Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Greenland (2020, D: Waugh) S: Gerard Butler, Morena Baccarin, Scott Glenn

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Greenland (2020, D: Waugh) S: Gerard Butler, Morena Baccarin, Scott Glenn

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Greenland (2020, D: Waugh) S: Gerard Butler, Morena Baccarin, Scott Glenn

Predictable story from start to finish and nothing that hasn't been done a dozen times before, but Butler and Baccarin make it enjoyable and worth watching!
Old 12-18-20, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

If you can’t wait, This is officially out today. $20 rental.

Otherwise it will be on HBO Max in 2021.
Old 12-18-20, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, im going to watch this tonight and Tenet.
Old 12-27-20, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk God

A buddy of mine gave me a $100 Amazon GC for Christmas and I used some of it to rent this in 4K

This was a really solid movie. I was really surprised how riveted I was. I might even go as far as saying this might be one of Gerry Butler's best movies. As Dave said on the previous page, this was way better than Angel has Fallen as far as Butler movies. Sure, it's a pretty standard disaster movie for the most part, but the acting in this movie was solid by Butler and Baccarin and it really resonated with me and I cared for the characters. There are some really tense and emotional sequences. Ric Roman Waugh did a really great job with this on a mid-level budget. The last scene also really lifts your spirits and brings hope to these characters.

I might actually get the 4K disc for this when it comes out.
Old 12-28-20, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Rented this over the long weekend. Decent flick overall. Two minor gripes but it didn't really effect my enjoyment of the ride.
Spoiler:
Pet peeve of mine is when films use scenarios which are absolutely impossible when it's not even needed to tell the story. The idea that the government could hide that A. it was a shower of rocks rather than a single comet and B. where/when/how it was going to impact Earth is laughable. There are many amateur telescopes across the world which would have figured out the truth long before impact. Scenarios like that throw me right out of the movie.

Second is the end. We're supposed to feel hope for the characters but they're all going to die. The son will run out of insulin soon (which is why the government didn't want to take him in the first place) and the land is in no shape to use for growing food. Once the rations in the bunkers run out, everyone will still die probably in a more painful way than if they just let the big one kill them. Hell, it would probably turn into a cannibal situation and become a horror film plot.

The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-08-21)
Old 01-17-21, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Watched this tonight and echo everything Christy Lemire said. Was expecting another dumb but fun "London is Fallen". Miles better. One of the better disaster/popcorn films I've ever seen.

Old 01-17-21, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I've been reading posts about the 4K disc import. They fucked up during the authoring process and region locked it like a Blu-ray. I assume that unless you have one of those region free 4K players (the all in one machines) you will not be able to play it on a native USA 4K player.
Old 02-08-21, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

It was an interesting watch but not sure this is something I would need to revisit. A few of the plotlines are really predictable and somewhat unbelievable but if you can suspend disbelief it's a fun watch. The interesting thing for me is "Roy" from the office has popped up 3-4 times this week on different movies and shows I watched so it's sort of an odd little coincidence to start seeing him again.
Old 02-08-21, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

The good: Genuine sense of stress of separation in a disaster.

The bad: I don't care about your marital angst, I want to see society to collapse to have a processing outlet for that happening in the real world.

Also hilariously, my girlfriend and I were like, "Uh... that looks like Iceland, not Greenland..." Sure enough, they filmed those scenery shots in Iceland.
Old 02-11-21, 08:08 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I thought, overall, this was generally pretty good. I liked that it was smaller in scope and a bit more character oriented. It reminded me a bit of The Wave to a degree.
I didn't care much for the cliched separation of the family, child with medical issue, etc.
Old 03-15-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Rented this yesterday and thought it was pretty darn good. I'm all about disaster movies and this, as Dex mentioned, was way more character driven but overall a solid movie. I give it 3.5/5 and worth the rental and for sure a watch on HBO Max.
Old 05-05-21, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

just rented this and was expecting a moody emo thing because the poster looked like Songbird and was pleasantly surprised to get a full-on popcorn movie. Frustrating at times because of people making questionable choices under extreme circumstances, but as noted, they kept the human element.

Originally Posted by Noonan
Rented this over the long weekend. Decent flick overall. Two minor gripes but it didn't really effect my enjoyment of the ride.
Spoiler:
Second is the end. We're supposed to feel hope for the characters but they're all going to die. The son will run out of insulin soon (which is why the government didn't want to take him in the first place) and the land is in no shape to use for growing food. Once the rations in the bunkers run out, everyone will still die probably in a more painful way than if they just let the big one kill them. Hell, it would probably turn into a cannibal situation and become a horror film plot.

Spoiler:
The disc I rented included the original ending in which the survivors were shown growing plants in planter boxes. Maybe that’s unrealistic, but they wanted to show that hopefulness. I forget whether the director intro explained why they cut that part.

Old 05-08-21, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

This premieres on HBO/HBOMax tonight. It's currently up.
Old 05-09-21, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

This was surprisingly enjoyable. Caught this on HBO and figured I'd have it on in the background, but I ended up sitting and watching all of it. I kind of hoped that it would have gone with a darker ending, but overall really enjoyed it. It's a more grounded take on the genre and is much better for focusing on the one family instead of the usual disaster movie trope of multiple characters/storylines.
Old 05-09-21, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
just rented this and was expecting a moody emo thing because the poster looked like Songbird and was pleasantly surprised to get a full-on popcorn movie. Frustrating at times because of people making questionable choices under extreme circumstances, but as noted, they kept the human element.

Spoiler:
The disc I rented included the original ending in which the survivors were shown growing plants in planter boxes. Maybe that’s unrealistic, but they wanted to show that hopefulness. I forget whether the director intro explained why they cut that part.
Really good film
Spoiler:
they showed on the news at the grandfather’s house that the bunkers in Greenland had hydroponic greenhouses, supplies, etc.
Old 05-12-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Watched it on HBO Max and really liked it. I wish there was a 4K disc stateside. I almost bought the BD used via Redbox but then they raised the price a bit. I don't remember if the iTunes version has DV and Atmos, but the price is still too high there.

Also, in the end the voice over the intercom says
Spoiler:
that they've been in the bunker for 9 months.

Old 05-12-21, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Watched it on HBO Max and really liked it. I wish there was a 4K disc stateside. I almost bought the BD used via Redbox but then they raised the price a bit. I don't remember if the iTunes version has DV and Atmos, but the price is still too high there.

Also, in the end the voice over the intercom says
Spoiler:
that they've been in the bunker for 9 months.
If you still want, PM me your address and I'll send you my copy. We had an extra screener copy. Watched once, but no Digital Code.
Old 05-12-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Just added this to My List on HBOMax looks like some fun Summer Action. Glad to see people are positive. Will def check it out.
Old 05-23-21, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Wow. This was surprisingly good. I went in expecting a cheesy disaster movie but it ended up being a fairly realistic portrayal of the end of the world. Ok, it wasn’t completely realistic but it was close enough. Sadly, I think a real end of the world scenario would play out much worse than the movie portrayed. I think this wrapped everything up a little too neatly.

Never-the-less, the movie gripped me from the start and never really let up. There were some cliches that the movie had to work through but as annoying as the “family gets separated” and “kid with a medical problem” is, the story handled them fairly well, I thought. The Presidential Alert message that popped up a few times was pretty terrifying in how authentic it felt.

There were also some really nice little touches throughout. All the wives giving each other little looks at the party, the woman reluctantly going along with her husband to kidnap the kid, and Scott Glenn’s attitude toward Gerard Butler were nice touches that added a little bit of humanity to what could have been a cookie cutter disaster movie.

I guess it’s arguable as to whether this is Butler’s best movie but I’d say it’s definitely his best performance to date. Morena Baccarin was also really good here!

If you have HBOmax, I’d definitely recommend this

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 05-23-21 at 01:46 PM.
DJariya (05-23-21)
Old 05-24-21, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I watched this last night. I thought it should have been renamed:
Spoiler:
Diabetes and Traffic: the Comet Story

it had scary parts but I'd only give it a C, maybe a C+
Old 05-26-21, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I never would have watched this had it not been for the comments here. Thanks dvdtalk, this was enjoyable.
GoldenJCJ (05-26-21)
Old 05-27-21, 10:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I watched this last night. I thought it should have been renamed:
Spoiler:
Diabetes and Traffic: the Comet Story

it had scary parts but I'd only give it a C, maybe a C+
I thought that part was one of the very very clichés they opted for. As soon as we saw the kids was diabetic, you knew what was going to happen. Another gripe for me is the part where Roy from The Office and Hope Davis kidnap the kid? Seriously? And when they opened the doors at the end. Like no one look like they were in a cave for 9 months. It's like they opened up the door a few minutes after the comet hit. Small nitpicks for me but it was still a really good Armageddon-style film.

I also dug the pseudo Purge type stuff when society broke down when she and the kid went into the pharmacy. Not sure if it's worth a 4K disc pickup, but I'll probably get it on digital sometime down the line.
Old 05-27-21, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Did he ever call his neighbor? He said he would call him when he arrived at the checkpoint for chosen folks.

Old 05-27-21, 03:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That will be restored in the Zach Snyder cut.
Old 05-27-21, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

To add to the chorus, I had been waiting for this to drop in price to buy on Fandango Now (I have Gift Cards), but upon learning this was on HBO Max I put it on and ended up watching all the way through and paying attention. It really is a shockingly good end of the world film and kudos to the word of mouth on this site and others that encourages folks to watch this movie. I went in expecting something a bit sluggish at times with not a lot of special effects, etc., and yet this film had some solid effects work and plenty of scenes that were quite action oriented. It was paced well and I said to myself after it was over, wow...folks on-line are right, this was a really good movie.

The following 2 users liked this post by Inhumans99:
Giantrobo (05-28-21), GoldenJCJ (05-27-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.