Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Because Baby Driver was a better Han Solo origin story?
Old 03-01-21, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Because Baby Driver was a better Han Solo origin story?
They could have fleshed out the Han Solo origin story over 10, 20, 30 episodes instead of 2 hours where they had to check all the main points (finding Chewy, finding the Falcon, Kessel Run). Star Wars on the big screen has to feel big in terms of story, characters, etc, and Solo isn't that type of story. I actually think it would have made a pretty good TV show as the Saga stories are made for the big screen.
Old 03-01-21, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Nobody asked for it. It's just product to be churned out. It's no different than the 16th Darth Vader coffee mug you got for Christmas last year. In that sense it's perfectly Star Wars, but up until Disney got involved, the movies at the very least felt special.
Old 03-01-21, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

I have not rewatched it lately but felt it was a good movie when I saw it originally and on rewatching at home. I was not as good as Rogue One and not as bad as the abomination that proceeded it at the box office. To me aside for a few heavy-handed nods to "character development or origin stories," it was good and I would not mind seeing a sequel. Looking forward to seeing more of Lando in the series and hope that Han makes an appearance.
Old 03-01-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I have not rewatched it lately but felt it was a good movie when I saw it originally and on rewatching at home. I was not as good as Rogue One and not as bad as the abomination that proceeded it at the box office. To me aside for a few heavy-handed nods to "character development or origin stories," it was good and I would not mind seeing a sequel. Looking forward to seeing more of Lando in the series and hope that Han makes an appearance.
Yeah, I enjoy Solo and I've watched it a couple times. But of the new Disney 5, the ones I've watched the most are TFA (because it was the first new SW in 10 years, I watched the Blu several times) and then Rogue One I've watched probably over a dozen times because I fall more madly and deeply in love with it each time. I mention that because the film with an almost entirely new cast of characters is more emotionally resonant than one with three main characters from the OT. They really should have pushed it to Christmas, both to work the story over some more plus distance it from the reception to TLJ.
Old 03-01-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
They could have fleshed out the Han Solo origin story over 10, 20, 30 episodes instead of 2 hours where they had to check all the main points (finding Chewy, finding the Falcon, Kessel Run). Star Wars on the big screen has to feel big in terms of story, characters, etc, and Solo isn't that type of story. I actually think it would have made a pretty good TV show as the Saga stories are made for the big screen.
I could agree with this. This film had the bones to flesh out SW world-building, but Ron Howard was too busy going through his Disney-designed Wikipedia-inspired grocery list.

Imagine if we got another season of Arrested Development ... and it focused on the construction of the banana stand and how bananas are imported and frozen before being dipped in chocolate.
Old 03-01-21, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I could agree with this. This film had the bones to flesh out SW world-building, but Ron Howard was too busy going through his Disney-designed Wikipedia-inspired grocery list.
To be fair to Ron Howard, he came onto the project after the die had been cast. Disney wanted annual Star Wars films, and Solo was already in production. It was until after Solo flopped that Disney realized they couldn't make Lucasfilm the next Marvel Studios just by churning out tons of films, so they then started looking at other avenues for Star Wars, like live-action TV shows.

What's frustrating to me about Solo is that there are clearly hints of the far more irreverent film Chris Lord and Phil Miller were attempting to make. Picture a Solo movie with the tone and characterizations of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. The crazy conflation of formative events and coincidences narrated by a Solo recounting the tale, unreliable narrator style. But Disney and Lucasfilm freaked, and they got dropped. By itself this isn't too unusual; Marvel itself dropped Edgar Wright from Ant-man. But normally, there's years of pre-production to try and mesh the visions of the director(s) and the studio; with Disney pushing Lucasfilm to make movies, and make them fast, Solo got greenlit before Lucasfilm/Disney fully understood what sort of film they had just signed on for. So they scrapped it and hired on a far more conventional director to make something far more conventional. But that's a lot harder to do after footage has already been shot than to do from day one.