Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical: If you could only see ONE MOVIE, would it be AVENGERS 4 or STAR WARS IX

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: AVENGERS 4 or STAR WARS IX?
Avengers 4
68.67%
Star Wars IX
22.89%
Neither
8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Hypothetical: If you could only see ONE MOVIE, would it be AVENGERS 4 or STAR WARS IX

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: Hypothetical: If you could only see ONE MOVIE, would it be AVENGERS 4 or STAR WAR

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
#MakeMineMarvel
Excelsior!

'Nuff said!!

(Well, almost enough - I'd feel bad missing out on the Star Wars movie, but not as bad as I would if I missed out on a Marvel movie!!)
Old 04-29-18, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Hypothetical: If you could only see ONE MOVIE, would it be AVENGERS 4 or STAR WAR

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

I’m completely done with Star Wars.
Same here. But the Marvel movies do nothing for me, so voted neither.
Old 04-29-18, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Avengers 4.

(Star Wars...Fool Me Once, Shame On You--Fool Me Twice, Shame On Me.)
Old 04-29-18, 10:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Star Wars!

I’m experiencing Marvel burnout. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 marked the first Marvel movie I missed in the theater and haven’t seen one theatrically since (I do blind buy the Blu-rays when released, I’m not a monster!)
The only Marvel movie I missed in the theater is Ant-Man, but I stopped buying the Blu-rays some time ago. I think the last Marvel BD I bought was Winter Soldier? Whereas I pre-ordered TLJ on BD the moment it was available. And I never feel the urge to rewatch the Marvel films now. I’ll probably keep Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3 and sell the rest.
Old 04-29-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

After cutting back significantly on home media purchases, the Marvel movies are some of the only ones that are automatic purchases for me since I find them very rewatchable (along with Disney/Pixar). I've bought Last Jedi also, but haven't had the urge to rewatch it yet.

Shit, all I buy are Disney owned movies now
Old 04-29-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy choice...I'm done with Disney's SW.
Old 04-29-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

It’s tough saying it but at this point Avengers 4. All the Marvel films are consistently good to date. Infinity War closes in such a way that I have to see what happens next.

That being said I didn’t hate The Last Jedi and Disney/Rian Johnson haven’t ruined the franchise forever for me like a bunch of others. I wish some things would have been done different and I felt like the ending of that film was a bit less compelling. Whatever is next feels like it’s coming because it was planned as a trilogy but I’m not sure where it’s really going.
Old 04-29-18, 12:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, weird perception. "Now you all love marvel?" doesn't even make sense given all the movies have been well received and the last string of movies in particular have been rated incredibly high, like Civil War, Black Panther, and Thor Ragnarok.
I thought Civil War fucking sucked. Will I like the latest film?
Old 04-29-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Avengers 4 without question and I say that as someone who liked The Last Jedi. I really felt that The Last Jedi was the final chapter for all the OT characters.
Old 04-29-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Huge Star Wars fan, as if you couldn't tell by my username, and I've liked the new trilogy so far, but at this point, I'm way more invested in the MCU. There are also way more quality films in the MCU than there are in the Star Wars saga.
Old 04-29-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Easy call judging by the last two Star Wars films, I've either already seen episode 9 or its a pretty crappy film.
Avengers 4.
Old 04-29-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I thought Civil War fucking sucked. Will I like the latest film?
If you thought Civil War was that bad then superhero movies aren’t for you.
Old 04-29-18, 02:07 PM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The only Marvel movie I missed in the theater is Ant-Man, but I stopped buying the Blu-rays some time ago. I think the last Marvel BD I bought was Winter Soldier? Whereas I pre-ordered TLJ on BD the moment it was available. And I never feel the urge to rewatch the Marvel films now. I’ll probably keep Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3 and sell the rest.
This is pretty much me. I own Avengers 1 and 2, Captain America 2 and 3, Guardians 1 and 2, that's it. Seen the rest a couple times, that's plenty. Didn't see Ant-Man, caught Dr. Strange on Netflix. And I don't watch any of the TV shows.

Anytime is a good time for Star Wars. I love the new movies. The Last Jedi is the first Star Wars "film," I love it. I'm up for seeing them all and owning them all.

For what it's worth, my kids have a tough time between deciding whether to watch Guardians of the Galaxy or Star Wars, if given the choice. Ultimately, if they're in a sillier mood and want to laugh, they'll pick Guardians. Otherwise, it's Star Wars.
Old 04-29-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think one strength of Star Wars is that you can kind of watch each trilogy as a self contained set of three films. You can get a fuller story if you watch the entire saga (especially Episodes I-VI despite not liking the prequels) but people have different reasons why they might not want to.

I feel like with the Marvel films even though that's true with the various Phases that the films overall tie into each other more and are more of a time investment. That's not to say you can't enjoy the films individually but I think there's a fuller experience if you have watched them all or at least most of them. In a way the MCU is like a long running serialized tv show to me only its movies rather than a show.
Old 04-29-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Given with what they did with TLJ and even having not seen Infinity War (yet, seeing it in a couple of hours), easily Avengers 4.
Old 04-29-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

This is interesting because while I've seen all but a few Marvel flicks (IM2-3, Ragnarok & Panther), they have done very little to get me invested in any of these characters. They also lack any kind of cinematic flare/style (the polar opposite of the Snyderverse) and are quite frankly bland. Every character is witty, sarcastic or a wisecracking comedian in their off hours. it's overkill(the worst is Dr. Strange, which was totally out of place). They hold little to no replay value for me. As with all arguments there are exceptions and the Marvel exception is the Guardians. Those two flicks have style, charisma, characters worth caring about and are just plain FUN with the perfect mix of humor. I own both of those and they have all kinds of replay value.

On the Star Wars side of things, it was my world growing up. Like a lot of people, the prequels kind of eroded that love affair(didn't totally kill it like some), so much so, I didn't know what to expect with Force Awakens. It was pretty good, but didn't really re-kindle the magic completely. It was SW, and it was fun, but something was still missing. The Last Jedi on the other hand, was the first SW movie I outright LOVED since ROTJ. Decent characters (save for DJ), a good blance of humor, styistically work and battles from different filmmakers has been a huge plus. Like story said above, it felt more like a "film" set in the SW universe than just another SW movie.

The sequel trilogy has its flaws and could use a bit better character development, but at this point, I am far more interested in seeing where Episode 9 goes than seeing every Marvel character make a wisecrack during every bland fight sequence.
Old 04-29-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm not into Comic Book movies, so I would always go with Star Wars. But I'm not really excited about Episode 9 the same way I was with Return of the Jedi in 1983 and Revenge of the Sith in 2005.
Old 04-29-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Hypothetical: a third Theater is showing Justice League...

...Wait for it...

...Zack Snyder cut.
Old 04-29-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Hypothetical: a third Theater is showing Justice League...

...Wait for it...

...Zack Snyder cut.
I guess I’d need a building’s wall to piss on while I’m waiting in line for Star Wars.
Old 04-29-18, 06:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
CW gets more enjoyable on every viewing. just a great all-around movie. my vote still goes to SW. anything SW basically and i've loved the 2 new ones...
Old 04-29-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

The only thing I really disliked about Civil War was shoehorning Spider-man into the mix. Aside from that it’s a solid entry into the series and is probably in my top 5 Marvel flicks.
Old 04-29-18, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, I'm pretty negative with the MCU, but Civil War is definitely one of the best ones.
Old 04-29-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The only thing I really disliked about Civil War was shoehorning Spider-man into the mix. Aside from that it’s a solid entry into the series and is probably in my top 5 Marvel flicks.
I guess I felt like it worked. Sorta like that they just went for it with incorporating him into the mix after they worked out the deal with Sony. It felt natural and we knew we’d get a solo film afterwards so I didn’t care that he wasn’t set up prior. Plus he was just a small piece of a bigger film and ensemble.
Old 04-30-18, 09:30 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
They really just suck. The first Iron Man was great, but had a bad ending. It’s been downhill from there.

I think my favorite is Big Hero 6.

Last edited by Mabuse; 04-30-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-30-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avengers 4, easily.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.