Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great doc about Scorsese from 1988

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 12:32 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Found this great documentary about Scorsese. It appears to be filmed around November 1988 as he’s editing New York Stories. The makers of the doc are a bit full of themselves, but they are VERY fly-on-the-wall. It is a fascinating time capsule. Brian Depalma is in it. Michael Powell, Jay Cocks, even Scorsese’s dog! Thelma Schoonmaker is working the KEM while people are trying to have a conversation. I forgot how loud those things are. The editing suite is so silent now.

Old 05-03-18, 12:40 PM
Banned

Re: Great doc about Scorsese from 1988

Can anyone help me find a Scorsese clip I’ve been looking for years to find?

Scorsese was on Letterman. This was definitely in the NBC era because the subject of the conversation is the building they are in, 30 Rockefeller Center. Dave brings up that the famous shot from Taxi Driver where Deniro makes the phone call and the camera just sort of “leaves” him and glides away, was shot in the lobby of the building. Dave then throws it to a remote cameraman in the lobby who films the exact spot, and moves his camera the same way, and then they play the actual film and you can see the changes and how different the hallway looked.

I’d estimate it was sometime between 1985 and 1990 (or whenever Dave left NBC). I saw it on the E! network back in the late ‘90s when they would show old reruns of Letterman.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-03-18 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Not the appearance you're asking for, but here's Scorsese bringing his dog on Letterman (at very end of interview):

Old 05-03-18, 02:06 PM
Banned

Yes I watched that too. The dog is like Hitchcock with his little cameos. He pops up a lot.

I’ve watched every Letterman/Scorsese interview on YouTube, but I can’t find what I’m looking for. There’s a great one from ‘82 and Scorsese is skiddish and addled. He went through some fases.

Brainstorm! Maybe it was a Deniro interview! I’ll be right back.

Nope. Nada.
Old 05-03-18, 02:40 PM
Banned

Breakthrough. I found this:

http://www.scoutingny.com/new-york-y...iver-part-iii/

My memory is wrong. It wasn’t 30 Rockefeller. The Ed Sullivan Theater was where they filmed Taxi Driver. So it was a CBS era interview. So strange that I remember it being a rerun on E!

Okay now I bet I’ll find it.
Old 05-09-18, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Found this great documentary about Scorsese. It appears to be filmed around November 1988 as he’s editing New York Stories. The makers of the doc are a bit full of themselves, but they are VERY fly-on-the-wall. It is a fascinating time capsule. Brian Depalma is in it. Michael Powell, Jay Cocks, even Scorsese’s dog! Thelma Schoonmaker is working the KEM while people are trying to have a conversation. I forgot how loud those things are. The editing suite is so silent now.

https://youtu.be/7UnR9wihUN4
Okay. Even I didn’t watch the whole doc until last night. Even if you don’t watch the whole thing, everyone owes it to themselves to watch starting at the 39 minute mark. It shows how Scorsese had an assistant whose entire job was to operate a bank of VCRs and 3 TVs and record every movie off of tv that Scorsese wanted to watch. Every tape corresponds to a card catalogue of titles. He had 8,800 movies!

And something is constantly on. In the editing bay he is just watching movies the whole time.