Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films released by streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) -- Distribution, Awards, etc. Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Films released by streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) -- Distribution, Awards, etc. Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
re: Films released by streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) -- Distribution, Awards, etc. Discussion

Old 03-14-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 610 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: The 91st Academy Awards --> 2019 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by Dan
This is a very interesting concept... something I hope is already being explored by people with actual financing available to them, because goddamn... in the last few days I've thought out almost exactly how this could work, and written down these ideas in far more detail so I don't lose them. The main thing is that it would need a handful of "big names" in film who really "get" the digital-friendly cinephile audience to promote the thing. I can think of one director I saw at TIFF many years ago that might be into it. But one key thing is that the films would each have two 24-hour viewing windows, not unlike how many films get two showings at a real festival. Pricing would be modeled after real fests, but with the necessary tweaking to be more audience-friendly. etc. etc.

Hmm....

HMMMMMMMMMMMM....

If you know anyone with millions of dollars and wants to invest in a US/Canada-wide film fest that is sure to lose money for its first 5 years or so, let me know!
Clearly I'm not the only visionary here!

And I'm in for the Canadian investment. I can cash out my Petro Canada points -- that's, like, $200 right there -- and there's a container of Canadian Tire money at home that's just itching to be waved in Hollywood's face!

In all seriousness, though, there's no doubt in my mind this will happen in some form. I do hope real-world festivals will continue, though, because there really is something cool about enjoying some new film with a like-minded audience in a nearly-full theater, without all the noise and other distractions of mainstream theaters AND home environments alike. And no f'n kids! A 'streamed' film festival would certainly put "eligible" films before a larger audience, albeit for better and for worse since they'd also be subject to that much more trolling b.s. than they currently face on the real-world fest circuit. Could be a blessing and a curse.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-14-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 01:38 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
re: Films released by streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) -- Distribution, Awards, etc. Discussion

How Netflix Exploited Blockbuster Fatigue To Turn Hollywood Into An Underdog

Triple Frontier is a good movie. The J.C. Chandor-directed action melodrama, penned by Mark Boal and starring Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Garret Hedland, Charlie Hunnam and Pedro Pascal, isn’t a new genre classic or a towering artistic achievement. It starts better than it ends, and it seems somewhat unwilling to truly confront the morality of its story (especially after its heroes cross a line of no return), but it’s exactly what it promises. It is a polished, big-budget, star-driven, adult-skewing programmer that, once upon a time, would have been a standard Saturday night at the movies. We’ve talked a lot about how Hollywood doesn’t make movies like this anymore, but up until recently neither did Netflix. Warts and all, the Three Kings meets Treasure of Sierra Madre flick is exactly what was promised to us when Netflix announced its intentions to produce and release original movies.

To be fair, making movies takes time and you can’t necessarily expect an immediate turnaround, nor can you expect a movie studio, any movie studio, to immediately show the fruits of having learned from a given mistake. And that mistake, relatively speaking, was a flurry of Netflix originals that represented either a studio’s cast-offs (The Cloverfield Paradox), misguided would-be blockbusters (Bright), prestige dramas that just didn’t work (War Machine) and would-be hip adaptations (Death Note) that looked and felt like the worst-possible Hollywood version of the source material. For every Roma or Private Life, there were a number of genuinely unsatisfying or outright lousy Netflix originals that, if nothing else, showed the value of a studio development team and occasionally micromanaging executives. I don’t know what happened on Suicide Squad, but after seeing Bright I’m a little less likely to solely blame Warner Bros.

But to the extent that a movie like Triple Frontier or the viral Bird Box (which took over the Internet this past Christmas and may have been seen by as many as 40 million viewers in its first week) represent the future of the Netflix original, well, I am slightly encouraged. The Sandra Bullock post-apocalyptic thriller wasn’t some new horror classic, but it was a well-acted and well-structured high-concept potboiler. It was a “good” movie, one that would have looked at home on a Hollywood multiplex marquee back when a movie star and a high concept was enough to get audiences in the door. Even Triple Frontier isn’t so much the kind of movie that Hollywood doesn’t make anymore but rather the kind of movie audiences no longer pay to see in theaters. Did you see Thirteen Hours or Only the Brave in theaters?

We can debate chicken-and-egg (or horse-and-cart) scenarios, and yes Hollywood bears a big responsibility for convincing audiences that theaters were primarily for the biggest of big tentpoles. However, you can hardly blame a studio system that is attempting to serve moviegoers on a grand theatrical scale and is (unlike Netflix or Hulu) responsible for the financial performance of each respective release for offering movies that represent what audiences want to see. When Sony released Only the Brave (which is a masterpiece, by the way), Roman Israel, Esq., All the Money in the World and The Front Runner to mostly empty theaters, you can’t really blame them for hiring Jason Reitman to do a straight-up Ghostbusters 3. When audiences ignore McFarland, USA, Queen of Katwe, A Wrinkle in Time and Tomorrowland, you can’t blame Disney for tripling-down on superhero movies and live-action remakes of their animated classics.

As much credit as Netflix deserves for offering a deluge of comparatively diverse entertainment options, they play by a different ruleset compared to the studios. Had they snatched up Nate Parker’s Birth of a Nation at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival, they would have gotten credit just for distributing the movie, regardless of the Oscar season controversies and whether anyone would have watched it. When Paramount makes a risky/challenging movie like Jennifer Lawrence's mother!, they get torn to shreds by paying audiences, mocked by the media and mostly ignored by moviegoers. They end up having to defend exactly the kind of movie that would be celebrated just for existing on Netflix while paying customers flock to It. Since we don’t have viewership numbers, we don’t know if Netflix’s #representationmatters projects (like the acclaimed-but-just-canceled One Day At A Time) are actually viewed in any relevant numbers. Since it’s about driving subscriptions, actual viewership is almost irrelevant.

But their motives are not benevolent. Netflix is a giant media company competing against other giant media companies, so (whether they are living off debt to the marketplace with content or playing dirty pool in the Oscar season) it’s not like they have to play by preschool rules. But if Netflix has its way, it will be a glorified one-stop-shop entertainment monopoly. Whether or not they can pull it off (they are still pulling in huge amounts of debt and are clearly valuing quantity over quality), I have little doubt that if they essentially take over the entertainment industry that they’ll be comparatively less diverse or inclusive in their offerings. As we saw with the Fox network and UPN, mainstream success sent those networks on a whiter and more masculine path. Diversity is how Netflix competes, but we have no guarantee that said diversity will continue if Netflix wins.

But the skewed irony of all of this, whether or not Steven Spielberg actually did say anything about blocking Netflix movies from the Oscars, is that the streaming giant, partially by capitalizing on Hollywood’s shortcomings (namely Tinseltown’s obsession with IP-driven, four-quadrant, global-friendly, multi-platform fantasy franchises) has turned Hollywood into a glorified underdog in their own industry. Moreover, Netflix has concurrently positioned themselves as the David to Hollywood’s Goliath even as they play by the kind of rules that Hollywood’s theatrical branches could never get away with. A movie like Bad Time at the El Royale is a win for Netflix just for existing, but its failure as a Fox theatrical movie means that it is indeed a failure no matter how much it represents what we claim Hollywood doesn’t produce anymore. Alas, up until recently, Netflix wasn’t really making those good variations on those movies either.

A few pulpy, three-star genre flicks (plus an Oscar-winning masterpiece that was merely acquired by Netflix for the sole purpose of chasing Oscars) do not a revolution make. But it is a slight bastion of hope, especially if Netflix really is going to represent the future of the narrative feature film (and possibly narrative episodic television). Triple Frontier and Bird Box are exactly what Netflix promised: big-budget, Hollywood-style star-driven, adult-skewing genre flicks that, because or despite a general lack of executive interference, turned out about as good as they might have been if funneled through the studio system. If Netflix really wants to be the place for mid-budget, old-school “movies-movies,” then the average Netflix original needs to be a lot better than it is right now. Now let’s just hope that Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman is at least as good as Todd Phillips’ Joker.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#1f089f2e437c
Old 03-14-19, 02:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: The 91st Academy Awards --> 2019 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by Brian T
Clearly I'm not the only visionary here!

And I'm in for the Canadian investment. I can cash out my Petro Canada points -- that's, like, $200 right there -- and there's a container of Canadian Tire money at home that's just itching to be waved in Hollywood's face!
My brother once had enough Canadian Tire money to buy one of those big tool cabinets for his garage. Think about how many 5-cent and 10-cent bills he had.. the cashier was angry!

In all seriousness, though, there's no doubt in my mind this will happen in some form. I do hope real-world festivals will continue, though, because there really is something cool about enjoying some new film with a like-minded audience in a nearly-full theater, without all the noise and other distractions of mainstream theaters AND home environments alike. And no f'n kids! A 'streamed' film festival would certainly put "eligible" films before a larger audience, albeit for better and for worse since they'd also be subject to that much more trolling b.s. than they currently face on the real-world fest circuit. Could be a blessing and a curse.
Yup, I agree with everything you've said. There's definitely something special about the atmosphere of a festival that most festival-goers appreciate, while at the same time, I think there's a good number of people who could take or leave that aspect and just want to see the films. In addition to (or in place of) the digital festival idea, a coordinated multi-city film fest is another alternative. Like those Fathom Events screenings, but... bigger... better... fest-ier. This is another thing I've thought way too much about.
Old 04-02-19, 01:52 PM

Justice Department Warns Academy Over Potential Oscar Rule Changes Threatening Netflix (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/politics/ne...ix-1203178413/
Old 04-02-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Justice Department Warns Academy Over Potential Oscar Rule Changes Threatening Netflix (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/politics/ne...ix-1203178413/
Don't get me started on this particular Justice Department, but I will just say rules requiring a 30 day window between theatrical release in LA and NY and arrival on streaming services in no way violate any antitrust legislation. I assume this was just a preventative thing so the Academy can't prohibit Netflix movies from being eligible under any circumstances (which was NEVER the actual consideration).
Old 04-02-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure of the Government's motivations here, but I know there is a LOT of hostility at the studios towards the quality of product from NF.
Reel-to-reel NF has put out MORE good material than any single studio in Hollywood during the last few years.
Old 04-09-19, 11:25 AM

Netflix In Talks To Acquire Hollywood’s Historic Egyptian Theatre From American Cinematheque:
https://deadline.com/2019/04/egyptia...ue-1202591851/
Old 04-09-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

That'd be perfect on multiple levels.
Old 09-27-19, 09:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Films released by streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) -- Distribution, Awards, etc. Discussion

Just got back from Fantastic Fest in Austin and a not-insignificant number of films are set for distribution by streaming services. Pulled from a list elsewhere:

BLOOD MACHINES, Shudder, streaming on Shudder on a date TBD
THE CLEANSING HOUR, Shudder, streaming on Shudder at some point in 2020
DOLEMITE IS MY NAME, Netflix, theatrical release on 10/04/19 and streaming on 10/25/19
FRACTURED, Netflix, 10/11/19
I LOST MY BODY, Netflix, theatrical release on 11/15/19, on Netflix on 11/29/19
IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, Netflix, 09/27/19
IN THE TALL GRASS, Netflix, 10/04/19
THE PLATFORM, Netflix, release date not announced
THE VAST OF NIGHT, Amazon Studios, some kind of release expected in 2020

Netflix was one of the major sponsors of the festival this year, so it's not surprising they'd have so many... and most of them drew in pretty big audiences. I was initially planning to see Fractured, ITSOTM, and In The Tall Grass, but opted out of all three knowing that I could just stream them as early as today (ITSOTM) or within the next couple weeks.

Of all the above films, I did see Blood Machines (ehhhh...), I lost My Body (VERY good), The Platform (fantastic, if heavy on the allegory), and The Vast of Night (LOVED it, but it won't be for everyone).
Old 09-27-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 610 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Films released by streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) -- Distribution, Awards, etc. Discussion

Netflix was all over TIFF this year as well. Although they weren't attached to most of the films I saw, they might as well have been.

I'll admit my stance has softened somewhat since I started this thread, mainly because in reviewing 20 years of TIFF attendance in advance of this year's festival, I realized that MOST of the films I attended ultimately debuted in North America on DVD/Blu-ray with only limited theatrical runs, if any. Some never turned up on this continent at all! This stood to reason as I tend to seek out smaller, offbeat indie and foreign films at TIFF, but I still have to question the value of $30-a-ticket film festivals just to watch movies that will be available to all and sundry in short order for their ten bucks a month. That's where I keep drifting back to the "online film festival" concept discussed earlier in this thread.

To Dan's list above, I'd add the extremely compelling Japanese film 37 SECONDS, which already had the Netflix tag on it and will debut in February, although I'm not sure in which regions.

I also saw THE VAST OF NIGHT and THE PLATFORM at TIFF, both of which are indeed excellent, but definitely lacking wide theatrical prospects, so a streamer makes perfect sense in this day and age. Mind you, I'd love a Blu-ray SE for that one!

Last edited by Brian T; 09-27-19 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-25-19, 04:56 PM

Netflix has announced that it will keep the New York City’s Paris Theater open through a lease agreement.

The venue, one of the oldest art movie houses in the United States and the last single-screen theater in New York, was shuttered earlier this year. It was re-opened earlier this month for a run of “Marriage Story” by New York filmmaker Noah Baumbach.

Netflix announced Monday a lease agreement to keep the theater open. The streaming giant said it plans to use the theater for special events, screenings and theatrical releases of its films. Terms of the lease were not disclosed.

“After 71 years, the Paris Theatre has an enduring legacy, and remains the destination for a one-of-a kind movie-going experience,” said Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s chief content officer. “We are incredibly proud to preserve this historic New York institution so it can continue to be a cinematic home for film lovers.”

The Paris is Netflix’s second venture into exhibition. The company has been in talks since April to buy the historic Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood from American Cinematheque in what would be the first movie theater acquisition for the streaming giant.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/n...X7e2NmtTT38Jsw
Old 11-25-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

My first trip to the Paris Theater was to see OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR 50 years ago. I've been there many times since. I'm glad they're keeping it open. When they play something I want to see, I will go.
Old 11-27-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

They have lined up West/East coast markets to have their awards releases fulfilled.
Old 03-25-20, 12:07 PM

Well, Dan and Brian... you must be excited to see that numerous festivals are going the digital route. Under less than desirable circumstances, of course. But it would be interesting to see if a digital option is offered in future years.
https://ew.com/movies/film-festivals...s-tcm-classic/

Last edited by dex14; 03-25-20 at 12:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (03-25-20)
Old 03-25-20, 12:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. I really do hope it works favorably for those involved. I think we'll see that each fest will handle it differently, and they'll learn from each others' pros and cons. I'll have to keep a closer eye on how these things progress.
and you're right... The circumstances suck. But maybe that's what was needed to foster some creativity in the business model.
Old 04-02-20, 03:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Oh hey look...
Virtual SXSW is going to be a real thing:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...GsBv3iF3dpSidE

The films will stream for free on the platform over 10 days, likely in late April.South by Southwest 2020 will see the light of day after all, albeit online rather than on the ground in Austin, Texas.

Amazon Prime Video is teaming with the festival to launch a so-called film festival collection. Filmmakers who had been scheduled to screen films at the fest were notified this morning and will be able to opt in. Some, who already have distribution with an Amazon rival, will likely choose to forgo the virtual festival. Those who opt in will see their films play exclusively on Prime Video in the U.S. for the 10-day virtual fest, which Amazon will likely launch in late April.

The online event will be available in front of the Prime Video paywall and free to U.S. audiences.

Filmmakers who choose to participate in the virtual festival will receive a screening fee. The setup does not mean that Amazon has acquired the films. Those looking for distribution will still have that option.
I hope you have a workaround, Brian T.
Old 04-02-20, 04:12 PM

What is 'in front of a Video Paywall'?

Does that mean Free if you have Amazon Prime? Or free even if you don't have Prime?
Old 04-02-20, 04:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Free even if you don't have Amazon Prime. Their twitter feed clarified that bit.

Old 04-02-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Shit, looks like I'll need to get a good VPN up and running to watch this.
Old 04-02-20, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
Shit, looks like I'll need to get a good VPN up and running to watch this.
www.nordvpn.com

Can't recommend them highly enough. They've been a lifesaver both for my Dodgers watching and my daughter's HBO and Netflix streaming back in Italy.
Old 04-02-20, 04:56 PM

I’m really loving this push for digital means in certain areas.

All these indie theatres using the virtual cinema platform. They should continue to partner with distributors (and streaming platforms) to do this when things get back to normal. It is a great way to get additional revenue.
Old 04-03-20, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
www.nordvpn.com

Can't recommend them highly enough. They've been a lifesaver both for my Dodgers watching and my daughter's HBO and Netflix streaming back in Italy.
Thanks for the recommendation, that one has been one of the frontrunners for me, I've heard good things about it.

Old 04-03-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
www.nordvpn.com

I use Nord and like it. I can’t get Netflix to work when running it though. Netflix says it’s a no-no. Any pointers Decker?