Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films released by streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) -- Distribution, Awards, etc. Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Films released by streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) -- Distribution, Awards, etc. Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: The 91st Academy Awards --> 2019 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by Decker
For almost 70 years their biggest fear is TV making them obsolete and they've hung around making movies to be seen in a theater. No reason to drop that now.
This is the best point made in this whole Spielberg-inspired discussion. Embarrassingly, I forgot the history of the Academy Awards and what they are intended to promote--maintaining a theatre-going audience.

Of course they would only want to recognize theatrically released movies. Nothing wrong with them doing that.

I take back pretty much everything I've said. If the purpose of the Academy Awards is to booster theatre attendance, then there is nothing wrong with them excluding non-theatrical films. They don't have to be an all-purpose awards show. They can make whatever rules they want.
Old 03-05-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Glad you see the light. And I didn't even have to make a Tribute to The Movies montage like the Academy tends to do.
Old 03-05-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I think this is less about big screen vs small screen than about controlling means of distribution. With 35 mm cans, studios had complete control on who would see what when and there wasn't squat anyone could do about it. Then digital cameras arrived and "democratized" the process a little, giving studios less control. And now you have competition from streaming services.

This article has it right IMHO:

Steven Spielberg Has Picked The Wrong Way To Argue Against Netflix
You can accuse Netflix of just trying sell subscriptions without really caring who or what they're pushing, but how is that any different from what the more traditional growth- and gross-focused movies studios have done before?

The answer is scale, and like a T-Rex threatening to topple the puny Jeep you're trapped in, Netflix's scale has Spielberg and plenty of other filmmakers freaked out.
... Spielberg is likely looking on in dolly zoom-worthy horror at the big picture. As with Amazon's expansion into physical retail, Netflix or any other streaming service can only grow and conquer so much about filmmaking and distribution before it starts trying to own the process on every single front, up to and including movie theaters themselves.
Steven Spielberg Has Picked The Wrong Way To Argue Against Netflix - Digg
That last bit sounds a tad hyperbolic but overall, there's a bigger battle going on here than "big vs small screen".
Old 03-05-19, 06:15 PM

That article is so dumb. Not once addressing the concerns, it is just an excuse to bash Spielberg's films and use Spielberg metaphors in the process. Pointing to Duel as "hypocrisy" is idiotic because of course nobody tried to get Duel into the Oscars in the first place.
Then again, far more prestigeous places have gotten the story wrong. CBS News has a headline that says
Steven Spielberg wants Netflix barred from Oscars contention
but then in the bullet points states :
  • Steven Spielberg contends that films debuting on streaming services shouldn't be eligible for Oscars
  • That has sparked a debate pitting newcomers like Netflix against Hollywood's old guard
  • At least some observers think Spielberg's battle has already been lost as streaming becomes mainstream
which is, of course not at all the same thing as wanting Netflix barred from Oscar contention. He wants movies to debut in a movie theater before coming to Netflix. He never said that Netflix-sponsored movies shouldn't be competing for Oscars, he just wants an exclusive window for theaters. Of course Netflix's reply Tweet just confirms what we already knew -- that they like putting out their movies Day & Date with their streaming release. As I said, they want to have their cake and eat it too. Nothing more than that.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If that's what's most important to them, fine. But if they think they're making theatrical movies and not TV movies, if want an Oscar, they should be okay with releasing their movies in theaters first.
Old 03-05-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure what's dumb about an article (and the only one I've read) which correctly points out that there are far bigger issues at play here than just Spielberg's "concerns". Something about a nose, a tree and a forest.
Old 03-05-19, 07:41 PM

I think this Variety article is much better and more balanced.
https://variety.com/2019/film/awards...ix-1203155528/

It's a little hard to say for sure how outlandish Spielberg's demands are because they haven't been clarified yet. The main take-away is that there needs to be more clear rules about what will be eligible and what won't. The times are changing and the Academy must adapt. I do agree with De Vray that this is a process that all Academy members should be involved with, not just the Board of Governors.
Old 03-06-19, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

So Spielberg is essentially saying that a movie can't stand on it's own as a piece of art. That's nonsense.
If the medium is that big a part of the art, he also need to advocate for strict and specific demands to the quality of the theater-going experience. No matter the theater and location.
Old 03-06-19, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
So Spielberg is essentially saying that a movie can't stand on it's own as a piece of art. That's nonsense.
No, he's not. You're projecting?
Old 03-06-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

From The ONION

Steven Spielberg Criticizes Netflix For Ruining Golden Age Of Pandering Big-Budget Corporate Films

LOS ANGELES—Arguing that the streaming service has severely hamstrung the ability of directors to create saccharine, artistically meritless garbage, Steven Spielberg criticized Netflix Tuesday for ruining the golden age of pandering big-budget films produced by media conglomerates. “We were living in a wonderful era of insipid franchise-driven blockbusters when, suddenly, Netflix comes along and screws everything up by giving a platform to underrepresented directors and helping connect audiences across the globe to risk-taking, idiosyncratic films that would never be made by a major studio,” said the director of Ready Player One and Jurassic Park, blasting the streaming service for sabotaging the halcyon days of lowest-common-denominator cinema that gave viewers absolutely no credit and merely indulged their basest instincts. “They should be ashamed. They’ve single-handedly put an end to dull, inoffensive films that privilege melodrama and spectacle over substance, not to mention the fact that they’ve eroded the influence of executives who only care about producing movies that make as much money as possible. There were so many great artists, myself included, who sold out decades ago and, as a result, no longer have the ability to make a movie as resonant as, say, Roma. What will happen to us?” At press time, Steven Spielberg quickly retracted all of his comments and began praising Netflix after the company offered him a multimillion-dollar, two-picture deal.
Old 03-06-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dang, I came here to post that Onion article.
Old 03-06-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

It's funny because it's true.
Old 03-07-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's also funny because I thought that another article, which has a completely opposite view, was also an Onion article. Unfortunately, the guy is serious, and then I googled 'Armond White' and I understood.

Spielberg Recovers His Political Courage

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...tical-courage/
Old 03-07-19, 05:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Armond White is writing for National Review now?
Old 03-08-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Remember when Armond White lost his job for being an overall shithole, and complained that it was because of "racism"?
Old 03-08-19, 11:55 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

No I don’t. When did that happen?

I do remember when he wasn’t a nut. He used to be a pretty good critic.
Old 03-08-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

While I am a Netflix subscriber and I hate going to the movie theater, I feel if they want to be involved in the Oscar race there should be some kind of release window first. Obviously some of these films are of higher quality, but it just comes off as direct to dvd trash. I realize streaming is the wave of the future (present), but I can’t help but be bummed out when I read that Netflix threw their money around and got a Scorsese or Coen brothers film. A high caliber film should be given the opportunity to be seen in a theater where it deserves to be.
Old 03-08-19, 08:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

From my understanding Scorsese is pushing hard for theatrical for The Irishmen.

And stuff like Roma and Buster Scruggs did get theatrical releases, just not anything wide. And no offense, but I would not have gone to see either in a theater, and would have waited for home video/streaming.
Old 03-10-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack

And stuff like Roma and Buster Scruggs did get theatrical releases, just not anything wide. And no offense, but I would not have gone to see either in a theater, and would have waited for home video/streaming.
That’s the problem. There’s a big piece of me that thinks these movies should have a theatrical release but the hypocrite in me probably wouldn’t bother seeing a movie in the theater knowing that it’ll be steaming in a month or so.
Old 03-11-19, 07:47 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

That’s the problem. There’s a big piece of me that thinks these movies should have a theatrical release but the hypocrite in me probably wouldn’t bother seeing a movie in the theater knowing that it’ll be steaming in a month or so.
The last line by Greengrass...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1ToOw-nsqAE?start=125" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I moved this discussion to an existing thread that previously had comments from Spielberg.

Last edited by dex14; 03-11-19 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Originally Posted by dex14
I moved this discussion to an existing thread that previously had comments from Spielberg.
I wonder if this thread about Amazon bulk-buying at film festivals is likewise relevant to this current discussion, since it seems very likely that festivals might eventually be disrupted by streaming as much as theatrical exhibition. Much as I moaned in that thread, it's hard not to imagine a day when filmmakers will probably just submit their in-progress or finished films direct to Netflix, Amazon, et al knowing that that's where they would've ended up anyway, thereby avoiding the pretense (and pretention) of the fest circuit and its "tastemaker" programmers altogether. I'd imagine seeing the equivalent of a Cannes or TIFF or Sundance for a far lower price from the comfort of home -- perhaps for a specified time window for the sake of "competition"? -- would undoubtedly attract more eyeballs than the real-world events, and provide instant wide exposure to just the kinds of films folks here are saying they probably wouldn't have paid to see theatrically anyway. Mind you, the thought of that happening in one place still rankles a bit.
Old 03-11-19, 11:02 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I wonder if this thread about Amazon bulk-buying at film festivals is likewise relevant to this current discussion, since it seems very likely that festivals might eventually be disrupted by streaming as much as theatrical exhibition. Much as I moaned in that thread, it's hard not to imagine a day when filmmakers will probably just submit their in-progress or finished films direct to Netflix, Amazon, et al knowing that that's where they would've ended up anyway, thereby avoiding the pretense (and pretention) of the fest circuit and its "tastemaker" programmers altogether. I'd imagine seeing the equivalent of a Cannes or TIFF or Sundance for a far lower price from the comfort of home -- perhaps for a specified time window for the sake of "competition"? -- would undoubtedly attract more eyeballs than the real-world events, and provide instant wide exposure to just the kinds of films folks here are saying they probably wouldn't have paid to see theatrically anyway. Mind you, the thought of that happening in one place still rankles a bit.
Yea that's relevant. Now someone come up with a catchier title.
Old 03-13-19, 11:21 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian T
I'd imagine seeing the equivalent of a Cannes or TIFF or Sundance for a far lower price from the comfort of home -- perhaps for a specified time window for the sake of "competition"? -- would undoubtedly attract more eyeballs than the real-world events, and provide instant wide exposure to just the kinds of films folks here are saying they probably wouldn't have paid to see theatrically anyway. Mind you, the thought of that happening in one place still rankles a bit.
This is a very interesting concept... something I hope is already being explored by people with actual financing available to them, because goddamn... in the last few days I've thought out almost exactly how this could work, and written down these ideas in far more detail so I don't lose them. The main thing is that it would need a handful of "big names" in film who really "get" the digital-friendly cinephile audience to promote the thing. I can think of one director I saw at TIFF many years ago that might be into it. But one key thing is that the films would each have two 24-hour viewing windows, not unlike how many films get two showings at a real festival. Pricing would be modeled after real fests, but with the necessary tweaking to be more audience-friendly. etc. etc.

Hmm....

HMMMMMMMMMMMM....

If you know anyone with millions of dollars and wants to invest in a US/Canada-wide film fest that is sure to lose money for its first 5 years or so, let me know!
Old 03-13-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
If you know anyone with millions of dollars and wants to invest in a US/Canada-wide film fest that is sure to lose money for its first 5 years or so, let me know!
I DID have s few million but had to make sure my kids got into a good college.
Old 03-13-19, 05:08 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
re: Films released by streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) -- Distribution, Awards, etc. Discussion

Old 03-13-19, 09:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I DID have s few million but had to make sure my kids got into a good college.
Dude! What did I tell you!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.