Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite movie endings?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite movie endings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Favorite movie endings?

And also this Chaplin gem, the original walking into the sunset

Modern Times

Old 05-16-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Was it the first Nightmare on Elm St which ended with the kids getting into Freddy-car and driving off? Been many years but I remember being blown away by having a "bad" ending like that.
Yes, and don't forget the horrifying part of the mother being impossibly pulled through the tiny door window by Freddy's arm.

Old 05-16-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 05-16-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Obvious sentimental choice for me, since I love every single thing about this film:

But here are a couple of more offbeat choices that spring to mind (don't press play if you don't want spoilers):

Memento. Alas, the video cuts off a couple of seconds too early. A great final line:

An American Werewolf in London. Already a good ending, but also has the most awesome musical transition to the end credits in cinematic history (fast forward to 1:45 or so):

Old 05-16-18, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
I've heard that argument over the years and while I understand it, I can't help but think about how non-cinematic that ending would be -- Morgan Freeman reading a letter in a halfway house and smiling. I always just took that final image to be the picture in Red's mind of the upcoming event rather than a documentation of the actual reunion (he uses the same future-tense language in the scene). That was just my take though.
It should have ended on the bus, with his final words "I hope..."
Old 05-16-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Yeah, that's a good one. Although I do wish I knew what he whispered to her.
True, and there are people who played with the audio levels trying to discern what was said.
Old 05-16-18, 05:48 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Sergio Corbucci's Companeros

Franco Nero, Tomas Milian, Ennio Morricone. Nuff said.

<iframe width="610" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SClbsNWBsxk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-16-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
It should have ended on the bus, with his final words "I hope..."
I remember hearing that that was Darabont’s original ending. The final shot was the bus driving away with Red saying “I hope...”. Apparently test audiences insisted there should be a final reunion between Andy and Red so the Mexico ending was filmed.

I can understand both sides but I guess I chalk it up to me being a j6p because I feel like I needed that reunion at the end as well.

Although I never considered it but I do like Decker’s interpretation of the ending being in Red’s mind of what he hopes he finds in Mexico. To me that almost works better than the “I hope” ending and the literal reunion.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 05-16-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-16-18, 07:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A few personal favourites of mine:-

1) Land of the Pharaohs (1954) - "This is what you have lied and cheated and murdered to achieve!"

2) Gone With the Wind (1939) - overused but that line, "Frankly my Dear, I don't give a damn" followed by Scarlett's speech about returning to Tara is just perfect.

3) The Searchers (1956) - John Wayne, unwanted, walking away from camera into Monument Valley as the door of the house, with reunited happy family within, closes behind him.

4) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) - "Nothing's too good for the man who shot Liberty Valance" followed by that look on James Stewart's face and that of Vera Miles as well.

5) Dracula (1958) - The whole final sequence but especially the dust blowing away from around the ring and leading into James Bernard's pounding final theme.

6) The Spider and the Fly (1949) - The final look that passes between Guy Rolfe and Eric Portmann as the latter recognises the former, as Maurice Denham makes it clear what is going to happen to anyone boarding the train.

7) A Tale of Two Cities (pretty much any version but especially the 1980 TV movie) - "It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done. It is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

8) Witchfinder General (1968) - "You took him away from me!!!!"
Old 05-17-18, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
So, a lot of The Usual Suspects and no mention of Casablanca? (I know that the writer didn't know the origin of the phrase).

Casablanca, the perfect movie with the perfect ending.

Big Fish too, my wife and I love the movie, we always cry at the end. Decided to watch it with our 12 years old daughter. First time she cries watching a movie.
Oh yeah Big Fish had a great ending. It really wrapped up all the crazy stuff that was going on.
Old 05-17-18, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I remember hearing that that was Darabont’s original ending. The final shot was the bus driving away with Red saying “I hope...”. Apparently test audiences insisted there should be a final reunion between Andy and Red so the Mexico ending was filmed.
At least they got a free trip to Mexico out of it from the producers.

I generally favor the "leave them wanting a little more" type ending. The only one like that I didn't quite dig was the ending of Good Will Hunting. It would have been nice to have a brief scene where they see each other, perhaps from a distance, instead of just ending with the car driving off into the distance. However, Van Sant obviously wanted to end with the "son of a bitch stole my line" and I guess it wouldn't make sense sequentially to have Will make it all the way to California and see her again.

Sort of along that line, I love the ending of 50/50 also. All that romantic tension buildup and yet the audience never even sees JGL and Kendrick so much as kiss in the movie. But his sly grin in the film's final shot tells us everything we need to know. Plus, it was timed perfectly with Yellow Ledbetter:

I could have seen GWH ending like this. Will waits outside a med school building at Stanford. She comes out, sees him standing there. The camera is on her tight as her face lights up with recognition and a smile, fade to black.

Another great "leave them wanting more" ending was the ending of Sideways. He walks up to her door and knocks and the movie ends.
Old 05-17-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

This one’s polarizing but I thought it was great!

Old 05-18-18, 07:53 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

so many great posts here! Makes me want to revisit a lot of movies and explore some i never seen
Old 05-18-18, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of mine:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R6-LDKl3FOs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-28-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Forgot to mention the ending of Fish Tank. It's one of my favorite movies. When Nas's song "Life's a Bitch" comes on at the end, I almost always tear up. One of the most downbeat but yet upbeat (paradoxical) endings I've ever seen. Andrea Arnold kicked ass with that movie. And Fassbender was amazing. I love that movie.
Old 05-29-18, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

From my favourite film, and possibly the most quietly devastating ending in film (clip lacks subs):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S5rSsOd7VxM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-30-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This one’s polarizing but I thought it was great!

https://youtu.be/VXNfxK5Q2Qg
Old 06-03-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
From those of us who have no idea what movies you are referring to based solely on a still image, well done.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 06-03-18 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-03-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
For me, Lost in Translation. Love that movie and its bittersweet ending.
Absolutely, yes!
Old 06-03-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Many many but no one has mentioned the original Planet Of The Apes with Charlton Heston or Robert Duvall in THX1138.
Old 06-03-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
From those of us who have no idea what movies you are referring to based solely on a still image, well done.
Blair Witch Project... it was kind of a big deal back in the day.
Old 06-03-18, 09:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

The Third Man and The Station Agent rank up there for me. Lots of horror leave me wanting more...
Old 06-03-18, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I know I'm in the minority here but The Never Ending Story II

Old 06-04-18, 12:08 AM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I've got to agree with many of the suggested endings so far, particularly that of Lost in Translation.

I'd like to add:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Graduate

and, most especially, The Purple Plain. Even though Lost in Translation is my favorite film, my favorite ending belongs to The Purple Plain. It's the most emotionally perfect ending as I've ever seen.
Old 06-04-18, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
The Third Man and The Station Agent rank up there for me. Lots of horror leave me wanting more...
I would've mentioned The Station Agent, but it's a favourite 'whole' movie, for me. Love every second of that one!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.