Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 10-06-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I finally got around to watching this. I liked it (not loved it) but I think it will grow on me after additional viewings.

I think the root problem is it tries to hard too have iconic moments that it never really delivers. All the things they hit on, his name, his blaster, and those dice, those fucking dice, make this movie feel like it's an adaptation of a comic book or anime where they're trying too hard to pay homage to moments from the original source material.

The supporting characters were fine, if predictable. The smartassed droid was done better in Rogue One (although I loved the droid revolt on Kessel) and Darth Maul was totally unnecessary. Even though I knew he showed up in this, I half-expected Vision's boss to be Snoke.

I don't think this movie warranted the backlash it received in retaliation for TLJ, but I don't think it was anything approaching a proper template for the "story" movies going forward.
Old 10-07-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I've seen it once and have no desire to see it again. This is the first time I've ever said that about a Star Wars movie.
Old 10-07-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I've seen it once and have no desire to see it again. This is the first time I've ever said that about a Star Wars movie.
Me too. I actively dislike TLJ, but at least it wasn't boring. I'm sure I'll watch it again before episode IX. But I have zero desire to revisit Solo.
Old 10-07-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
You would have to pay me to watch the crapfest that is TLJ, but for me since ROTJ the only SW movie I had any interest in seeing again is TFA, and even that one is a movie that went down the wrong road with the franchise
Old 11-05-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Finally saw this. It was... alright. Can't put my finger on it, there was just something missing. And that shit with Darth Maul was really out of place, especially since we know there won't be any sort of followup to it. I'd rank it as my least favorite of the 4 recent "Disney" SW movies...

1.Last Jedi (by a wide margin)
2. Rogue One
3. Force Awakens
4. Solo
Old 11-06-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

My ratings:

1. Rogue One
2. Force Awakens
3. Solo
4. The Last Jedi

But I've enjoyed all four, flaws and all (some more flawed than others).
Old 11-06-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I’d go:
Rogue One
Solo
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi

I like The Force Awakens, but The Last Jedi has soured me on it a bit. I’ll have to see how I feel about the trilogy as a whole when Episode IX comes out as that could swing my feelings more towards the positive side if two of the three films are good.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-07-18 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-06-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’d go:
Rogue One
Solo
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi

I like The Force Awakens, but The Last Jedi has soured me on it a bit. I’ll have to see how I feel about the trilogy as a whole when Episode IX comes out as that could swing my feelings more towards the positive side of two of the three films are good.
Exactly my take on it as well, and recently posted as much in the TLJ thread.

I was very late to the game, but recently watched Solo on BD and enjoyed far more than the reviews of others told me I would. The actor playing Han wasn't perfect for the role, but the rest of the movie totally worked for me.
Old 11-07-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

I've got to say I'm baffled why this movie would put a damper on the Star Wars story movies and not TLJ.
I was very pleasantly surprised by this film even if it lacked suspense as we knew there was no chance of Han or Chewie dying during the movie. I quite enjoyed this compared to TLJ and I was actually reluctant to see this as someone born in the 70s and a fan of the original trilogy.

I really wonder what would have happened if they saved this movie for a later release instead of putting it out so close to TLJ causing fatigue with the franchise.
Old 11-07-18, 09:09 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought this movie was way better than Last Jedi
Old 11-07-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My Disney rankings:

1. Solo
2. Rogue One
3. TFA
4. TLJ

Looking forward to more standalones, but it probably aint happening now cause of Solo bombing.
Old 11-07-18, 05:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I think time will be kind to Solo.
Old 11-07-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Rogue One
TFA
Solo
TLJ - but need to watch some more times to let it sink in
Old 11-07-18, 05:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Rogue One >>>> TFA > Solo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Leonard Part 6 >>> TLJ
Old 11-08-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Never got around to seeing this in theaters. Saw it on a flight last week. Liked it more than I thought I would. I was afraid they'd ruin the established characters but they didn't.

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I too thought that L3 was a bit much ... She sounded like Phasma and that was a bit distracting.
I had to double check IMDB as I was sure it was the same actress
Old 11-09-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

TFA
Solo
Rogue One
TLJ
Old 11-09-18, 11:51 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm surprised Solo has fans here. It was the first time I was bored watching a Star Wars movie. Certainly no goosebumps that I usually get during the big moments in a Star Wars flick.

I'll give it another go at some point (especially if I get a good deal on Black Friday), but it definitely felt uninspired to me.
Old 11-09-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I'm surprised Solo has fans here. It was the first time I was bored watching a Star Wars movie. Certainly no goosebumps that I usually get during the big moments in a Star Wars flick.

I'll give it another go at some point (especially if I get a good deal on Black Friday), but it definitely felt uninspired to me.
I had pretty much the same feeling as you, and I saw it twice in the theater.

It reminds me of everything I hated about the EU. It's filled with "Remember This?" moments and filling in of gaps that needed no explanation. The Honest Trailer for this one was right on the money.

Rogue One is kinda the same, except I still really enjoyed the last half hour or so. Everything before that I have no use for.
Old 11-09-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I saw this once in the theater and rented the BD when it originally came out.

I think that's it for me. I don't see myself needing or wanting to re-watch/own this movie. I love the Star Wars universe, but this movie has no more replay value for me.

I saw Best Buy has it for $23 bucks on Black Friday, so doesn't look like there are any deals for it anyways unless it pops up somewhere else.
Old 11-09-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
This is an interesting comment and I could totally see how fans would not connect with Solo on an emotional level compared to the Saga movies. It begs the question: How important is John Williams to these movies in terms of goosebump moments? How important is nostalgia in terms of goosebump moments?

I like Solo more then the PT movies, yet I would say that the PT has a more epic feel and more goosebump moments. The more I really thought about it, ALOT of that goes to John Williams. I really like Rogue One (just like Solo), but there are very few goosebump moments in the movie, except for Darth Vader appears at the end and ignites that Lightsaber (fan service nostalgia).

I guess my point is does John Williams and Nostalgia make the post-OT movies probably better then they really are? Solo and Rogue One don't have the help of John Williams, and with new characters can't rely on nostalgia moments to tug at our emotions. There are little things like Falcon in Solo and Vader in Rogue One, but The Phantom Menace has eerie lines like "Obiwan meet Anakin Skywalker....." and Han saying in TFA, "Chewy, were home!"
Old 11-09-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I like the film more with each viewing and I really liked it to begin with. Really sad that we won't be getting an sequels.
Old 11-09-18, 06:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

maybe they combine it and do a "Solo/Fett" team up movie. That's be pretty sweet.
Old 11-09-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing is there actually are directions they could go with sequels that could be interesting. Could show more of Jabba and how Han gets involved smuggling for him. There could also be more history established with him and Boba Fett, which would add to the fact that they seemed to know each other in the Original Trilogy, but we don’t exactly know what backstory is there. Maybe we’ll get something on the Disney+ service as far as a sequel film or series.
Old 11-10-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, I feel like there's a lot of potential for a good Star Wars "Underworld" type movie with Han, Lando, Fett, Jabba, Qi'ra, and Darth Maul involved, but unlikely we'll ever get it.
Old 11-10-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Disney’s mistake with their approach to some of the proposed anthology films is expecting every character to be successful enough on their own to warrant a film.

Characters like Boba Fett and Jabba while interesting don’t need full dedicated films. Since they both have backstory with Han though it makes sense to wrap them into a film together.

It sucks that Solo didn’t do better to warrant sequels. I really do think there’s a lot of potential for good stories to be told focused on his character. If they hadn’t have gone so far over budget by reshooting a lot of the film due to directorial changes and had released the film in a different time of year it probably would have done better, or at least made some money where it wouldn’t have been considered a flop.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.