Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Rob V
I assume to show how gritty and bland the underworld / war is. I loved the scene in TFA where they went to Ach To and the world was nothing but bright blue and green... a nice change of pace.
I'm all for gritty and bland but it sucks when you can't see anything. That, or it was just a horrid transfer.
Old 01-14-19, 08:47 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The HDR on the 4K disc makes it slightly more dark too.
Old 01-14-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

Finished watching this last night and it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. There are some moments when he has the spirit of Ford's Han. Did we need a Han origin story? Not really.
Old 01-14-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The HDR on the 4K disc makes it slightly more dark too.
That's unfortunate(?).
I thought the BD looked very good in that regard.
Maybe I don't want the UHD disc after all....
Old 01-14-19, 12:29 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I actually liked it more in the theater than when I rewatched it at home. Instantly forgettable, and the "oh shit, cool Darth Maul!" feeling in the theater turned into a "wow, that's stupid" at home.
Old 01-14-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I enjoyed it. Didn't leave me emotionally exhausted like my favorites do.

Due to my manic consumption of Arrested Development, Ron Howard has gotten inside my head and anything he does is more easily enjoyed.

Appreciated the relatively low-key "western" plot.

I'll always wonder what the Lord/Miller version would have been like. All snarky and improvised. There were a few moments (especially with Donald Glover) that felt like they retained that style.
Old 01-16-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 391 Likes on 280 Posts

rewatched this on netflix and I still enjoyed it far more than TLJ. It was sort of odd how quickly we got the backstory with his name, iconic gun, chewie etc each coming in at a steady clip. It felt a little long but I can see myself watching it again at some point. Really wish L3 or whatever was less prominent but at least they tied the droid into the backstory nicely as well.

One thing I found odd was how often C3P0 was blasted to bits and rebuilt but this thing gets scraped and integrated into the falcons navi system despite Landos "love for her".... overall I would still give it a B or so....
Old 01-16-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
One thing I found odd was how often C3P0 was blasted to bits and rebuilt but this thing gets scraped and integrated into the falcons navi system despite Landos "love for her"....
Integrating L3-37 in the Falcon was a desperate last-ditch move to help them navigate the storm clouds. Once integrated, there was no way to separate her. It was basically a life-or-death decision for the fate of the crew.
Old 01-16-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I actually thought the integration was clever as it led to a specific comment in ESB... one I'd glossed over dozens of times when watching the movie.
Old 01-16-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I actually thought the integration was clever as it led to a specific comment in ESB... one I'd glossed over dozens of times when watching the movie.
You mean C3PO's line to Han when he's interacting with the Falcon's computer?

"Sir, I don't know where your ship learned to communicate, but it has the most peculiar dialect."
Old 01-16-19, 02:44 PM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
My brother/nephew finally watched Solo on Netflix last night and he called me, "I'm shocked, it was really good/fun! I'm sort of bummed I missed it in the theater."
No Chinatown remarks? Y'all are letting me down.

But on topic, I still haven't seen it. I disliked TLJ enough that it kinda soured me on any new SW, though I did enjoy TFA and Rogue One. I imagine I'll eventually get to it.
Old 01-16-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.

"Sir, I don't know where your ship learned to communicate, but it has the most peculiar dialect."
I remember all the Star Wars pages on social media posting a screengrab of that scene from TESB with that line after Solo was released and not explaining why. It was a lot of fun to see that kind of connection.

Originally Posted by FM
No Chinatown remarks? Y'all are letting me down.

But on topic, I still haven't seen it. I disliked TLJ enough that it kinda soured me on any new SW, though I did enjoy TFA and Rogue One. I imagine I'll eventually get to it.
Do it, it's far different from TLJ.
Old 01-17-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Yep... such a throw-away line in 1980 and to have it come full circle with a semi-relevant character (in Solo anyway) was pretty neat.
Old 01-17-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Convenient that this resurrected, I just finished it and came to post about it. I had heard that it was a flop and while it may not ruin Ehrenreich's career I get the feeling it's probably not going to launch him into the big leagues.

Well, I loved it! Heard so many bad things about it and it was on Netflix and I was curious. I thought it was fantastic and that he captured Solo's spirit. Loved every second. Surprised at how good it was given what I had heard.
Old 01-17-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Lots of bitter people on the heels of TLJ but I totally agree with you. I don't think the movie coming out in May did it any favors either.
Old 01-18-19, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

AND at the beginning I was all like there's something about that voice and had to pause it and look it up. Mother of Dragons!!!

I'm sad to see Ehrenreich has nothing after Solo. I first started following him in Beautiful Creatures.
Old 01-18-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FM

Trust me, I didn't want to see Solo for the same reason last summer. My best friend (who is also a big SW fan) kept pestering me to see it as he heard good things through his co-workers, and finally I relented and we saw it over 4th of July. I was suprised how much I liked it as it was the first 'fun' SW film since 1983. It's not a classic film like the OT, but it's a good/fun film and captures the spirit of the Original Trilogy. I think the Saga films take themselves way too seriously and that is when they get into trouble, as SW movies were always about being fun first, and then you have your mythology and drama. The PT tried to show this Shakespearan Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker, and it failed for me, IMO. TLJ tried to tell a story about failure and how we learn from it using Luke as the main example, and that failed for me too. SW works best for me when it's simple, fun, yet there is more to the movies if you are willing to delve into them. I wouldn't say Solo is for everyone, but I think you should atleast give it a chance (especially that it's on Netflix, so it's not like you're going out and buying the BluRay).
Old 02-04-19, 09:44 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched it last night. I enjoyed it well enough and didn't find it quite as much like watching a Wikipedia article as I was concerned it would be (but still, props to whoever came up with that line).

I found myself hoping Han and Qi'ra would make it work, despite everything we already know. Stupid emotions

I thought Donald Glover was terrific and didn't have too much trouble buying Ehrenreich as Han. I thought the inclusion of Darth Maul was silly, but I haven't kept up with the cartoons, comics, and so on.

The movie was completely unnecessary and pretty forgettable, but an enjoyable finish to the weekend
Old 11-09-20, 08:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

what a solid, fun fucking movie. i had a blast from start to finish. saw nothing wrong and loved all the homages and backstory to ANH. everything just clicked in this one for me. didn't expect to hear Williams music and loved the times they played it. it was just thoroughly enjoyable. a solid SW movie a solid sci-fi action flick. i'm really sorry i didn't watch this sooner, but after seeing the first 2 eps of this season of The Mandalorian, just felt like more of this universe and now i won't stop. i have Rogue One (3D) in for tomorrow and then the OT. can't wait. this was the perfect kick off. loved it so much.

Old 11-09-20, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Yeah, it really is a decently solid movie. It’s obvious it needed a little more polish in the script stage, but it’s a fun heist with great characters.

So have you seen Rogue One already? Because that’s even better in my opinion.
Old 11-09-20, 09:27 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

We just watched Solo a few days ago, I thought it was pretty good too, my wife didn't think it was much of a Star Wars movie but she says she was entertained, I thought it was a good sci-fi adventure movie.
Old 11-10-20, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I was bored throughout and forgot about it as soon as I left the theater. Actually I saw it twice in the theater, and still don't remember the name of the villain. The Honest Trailer for this one was right on.
Old 11-10-20, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Maybe I should revisit it since it's on Disney+. I don't think I finished watching it.
Old 11-10-20, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I was bored throughout and forgot about it as soon as I left the theater. Actually I saw it twice in the theater, and still don't remember the name of the villain. The Honest Trailer for this one was right on.
The movie is mostly adequate. Not great, not terrible but it IS largely forgettable. I really only remember that Emilia Clarke was smoking hot in this and the way Han got his last name is probably the stupidest thing I’ve seen in any Star Wars movie.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-10-20)
Old 11-10-20, 10:37 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
So have you seen Rogue One already? Because that’s even better in my opinion.
yeah, i saw RO in theaters. wasn't overly impressed, but i know a second time might change my opinion. or not, we'll have to see...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.