Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killer - Remake (2023, D: John Woo)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Killer - Remake (2023, D: John Woo)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: John Woo Producing The Killer remake in 3D!!

Originally Posted by DJariya
Woo's gun play movies are over the top, but they are unique and have made their mark in Hong Kong film history. And they have also influenced alot of American directors in the visual style. Out of all of Woo's American movies, Face/Off came pretty close to capturing the magic of his Hong Kong days IMO.

And for the record, Red Cliff is fricking amazing. The almost 5 hour International Cut is probably one of the best Chinese period war movies in the last decade.
shit yeah it is. It's literally the only film based on events that are now legend...and still feel legendary. It felt like I was watching a legend unfold. THe characters are great, the humor is appropriate, the actions done in the film are just right. I loved it. It feels like you're reading a story about a legend.
Old 01-31-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
shit yeah it is. It's literally the only film based on events that are now legend...and still feel legendary. It felt like I was watching a legend unfold. THe characters are great, the humor is appropriate, the actions done in the film are just right. I loved it. It feels like you're reading a story about a legend.
Legendary, dude.
Old 01-31-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From my OP in the press release:
Old 02-01-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spoken like a true non-fan of Hong Kong cinema.
Guess again. I love Hong Kong cinema. I just don't like John Woo's style of film-making.
Old 02-01-11, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently watched The Killer again and found it a tad bit lame. I used to love it, but it hasn't aged well for me.
Old 02-01-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I recently watched The Killer again and found it a tad bit lame. I used to love it, but it hasn't aged well for me.
Your namesake would slap you.
Old 02-01-11, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I bet you're the kind of guy who would insult someone's rice.
Old 02-01-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Maybe this will help get a better blu ray release?

I just watched this the other day as well and enjoyed it more than I ever had.

But no not looking forward to this as a remake...
Old 02-01-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And for the record, Red Cliff is fricking amazing. The almost 5 hour International Cut is probably one of the best Chinese period war movies in the last decade.
It's one of the best ever.
Old 02-14-11, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett

I bet you're the kind of guy who would insult someone's rice.
Rice just like my father and mother!
Old 02-14-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I had quite a similar reaction. I re-watched both THE KILLER and HARD-BOILED for the September Criterion Challenge on the DVD Talk board. Previously, I had always preferred THE KILLER's focus on the shifting relationship between the two men over the over-the-top absurdity of HARD-BOILED's action scenes. But I had a completely different reaction this time. THE KILLER seemed cliched and timeworn and downright silly at times, while HARD-BOILED was great filmmaking pure and simple--alive, vital, flowing, bursting with cinematic imagination, compelling from start to finish.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-15-11 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-14-11, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even as a kid...I've found HB to be better than The Killer. TK gets a bit hokey at times...especially w/ the HK priest and whatnot..lol. Great action...but the premise hasn't aged well.
Old 10-27-15, 07:58 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Looks like this is still going to happen.

John Woo spent much of the ‘90s and early 2000s directing US hits like Broken Arrow, Face/Off and Mission: Impossible II, before going back to Chinese films with Red Cliff in 2008.

So would he ever consider a return to Hollywood?

“I have never left. I still enjoy working with Hollywood. I still have a couple of projects developing in Hollywood,” the legendary Hong Kong action director told ScreenDaily at the Tokyo International Film Festival (Oct 22-31).

“So after Manhunt, I probably will go back to Hollywood to make another action thriller. I’m going to make The Killer in an American version.”

There has long been talk of an English-language remake of The Killer, the 1989 Hong Kong assassin flick that raised Woo’s profile globally as a director of hard-boiled action films and helped launch his move to Hollywood. At one stage Korean film-maker John H. Lee was slated to direct.

Woo said the Lee project was in development for some time, but was a completely different version of the story. It took time to finance and Lee eventually took on another project during the process.

Woo has strayed from his crime wheelhouse in recent years and into historical epics, such as his latest two-part film The Crossing, based on the sinking of a steamer that went down en route to Taiwan during the Chinese Revolution in 1949.

But Manhunt should recall the hard-boiled action of the director’s earlier years. It will be the second adaptation of the Japanese novel Kimi Yo Fundo No Kawa No Watare by Juko Nishimura.

The 1976 film, directed by Jun’ya Sato, starred Ken Takakura as a prosecutor falsely accused of crimes who goes on the run to clear his name.

“It’s a bit like going back to my own style. It’s a criminal story, with love and guns – and maybe some pigeons,” Woo said with a smile, alluding to a recurring symbol in his films.

Woo said Manhunt would be shot in Japan, with filming likely to begin in late winter. “I’m excited because I always wished to make a movie in Japan,” he said.

“I really wish I can continue to make movies in different countries. This is my dream. It will let me learn more from different people, and cultures. Maybe after this one, the next one, it will be in England, Cambodia, India, whatever.”

Retirement?

Woo was in Tokyo to receive the festival’s Samurai Award, which commends the achievements of film-makers who continue to create groundbreaking films. Japan’s Yoji Yamada was also a recipient of the award this year.

Despite more than 40 years in the director’s chair, Woo shows no signs of slowing down.

“It’s in my blood. I have never thought about retiring. As long as I can still walk, still think, I will continue to make movies.”
http://www.screendaily.com/news/john...&contentID=276
Old 10-27-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Remember how the American trailers called 'The Killer' an "action comedy"?
Old 04-30-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Killer - Remake (2019) S: Lupita Nyong’o -- D: John Woo

http://deadline.com/2018/04/lupita-n...es-1202376846/
John Woo and Universal Pictures are teaming on a new version of his 1989 Hong King crime classic The Killer. It is intended as a star vehicle for Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o. She is negotiating to play the assassin, a role originated by Chow Yun-fat. The studio has the film on a fast track, with Woo directing.

based on an original draft by Cloverfield Lane‘s Josh Campbell and Matt Stuecken, and Brian Helgeland is being brought on to do a production pass. Producing alongside Woo is eOne’s Mark Gordon. Matt Jackson, Lori Tilkin and Luc Etienne are exec producing with Terence Chang. eOne’s Josh Clay Phillips will also have a producing role and is overseeing the project. The aim is to begin production later this year in France and Germany.
to say this is a surprise is an understatement. Also Woo's newest Manhunt drops on Netflix May 4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FMgJ_oprkFA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-30-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: The Killer Remake (2019) S: Lupita Nyong’o -- D: John Woo

Well, I like The Killer, Woo and Nyong'o so I'm down.
Old 04-30-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Nooooooo!
Old 04-30-18, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Nooooooo!
I don't get this reaction. The Killer will still exist. Maybe we'll even get a re-issue of the Criterion version

I loved The Vanishing but hated the US remake. Loved La Femme Nikita, will always love Bridget Fonda and hated Point of No Return. Loved Abre Los Ojos, but was cool to Vanilla Sky.
That doesn't change. If folks want to make an English language adaptation of a great foreign film it probably won't be as good, but I'm willing to give it a try. Best case, it introduces a new generation to a talented filmmaker and a good story. Worst case, it reminds us of how great foreign cinema can be.
Old 04-30-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ and hey, it is Woo directing , and because he cast Lupita as lead, there won't be outrage if he had cast a white male actor
Old 04-30-18, 04:47 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Sounds cool to me.
Old 04-30-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

But will they still be Mickey Mouse and Dumbo?
Old 04-30-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't get this reaction. The Killer will still exist. Maybe we'll even get a re-issue of the Criterion version

I loved The Vanishing but hated the US remake. Loved La Femme Nikita, will always love Bridget Fonda and hated Point of No Return. Loved Abre Los Ojos, but was cool to Vanilla Sky.
That doesn't change. If folks want to make an English language adaptation of a great foreign film it probably won't be as good, but I'm willing to give it a try. Best case, it introduces a new generation to a talented filmmaker and a good story. Worst case, it reminds us of how great foreign cinema can be.
I also adore Spoorloos and Abre Los Ojos, and I just feel that remakes are a blight on great originals. Remaking just smacks of cashing-in and a vacuum of ideas. One can ignore remakes, and I do, but they still hang like albatrosses, weighing down the originals. Sure, Spoorloos will always be an all-time masterpiece, but lurking forever in the background is the remake, with the same director in "slumming it" mode.
The only thing I wish Woo could do is go back in time and completely refashion the last 20 minutes of The Killer, removing all the deadly schmaltz. Then it would be the most perfect action film in cinema history.
Old 04-30-18, 10:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

The Killer is one of favorite foreign films. It’s the same director so who knows. I know I haven’t seen a Woo pic in sometime. I have Red Cliff of something but haven’t gotten around. Very long. I’ll try to checkout this Netflix flick as well...
Old 05-01-18, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Nooooooo!
Just what I was saying.

Originally Posted by Decker

Good point. It's not like it's going to be a sequel. Then the "The Killer will still exist" wouldn't matter because then it's like diluting the canon.

I like foreign remakes.
Vanilla Sky was pretty damn good.
The Departed, excellent.
Old 05-01-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But will they still be Mickey Mouse and Dumbo?
Didn't the Criterion have different nicknames? Numbnuts and Butthead? I seem to remember a version that didn't use the Mickey Mouse and Dumbo nicknames.

As to the remake, I'm on the fence. I'm a big fan of Woo and the original, and don't really see the need for a remake, but I am curious what he can do with the newer filming techniques, and technology. Although a lot of the appeal of those original films was what he was able to accomplish practically without the gimmicks of today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.