Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sinemia -- Movie Pass competitor [Update: DEAD]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
error wiki deleted
Print Wikipost

Sinemia -- Movie Pass competitor [Update: DEAD]

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
re: Sinemia -- Movie Pass competitor [Update: DEAD]

It's a take on Italian or Spanish

Sine-Mia

"Cine-Mio" or "Cine-Mia"

"My Cinema"
Old 05-20-18, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

That would make sense since it’s primary market is over seas.
Old 05-20-18, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I had the same thought. What makes it odd, though, is the “i” in the last syllable. That’s what makes everyone unsure of how to pronounce it.
That's so weird. I never noticed it.
Old 05-20-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Sine-Mia

"Cine-Mio" or "Cine-Mia"

"My Cinema"
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That would make sense since it’s primary market is over seas.
Ah, that does make some sense. Probably could have used a bit more market research for the US.

So your second pronunciation is the correct one.
Old 05-21-18, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Sine-Mia

"Cine-Mio" or "Cine-Mia"

"My Cinema"
Oh cool. That makes sense.
Old 05-24-18, 10:12 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

MoviePass’ biggest rival is rolling out Sinemia Cardless — a new feature that allows Sinemia customers worldwide to reserve movie tickets online without using a physical Sinemia card.

Sinemia announced the new feature Thursday, and said it gives customers the opportunity to get their movie tickets through Sinemia immediately after signing up for the service by using a digital card, eliminating the need to wait for their physical card to arrive.

“We’ve seen incredible demand for our movie ticket subscription service, with many customers wanting to dive right in and buy movie tickets without waiting for a physical card to be shipped to them,” said Rifat Oguz, founder and CEO of Sinemia. “At Sinemia, we strive to provide the best moviegoing experience possible while driving the industry forward, and this is just one example of how we’re moving quickly to address our customers’ needs. Sinemia Cardless makes it easier than ever for people to get their movie tickets in advance.”

The new cardless feature is available to all subscribers with a paid Sinemia account in the US, Canada, the UK and Australia. The California-based company announced on May 4 that it was offering annual subscription plans for as low as $4.99 per month for one ticket per month and $6.99 for two tickets per month.

Sinemia has not disclosed how many subscribers it has. Its marketing has emphasized that it offers tickets to all movies and major theater chains and, unlike MoviePass, includes advanced ticketing and seat selection.

MoviePass parent Helios and Matheson Analytics’ stock has declined to its lowest closing price on Wednesday amid ongoing concerns on Wall Street about a cash shortage. It slid 5 cents to close at 49 cents, the lowest close for the stock since the company went public in 1997. An independent auditor also raised questions in April about MoviePass’ ability to continue operations. The company is losing money because it pays movie theaters full price for the tickets its customers buy.

MoviePass claims that it will eventually be able to monetize its more than two million subscribers by running ads, partnering with theater chains, or figuring out a way to make a profit on the data it collects on its users.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/si...al-1202820741/
Old 05-24-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

MoviePass card took just a week to arrive. Wasn't that big of a deal to wait a few days.
Old 05-26-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sinemia's card took less than a week to get here. They have an L.A. office and that's where it was shipped from.
Old 05-27-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I signed up the day they announced Cardless, and I don't see any way to do that on the app. Looks like lots of people are not seeing the Cardless option.
I'm in NC so I don't know where the nearest Sinemia office is. I don't mind a 'reasonable' wait for the card.
Old 05-27-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

You didn't look on the website to see if you had anything close before getting the card?
Old 05-28-18, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't look to see if there was a Sinemia HQ near me, no.
I did check to make sure "my" theatres are on the app, and they are.
Old 06-21-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, Sinemia's support is about as bad as MP's was.
Anyone know if I will ever get a card, or if I can only order tickets online now? I can't tell, and if I had known it was online-only, I might have reconsidered my membership.
Old 06-21-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dear TonyC,

Thank you for contacting the DVDTalk Help Desk for other companies. Your loyalty is our utmost priority, so please keep in mind our mantra is •We’re not satisfied until you’re not satisfied!•

We understand you have recently had issues with your Sinemia card/AMC Stubs card/MoviePass/Weber Outdoor Smoker or Weed Whacker. We express our most sincere sympathies and ask you to provide more information on the enhanced opportunity for customer satisfaction you are enjoying.

If you are having trouble using your card, please reply to this e-mail with “1”.
To continue this enhanced opportunity for customer satisfaction in English, reply with “2”.
If your card is causing undesired demonic possession, please reply with “666”.
If you need to speak to a customer satisfaction agent, please keep hoping.

From the description you have provided, it sounds as if you are not using your card correctly. Remember the card must be used at an authorized point of sale — you cannot just shove it into random cracks and crevices. You also must have the card with you in order to use it — keep the card on you at all times. The card does not work at unauthorized theaters or in alternate dimensions.

If this does not resolve your concerns, please contact us again. We will not answer at our earliest convenience.

Thank you,

Cinemia
Old 06-22-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Could I speak to your supervisor please?

They did respond to me yesterday - saying 'apologies, your card is still on the way', so apparently they're not going totally cardless.
Old 06-22-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's this:

MoviePass competitor Sinemia intros family plans starting at $9

A day after MoviePass announced upcoming surge pricing, Sinemia is introducing a new deal group deal for families. The plans start at $9 a month for one movie for two people and goes up considerably from there, topping out at ten times that amount for three movie days a month for six people.

Families can get expensive.

The new plans will be available in the US, UK, Canada, Australia and Turkey. Earlier this month, the company, which touts itself as a MoviePass competitor in its own press material, launched single user plans starting at as low as $5 a month for a single film. The company also dropped the need for a physical card in a bid to differentiate itself from its chief competitor.

Of course, things have been heating up a fair bit in the category, with MoviePass’s recent explosion in popularity. Earlier this week, the AMC theater chain announced that it was launching its own take on movie membership, which also included a number of non-movie perks.

MoviePass, which recently passed three million paid subscribers, has been diversifying (for better and worse), investing in films like the recent John Travolta feature, Gotti, which scored a rare zero-percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The service is also mulling its own family plan for later this month, but Sinemia beat it to the punch on that one.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/22/mo...starting-at-9/
Old 06-22-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Could I speak to your supervisor please?

They did respond to me yesterday - saying 'apologies, your card is still on the way', so apparently they're not going totally cardless.
Please hold ...

OR

No, good sir. I demand to speak to your supervisor! You are obviously doing something wrong. Put your wife on the phone.
Old 07-20-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Note to self: Don't forget to check-in into the movie theater. I got an email this morning from Sinemia saying that I need to start checking in otherwise they will be charging me full price for the ticket going forward.

Seeing Mission Impossible next week, so noting that shit down!
Old 07-27-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I saw MI6 last night and was not able to check-in, for whatever reason, into the theater. Here's hoping I don't get screwed over on a ticket due to not being able to properly check-in. I tried to do it but remember that my ArcLight ticket taker did not scan my phone, so maybe that had something to do with it? I don't know.
Old 07-27-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I saw MI6 last night and was not able to check-in, for whatever reason, into the theater. Here's hoping I don't get screwed over on a ticket due to not being able to properly check-in. I tried to do it but remember that my ArcLight ticket taker did not scan my phone, so maybe that had something to do with it? I don't know.
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please remember you need pre-authorization for any ticket reimbursement. Do to incompetent management / a high number of customer issues, we might respond to your issue in 48-72 hours.

Oh wait, that’s the other guys ...
Old 07-27-18, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://www.sinemia.com/new-plans

New special summer pricing options.

I don't want to post the prices because it could vary in your region.
Old 07-27-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ypu have to buy the year up front to lock in the savings. It's $13.99 a month for 3 movies in L.A.
Old 07-27-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm giving some serious thought to joining this one over MoviePass. I really like that you can select 3D films. I would likely have opted for MoviePass if it at least gave the option for you to pay the difference.

Just to try to clarify, the one per month restriction applies to Imax and 4D, etc., and not to 3D? That's how I read the terms but thought I'd see if anyone has successfully used it for more than one 3D film in a month.
Old 07-27-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, my closest theater isn't listed with Sinemia. The closest theaters available are AMC, so when Moviepass is gone, I'll pick up A-List instead.
Old 07-27-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I just poked my head into the MoviePass thread. I hadn't looked in there in months. Yikes! I guess that's not really an option anymore.

Unfortunately, Cinemark is the only chain in my area. It started a monthly plan, but I don't think it's worth it for me. It's $9. It pays for one movie per month, which can be rolled over if unused, and you also get 20% off concessions and add-on tickets for $8.99. I guess it's not terrible, especially if you have a spouse or children, but it's just me I have to worry about. One evening ticket for me would run $10.25. That's not much savings. I like the fact that it rolls over, but I wish there were options for more than one film in a month.

Last edited by clckworang; 07-27-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-29-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Looks like Sinemia is having issues too. I was going to sign up after cancelling my MoviePass, but I don't know now...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.