegoing world, but that doesn't still mean they can't be fun and entertaining to base of SW fans (I totally understand they are not for everyone). I think the internet has created this extreme opinion of movies that it can only be the 'best' movie or 'worst' movie of all-time, as there is nothing wrong with a good/very good movie. I equate them as guilty pleasure SW films that are still solid, well done films.

Last edited by coli; 12-29-18 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

like they were originally - "May the 4th be with you" and that shit.
The phrase was made popular years after the movies. It was never part of release marketing.
Old 12-29-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
The phrase was made popular years after the movies. It was never part of release marketing.
No shit! You missed my point entirely.
My point was that these have historically been summer moveis, and I don't see why people suddenly want them to be Christmas-time movies now.
Old 12-29-18, 04:39 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

No shit! You missed my point entirely.
My point was that these have historically been summer moveis, and I don't see why people suddenly want them to be Christmas-time movies now.
By "suddenly," do you mean in the last four years since they've been at coming out at Christmas-time? That's not very sudden, plus many of us already said why we like the movies at Christmas-time.
Old 12-29-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

FYI, this movie will be available on Netflix January 9th if any of you who didn't purchase it want to give it another watch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.