Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-18, 10:44 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

The peasants in Hidden Fortress are played for laughs.

And the whole point of the film is that by going on the adventure the sheltered princess, who’d never left her palace (and by extension us), gets to see the real world for the first time. From the lowest of low to the highest of generals. It’s about becoming “woke” to use a modern term.

It happens to Amidala in Phantom Menace too. She’d never met a slave or gone to a place like Tatoine.
Old 06-09-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

And the whole point of the film is that by going on the adventure the sheltered princess, who’d never left her palace (and by extension us), gets to see the real world for the first time. From the lowest of low to the highest of generals. It’s about becoming “woke” to use a modern term.

It happens to Amidala in Phantom Menace too. She’d never met a slave or gone to a place like Tatoine.
Yes, I've seen those movies, but what does that have to do with L3?

Wouldn't it have been a bit odd and jarringly ineffective if Kurosawa had made the two peasants intellectual revolutionary activists who were constantly hectoring and lecturing the princess and the general on the injustice of the pre-Meiji Japanese feudal system, and they were still played for laughs?

Solo: A Star Wars story ain't The Hidden Fortress.
Old 06-09-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

But she IS a droid owner... and then droids come and take over her home world (under the control of an evil, seemingly Asian trade federation). I guess we should just be grateful Lucas didn't shoehorn that into the politics of the prequels.
Old 06-09-18, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

It’s OK. She has a droid friend.
Old 06-09-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Finally saw this tonight. I overall liked it. Alden Ehrenreich was better than I expected as Han. Yeah obviously he’s not Harrison Ford but I never expected his performance to be exactly the same because there’s just no replacing an icon like Ford. I liked Donald Glover as Lando too though he was in less of the film than I expected. Really all the cast was good in my opinion. No one really stood out as unlikable to me.

I felt like the story worked as an origin to Han’s character. Sure it’s debatable if it’s needed or not and some things are telegraphed really on point but I liked how things like meeting Chewie and him getting the Falcon were handled. The only thing I was a bit iffy on was how he gets the Solo part of his name. Seemed a bit forced but it didn’t bother me all that much.

The action was good throughout as well. The biggest thing that somewhat detracted from my enjoyment was the way the film looks throughout a good chunk of the run time. I think it was too murky and could have been lit better or something.

Hopefully we get a sequel as I’m interested in how Maul and Jabba play out.
Old 06-10-18, 05:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Just saw it with my kids... they loved it. I really liked it too. The Moviefone was wrong, so I ended up paying for the 3D for the showing which was kind of a waste.

Ehrenreich is no Ford but by the end he really grew on me and I found myself hoping for a sequel.

The move looked great but a tad too dark... although maybe that was because of the 3D showing.

Lots of awesome mindless sci-fi action.

Glover was phenomenal.

I really liked Tobias Beckett although his arc was predictable from jumpstreet.

Lando's sassy robot was annoying, but I thought it an ingenious way of making something out of Threepios throwaway line about the Falcon's curious dialect. Not that it needed to be explained.

I did get chills when Chewie slid into the copilots seat next to Han. I was not expecting that.
Old 06-10-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m hopeful for a sequel too. I really liked the movie more than I expected to and would like to see more of this take on Han and Chewbacca and company. Whether it’s popular opinion with fans on if it’s necessary or not I found myself entertained and can see the potential for some cool stories prior to the Original Trilogy. I’d very much like to see Han’s first encounter with Jabba and possibly Boba Fett and others. Really hoping Disney doesn’t kill any potential sequels due to the disappointing box office.
Old 06-10-18, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

It’ll get sequels. Disney knows the movie was better than the box office indicated.
Old 06-11-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ No, it won't. The movie is going to lose money for Disney and the SW universe is limitless. They'll make a dozen other stories before coming back to one that is a perceived loser.
Old 06-11-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

While it’s BO is not keeping up with previous installments, it is losing money only because they basically paid for two productions. The price tag ballooned well beyond what was planned.

I don’t know if we will see direct sequels, but I would guess (as others have) Ehrenreich’s three-picture deal means Han’s pre-story will continue in the Boba after movie and likely a Lando movie.
Old 06-11-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I’d be less interested in a Lando movie truthfully. I thought Donald Glover was really good but I’m not sure how interesting Lando as a lead would be. I feel like he works as a complimentary character but I’m not sure how interesting a whole film of him would be.

Also I have to say I actually was surprised to find that I thought Alden made Han his own a bit more compared to Donald who in my opinion was doing his best at a Billy Dee Williams Lando interpretation. Alden’s performance surprised me a bit more after all the stories about how he supposedly needed a bunch of coaching on set. I found his interpretation of Han pretty good if you separate him from Ford.
Old 06-11-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'd watch a Lando movie, but I certainly wouldn't be clamoring for it. If we're doing "young" movies, give me Luke or Vader -- those are the movies that make my saber rise.
Old 06-11-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I'd guess it's safe to assume we'll see a Maul/Qi'ra movie at some point soon? I can't imagine they'd bring him back only to not expand on it.
Old 06-11-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'd watch a Lando movie, but I certainly wouldn't be clamoring for it. If we're doing "young" movies, give me Luke or Vader -- those are the movies that make my saber rise.
Young Luke would seem pretty boring, unless we're doing post RotJ or something. Vader, we've already had three movies focusing on a young version of him, but there's still a lot to explore there and I'm sure that would make some bank.

Originally Posted by Noonan
I'd guess it's safe to assume we'll see a Maul/Qi'ra movie at some point soon? I can't imagine they'd bring him back only to not expand on it.
The main problem with a Maul focused movie is that we already know what happens to him in Rebels, so to me you have to have his story revolve around other characters. If they don't want to do a follow up to Solo/Lando, I can't see these two characters carrying a movie.
Old 06-11-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
The main problem with a Maul focused movie is that we already know what happens to him in Rebels, so to me you have to have his story revolve around other characters. If they don't want to do a follow up to Solo/Lando, I can't see these two characters carrying a movie.
And the problem there is many fans didn't watch Rebels and were fully surprised to see him in Solo. lol

So you're either gonna anger those fans who want/expect more or the fans of Rebels who already know what happens.
Old 06-11-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
^ No, it won't. The movie is going to lose money for Disney and the SW universe is limitless. They'll make a dozen other stories before coming back to one that is a perceived loser.
They aren't going to leave that Maul/Qi'ra stuff hanging. They just won't.

Solo 2 will happen and relatively soon.
Old 06-11-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
And the problem there is many fans didn't watch Rebels and were fully surprised to see him in Solo. lol

So you're either gonna anger those fans who want/expect more or the fans of Rebels who already know what happens.
And this is why Marvel films and Marvel TV are only connected in the loosest sense, and why that is better. Marvel TV shows might reference the films, because pretty much everyone watching a Marvel TV show has seen those. The films have never (and will never) reference TV in the same way, because the audience that watches the films is so much larger, and to expect them to have to follow several TV series in order to keep up with what is happening in the films is asinine, and you lose large portions of your audience that way.
Old 06-11-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
And this is why Marvel films and Marvel TV are only connected in the loosest sense, and why that is better. Marvel TV shows might reference the films, because pretty much everyone watching a Marvel TV show has seen those. The films have never (and will never) reference TV in the same way, because the audience that watches the films is so much larger, and to expect them to have to follow several TV series in order to keep up with what is happening in the films is asinine, and you lose large portions of your audience that way.
Personally, I think that's more due to politics. There's nothing wrong in having a truly cross referenced universe. I don't expect the movies to be as impacted as AoS was by Civil War, but to just not talk about Coulson entirely seems really odd to me... the most comic book thing they can do is have stuff happen off panel and reference some other series or work.
Old 06-11-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Didn't we already get a young Vader movie? Three of them in fact...
Old 06-11-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Personally, I think that's more due to politics. There's nothing wrong in having a truly cross referenced universe. I don't expect the movies to be as impacted as AoS was by Civil War, but to just not talk about Coulson entirely seems really odd to me... the most comic book thing they can do is have stuff happen off panel and reference some other series or work.
Of course there's politics involved too, but let's say Coulson pops up in the movies again, not as a flashback like what we're getting in Captain Marvel, but in current times and with a robotic hand. People that don't watch Marvel TV are confused and you say, "Oh he came back, don't you watch Agents of SHIELD"? And then people are like, "That's stupid, fuck this."
Old 06-12-18, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Didn't we already get a young Vader movie? Three of them in fact...
I want him purging the Jedi... like the comics allude to.
Old 06-12-18, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Of course there's politics involved too, but let's say Coulson pops up in the movies again, not as a flashback like what we're getting in Captain Marvel, but in current times and with a robotic hand. People that don't watch Marvel TV are confused and you say, "Oh he came back, don't you watch Agents of SHIELD"? And then people are like, "That's stupid, fuck this."
i think audiences can cope. There are people who didn't see every single MCU movie (and even some who claimed they did) who were probably very confused by some aspects of Infinity War, and yet that did ok. Make a silly reference to Tahiti and move on.

Heck Thanos gets one of the stones basically off screen, when it took an entire movie (GotG) to establish a safeplace for the stone, and people didn't seem to care.
Old 06-12-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want him purging the Jedi... like the comics allude to.
Episode 3.5 would be cool but I'd guess they'll cover that time frame in the ObiWan movie.
Old 06-12-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
It’ll get sequels. Disney knows the movie was better than the box office indicated.
Except of course that is wasnt
Old 06-12-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
They aren't going to leave that Maul/Qi'ra stuff hanging. They just won't.

Solo 2 will happen and relatively soon.
Just dont see how that is possible.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.