Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.15%
13.85%
47.69%
16.92%
10.77%
1.54%
3.08%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I saw it a few nights ago and loved every minute of it. Way the fuck more entertaining than Infinity War. I think I enjoyed it more than the first. Better humor, more varied action sequences (budget!), and the new character additions were great. Cable and Domino were fantastic. The whole X-Force thing was hysterical. Firefist was fine. Yukio and Deadpool's interactions were adorable and funny every time.

I think my favorite running gag had to be Cable being racist about Black Tom. Oh, and the opening bit about Deadpool not wanting a kid named Todd. I was seeing the movie with my buddy... Todd. Also, best opening credit? Directed by: "one of the guys who killed John Wick's dog."

About the only thing I didn't like was Vanessa getting the shaft, and I don't mean Deadpool's shaft. They've managed to create an excellent character and Baccarin is fabulous in the role but she got like ten minutes of screen time.

So if Deadpool 3 happens I assume TJ Miller will be kicked to the curb. I like him fine, but he didn't really add anything in this one. So will they make Dopinder take over his role at the bar?
Old 05-27-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm in the theater now, waiting to watch Mr. Pool. I've avoided 95% of the comments about the movie so I'll have no expectations either way.

Now, bring on Mr. Pool...
Old 05-27-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I hope you didn’t forget your ammo bag.
Old 05-27-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I don't get all the hate for Dennison ... he was a kid, he was supposed to be obnoxious.
In my opinion? Every scene he was in, he was dead weight. No pun intended.

I was rooting Cable to ice him. He was that bad.
Old 05-27-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Threa

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think if they did something like that in the first movie I would have been more impressed. The way it happened in the this movie felt... expected.
Agreed. The whole film suffers from the same syndrome that a lot of comedies fall into in that it feels like it repeats a lot of the same jokes of the first and just overall falls flat in some aspects. It’s a very strange movie to me. There are parts to it that I definitely find funny and some interesting characters as well as a good arc for Deadpool, but then a lot of that gets undermined by the end credits scene. The more I think of it that really bothers me because the movie basically just told me that I wasted my time watching it because nothing is sticking and nothing really matters. It almost went too meta for its own good. I get that’s the character but personally I think when your ending undercuts the rest of your film it’s a problem.
Old 05-27-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I hope you didn’t forget your ammo bag.
I forgot my glasses, but, fortunately, I can still easily hit the target without them.

And I could see the movie just fine. And an entertaining movie it is!

No, it's not quite as good as the first one. The plot is a little muddled. (Who, really, is the bad guy? and is the plot really just to save the kid?) It seems like there isn't a whole lot of story there - less than the first one. But people didn't go to the first one, or to this one, for a complex plot and character development. People go to see Deadpool to see carnage and mayhem, and hear wildly inappropriate (but extremely witty) comments and jokes from the Merc With A Mouth! And on those counts Deadpool 2 really delivers.

I re-watched the first Deadpool movie last night to get myself back in that mindset, and Deadpool 2 didn't disappoint. Some of the stuff in there was surprisingly good. And I absolutely loved Domino! On the other hand, there were a few points in the movie that just barely missed the mark or fell just a little flat (usually when the plot was getting lost). Still, overall, I'd rate this movie as a solid 4 with some moments that were absolute 6's on our 5 scale.

And is it good or bad that the best part of the movie was the mid credits sequence? I almost fell out of my seat laughing so damned hard!
Old 05-29-18, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Saw it today and thought it was hilarious. Not as good and original as the 1st one, but still a hell of a good time.

I did notice that Ryan Reynolds had a writing credit on this one. Probably one of the reasons he and Tim Miller had creative differences with Miller leaving. Reynolds had more input in this one.

The 5 bonus scenes were quite amusing. Although with Wade going back in time and undoing Vanessa's death. It basically made Wade and Vanessa's final encounter in the afterlife pointless.

I when he killed his Deadpool alter ego from X-Men: Origins Wolverine and also killed "Ryan Reynolds" for taking the Green Lantern script 7 years ago.

I did like Wade and Cable's interactions, especially when they decided to team up after he told the story of what future Firefist does.

Deadpool's "death" scene did kind of drag at the end, but that was very minor. I at the X-Force getting wiped out before it was undid by Wade going back in time.

I think this is one I may need to see again. I feel like I missed some of the nuggets/blink and you'll miss details.

BTW, I fucking hate the "Tag" trailer. It's played so many times already before movies I've seen. I don't know about that movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-29-18 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-29-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I get why Origins was soo bad with the Deadpool character...

But I didn't really have a problem with Green Lantern and don't understand the hate for it. Though I'm not very familiar with the character outside of a few toons back in the day. So can someone explain why it's bad and why everyone hated it?
Old 05-29-18, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts

I think I'm in the minority too in that I liked both DP and DP2 with a slight edge to DP2. I thought the jokes were funnier and absolutely loved that a lot of them were in universe. I think the first DP was trying too hard. Like they went overboard with the humor and a lot of it was just for shock value at the expense of it being really funny. There were so many little shout outs to unexpected things. Some of my favorites:
  • Did anyone else catch that when Russell comes up with a signal he goes 'cacaw' like Russell from Up?
  • "The sun's getting real low"
  • The musical cues were incredible as well. A great way to throw in a few more hidden gags, like the X-men theme for the heroic landing, Logan them in a music box, the use of the Pina colada song as a shout out to GotG. Even Frozen getting a shout out from DP.
  • DP calling Cable Thanos
  • Brad Pitt's Cameo as the Vanisher and now I notice he is even on the poster too.
  • Alan Tudyk and Matt Damon as the rednecks (did not catch these)
  • Juggernaut being credited as himself (apparently that was Ryan Reynolds in there)
  • AP signing something Ryan Reynolds
  • DP slicing Cable's bullet in half (just like in the trailers) but then after several more shots and all that fancy katana slicing you see that Cable really shot him several times he was just lucky the first time.
  • "You're so dark are you sure you're not from the DC universe."
  • Wade Wilson: Sorry I'm late. There was a bunch of handicapable children stuck in a tree. I had to...
    Vanessa: Uh-uh.
    Wade Wilson: You're right. I was fighting a caped badass, but then we discovered that his mom is named Martha, too

Last edited by tanman; 05-29-18 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-29-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^most of those bullet points are emblematic of the excessive forced and obvious humor that was more prevalent in the sequel than in the original. The editing was a bit smug, lingering way too long on some of the zingers, overly pleased with themselves when they weren't all that funny to begin with.
Old 05-29-18, 09:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ Ouch. You need a hug hokey?

Yeah, it was a bit like that. I laughed a lot, but it seems like the type of humor where I’ll groan a bit on re-watches.

Stan Lee didn’t get a real cameo, right? It was just him on a mural or something?
Old 05-29-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I disagree. I missed jokes because they were fast and furious and didn't linger too long for a laugh. I think I agree with tanman. Deadpool had something to prove (and succeed at it) which makes a lot of jokes feel forced. Deadpool 2 was much more relaxed and just had a natural flow to it because the pressure was off.

The only joke that lingered too long was the death scene. Brutally long.
Old 05-29-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the death scene, but maybe i'm used to the Family Guy school of deliberately making jokes last too long so that it becomes funny again
Old 05-29-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
^most of those bullet points are emblematic of the excessive forced and obvious humor that was more prevalent in the sequel than in the original. The editing was a bit smug, lingering way too long on some of the zingers, overly pleased with themselves when they weren't all that funny to begin with.
We’re actually in agreement for once. . Yeah, I really didn’t like the film that much on my first viewing of it and especially thinking on aspects more. It tries to be too clever for its own good and oftentimes hurts itself in the process. It’s not a terrible movie but the first is far, far better.

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ Ouch. You need a hug hokey?

Yeah, it was a bit like that. I laughed a lot, but it seems like the type of humor where I’ll groan a bit on re-watches.

Stan Lee didn’t get a real cameo, right? It was just him on a mural or something?
Yeah I think Stan Lee’s “cameo” in this was a billboard or maybe the side of a building with his face painted on it.
Old 05-29-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

Did Stan Lee need a cameo? He already did one for the teaser trailer....
Old 05-29-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think he did, just replying to Trevor. His cameos are kinda unneeded at this point if you ask me. It sort of feels like a lot of times they're just something filmmakers feel like they're obligated to insert or something. Then again someday when he's gone it'll be sad not seeing them anymore.
Old 05-29-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

Deadpool Electric Boogaloo was possibly going to be the title?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gvl5oucpxqg?rel=0&controls=0&start=312" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-13-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting to see my vote matched half of those who took part: 4 out of 5.
I thought this sequel was a bit less than D1.
Still, it was very good...no doubt about it.

For some reason, I didn't see Stan Lee...
What gives?
Old 06-13-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

He was in the teaser.
Old 06-13-18, 10:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

His face was on a mural on the side of a big building.

I... Didn't like this. I didn't think much of the first one either, so take my opinion for what it's worth
I just felt like it was always trying too hard with the humor (moreso than the first film, and yes I know... That's Deadpool's "style") and it couldn't decide when it was supposed to be legitimately dramatic or comedic.

Oh well. Thanks moviepass!
Old 06-13-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Interesting to see my vote matched half of those who took part: 4 out of 5.
I thought this sequel was a bit less than D1.
Still, it was very good...no doubt about it.

For some reason, I didn't see Stan Lee...
What gives?
Back in 2003, Stan Lee said this about X-Men 2:

It seems that unlike the original movie, he isn't going to be turning up anywhere in X2. When asked if he had a cameo in the sequel he replied "No, no I don't, I don't think I'm gonna have cameos in the sequels 'cause I think that gets to be a little much. I'm hoping I can have a cameo in the first movie of each character."

But then he had a cameo in X-Men 3, but wasn’t in first class, any of the Wolverine movies and probably some others I’m forgetting.
Old 06-14-18, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
His face was on a mural on the side of a big building.
Doh, didn't catch it.
I just felt like it was always trying too hard with the humor (moreso than the first film, and yes I know... That's Deadpool's "style") and it couldn't decide when it was supposed to be legitimately dramatic or comedic.
I completely agree.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Back in 2003, Stan Lee said this about X-Men 2:

It seems that unlike the original movie, he isn't going to be turning up anywhere in X2. When asked if he had a cameo in the sequel he replied "No, no I don't, I don't think I'm gonna have cameos in the sequels 'cause I think that gets to be a little much. I'm hoping I can have a cameo in the first movie of each character."

But then he had a cameo in X-Men 3, but wasn’t in first class, any of the Wolverine movies and probably some others I’m forgetting.
Ahhh, OK.
Old 06-14-18, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Stan Lee has bigger problems right now:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...613-story.html
Old 06-14-18, 04:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted 4 star and then I saw mostly people think same as me
Old 06-14-18, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by melasnus
Looks like Stan Lee has bigger problems right now:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...613-story.html
Yikes.

It's amazing to me that he's only worth $50m considering how many billions of dollars these movies have made. Hell, Downey Jr has probably made more than that just playing Iron Man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.