Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.21%
9.47%
29.47%
29.47%
14.74%
5.26%
5.26%
0%
1.05%
0%
1.05%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-29-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I think the move to December was significant on 2 fronts for a SW movie. It sort of wiped the PT era away (which Disney was trying to do in their marketing for the new movies), as December was a new beginning and a change of course.

I also think the December release gave a gravity to the movies, essentially saying those 'popcorn blockbusters for teenagers' are for the Summer. The blockbusters who appeal to everyone like Star Wars, Avatar, etc, all come out at the end of the year.

I thought it was a bad idea at first because I grew up with the OT and the summer WAS Star Wars, but I ended up loving that release time. My friends and I started to equate the holidays with Christmas and Star Wars every year. It became a part of our ritual was getting together a week before Christmas and see the new SW movie, and then enjoy the holidays. But releasing Solo in May, it sort of gave the message that they are looking at it as the 'popcorn blockbuster' geared to that typical summer audience.
Old 12-29-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I also think the December release gave a gravity to the movies, essentially saying those 'popcorn blockbusters for teenagers' are for the Summer. The blockbusters who appeal to everyone like Star Wars, Avatar, etc, all come out at the end of the year.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't put any more weight to a Winter movie over Summer, let alone believing the Star Wars franchise is somehow any more appealing to a wider audience then say, a summer Superhero movie.
Old 12-29-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Star Wars better at Christmas, personally. It feels better there, for some reason. Like a Christmas present or something. I dunno. I have to shit
Old 12-29-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't put any more weight to a Winter movie over Summer, let alone believing the Star Wars franchise is somehow any more appealing to a wider audience then say, a summer Superhero movie.
I think the idea that Winter blockbusters are more "adult" may go back to the Summer/Winter split that there used to be between types of films. There used to be the idea that Blockbusters were for the summer, while the winter, especially in December, were for prestige dramas and family films.

Part of this may have originated by chance, what with the first major blockbusters, Jaws and Star Wars, premiering in the summer. However, execs may have noticed a major driver of the BO for those films: kids going to see them repeatedly, which is easier for them to do in the summer months while they're out of school. So studios kept scheduling their blockbusters for summer, with an eye on the biggest possible BO.

Meanwhile, the scheduling of prestige and family films in winter was also due to circumstances. For family movies, there's the two holidays Thanksgiving and Christmas, roughly a month apart, when families get together for an extended weekend. So a film that everyone in the family can agree to go watch is a good option. If it's a holiday themed movie, even better. How ever, these films weren't expected to do as well as summer movies, and budgeted accordingly. Probably the biggest success of this model was Home Alone, a reasonably budgeted family film that unexpectedly did blockbuster business.

For prestige picture, it's all about timing for awards eligibility and keeping the movie fresh in voters' minds. So often you'd have films get small, limited release right before the end of the year, so they'd be eligible for that year, and then their releases would expand wider in January, when most people would see them, and they'd still be fresh in people's minds when awards nominations were made and then announced.

So the split was clean: big-budget blockbusters in the summer, smaller family and prestige films in the winter.

The first film to really break this mold was Titanic, and that was by accident; it was originally scheduled for a summer release, but delays meant it got rescheduled to December. It actually managed to do really impressive BO and do well in awards, maybe giving rise to the idea of the "adult" blockbuster.

However, Avatar's release date was also the result of a delay, as were the first 3 Disney Star Wars films, all initially scheduled for May before being pushed back to December. Those movies did well in December, but the fact that Disney/Lucasfilm kept trying to schedule Star Wars for May speaks a bit about how they think the movies might fair even better there. Even upcoming Episode IX was scheduled for May 2019 before firing Colin Trevorrow led to delays.

So the perception of winter being the home of the "sophisticated" blockbuster is due somewhat to old scheduling habits and due to certain blockbusters ending up there due to delays.

The idea of a separate summer "blockbuster season" seems to be eroding away. It used to be blockbusters came out May-July, but studios are releasing them earlier and earlier. April now isn't uncommon, even sometimes in March. Hell, Black Panther came out in February. A big thing is that more and more relies on the first weekend. You don't need to worry about repeat views on weekdays, just get the theater packed the first weekend, and maybe second. That can fit almost everyone's schedule, any time of the year.
Old 12-29-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I think the idea that Winter blockbusters are more "adult" may go back to the Summer/Winter split that there used to be between types of films. There used to be the idea that Blockbusters were for the summer, while the winter, especially in December, were for prestige dramas and family films.

[...]

So the perception of winter being the home of the "sophisticated" blockbuster is due somewhat to old scheduling habits and due to certain blockbusters ending up there due to delays.
We find ourselves at a point in history where everything is a blockbuster. We’re franchised out the wazoo with Marvel movies, DC movies, Star Wars, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbbean, Jurassic, Godzilla/Kong, Harry Potter, Pixar, Star Trek, Fast & Furious, that the old summer/winter paradigm doesn’t really apply anymore.

The cinema experience is being taken over by event films that are fighting over audiences and premium IMAX real estate, so these things have to be spread out over the year, and they can’t just aim for Memorial Day weekend and Christmas anymore. Now, going to a movie is almost an event like going to a concert or sporting event — where you have reserved seats, and end up spending $25+ per head on the ticket and refreshments.

Instead of twenty screen multiplexes, the near future may require multiplexes with four or five IMAX screens and four or five smaller screens.
Old 12-29-18, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I like Star Wars better at Christmas, personally. It feels better there, for some reason. Like a Christmas present or something. I dunno. I have to shit
Apparently, there's a thread for that.
Old 12-30-18, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story View Post
By "suddenly," do you mean in the last four years since they've been at coming out at Christmas-time? That's not very sudden, plus many of us already said why we like the movies at Christmas-time.
Yes, 4 years out of the last FORTY is suddenly.
And no, no one gave "reasons" why. For me, these have historically been associated with summer. And since the Christmas time ones are during a more busy/hectic time of the year, I don't like having to squeeze them in as much as during the summer, when things are a lot more laxed.
Old 12-30-18, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its not like the amount of time really adds that much weight to that particular time of year for a Star Wars release. They haven’t released a film every year for the last forty years. I think either time of year can work, but I feel like a Christmas time release overall has worked out well.
Old 12-30-18, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
They haven’t released a film every year for the last forty years.
Exactly. 4 out of 40 is 10%, that's still not "suddenly" to me, especially if its 4 out of 10 movies (soon to be 5 out of 11). That's 40% of releases during December, also not very "suddenly," to me.
Old 01-01-19, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally watched this last night and I enjoyed it. The first SW movie that I skipped seeing it in the theatres with the exception of the Original Trilogy.

I enjoyed it but that Honest Trailer is so dead on about this movie. We didn't need to know every single detail and explanation about Han. However, the movie became more enjoyable to me once Han and Chewie were together.
Old 01-01-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably the biggest eye roll moment to me is how he gets his last name. That felt forced and unnecessary. I didn’t think most of the rest of the added backstory was too bad. Not necessary but not awful.
Old 01-01-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also miss the Christmas time releases. I found myself wishing they would put Rogue One back in the theaters for a limited run. I've grown to absolutely love it, it's my favorite of the new 4, and I'd put it with the OT in overall ranking.

The summer blockbuster schtick is played out, doing it over the holidays makes it feel like the holiday celebrations.
Old 01-01-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Probably the biggest eye roll moment to me is how he gets his last name. That felt forced and unnecessary. I didn’t think most of the rest of the added backstory was too bad. Not necessary but not awful.
Yeah, that stuff got a little annoying.

Of course they’re going to show how Han met Chewie and how Han got the Falcon from Lando, but some of the stuff was a bit over the top.

Like...

The aforementioned naming scene.
Beckett giving him his trademark blaster.
“A price on your head.”
Lando’s skiff guard disguise.
“A job on Tatooine.”
Old 01-09-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is live on Netflix finally. I'll be watching it for the first time. Let's see if it sucks or not.
Old 01-09-19, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished it and it was just ok. Nothing special and not as awful as I thought it was going to be. Nice bit there at the end with Darth Maul. The movie had a shitty color palette. It was so freaking dark, as if it was shot with filters or something. Even Rogue One had more "pop" in its palette.

Glad I waited until Netflix.
Old 01-10-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I also miss the Christmas time releases. I found myself wishing they would put Rogue One back in the theaters for a limited run. I've grown to absolutely love it, it's my favorite of the new 4, and I'd put it with the OT in overall ranking.

The summer blockbuster schtick is played out, doing it over the holidays makes it feel like the holiday celebrations.
Plus, Disney is "sitting" on completed 3D versions of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith (seen, to my knowledge, ONLY at Star Wars Celebration) - The prequel trilogy is 20 years old in 2019 - why not release those three films for a limited run? It's ALL profit, basically (aside from the $$$ spend on advertising). Of course, who knows, maybe they have plans to put those on the Disney app coming this year.
Old 01-10-19, 07:45 AM

Interested to see reactions to anyone who is catching Solo on Netflix for the first time in the next few weeks. My older brother (who never skipped a SW movie), still hasn't seen Solo and was just waiting for Netflix. It's amazing that so many SW fans still haven't seen the movie, as it really has a cult fanbase at this point of fans like me who really enjoy it.
Old 01-10-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the heck out of Solo for what it was... a nice back-story that could, if given another chance, give us a cool introduction to the seedy SW underworld we always hear about. More Maul would be great too.
Old 01-10-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

. My older brother (who never skipped a SW movie), still hasn't seen Solo and was just waiting for Netflix. It's amazing that so many SW fans still haven't seen the movie.
Not too surprising IMO.
Disney has poisoned the SW Universe with the drek they have served up since the buyout.
Old 01-10-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still surprises me the largely positive reaction to bringing Maul back. That's really my biggest complaint with this movie, other than L3, I don't know what's worse, knowing the lame backstory to Maul surviving in the Clone Wars series or knowing nothing and trying to understand how someone who was sliced in half and fell down a pit survived.
Old 01-11-19, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
Not too surprising IMO.
Disney has poisoned the SW Universe with the drek they have served up since the buyout.
My brother/nephew finally watched Solo on Netflix last night and he called me, "I'm shocked, it was really good/fun! I'm sort of bummed I missed it in the theater."
Old 01-11-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My brother/nephew finally watched Solo on Netflix last night and he called me, "I'm shocked, it was really good/fun! I'm sort of bummed I missed it in the theater."
I've mentioned it before, but Solo is the first Disney SW that actually felt like a SW movie.
Old 01-11-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Just finished it and it was just ok. Nothing special and not as awful as I thought it was going to be. Nice bit there at the end with Darth Maul. The movie had a shitty color palette. It was so freaking dark, as if it was shot with filters or something. Even Rogue One had more "pop" in its palette.

Glad I waited until Netflix.
Yeah, the color palette was annoying in a movie I otherwise enjoyed. Not really sure why it was filmed that way.
Old 01-14-19, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume to show how gritty and bland the underworld / war is. I loved the scene in TFA where they went to Ach To and the world was nothing but bright blue and green... a nice change of pace.
Old 01-14-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just don’t think the film literally needed to look dark to the point of being hard to see in some parts. It came across as a weird stylistic approach in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.