Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Lando Calrissian Film - S: Donald Glover

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Re: Lando: A Star Wars Story

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I hope Disney isn't going to milk this Star Wars cow until people are completely sick of the Franchise. (If they haven't already) To be honest, I only care to see the main story continue. I'm sure there's folks who will enjoy these side stories, but except for Rogue One, I have no interest in them.

I'm just the opposite. I could watch films filling in corners of the original trilogy with side stories forever. After the last episode, I don't give a fuck what happens to Poe, Finn, Rose, or Mary Sue. The only thing I'm curious about is how they'll mangle Leia, especially since they already had a solution to work around Carrie Fisher's death but Mary Poppin'ed it away.
Old 05-17-18, 08:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so apparently Lando will fuck anything...
Old 05-18-18, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Just do Shadows of the Empire already.
Just... no.

I loved it when it came out but it’s because I bought into the hype like a sucker, and that’s all it was, it was literally a dry run of hype leading up to the Special Editions which were themselves a dry run of hype leading up to the prequel trilogy. It was nothing more than LucasFilm awakening the long-dormant merchandising behemoth without making an actual movie to exploit.

I’m not opposed to a story set between Empire and Jedi, this one is just plain bad. Prince Xizor is probably the least terrible thing about it and I could see them incorporating him into the new canon like Thrawn but he’s really not that great as a character. You have Tarkin and any other imperial officer if you want to play up the secular elements of the Empire and his aspirations of replacing Vader as the Emperor’s right hand man don’t really jibe with the post-prequels portrayal of Sith. Also, Xizor could never dethrone Jabba as the figurehead of the Star Wars underworld.

The worst part of Shadows? Dash Fucking Rendar. The name alone should be earning enough but what you get with the character in full is so much worse than the name. He’s an extreme 90s Rob Leifield version of Han Solo. Why he was even introduced is baffling because in Lando they already had a perfectly good Han surrogate. Oh, that’s right, they had to sell those Dash Rendar action figures and that Dash Rendar video game. You know, the one that established that he was a hero of the Battle of Hoth just so they could include the obligatory Battle of Hoth level? Worst of all, showing the characters dealing with the loss of Han, his uncertain future and the changed dynamic of the core crew might actually be interesting but no, there’s just a red-headed pouched-up Han Solo stand-in who pops in and keeps Han’s seat warm and is never heard from again later.

Strip Rendar and Xizor away and what’s left is just worthless fan service. Where did Luke get his new lightsaber? What happened with the Bothans? Why does Chewbacca have a new hair style? Where did Leia get the Boushh costume? They answer all those burning questions with all the excitement and intrigue of reading a shopping list or a to-do list because that’s exactly what it is: they reverse-engineered a shitty story out of a bunch of nonsense that wasn’t even deemed worthy of explaining in RotJ.

But yeah, just go ahead and do Shadows of the Empire already. I’m sure it would be great with a CGI Carrie Fisher and a digitally de-aged Mark Hamill and no Harrison Ford and Dash Rendar being Dash Rendar.
Old 07-22-20, 12:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Things we don't need. Not sure if this is legit or not.

Old 07-22-20, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
re: Lando Calrissian Star Wars Event Series (Disney+)

I'd be down for this... I'd love if the Han kid (Alden E?) could join him too.
Old 07-22-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'd be down for this... I'd love if the Han kid (Alden E?) could join him too.
Same here. I wish they could have done the Solo movies as a nice, neat trilogy. But now that The Mandalorian has shown they can do tv shows with near cinema quality, this is just as good.
Old 07-22-20, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts

I liked the movie and enjoyed Donald in that role. Would be just as happy to see him with Han in the show on occasion as well...
Old 07-22-20, 03:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That would actually be a much better concept - Han and Lando during their smuggling days. But also making this one way more comedic. Same high production value like Mandalorian.
Old 07-22-20, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I enjoyed Solo as well, mostly because of my low, low, low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. The train heist was awesome.

I'm down for this series.

Old 07-22-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

They really need to move away from the OT characters and expand the SW Universe. Star Wars could not be managed worse than it is. Yes I know the movies grossed billions of dollars but I could have written the scripts and it would have likely down about the same.
Old 07-22-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I liked Solo more than most. Interested in this, but I’m hoping that we’ll see Han and Chewbacca pop in occasionally.
Old 07-22-20, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Hopefully, it shows Lando during the early years of running Cloud City. It could be a Love Boat style show where there are new guests staying at Cloud City every week and they have some zany adventures. Lando could be the Captain Stubing and Lobot could be the Gopher character.
Old 07-22-20, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Have it during the time that Lando has the Millennium Falcon.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (07-25-20)
Old 07-22-20, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Can’t wait for this in 2023. I’m sure it’ll be the next Disney+ series to launch as the platform doesn’t seem to launch any exclusive shows.

Old 07-23-20, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I’m glad Disney execs took a step back to re-examine their approach to Star Wars just to resume by apparently greenlighting the same Garbage they were originally planning to.
Old 07-23-20, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m glad Disney execs took a step back to re-examine their approach to Star Wars just to resume by apparently greenlighting the same Garbage they were originally planning to.
Did you watch the Solo movie? Even the haters agree that Glover nailed the part of Lando.

Same as the JJ Trek films, even the people that didn't like them think that Karl Urban's McCoy was the showstealer.

The Mandalorian has shown that the TV people (Favreau, Filoni, et al) have a much better handle on storytelling than the movie teams.
Old 07-23-20, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The Mandalorian has shown that the TV people (Favreau, Filoni, et al) have a much better handle on storytelling than the movie teams.
I mean...what? Even reading through user reviews, The Mandalorian was good but not great. Amazing episode 1 and 2 and....eh for a while until the finale. "Baby Yoda" really over-shadows the series.
Old 07-23-20, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I think this would be great. We know a lot less about Lando's backstory than we did about Han Solo's (before the movie Solo I mean).

If Han could be a regular or just pop in once in a while it would be cool.
Old 07-23-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Things we don't need.
It seems others disagree.

I'm also down for this.
Old 07-23-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Did you watch the Solo movie? Even the haters agree that Glover nailed the part of Lando.
I saw Solo and I liked Glover’s performance in it. I also like Glover in general but watching his 30 whatever minutes of screen time, doing his best Billy D. impression doesn’t leave me terribly excited for Lando Adventures.

Although, I guess the good news is that Lando’s mythology hasn’t been explored to death on screen like other characters so there’s probably a lot more wiggle room for the stories than say, Obi-Wan.

I just wish that Disney would take a little more of a risk with their series’ than we’ve seen so far. More Clone War era crap and series’ starring characters we already know don’t seem to be using much creative energy. When we’re literally dealing with an entire GALAXY of potential stories, seeing the same stuff over and over gets annoying. There’s always room for series’ starring our old, reliable favorites AND new stories but for that to happen, there has to be, you know, new stories too.

All that being said, I guess I like this idea more than an Obi-Wan or Boba Fett series.
I wrote in one of the Mandalorian threads in TVtalk that on second viewing of the show where I was able to binge multiple episodes at once, I thought it played A LOT better than watching each episode on a weekly basis. With that said, I still think the storytelling, was one of the weaker aspects of the series. It’s a fun show, and one of the better things Disney has produced in recent years but the stories are pretty generic/recycled of stories we’ve seen a hundred times before.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 07-23-20 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I guess I read that differently ... as much as I would actually love a Glover/Lando series, I read that as a appearance not a show.
Old 07-23-20, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't get it as I'm in the minority on this one. I think 'The Mandalorian' is so overrated as there is no storytelling, IMO. It's as basic as basic can get for the plot and I think that's why so many fans loved it (I know that was one of the reasons the Red Letter Media guys liked it). I watched it in the spring so I went in with high expectations because so many people I know loved it (who also hated everything from Disney SW), so I kept waiting for something great to happen. Don't get me wrong, as it's not a bad show as I enjoyed the 8 episodes. But I think the storytelling is the weakest part of the TV show, IMO. But I'm in the minority as I'm sure I'll get blasted here.
Old 07-23-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

No legitimate source is reporting this story. So I would treat this as a rumor.
Old 07-23-20, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I’ll be watching this when it airs in 5 years.

As long as that guy form the Solo movie isn’t back as Han I’m okay with this.
Old 07-23-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Same as the JJ Trek films, even the people that didn't like them think that Karl Urban's McCoy was the showstealer.

Agreed.

They just need Chewie and Alden and off we go.

Screw the films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.