Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.15%
13.85%
47.69%
16.92%
10.77%
1.54%
3.08%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm pretty sure I saw Quicksilver. Not sure about any others. It was the the younger versions of Beast and Prof. X, right? Shouldn't it have been the Patrick Stewart and Kelsey Grammer versions? Where in the timeline relative to the X-Men movies is this?
Old 05-23-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Beast, Professor X, Quicksilver, Cyclops, Storm I believe. IMDB has the full list.
Old 05-23-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I only noticed Beast, Professor X, and Quicksilver but it’s pretty quick.
Old 05-24-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw this last night. I gave it 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it overall, but felt the first was significantly better.

Pros:
- Beetz as Domino (She is great in Atlanta, and in this movie she got to roll the comedic chops a bit more). And being lucky was definitely cinematic - i loved how they displayed that power on-screen
- Brolin as Cable (remember all the hullabaloo when he was cast? I even initially was against it - but i thought he looked great and owned that character - although would have liked more devlopment of him and Domino)
- Juggernaut - although he didn't say much, and the CGI wasn't the best I've ever seen, it was great to see him depicted pretty faithfully. Even down to him not having a collar (as he's not a mutant - although they didn't really explain that in the movie)
- X-Force scene - this was so out of left field and just amazingly done. Wish Bedlam's death was a bit more creative, but overall, just downright hilarious. Especially shatterstar. Kudos to the marketing team for their extra shots in the trailer, I was not expecting this AT ALL.

Cons:
- Took a WHILE to get going. Didn't really get going until the prison and Cable showing up, which was pretty far in. The whole x-men trainee thing did not work AT ALL (aside from the x-men cameo)
- The Yentl joke - this was a brutal joke that had to be shown (why would he and vanessa be watching that movie?), then explained, then explained again. It simply was not a good running joke. As opposed to the "cable is racist" running joke, which was pretty funny. I know a lot of reynolds' humor doesn't land, but this one was a HUGE miss
- Kid actor for Firefist - at best, he was kind of funny. at worst, he dragged down the scenes he was in.

Other observations:
- I think it was a missed opportunity to not have some collars come off during the prison scene - give an opportunity to cameo some other mutant powers for a few seconds.
- Final Credits Scene - I saw this reported as THE BEST CREDITS SCENE IN MOVIE HISTORY. yeah, it was funny, but it really was just repeating the 2 MAIN jokes in both movies - that Green Lantern and Deadpool in Origins were both bad. yup, we get it.
Old 05-24-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I kind of agree about the end credits scene. Both of those movies were the subjects of jokes in the first film and while it was kinda funny I didn’t think it was best end credits scene ever or anything like a lot of people have been saying.
Old 05-24-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I also didn't think the end credits scene was as amazing as social media alluded too, but maybe I heard too much hype about it.
Old 05-24-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

It's not the scene itself it's the whole "resetting the timeline" trope that makes it. I loved it.

BUT... If there is a Deadpool 3, they need to move on from Green Lantern and the Origins Deadpool.
Old 05-24-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. I don’t know in addition to the jokes about Green Lantern and Origins Deadpool feeling played out I also thought it was a bit of a cop out to basically undo all the events in the film that way. I wasn’t a fan of Vanessa dying right away but it also felt kinda cheap to just be like “nevermind” right away. It’s basically like saying the movie doesn’t really even matter. I get the spoofing time travel aspect but it still sorta cheapens the film.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-24-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
...I also thought it was a bit of a cop out to basically undo all the events in the film that way. I wasn’t a fan of Vanessa dying right away but it also felt kinda cheap to just be like “nevermind” right away. It’s basically like saying the movie doesn’t really even matter.
Kinda like Avengers: Infinity War... which I think is unintentionally part of the gag, too.

The problem I think most have with the start of DP2 is that "is it ok to laugh when Vanessa is taken away and the subsequent jokes that follow?" It's like if your gf died of a drug overdose and you watch Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip to cheer you up. Emotions are conflicted. It's when he sorts those things out and has a focus that it changes the mood and tempo.
Old 05-24-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Kinda like Avengers: Infinity War... which I think is unintentionally part of the gag, too.
Infinity War doesn’t undo everything at the end of the film and we don’t exactly know how they’re handling the comebacks of the characters. It’s one thing to have expectations that we know the characters will return in some capacity versus basing a lot of your film on the death of a character which is used to develop the main character and then reverse it for a cheap bit at the end.
Old 05-24-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Infinity War doesn’t undo everything at the end of the film and we don’t exactly know how they’re handling the comebacks of the characters. It’s one thing to have expectations that we know the characters will return in some capacity versus basing a lot of your film on the death of a character which is used to develop the main character and then reverse it for a cheap bit at the end.
DP2 just beat them to the punch and made it super obvious that shit like that can be reversed. Besides, all thru DP2 he refers to these gags as lazy writing.
Old 05-24-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well technically DC beat them both to the punch (both with the current DCEU films and as far back as Superman: The Movie) so it’s nothing new or clever. I don’t know it just didn’t work for me.
Old 05-24-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The problem I think most have with the start of DP2 is that "is it ok to laugh when Vanessa is taken away and the subsequent jokes that follow?" It's like if your gf died of a drug overdose and you watch Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip to cheer you up. Emotions are conflicted. It's when he sorts those things out and has a focus that it changes the mood and tempo.
I haven't really seen anyone say anything that would indicate that being a problem. I thought the beginning was slow, but it has nothing to do with laughing after Vanessa's death rather I just didn't think the following scenes were that funny.
Old 05-25-18, 08:53 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4h2qg4f3CJA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-25-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
- Final Credits Scene - I saw this reported as THE BEST CREDITS SCENE IN MOVIE HISTORY. yeah, it was funny, but it really was just repeating the 2 MAIN jokes in both movies - that Green Lantern and Deadpool in Origins were both bad. yup, we get it.
Not only did they mock Origins, they actually sent Deadpool into ANOTHER MOVIE to kill the character played by the same actor that plays Deadpool. Then they one-upped it by sending Deadpool into the "real world" to kill the actor who plays Deadpool.

I don't know how those are both not one of the best end credit moments ever. It's right up there with when the characters from Blazing Saddles end up in the movie theater watching Blazing Saddles.
Old 05-25-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Not only did they mock Origins, they actually sent Deadpool into ANOTHER MOVIE to kill the character played by the same actor that plays Deadpool. Then they one-upped it by sending Deadpool into the "real world" to kill the actor who plays Deadpool.
yeah, i saw it. Thanks for the detailed explanation! My point is they have beaten the "wasn't Deadpool in Origins horrible?" and "Hey, remember how bad Green Lantern was?" jokes into the ground in both movies, in the marketing for both movies, in like a billion tweets, in interviews with Ryan Reynolds, etc. Hopefully now those jokes are really, really dead.

If the post credits scene is symbolizing the official killing of those jokes, then i'm all for it. But i doubt it is.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-25-18 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-25-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
yeah, i saw it. Thanks for the detailed explanation! My point is they have beaten the "wasn't Deadpool in Origins horrible?" and "Hey, remember how bad Green Lantern was?" jokes into the ground in both movies, in the marketing for both movies, in like a billion tweets, in interviews with Ryan Reynolds, etc. Hopefully now those jokes are really, really dead.

If the post credits scenes is symbolizing the official killing of those jokes, then i'm all for it. But i doubt it is.
I'm saying that it's more than just making a joke about it. In the first movie they showed the Deadpool Origins action figure which is as far as I thought they'd ever take it.

The fact that they put him into a completely different movie was insanity.
Old 05-25-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

It was an amusing credits scene, but hardly earth-shattering or revolutionary. A little too smug and in love with its own cleverness, but amusing enough.
Old 05-25-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Everyone seeing #deadpool2 this weekend: Thank You For Being A Friend. ⚔️

A post shared by Ryan Reynolds (@vancityreynolds) on <time style=" font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px;" datetime="2018-05-25T13:00:32+00:00">May 25, 2018 at 6:00am PDT</time>

<script async defer src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>
Old 05-25-18, 08:53 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I just got back form the theater, and I laughed my ass off the entire time (so much that I missed a lot of lines, I need to see it again).

What that Brad Pitt as the Invisible member of the X Force?
Old 05-25-18, 08:57 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Oh, and I thought that Julian Dennison was great as Firefist. I knew him from Hunt for the Wilderpeople (a 2016 movie with Sam Neil).l
Old 05-25-18, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman

What that Brad Pitt as the Invisible member of the X Force?
Yes
Old 05-25-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Oh, and I thought that Julian Dennison was great as Firefist. I knew him from Hunt for the Wilderpeople (a 2016 movie with Sam Neil).l
Directed by Taika Waititi, which may interest some Thor Ragnorak fans.
Old 05-25-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I don't get all the hate for Dennison ... he was a kid, he was supposed to be obnoxious.

Odd question though ... Did they have him in a fat suit? Particularly in the prison jumpsuit, his body looked weird -- like it didn't move organically (like a prosthetic).
Old 05-25-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm saying that it's more than just making a joke about it. In the first movie they showed the Deadpool Origins action figure which is as far as I thought they'd ever take it.

The fact that they put him into a completely different movie was insanity.
I think if they did something like that in the first movie I would have been more impressed. The way it happened in the this movie felt... expected.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.