Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm interested to know the timeline of this given the cameo of
Spoiler:
Maul
10-14 years prior to Episode IV, according to this: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ameo-explained
Old 05-25-18, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

For those who only know
Spoiler:
Maul
and his situation from The Phantom Menace. he has a rich and heartbreaking arc through the canon comics, Clone Wars, and Rebels. Although I haven't seen Solo yet, I am thrilled that he makes an appearance.
Old 05-25-18, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought it was a fun movie and I would definitely be down for another Han/Lando adventure.

just in case:

Spoiler:
The idea of the imperial recruiter giving him the name "solo" was dumb though...especially since Han talks to Lando about his dad. If you remember that much about your dad, you know your last name.

I wish we had seen a bit more of Kessel and the spice mines, that heist went really fast.
Old 05-25-18, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Maybe I’m misrembering but I got the impression Han didn’t want to give his last name.

Found this pretty enjoyable. All the actors were great. L3 was a bit much - kind of like they were trying to one-up K2SO. I mean L and 3 are both one more than K and 2!

Would have given this 4 stars but dropped it a half because of Maul. I was already aware of how he was brought back in the cartoon. Hated it then too. I love the character, but he was killed off in a very final way in TPM IMO. Maul coming back is very much a jump the shark moment for me. Maybe it’s appropriate that happened in a movie directed by Richie Cunningham.
Old 05-25-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I too thought that L3 was a bit much - too much social justice, and women's rights... bla bla bla right off the bat - you never had a chance to bond with the character - she was just complaining from the start. She sounded like Phasma and that was a bit distracting.

However - I did like that she wanted to free the droids, something that R2 or 3PO would never do or think about, and I like that her 'strong' personality and 'soul' is living within the Falcon - kind of gives the ship a willingness to survive or a cosmic conscience.

Loved how Han met Chewie - I always thought he just freed him when he was in the imperial army, but this was much better - and he already spoke a little bit of Wookie, and just didn't pick it up over time with Chewie following him around like a puppy to serve out a life debt.

I was so excited to see Maul - but need to understand how he survived (maybe someone can enlighten me).

So I guess Han was about 20 in these films - so he would be about 35 in episode IV. And I guess Ben must be about 55 - 60 around this time - and in hiding already. Luke must be about 2 or 3 years old, and I assume the Jedi have been wiped out by this time.
Old 05-25-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Maybe I’m misrembering but I got the impression Han didn’t want to give his last name.
I like that better...i'll go with that.
Old 05-25-18, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Maybe I’m misrembering but I got the impression Han didn’t want to give his last name..
I think so too... it was very Ellis Island like - where it depended on the official, sometimes they would change your last name into the region you were from, or into something that was easier for them to spell.
Old 05-25-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, did anyone notice that one of the aliens on Enfys Nest's crew was the same one who brought Bhodi Rook to Saw Gererra in Rogue One? I wonder if its supposed to the same character or just the same species.
Old 05-25-18, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I read somewhere it was supposed to be the same character.

Warwick Davis's character was apparently the same character he played in The Phantom Menace as well. Not that it much matters.
Old 05-25-18, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.

I was so excited to see Maul - but need to understand how he survived (maybe someone can enlighten me).
See the link I posted a few posts before yours, it's in there. He was also played by Ray Park and voiced by the same actor that voices him in the cartoon series
Old 05-25-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
For those who only know
Spoiler:
Maul
and his situation from The Phantom Menace. he has a rich and heartbreaking arc through the canon comics, Clone Wars, and Rebels. Although I haven't seen Solo yet, I am thrilled that he makes an appearance.
My theater lost their shit when he appeared. Damn!!! That was great.

It was also nice to see that it was
Spoiler:
Ray Park and Sam Witwer (voice)
in the role.
Old 05-25-18, 09:36 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It was good. The whole thing closely resembles a James Bond flick.

Likeable characters, a bit of fan service.

I can’t help but wonder what this was originally going to be like. Evidently more humorous, but was it wall to wall laughs? It’s hard to imagine it that way.
Old 05-25-18, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
See the link I posted a few posts before yours, it's in there. He was also played by Ray Park and voiced by the same actor that voices him in the cartoon series
Thanks - good read - now it makes sense that he is not a Darth, but ties into the whole crime world.
Old 05-25-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought Kessel had spice, not coaxium.

But coaxium makes more sense here. Guess they'll save the spice smuggling in the next one with Jabba.
Old 05-25-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

This is kind of shocking but it looks like Solo is going to really underperform at the Box Office this weekend (I remember a few weeks ago they were predicting a 170 million dollar opening weekend). These are early projections, but it makes sense as my friend saw it last night to a 1/2 empty theater (he said it was 100% full for TFA, R1 and TLJ). Not sure what to make of the soft box office: Backlash to TLJ? Fans just didn't want Solo Prequel? 4 SW films in 4 years, SW fatigue?

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-s...ce-1202397848/
Old 05-25-18, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
My theater lost their shit when he appeared. Damn!!! That was great.

It was also nice to see that it was
Spoiler:
Ray Park and Sam Witwer (voice)
in the role.
I am hoping his appearance means he will somehow be incorporated into the planned Kenobi films.
Old 05-25-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
This is kind of shocking but it looks like Solo is going to really underperform at the Box Office this weekend (I remember a few weeks ago they were predicting a 170 million dollar opening weekend). These are early projections, but it makes sense as my friend saw it last night to a 1/2 empty theater (he said it was 100% full for TFA, R1 and TLJ). Not sure what to make of the soft box office: Backlash to TLJ? Fans just didn't want Solo Prequel? 4 SW films in 4 years, SW fatigue?

It was dumb to put it out right now with all the competition in my opinion. Avengers and Deadpool are still both going strong. Not sure why Disney didn’t move it later in the year.
Old 05-25-18, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Thanks - good read - now it makes sense that he is not a Darth, but ties into the whole crime world.
Yep, goes back to Clone Wars series.
Old 05-25-18, 02:24 PM

Doesn't surprise me. There was almost no buzz for this film. I walked up and bought tickets to 1 9PM showing last night and had no problem buying tickets 30 minutes before showtime. Lots of empty seats. The previous films you had to book weeks in advance to get into a show on Thursday night. Even Avengers and Deadpool in the last month were much harder to get into than this.
Old 05-25-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Oh, did anyone notice that one of the aliens on Enfys Nest's crew was the same one who brought Bhodi Rook to Saw Gererra in Rogue One? I wonder if its supposed to the same character or just the same species.

Two Tubes!

Old 05-25-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Blockbuster fatigue and packed theaters (People still seeings Avengers and Deadpoopl 2)
Old 05-25-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

While I enjoyed the film, I'm not totally upset about it underperforming because I really didn't want to see two Star Wars films a year and I think this will put any thoughts of that on hold--if the reports are indeed accurate. Also, Christmas felt like their sweet spot and I think it was a mistake to go back to a May release for this one.

That said, the theater I saw it at, while not large, was sold out and they had showings every half hour for most of the evening.
Old 05-25-18, 02:49 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

One big negative review I can give is that any all dark scenes are muddy and unfocused. You can’t see any detail. The movie had its good moments, but the photography was shit.
Old 05-25-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
While I enjoyed the film, I'm not totally upset about it underperforming because I really didn't want to see two Star Wars films a year and I think this will put any thoughts of that on hold--if the reports are indeed accurate. Also, Christmas felt like their sweet spot and I think it was a mistake to go back to a May release for this one.

That said, the theater I saw it at, while not large, was sold out and they had showings every half hour for most of the evening.
If they’re fun movies, why not have two movies per year (or at least one)? We went almost two decades without jack... making up for lost time, IMO.
Old 05-25-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don’t know, I feel like part of the reason this may be underperforming is that it’s too much too fast. Disney should have stuck with the once a year around the holidays model with Star Wars. It seems for some reason people are getting fatigued of it faster than they have with superheroes. Also like I mentioned before I think bad timing is coming into play with Avengers and Deadpool being hot. Add to that a film that people were mixed on caring about seeing anyways and I think it might be a lesson to learn to not just churn these out left and right because you can.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.