DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Toho Godzilla Cinematic Universe (TBD) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644083-toho-godzilla-cinematic-universe-discussed.html)

islandclaws 05-20-18 04:06 PM

Toho Godzilla Cinematic Universe (TBD)

From Dark Horizons:

With the success of several recent “Godzilla” films by original production company Toho, talk has now begun regarding a linked Godzilla Cinematic Universe for the non-U.S. “Godzilla” films.

Talking to the Japanese outlet Nikkei Style, Toho exec Keiji Ota recently laid out plans for the franchise’s future and says (via a translated article) that after 2021, a potential strategy is to release “Godzilla” movies uninterrupted at a rate of at least every two years – potentially even annually:

“The future of the series and its forward development are very conscious of the method of ‘shared universe’. Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single world much like a Marvel movie where Iron Man and the Hulk can crossover with each other. It is said that each movie can be a possible film production where any one of them could lead a film of their own as the titular character.”

Sadly that shared universe will NOT include a sequel to Hideaki Anno’s “Shin Godzilla” which scored strong acclaim in 2016.

Taking these characters back to the Showa era roots is a great idea, especially since many have not had individual films in decades.

As for the lack of a "Shin Godzilla" sequel... I think Anno's film works best as a standalone and I have no problem with it remaining so. I'd rather continue to wonder what could have happened years after Godzilla unfroze than see it on screen.

Sonic 05-20-18 08:07 PM

Re: Toho Godzilla Cinematic Universe (TBD)

I wasn't too fond of Shin Godzilla.

But's it's great to hear of more Godzilla/monster projects up ahead. :thumbsup:

B5Erik 05-20-18 10:10 PM

A shared Godzilla Cinematic Universe?

Ummmm...

All the monsters they're talking about were in a shared cinematic universe in the 60's and 70's, more or less. Godzilla may have usually been the headline monster, but they were in the same universe (Mothra came into the Godzilla movies, as did Rodan).

If you're talking about including monsters like the Gargantuas, etc, then that would be different, but the monsters they mentioned were all in Godzilla movies anyway.

islandclaws 05-20-18 10:51 PM

I know, it's funny how Toho worded it since they kinda started the shared universe concept but, hey, whatever, I will abso-fucking-lutely take solo Ghidorah, Mothra, etc. films leading up to another battle royale.

Ash Ketchum 05-20-18 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13335740)
A shared Godzilla Cinematic Universe?

Ummmm...

All the monsters they're talking about were in a shared cinematic universe in the 60's and 70's, more or less. Godzilla may have usually been the headline monster, but they were in the same universe (Mothra came into the Godzilla movies, as did Rodan).

If you're talking about including monsters like the Gargantuas, etc, then that would be different, but the monsters they mentioned were all in Godzilla movies anyway.

Even Toho execs have short memories.

Why So Blu? 05-20-18 10:56 PM

So much for the second installment of Shin Godzilla. :(

2Hype 05-20-18 11:02 PM

The possibilities of future solo Toho movies other than Godzilla excites me. I would love to see a stand alone Mecha-Godzilla flick.

B5Erik 05-20-18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13335767)
So much for the second installment of Shin Godzilla. :(

Yeah, that's a bummer for sure. Shin Godzilla was fantastic - and there are a few loose threads left hanging, too.

PhantomStranger 05-21-18 12:53 AM

A Shin Godzilla sequel would have been fantastic. Having recently watched it for the first time, they even drop some references to future mutations of Godzilla and presumably bringing in characters like Mothra.

milo bloom 05-22-18 04:55 PM

I'm not sure that a sequel to Shin could re-capture what made it so unique. It was really hyper-focused on its concepts so another story, would have to shift to something else to hyper-focus on.

And, yeah, Toho was doing the shared universe thing ages ago. But good to see them go back to their roots.

DthRdrX 05-22-18 07:33 PM

The only sharing I want from Toho is sharing the rest of the rights with Criterion to release one mega set.

Mikezilla3k 03-04-22 06:35 PM

Toho recently started a casting call for extras for a new Kaiju film set between 1945 and 1947.

Might be a new Godzilla film?

Ash Ketchum 03-05-22 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mikezilla3k (Post 14069283)
Toho recently started a casting call for extras for a new Kaiju film set between 1945 and 1947.

Might be a new Godzilla film?

I can see it now: MacArthur vs. Godzilla!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...78b7b8503c.gif