Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Groucho
I have seen complaints from the anti-SJW crowd online about the interracial romance, but that's about it.
This movie has an interracial romance, a "female" droid who wants equality and several main characters who are women.

Watching the movie, I knew that the internet and a few of the usual suspects here would have problems with any (or all) of that. And I was not disappointed!
Old 05-29-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I'll start watching the movies again when they get back to AGFFA being nothing but white males like it was in the OT....How dare they have a black guy fly the Falcon, that never would have happened in the OT.
Old 05-29-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
But seriously, what is the agenda that's being pushed that people don't like? Or should that be in another thread? I honestly don't get it. I get a lot of the other complaints, just not the SJW stuff.

I find whatever "controversy" regarding this film exists is all rather ridiculous.

The droid seems to be more of a parody of today's SJW. There's no evidence of Lando's pansexuality in the movie, and if there was, it certainly would fit his character. The romance angle between the droid and Lando to me was a made-up fantasy by the droid, and Lando simply had a close connection with his robot friend.
Old 05-29-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I find whatever "controversy" regarding this film exists is all rather ridiculous.

The droid seems to be more of a parody of today's SJW. There's no evidence of Lando's pansexuality in the movie, and if there was, it certainly would fit his character. The romance angle between the droid and Lando to me was a made-up fantasy by the droid, and Lando simply had a close connection with his robot friend.
Which is why I said it wasn't at all distracting since it was (mostly) played for laughs.
Old 05-29-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Anytime I see someone use the term SJW, I immediately dismiss their argument.
Goody for you. I guess that makes it OK for me to condescendingly dismiss anyone's opinion that differs from mine, as well.
Old 05-29-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Goody for you. I guess that makes it OK for me to condescendingly dismiss anyone's opinion that differs from mine, as well.
When said opinion is not rooted anywhere in reality yes you can.
Old 05-29-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Anytime I see someone use the term SJW, I immediately dismiss their argument.
I think SJW is just one of those terms that have grown out of the culture of calling each other extreme, but it's so common now I use it cause people will know what I mean. I think my main problem with Hollywood is the rise of the 'grey' character like Walter White and Tony Soprano, to the extinction of the Clint Eastwood, John Wayner, Arnold Schwazenegger Type A Bad Ass Good guy.

Now I love Walter White and Tony Soprano and I don't need every character to be the ultimate good guy like Rambo or John McLain from Diehard. But there is a happy medium and it has swung too far where every character is the conflicted anti-hero. And that is essentially the new take on Luke is he went from this ultimate good guy that fans grew up with, to this sort of Walter White guy. Yes, Luke was not cut and dry, but I still don't like that he deserted Han and Leia leading up to the events of TLJ (now you can blame JJ Abrams on that too).

That is really my biggest problem with movies today and the new SW movies is they just aren't speaking to me on that level because people like Rian Johnson and Kathy Kennedy don't see male characters like that. So it's not about race, or girl power, etc, sometimes we just want a bad ass good guy who is a true good guy. I hope that makes sense as I don't want my post to come off like I'm a 1950's Men go to work and women should stay in the kitchen.
Old 05-29-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think SJW is just one of those terms that have grown out of the culture of calling each other extreme, but it's so common now I use it cause people will know what I mean. I think my main problem with Hollywood is the rise of the 'grey' character like Walter White and Tony Soprano, to the extinction of the Clint Eastwood, John Wayner, Arnold Schwazenegger Type A Bad Ass Good guy.

Now I love Walter White and Tony Soprano and I don't need every character to be the ultimate good guy like Rambo or John McLain from Diehard. But there is a happy medium and it has swung too far where every character is the conflicted anti-hero. And that is essentially the new take on Luke is he went from this ultimate good guy that fans grew up with, to this sort of Walter White guy.

That is really my biggest problem with movies today and the new SW movies is they just aren't speaking to me on that level because people like Rian Johnson and Kathy Kennedy don't see male characters like that. So it's not about race, or girl power, etc, sometimes we just want a bad ass good guy who is a true good guy. I hope that makes sense as I don't want my post to come off like I'm a 1950's Men go to work and women should stay in the kitchen.
Vader, Darth circa 1983?
Old 05-29-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

You sure about Clint Eastwood playing the type-A good guy, McNabb? I would argue that he played a series of characters that basically invented the anti-hero: The Man with No Name, Josey Wales, even Dirty Harry to an extent.
Old 05-29-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Now I love Walter White and Tony Soprano and I don't need every character to be the ultimate good guy like Rambo or John McLain from Diehard. But there is a happy medium and it has swung too far where every character is the conflicted anti-hero. And that is essentially the new take on Luke is he went from this ultimate good guy that fans grew up with, to this sort of Walter White guy. Yes, Luke was not cut and dry, but I still don't like that he deserted Han and Leia leading up to the events of TLJ (now you can blame JJ Abrams on that too).

I apologize for summarizing your point like this, but basically you're saying if Rey were male (since she's pretty much an ultimate good guy and the Luke character from the new trilogy) you would've liked it better?
Old 05-29-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I apologize for summarizing your point like this, but basically you're saying if Rey were male (since she's pretty much an ultimate good guy and the Luke character from the new trilogy) you would've liked it better?
Actually, I like Rey (she is probably my favorite character of the ST) as I was glad they casted a female because it put a different spin on the Saga. I think where they screwed up with her was not making her a Skywalker and then it would have been an interesting contrast of Anakin/Luke/Rey for 3 Saga and their different personalities dealing with the Galaxy and the darkside. The more I think about it, I actually like her character because she is the ultimate good guy.

My problem is with Luke and how they changed his character drastically, as it just never sat well with me. I actually liked Poe in TFA, and then they changed his character from being the 'golden boy' by Leia who she loved in TFA to the 'crazy Top Gun Maverick' character who needed to be scolded by Leia and Holdo all through TLJ.

Originally Posted by JeremyM
You sure about Clint Eastwood playing the type-A good guy, McNabb? I would argue that he played a series of characters that basically invented the anti-hero: The Man with No Name, Josey Wales, even Dirty Harry to an extent.
That's a good point about the Westerns with Clint Eastwood. I was more a Dirty Harry fan as he still always wanted to do the right thing and was still ultimate good guy, just took un-PC measures to do it because of the powers that be.
Old 05-29-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My problem is with Luke and how they changed his character drastically, as it just never sat well with me. I actually liked Poe in TFA, and then they changed his character from being the 'golden boy' by Leia who she loved in TFA to the 'crazy Top Gun Maverick' character who needed to be scolded by Leia and Holdo all through TLJ.
They really did screw up Poe. Guess that's when happens when there is no plan for a character other than he dies first act but then he really doesn't die.
Old 05-29-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, I like Rey (she is probably my favorite character of the ST) as I was glad they casted a female because it put a different spin on the Saga. I think where they screwed up with her was not making her a Skywalker and then it would have been an interesting contrast of Anakin/Luke/Rey for 3 Saga and their different personalities dealing with the Galaxy and the darkside.

Ah, ok. I can see that, and I agree about Poe, that character arc was... strange to say the least. Like he's supposed to be this big leader by the end of the film but I just see him now as a big screw up. I guess I understood where Luke was coming from, it made sense to me that he felt so ashamed about almost killing his nephew, turning him almost completely to the Dark Side, and driving a wedge between his two best friends that he felt he was better off away from everyone. And like I've said before, it fits in with his Jedi mentors to leave the galaxy to fend for itself. I had a bigger problem with Han abandoning Leia, personally.

As for this movie, I know he's still a young up and coming scoundrel but I felt they made Han almost too heroic and not roguish enough, so almost the exact opposite of your complaint. I mean the dude did this Kessel run basically in his first time flying the Falcon and one of the first times he piloted an actual ship, plus he's out there shooting his blaster with his invincible plot armor. He never wavers in believing in Qi-ra or in getting back to her, he never really wavers when presented with a choice between money and what's right, etc. He's arrogant about his skills but his skills are up to task; he's as good a pilot and a card player as he says he is. Obviously he's going to get hardened along the way and her betrayal plays a part in that.
Old 05-29-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, the more I think about it. I think the reason I liked TFA more then TLJ is that the movie did have 'good guys' like Rey, Finn and Poe, and everything soured with TLJ when Rian Johnson sort of changed some of them, including Luke.
Old 05-29-18, 01:18 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I’d like to point out that the other Wookie that Chewbacca befriended looked like Chaka.
Old 05-29-18, 01:21 PM
Banned

Actually, the more I think about it. I think the reason I liked TFA more then TLJ is that the movie did have 'good guys' like Rey, Finn and Poe, and everything soured with TLJ when Rian Johnson sort of changed some of them, including Luke.
There’s no question in my mind that one of the best things about the force awakens is that they had characters that showed genuine warmth and affection and camaraderie toward oone another, something that the prequel trilogy completely lacked. It’s not something that audiences necessarily even consciously noticed, but it has a subtle effect on an audience.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-29-18 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-29-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
This movie has an interracial romance,
If this is what people are referring to, then the term SJW really has no meaning. Not only is interracial romance obviously prevalent in current society, but it has been an element of science fiction ranging from the 60s Star Trek series to Firefly. There's nothing "forcefully progressive" about it.

a "female" droid who wants equality
But she wants equality for droids, not for females. I actually thought that character and plot device veered toward social parody rather than social commentary, so I don't understand what would be pushing an "SJW agenda" there.

and several main characters who are women.
See point #1 about interracial romance. If having female main characters in movies is forcing some progressive agenda that is supposedly not actually represented in society, then some people need to take a closer look at society.

Anyway, I realize I'm preaching to the choir with all of that.
Old 05-29-18, 01:24 PM
Banned

There was an interracial romance? Between who?

Han and Chewie are an interspecies bromance
Old 05-29-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

and are you actually going to see this movie and offer a more credible opinion about it rather than continued speculations, theories and hypothesis for something you've never seen? I haven't seen even 1 post by you in this thread saying you actually saw this movie and you're in a "Reviews thread" I appreciate your thoughts, but they would have a little more weight if you actually saw Solo.
Old 05-29-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Han and Chewie are an interspecies bromance
Woody Harrelson's character. and Chewbacca.
Old 05-29-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Val and Beckett.
Old 05-29-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Woody Harrelson's character.
Shit, I didn't even think about that.
Old 05-29-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
and are you actually going to see this movie and offer a more credible opinion about it rather than continued speculations, theories and hypothesis for something you've never seen? I haven't seen even 1 post by you in this thread saying you actually saw this movie and you're in a "Reviews thread" I appreciate your thoughts, but they would have a little more weight if you actually saw Solo.
I'm going Friday night. The reason I am in this thread is because I don't care about spoilers as there is nothing in this movie that will shock me (I saw the cameo on Facebook as someone spoiled it about 2 weeks ago). I honestly wanted to know fans reactions in here because I was skeptical about it, but it seems like fans liked it, but don't love it so that works for me. I'll back off until I see it then give my thoughts.
Old 05-29-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Shit, I didn't even think about that.
Me neither, but I guess the fact that alarms aren't going off in our heads over interracial relationships is a good thing.
Old 05-29-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Did I hear Beckett ask for Brandy? Couldn't he at least ask for Romulan Ale or the Star Wars equivalent?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.