Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killer - Remake (2023, D: John Woo)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Killer - Remake (2023, D: John Woo)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Killer Remake (2019) S: Lupita Nyong’o -- D: John Woo

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I also adore Spoorloos and Abre Los Ojos, and I just feel that remakes are a blight on great originals. Remaking just smacks of cashing-in and a vacuum of ideas. One can ignore remakes, and I do, but they still hang like albatrosses, weighing down the originals. Sure, Spoorloos will always be an all-time masterpiece, but lurking forever in the background is the remake, with the same director in "slumming it" mode.
Old 05-01-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
re: The Killer - Remake (2023, D: John Woo)

Since Woo is involved, I'm open minded to see if he can put a modern spin to this story.

The original movie is really dated and I'd like to see how he can update it for 2019. The technology of this era alone should change things up.
Old 05-01-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: The Killer - Remake (2019) S: Lupita Nyong’o -- D: John Woo

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
The only thing I wish Woo could do is go back in time and . . .
Based on MAN HUNT, I wouldn't necessarily wish for this, although I suppose the existence of that movie now makes a little more sense in light of this news, as there were probably interested parties that wanted to know if he could still direct a contemporary-set action picture after 13 years (more or less).

Now, if he casts his daughter as the cop, well count me in!

Last edited by Brian T; 05-01-18 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The original movie is really dated and I'd like to see how he can update it for 2019.
I like ABT, The Killer and Hard Boiled.
The only things that make it feel really dated, for me, is when you have characters on screen doing fake punches and kicks with the *WA-PSHHT!!* sound effect. And then characters like Alan getting shot all over his body and walking out the hospital like nothing. Jeff gets shot with a shot gun but doesn't even slow him down.

Other than that, those movies are perfect. First two anyway.
Old 05-01-18, 06:34 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Hard Boiled is the best, IMO.
Old 05-01-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

No way.
I felt like Tequila was too much like the cliched action-hero cop.
Woo had written better characters before like with Mark and Jeff from the other two films.

Alan was a cool character. I heard that The Killer didn't do that well financially. Maybe Hard Boiled was Woo's attempt to be more mainstream? I don't know.
I still need to see Bullet In the Head.
Old 05-02-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But will they still be Mickey Mouse and Dumbo?

Originally Posted by jjcool
Didn't the Criterion have different nicknames? Numbnuts and Butthead? I seem to remember a version that didn't use the Mickey Mouse and Dumbo nicknames.
Yeah, there are several different subtitle translations, another translation has them as "Tom" and "Jerry". If wiki is correct, the original Cantonese nicknames used in the film roughly translate to "Shrimp Head" and kid or baby.

Originally Posted by dex14
Hard Boiled is the best, IMO.
It's my favorite Woo film as well, with Bullet in the Head a close second.
Old 05-02-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Maybe Hard Boiled was Woo's attempt to be more mainstream? I don't know.
I think Hard Boiled was basically Woo's resume to get into Hollywood. It worked (for better or for worse).
Old 05-02-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, there are several different subtitle translations, another translation has them as "Tom" and "Jerry". If wiki is correct, the original Cantonese nicknames used in the film roughly translate to "Shrimp Head" and kid or baby.
I've seen "Shrimp Head" listed at several sources, so my guess is that one is most likely correct.
Old 05-02-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
The Killer is one of favorite foreign films. It’s the same director so who knows. I know I haven’t seen a Woo pic in sometime. I have Red Cliff of something but haven’t gotten around. Very long. I’ll try to checkout this Netflix flick as well...
avoid Red Cliff on netflix as its the shortened international edtion. Its a 2 part 5 hour plus film that was cut down to 140 minutes
Old 05-02-18, 05:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
avoid Red Cliff on netflix as its the shortened international edtion. Its a 2 part 5 hour plus film that was cut down to 140 minutes
no no, I believe I have the longer cut on blu...
Old 05-02-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
The shorter version is better. It's basically a three-hour movie at best, yet Woo's two-parter expanded it to an interminable 5 hours. The 2&1/2 hour cut leaves out some much-needed scenes that, if put back in, would have made it about 2hrs.&45 min. Which would have been tolerable. But I found the long version, esp. the second half, a chore to sit through. There's at least an hour devoted to whether the wind is going to go this way and save the mission or go that way and abort the mission. If the Weather Channel did historical epics...
Old 11-16-19, 10:36 AM

There is good news and bad news about John Woo’s forthcoming remake of his 1989 crime drama The Killer. The good news is that it’s still being made. The bad news is that Lupita Nyong’o is no longer attached to the project. The iconic director shared the news about Nyong’o leaving the project with Deadline at the Hawaii International Film Festival, where he was receiving the festival’s Halekulani Lifetime Achievement Award.

“There was a scheduling problem because she’s so popular right now!” said Woo about Nyong’o’s exit. “We rewrote the script and it took so much time…she had to leave for another project.”

Deadline initially broke the news that Nyong’o was going to star in the film at Universal, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this year. It is unfortunate that the Us star had to drop out as many were looking forward to seeing her in the gender-flipped take on the classic starring Chow Yun-fat. Woo said that they are moving on and the lead is still going to be a woman.

“The biggest reason why I wanted to do this movie again because [I wanted] ‘the killer’ to be a woman — that’s exciting to me,” said Woo. “It will make the movie have a different look.”

Woo explains that he has seen many female action stars and felt that there was soul missing from their performances. He wanted to create a complex female action star that just doesn’t just fight well but wanted to bring a prominent element of emotion and humanity to the role. He said that Nyong’o was at the top of his list because of her acting capability, but now that she is out, they have just started looking for a new leading woman for The Killer. Woo said that they don’t necessarily need to cast an action star in the film because his specialty is to make any actor “look like an action star.” He smiled, “I have that gift.”
https://deadline.com/2019/11/john-wo...se-1202787915/
Old 11-16-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scarlett Johansson and Emma Stone.
Old 11-16-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Scarlett already did Lucy and Ghost in the Shell. It'd be sort of redundant. I'd say Charlize Theron if she hadn't already done Atomic Blonde. Luc Besson's "Anna" was The Killer. Why is this even being remade?
Old 11-16-19, 03:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Nupita would have been badass, considering that great little Netflix zombie movie i just saw her in. Zoe Saldana already did one and aforementioned Caucasian girls, so maybe Tessa Thompson? i wouldn't mind her in the Killer role...
Old 11-16-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I vote for Zazie Beetz. Or Emily Blunt.
Old 11-16-19, 05:35 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I vote for...no more remakes.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (08-04-22)
Old 11-16-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I vote for...no more remakes.
In general, I would agree. But a situation like this where it's the same director looking to "reimagine" the original film with different dynamics at play is more interesting to me.
Old 11-16-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I’m not a huge fan of Nyong’o so no big loss for me.

Is Taraji P. Henson too old? How about Meagan Good?
Old 11-16-19, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m not a huge fan of Nyong’o so no big loss for me.

Is Taraji P. Henson too old? How about Meagan Good?
Taraji already did Proud Mary and it bombed. That won't happen. If anything, Woo will cast somebody that is economically viable.
Old 11-17-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Scarlett Johansson and Emma Stone.
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Scarlett already did Lucy and Ghost in the Shell. It'd be sort of redundant.
I didn't think I'd have to explain my joke to this crowd.
Old 05-02-22, 08:39 AM

Will premiere on Peacock next year.

After two decades of working back in his native country of China, action master John Woo’s return to Hollywood filmmaking has been solidified. He’s currently shooting Silent Night, a dialogue-free actioner starring Joel Kinnaman, Catalina Sandino Moreno, and Kid Cudi. Now, one of his projects in development for the last few years has been given a green light.

Back in 2018, it was announced that the director would be reimagining his 1989 action classic The Killer, which starred Chow Yun-fat as an assassin who accidentally blinds a singer and he goes on one last mission to secure the funds for an operation to restore her sight. While Lupita Nyong’o was attached, she had to drop out due to scheduling issues but now the project has been revived.

In a press release, it’s confirmed Woo will next direct the project, though no casting has been confirmed yet. However, a New York Times profile confirms a 2023 release is scheduled, which means production will get off the ground fairly quickly. “The biggest reason why I wanted to do this movie again because [I wanted] ‘the killer’ to be a woman — that’s exciting to me,” Woo said a few years ago. “It will make the movie have a different look.”
https://thefilmstage.com/john-woo-to...ock-next-year/
Old 05-02-22, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts
Re: The Killer - Remake (2023, D: John Woo)

I'll believe it when I see it, but at the very least maybe this will shake the original free from whatever rights black hole it currently resides in.
Old 05-02-22, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: The Killer - Remake (2023, D: John Woo)

In this era of John Wick et al, when many filmmakers at home and abroad have taken their professed admiration of Woo's once-groundbreaking films (among others) and evolved the art of action cinema to spectacular new heights – while Woo spun his gears to minimal effect in the one film he directed in the last seven years – I can't say I'm overly stoked about this, and less so now that it's direct-to-streaming (though that hardly surprises). But hey, if it keeps the guy working at 76 then more power to him! And if it – maybe – generates enough interest in his work to release his classics from whatever rights purgatory they currently reside in, then all the better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.