Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sinemia -- Movie Pass competitor [Update: DEAD]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
error wiki deleted
Print Wikipost

Sinemia -- Movie Pass competitor [Update: DEAD]

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
re: Sinemia -- Movie Pass competitor [Update: DEAD]

I'm going to upgrade for that 30 for $30 deal. Monthly plan charges you $29.99 for the initiation fee.
Old 09-17-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Signed up for it and it starts on 10/10/18. Here's my referral link if you're at all interestd:

https://www.sinemia.com/R/VGYVR4
Old 09-17-18, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How did the upgrade work? Had you paid for the year already? Are you charged the difference between what you already paid?
I’m considering doing the annual deal but worried about rolling the dice with $360 at once vs having the rate change to $89.95 after three months.
Old 09-17-18, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by skywalker8
How did the upgrade work? Had you paid for the year already? Are you charged the difference between what you already paid?
I’m considering doing the annual deal but worried about rolling the dice with $360 at once vs having the rate change to $89.95 after three months.
I did not. I was doing the month-to-month. You bring up a good point - this is only a fall deal and the price will jump back up (probably) to $89.95 after the third month. I may pay for the year once I get to the end of my 3rd month, though.

I did not get charged for the difference of what's left of my September plan. I still have two tickets left for this month (I used one up this past weekend).
Old 10-10-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My 30 for $30 is in full effect now. ordered my ticket for First Man tomorrow night.
Old 10-16-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I bought one year of the 2 regular movies a month deal a couple months back. Everything has been fine except last night I got hit with a the $1.80 'convenience fee" from Sinemia for the first time. Its kind of BS to buy a years worth of movies (2 per month for 8 bucks) and then have them tack on extra fees later on. Now instead of only paying 4 bucks for a movie, its now almost 6.
What was odd, though, is my wife, who set up a sinemia account at the same time I did, did not get hit with the extra charge last night.
Old 10-16-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Convenience fee? For what?
Old 10-16-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's a new surcharge for the Advanced Ticket option. For me, in the grand scheme of things, is worth it because out here each ticket is almost $20 by itself - I still come out ahead of the curve. I've already seen 3 movies in 3 days over the weekend and I'm seeing 3 flicks in the next 3 days, so there you go.
Old 10-16-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does that apply to all advance purchases, or just those made through services such as Fandango?
Old 10-16-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's all but I use Atom regularly now, so can't say if it happens through Fandango.
Old 10-19-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Does that apply to all advance purchases, or just those made through services such as Fandango?
Its added on to Fandango fees.
I bought my ticket through the Cinemark movie club so i wouldnt have any cinemark related fees but still got hit with the $1.80 sinemia fee.
Old 10-21-18, 11:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

So... how's this work with Alamo Drafthouse? Any first-hand experience?

Like, can I pick a movie using the Sinemia app, then buy my ticket using the Alamo Drafthouse app (with my Sinemia payment info)?
Old 10-22-18, 08:55 PM

I have used Fandango to get my Sinemia Alamo tickets. It was particularly nice when they had the VIP buy 4 get 1 ticket free deal. Which Atom started as well, to compete with the Fandango deal, and continues to have. But Alamo isn’t on Atom

Anyway, the Alamo app didn’t work the few times I have tried using it with Sinemia. So I use Fandango.
Old 10-22-18, 09:19 PM

I have potentially tossed $360 in the garbage.
I’m on the 3/month annual membership which expires in mid-March 2019.
I really wanted to get in on the 30/month for $30 Fall deal while it lasted. I figured, maybe it won’t be this low again, and I know that going monthly quickly leads to a rate increase. So I extended my account. I paid $360 for a membership that doesn’t even start until March 2019.
I knew all this going into it. But I maybe kinda hoped that if I contacted support that they’d let me start it sooner? I figured they would say No, but actually they have simply ignored my requests for help (on twitter and Facebook Messenger).
I wonder if they’ll even still be around in March. It’s a stupid gamble and frankly I knew how stupid it was when I submitted the order. The last few years I’ve been seeing 150+ movies at the theater per year, and this year I’m on track to see over 200 (2/3rds new movies, 1/3rd 35mm classics). I miss my unlimited MoviePass, which was great even when I was paying $50/month for it. It spoiled me. My hope is that Alamo and Regal roll out their membership plans soon (one is in testing, the other rumored to be in the works) because those are the theaters right by my apartment.
Old 10-22-18, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have potentially tossed $360 in the garbage.
I’m on the 3/month annual membership which expires in mid-March 2019.
I really wanted to get in on the 30/month for $30 Fall deal while it lasted. I figured, maybe it won’t be this low again, and I know that going monthly quickly leads to a rate increase. So I extended my account. I paid $360 for a membership that doesn’t even start until March 2019.
I knew all this going into it. But I maybe kinda hoped that if I contacted support that they’d let me start it sooner? I figured they would say No, but actually they have simply ignored my requests for help (on twitter and Facebook Messenger).
I wonder if they’ll even still be around in March. It’s a stupid gamble and frankly I knew how stupid it was when I submitted the order. The last few years I’ve been seeing 150+ movies at the theater per year, and this year I’m on track to see over 200 (2/3rds new movies, 1/3rd 35mm classics). I miss my unlimited MoviePass, which was great even when I was paying $50/month for it. It spoiled me. My hope is that Alamo and Regal roll out their membership plans soon (one is in testing, the other rumored to be in the works) because those are the theaters right by my apartment.
When did you send them a message on Twitter? The last message I sent them was answered 3 days after the fact.
Old 10-22-18, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
When did you send them a message on Twitter? The last message I sent them was answered 3 days after the fact.
Yesterday twitter.
Today Facebook.
The odd thing is that after I messaged them on twitter, my ability to send them DMs went away. Either they blocked me or they changed their settings? It’s bizarre.
Old 10-22-18, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yesterday twitter.
Today Facebook.
The odd thing is that after I messaged them on twitter, my ability to send them DMs went away. Either they blocked me or they changed their settings? It’s bizarre.
Hmmmm, don't know what that's about, but if you messaged them on Twitter give them a few days before they respond. I've sent them 4 messages in 2 months about random stuff and they responded to the first 3 messages within an hour and within 3 days of the 4th one. They're probably at peak due to the 30 for $30 plans being implemented. They're buried with queries I'm sure.
Old 10-31-18, 07:41 AM

I got an email the other day that they’re going completely cardless and that physical cards won’t work anymore starting 10/31.

Also:
“As an added bonus and to make sure you are all set for Sinemia Cardless, we’ll ensure all our existing physical card users that are affected by this transition will not have to pay any convenience fees & processing fees at least for the next 90 days beginning October 30th or until the end of their current monthly/annual plans.”

I guess that means I won’t have any convenience fees for a while? My annual plan ends in March although as mentioned before (and they still haven’t gotten back to me) my extension goes through 3/2020.
I wonder if not supporting physical cards at all anymore is a way for them to charge the convenience/processing fee with every ticket purchase. And of course their fee can be raised to any amount at any time, as it already has. Or maybe it’s also due to the MoviePass lawsuit.
It’s interesting that they just started doing ticket verification. It used to be that I could buy a ticket for anything but now I have to take a picture of the ticket stub and submit it.
The ticket verification on cardless is different in that you merely have to check in at the theater around the start time. There are some tricks you can pull with that to get tickets farther in advance.
Old 10-31-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, if they are completely cardless, then box office purchases will no longer be possible. So, if a theater does not support Fandango or Atom, they are no longer an option.
Old 10-31-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I was able to use cardless to buy a ticket over AMC's website and through the AMC app. I haven't used Sinemia in a while though so I don't know if I will be getting charged a "convenience" or "service" fee. (Also, I have still never gotten a physical card and now I know not to expect one.)
I think that fee is a load of BS and is almost a Moviepass-level change of service and way to try to recoup money.
Old 10-31-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's great if you have an AMC near you. Many don't, and many theaters don't offer ticket sales through any online tool. It seems kind of foolish to exclude those theaters.
Old 10-31-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't disagree, just sharing that I've had it work via methods other than Fandango and Atom. You can buy tickets through the Regal app as well, though I haven't tried doing so with Sinemia.
Does it limit how useful Sinemia is? Absolutely. Which I'm sure is at least partially their intent, they've probably been watching MP's stumbles. Also, they were initially primarily external to the US - maybe buying tickets online is a lot more prevalent in the other countries they service.
Old 11-01-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like the new update has made the app "cardless" now. You are given the option of being put in the queue for the upcoming "newer" and more "secure" when available. In the meantime you'll still be cardless and all that. The better news is that they'll be waiving processing fees for 90 days or until your plan expires.
Old 11-07-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Save Money on a Sinemia Subscription By Only Seeing Movies on Weekdays

MoviePass competitor Sinemia announced new discounted subscription plans this week for people who are willing to only use the service to see movies on weekdays. The weekday-only plans are around 20% off the company’s standard price and start at $3.99. They can only be used Monday to Thursday.

If you’re not familiar with Sinemia, the service works similarly to MoviePass in that you pay a set rate each month in order to see a predetermined number of movies. Unlike MoviePass, with Sinemia you can purchase those tickets in advance through any ticketing site you’d like and select seats. There are also family plans available. With many theaters, you’ll also have to pay credit card processing fees of around $1 a ticket when you make that reservation.

I have a subscription to the service that I purchased through a separate promotion—for $9 a month my boyfriend and I can go see one movie together and we get a $25 restaurants.com gift certificate each month. I exclusively use my Sinemia subscription to purchase tickets at our local Alamo Draft House where I’m also earning rewards, so while I haven’t used a single one of those restaurants.com certificates, I have earned a free popcorn or two along the way.

Here are the new weekday-only subscription plans:

•$3.99 per month (instead of $4.99 standard price) - One ticket to any movie per month.
•$8.99 per month (instead of $10.99 standard price) - Three tickets to any movie per month.
•$9.99 per month (instead of $12.99 standard price)- Two tickets to any movie per month including 3D, 4D and IMAX formats.
•$14.99 per month (instead of $17.99 standard price) - Three tickets to any movie per month including 3D, 4D, IMAX formats.
•$23.99 per month (instead of $29.99 standard price) - One ticket to any movie per day (aka unlimited) 2D movie tickets
These promotions typically don’t last long—so if this sounds like a great idea to you, don’t wait too long.
https://lifehacker.com/save-money-on...mov-1830270204

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 11-07-18 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Had a Sinemia fail yesterday. The credit card number/info they gave me would not work. I guess many other people have been having the same problem. My wife read its because they re-use the temp credit card numbers and the numbers are getting flagged in anti-scamming programs and getting rejected.
Anyways, i cancelled the reservation and sent them an email saying "fix it" and refund my $1.80

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.