Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sinemia -- Movie Pass competitor [Update: DEAD]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
error wiki deleted
Print Wikipost

Sinemia -- Movie Pass competitor [Update: DEAD]

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
re: Sinemia -- Movie Pass competitor [Update: DEAD]

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
Had a Sinemia fail yesterday. The credit card number/info they gave me would not work. I guess many other people have been having the same problem. My wife read its because they re-use the temp credit card numbers and the numbers are getting flagged in anti-scamming programs and getting rejected.
Anyways, i cancelled the reservation and sent them an email saying "fix it" and refund my $1.80

Don't email them because they will not respond. Tweet them directly - they'll help you that way. FYI
Old 12-15-18, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

So trying to use this for the first time in a long time, and yes, I'm being charged 1.80 fee for the privilege of using their service. I tweetered and IM'ed them on Twitter. It's not much but it's the principle of the thing.
And of course I subbed when they weren't doing any other promotions like the Restaurant gift card.

I'm on the 2 a month (2d only) plan, for 6.99 a month. 3.50 a movie (if I use it twice a month). But adding 1.80 to that makes it 5.30 (which is still "cheap", yes, but both Regal and AMC have 5$ movies on Tuesdays anyway). I usually see matinees, for example, tomorrow's showing which is 9.32. So I guess I am still saving money, but when best case scenario they change the plan so it costs 51% more per movie than it did - that doesn't seem right.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 12-15-18 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I'm not a Sinemia user, but in response to the above post ...

When are companies going to figure this out? Whether it is a cell phone plan, an airline ticket, or a movie subscription -- if you need to charge a higher price point, people typically don't mind IF they know the actual price point up front. Advertising a lower price point and then nickel-and-diming people with add on charges is just going to piss off the people who were trying to support you.

Of course, you'll always have the people who say "what are you complaining about, it's still a deal!"

You really would have thought Sinemia would have figured this out since MoviePass wrote an entire book on what not to do.
Old 12-16-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still loving Sinemia. I have not been charged those fees yet. I will starting January 1st, though.
Old 12-16-18, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was charged $1.80 in fees 3 times for the same movie because I had to create 3 advanced tickets because the Sinemia movie payment wasn’t processing the first 2 times. Plus I was charged the $2 Fandango fee. So basically I paid $13 for that movie ticket if you count the fees and $5 Sinemia base ticket price, lol. Normally it doesn’t give me that much trouble. I ordered the actual physical cards from Sinemia, so hopefully that takes care of the problem. At lease Creed II was a great movie.
Old 01-24-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since I did not want to clutter the Movie Pass thread - I was just on the SInemia website and there are some changes for new folks it seems. They are running sales on their tiers and that 30 for $30 plan now has one for $19.99 per month. It's the "classic" tier, which will not grant you access to the fancier showtimes with gimmicks. The drawback is that you have to prepay the entire year.

I misspoke in that MoviePass thread and said that you can pay month to month. That may still be the case if you're a current member but NOT if you're going to be a new one. I thought I would clarify that.

EDIT - I am currently at the "classic" plan that was 30 for $30. The Elite plan version of that is now at $30, with the Classic plan down to $19.99. I sent support a tweet to see if I can either be upgraded to Elite or have the price lowered to the new one.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 01-24-19 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-03-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sinemia finally responded to my inquiry ^

Looks like they will not upgrade my plan to the ELITE 30 for $30. Any promotions or new tiers are limited to new members only. It's fine. I'm still waaaaaaaaay in the green with what I currently have.
Old 02-06-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Okay...my girlfriend bought me a new membership for my birthday for Sinemia without telling me. I already subscribe to AMC A-List because that is mostly all we have around here. I am fine with dumping A-List since it doesn't cover my kid's ticket when we go together but this still seems like not as good a deal as the A-List.

A few questions...it appears she bought a year's subscription for two people for 3 movies a month. Meaning two tickets to the same movie 3 times a month. It is the Classic plan for $15.99 so that seems decent. I only use my A-List at most 4 times a month if I am lucky so this seems pretty good. But it does appear they only let you use them for 2D only (appears no 3D or IMAX...not sure about AMC Prime) and convenience fees are not waived. I usually use Atom with my A-List and get whatever bonuses through them while getting points through my AMC Stubs account.

Can you use your Stubs account in conjunction with Sinemia? Can't seem to find anything on their website or app which lets you link it. Also, what the hell is up with the cardless activation taking a couple of weeks? Shouldn't something like that be instant by now? Of course they want you to pay $10 to have instant activation which makes the whole thing look like a scam. And what kind of fees are they throwing on the tickets? Is this just going to end up costing me as much, if not more than A-List after it is all said and done?
Old 02-07-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

They also charge a $1.80 Sinemia convenience fee per ticket (at least on the annual account I have; they introduced it a couple months after I signed up).
Old 02-07-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Okay...my girlfriend bought me a new membership for my birthday for Sinemia without telling me. I already subscribe to AMC A-List because that is mostly all we have around here. I am fine with dumping A-List since it doesn't cover my kid's ticket when we go together but this still seems like not as good a deal as the A-List.

A few questions...it appears she bought a year's subscription for two people for 3 movies a month. Meaning two tickets to the same movie 3 times a month. It is the Classic plan for $15.99 so that seems decent. I only use my A-List at most 4 times a month if I am lucky so this seems pretty good. But it does appear they only let you use them for 2D only (appears no 3D or IMAX...not sure about AMC Prime) and convenience fees are not waived. I usually use Atom with my A-List and get whatever bonuses through them while getting points through my AMC Stubs account.

Can you use your Stubs account in conjunction with Sinemia? Can't seem to find anything on their website or app which lets you link it. Also, what the hell is up with the cardless activation taking a couple of weeks? Shouldn't something like that be instant by now? Of course they want you to pay $10 to have instant activation which makes the whole thing look like a scam. And what kind of fees are they throwing on the tickets? Is this just going to end up costing me as much, if not more than A-List after it is all said and done?
You cannot use it directly with Sinemia, but you can add it to your Atom Tickets profile, so when you do get your tickets via Atom (Sinemia is paying for the ticket), you will generate points to Stubs.

I have my Regal, Regency, Studio Movie Grill, and Disney Rewards all linked to my Atom account, so I will generate points depending on what theater I decide to go to. ArcLight and iPic Theaters are not supported by Atom yet.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-07-19 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

I've been considering the 30 for $19.99 deal even with paying annually in advance. But the convenience fee sours me on giving it a go. There's no way to avoid it, correct?

Their FAQ make it sound like it's not a given that you'll be charged, but it sounds as if it is from what I'm reading here.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 02-07-19 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I've been considering the 30 for $19.99 deal even with paying annually in advance. But the convenience fee sours me on giving it a go. There's no way to avoid it, correct?

Their FAQ make it sound like it's not a given that you'll be charged, but it sounds as if it is from what I'm reading here.
It can go either way.

I have not paid that fee for months now once they waived it to certain folks. They said it would be a 3 month temporary thing but I'm now on month 4 of the 30 for 30 plan and I'm still not paying that $1.80.
Old 02-07-19, 01:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111

I believe if you opt for a physical card (for $15), you bypass that fee. I ordered the card to have the option to purchase in person and in advance. I believe I wasn't charged the $1.80 for my last ticket, but have for others.
Old 02-07-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You cannot use it directly with Sinemia, but you can add it to your Atom Tickets profile, so when you do get your tickets via Atom (Sinemia is paying for the ticket), you will generate points to Stubs.

I have my Regal, Regency, Studio Movie Grill, and Disney Rewards all linked to my Atom account, so I will generate points depending on what theater I decide to go to. ArcLight and iPic Theaters are not supported by Atom yet.

Cool. Thanks Blu! I typically use Atom for all my ticket purchases since they were doing the buy 5 tickets get one free last year. Not sure if they are still doing that.

I would think you are bypassing the fees if you use Atom and have your Stubs account linked. Now I am patiently waiting for them to activate my account. Still seems weird that they say it takes up to 2 weeks for that.

One thing that caught my eye from them was this:

What is the Rollover ticket feature?
The rollover feature applies to every single Sinemia plan, for both new and existing subscribers. With the Rollover feature, one of the unused movie days rolls over to the next month for later use.
Old 02-07-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Cool. Thanks Blu! I typically use Atom for all my ticket purchases since they were doing the buy 5 tickets get one free last year. Not sure if they are still doing that.

I would think you are bypassing the fees if you use Atom and have your Stubs account linked. Now I am patiently waiting for them to activate my account. Still seems weird that they say it takes up to 2 weeks for that.

One thing that caught my eye from them was this:

What is the Rollover ticket feature?
The rollover feature applies to every single Sinemia plan, for both new and existing subscribers. With the Rollover feature, one of the unused movie days rolls over to the next month for later use.

Atom still charges you their own convenience fee, but since Sinemia buys my ticket in full, they cover it. Beforehand, I was using the Facebook link to get Facebook to cover the Atom convenience fee. I think they renewed it, if you want to avoid that extra $1 from Atom, use:

www.facebook.com/movies
Old 02-08-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I was at the bar last night and when I tried checking in to the movie via the Sinemia app I got an error prompt that said I needed to go to the website at www.sinemia.com/member and update my ID info. I was like, huh? So I get in there and it looks like they have implemented a brand new authentication system where you have to submit two pics to your profile. The first pic is of your driver's license or state ID. The second pic is that of you holding the DL, with your face in the frame (like a selfie of you holding the DL). Once you submit the pics you are able to check-in to the film. I got an email this morning from Sinemia saying that my pics were approved and all is good.

Be sure to take care of this asap, so you don't get caught off guard like I did last night.
Old 02-08-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

OMG. I hate Sinemia so much more than I hated movie pass. Admittedly I was sort not using mp much toward the end but Sinemias usage obstacles seem so much more convoluted and annoying than mp. And yes I'm still ticked about that dollar 80 charge.
Old 02-15-19, 12:38 AM

Anyone else get their Sinemia account banned for misuse? I went to purchase some tickets today and apparently I have been banned from using Sinemia according a message that popped up on the app. I paid for an entire year ahead of time too and never once misused the card. I'm going to try contact their customer service which I bet will be impossible. I am still waiting for them to return a message I sent them on Facebook from about 3 weeks ago.
Old 02-15-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm half way through my year with Sinemia but will probably not use it again since I dont want to upload a photo of my drivers license (which i can only assume will be sold or stolen). They already pissed me off after adding the $1.80 fee per ticket two months after I signed up. Its probably too late to contest this charge with my credit card company, though.
Old 02-15-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I haven’t followed this thread, but poked my head in looking for some good MoviePass-spoof material ..

What in the ever-loving f**k? Who in their right mind would upload a picture of their driver’s license or ID?! Hell, I won’t even buy booze at Walmart because they insist on scanning my ID. That is not their’s and they have no right to have that data.
Old 02-15-19, 10:56 PM

Is this company the new MoviePass. First, they make me upload my government issued photo ID and take a picture of myself. They ban me from using the service until they "verify" the ID and photo. Then, they charged my wife's account for misuse and don't allow her account to purchase any movies!!! How could she possibly be banned when we have the service that allows us to use 3D and IMAX movies? We have checked into every movie we bought. I can't wait until my year long subscription runs out. I am going to purchase the 30 day per month movie plan and try to watch at least 15 movies a month just so they lose money.
Old 02-19-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its a Turkish company that probably going out of business and trying to pull in all cash (or data they can sell) as fast as possible.
Old 03-04-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like they have revamped their tiers and no longer offer the 30 for $30 deal. I logged into my account and got the notice that said my current tier would not renew after it expires this month. Some of the tiers that they are now offering are not that great in terms of price point for existing members. New members will get better deals and prices.
Old 03-17-19, 12:26 AM

So apparently Sinemia is randomly terminating accounts for misuse now. I'm assuming they are only terminating the memberships for people who use the service too much. My membership and my wife's annual membership were just terminated. I"ll be pissed if they don't refund me.
Old 03-17-19, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by The_Cube
So apparently Sinemia is randomly terminating accounts for misuse now. I'm assuming they are only terminating the memberships for people who use the service too much. My membership and my wife's annual membership were just terminated. I"ll be pissed if they don't refund me.
I was just told that they aren't refunding me even though my membership runs through August because the cost of my movie tickets exceeded the amount I paid for my membership. Well, isn't the point of having a movie subscription service to save money? What a scam. I'm going to write my credit card a letter to dispute the charge of my subscription.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.