Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 04-27-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Loved it. So basically, only the "core" Avengers survived in the end, right (not knowing what happened with Clint, obviously)? Plus Nebula and Rocket.

Strange lived right? My wife and I were having a debate last night. She said he faded away too. I remember just cutting from him after he said "it was the only way".
War Machine survived, Strange disappeared. I'm willing to bet that Clint shows up in A4, most or all of his family gone, pissed. Thor then uses Stormbreaker to summon Bifrost and go to Titan to grab Tony and Nebula, the band is back together! War Machine is still around so that he can hand his armor over to Tony (I'm assuming the nanotech armor was damaged enough to render it useless).

Again, all is going exactly as Strange saw in his one successful time scan. It is the only explanation for why he would hand over the Time Gem, after all the emphasis to Tony earlier about how he would sacrifice EVERYTHING to protect the Time Gem. He had to know that it was the only to eventual success.
Old 04-27-18, 04:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

The team up fight when they got Thanos subdued and almost got the gauntlet off was awesome. But damn...I know he just found out that his love was killed but I was PISSED OFF at "Mr. Lord" for screwing it all up.
Old 04-27-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea, Strange knew their as only one way to defeat him. Remember what Hawkeye said during the big Civil War fight? "As much as I hate to admit it, if we're gonna win this one, some of us might have to lose it." Same concept.
Old 04-27-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

THR spoke to Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, the duo who wrote both Infinity War and Avengers 4, about the collaborative nature on the two films. But, when the conversation shifted to the pair’s futures (specifically within the MCU), they made a huge statement: Avengers 4 is going to be bigger and better than what they just put out:

McFeely: If it is, we’re pretty happy with it. Because boy, Avengers 4, if anything, is better than what you just saw.

Markus: And bigger.
Old 04-27-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Mind officially blown because 3 was pretty damn huge!
Old 04-27-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know where to begin, but I'm glad I was there for how it ended! The crowd I saw it with made my screening all the better. We all cheered at the same time, clapped and gasped at the exact same things. It's been a while since I've experienced that in a movie. I know "Superhero fatigue" is a term being thrown around lately, but I simply don't feel that way about the MCU. It took them ten years to get here, and DC tried to race to the finish line. It's not how fast you get to the finish line, but how you get to the finish line. Bring on Ant-Man and Wasp!!
Old 04-27-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it for the second time. Still loved it and appreciated the banter a little bit more. It's interesting that it was mostly all phase 1 people that survived. Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, War Machine, Hulk, Black Widow. Well, I guess not Fury and Maria Hill
Old 04-27-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Super hero fatigue is something the haters are throwing around or sites are using for click bait headlines. For the fans of the genre this is the true golden age.

In 2016, there were 736 films released in US cinemas; twice the number in 2000.

From 1950-1959 there were 685 western movies released, the popular genre of the time. This was mentioned on Twitter today, so I looked up the numbers.

But yeah, so many super hero movies are out there

Last edited by stingermck; 04-27-18 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-27-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by zero
I don't know where to begin, but I'm glad I was there for how it ended! The crowd I saw it with made my screening all the better. We all cheered at the same time, clapped and gasped at the exact same things. It's been a while since I've experienced that in a movie. I know "Superhero fatigue" is a term being thrown around lately, but I simply don't feel that way about the MCU. It took them ten years to get here, and DC tried to race to the finish line. It's not how fast you get to the finish line, but how you get to the finish line. Bring on Ant-Man and Wasp!!
I had a lot of cheering and clapping at the IMAX showing I went to. Lots of cheers for when the females were fighting (“girl power!”) and when Thor showed up in Wakanda.
Old 04-27-18, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Yea, Strange knew their as only one way to defeat him. Remember what Hawkeye said during the big Civil War fight? "As much as I hate to admit it, if we're gonna win this one, some of us might have to lose it." Same concept.
Not quite the same thing. Hawkeye was accepting the magnitude of the challenge ahead of them. Strange has fast forwarded through Infinity War and Avengers 4, he knows exactly what course of events will lead them to victory over Thanos. It is like the difference between someone saying "We're going to have a break a few eggs to make breakfast this morning" because they figure eggs will be needed (and they are most likely correct) and someone who knows exactly what will be served and exactly how everything was prepared.
Old 04-27-18, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I had a lot of cheering and clapping at the IMAX showing I went to. Lots of cheers for when the females were fighting (“girl power!”) and when Thor showed up in Wakanda.
One thing I noticed was the stunned silence when the credits started to roll, and nobody moved. Then, at the point where the mid-credits scene would appear, nothing, and you could feel the dread in the theatre, the audience needed something hopeful before they left. Very strategic use of that post-credits scene to make the audience wait.
Old 04-27-18, 07:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. Definitely at least upper third of the Marvel films for me, but not up to Winter Soldier or Black Panther quality.
Old 04-27-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
One thing I noticed was the stunned silence when the credits started to roll, and nobody moved. Then, at the point where the mid-credits scene would appear, nothing, and you could feel the dread in the theatre, the audience needed something hopeful before they left. Very strategic use of that post-credits scene to make the audience wait.
same at my 7pm IMAX screening. Pretty much a small applause, then stunned silence, & questions of 'did i see what i think i saw' And a big applause at the big reveal. (& some booed the "Thanos will return in Avengers 4" tag)

& yes i loved it. Some stuff hits pretty hard, especially when the last few movies have been pretty light and comedic in tone.
Old 04-27-18, 07:27 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

I think that was pretty universal.
Old 04-27-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Okay guys, just back from seeing it. I'm admittedly not a comic book guy and I tend to avoid comic book movies because, frankly, there are 20-30 of them released every week (maybe I'm exaggerating) and I know the theaters will be full of cell phone using knuckleheads.

But I've got Moviepass and figured a 4:30 showing wouldnt be that bad. I was right, but because I don't know squat about the Marvelverse it was difficult to figure out who everybody was when about half of the Marvelous Superduperhero Team characters that were thrown at me never got introduced. No real name, no comic book name.... we were just supposed to know and care who they were. So, who the heck were these:

#1 - One-armed Wolverine-looking dude who had a magic machine gun that never (apparently) ran out of bullets? First showed up during the closing credits of Black Panther. "Hairy Monoarmed Ammoman"?

#2 - Red-headed chick who shoots red fire/lightning/plasma stuff from her hands and who lives in Scotland with some android with a yellow stone stuck in his forehead? "Red Mechamanlovergirl"?

#3 - Blonde chick who hangs out with some guy named "Captain Steve". She wears a lot of leather and showed off her butt to the camera an awful lot. No apparent superpowers I could discern but can jump and kick and punch pretty well. "Whitey Junkatrunk Woman"?

#4 - Black dude, looks like Don Cheadle (hell, maybe it was Don't Cheadle) who has his own Iron Man suit but with US Air Force logos slapped on it? "Iron Liftmaster Patriot 5000"?

Let's start with these. There are many many more.
Old 04-27-18, 07:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep, you nailed them all. That's who they are.
Old 04-27-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Oh, and some cool semi-resolution with Red Skull. That was pretty awesome. He looked great. I thought it was Death for a minute there.
So how exactly did Red Skull end up there?
Old 04-27-18, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bahgee
So how exactly did Red Skull end up there?
The tesseract sent him there in The First Avenger.
Old 04-27-18, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Okay guys, just back from seeing it. I'm admittedly not a comic book guy and I tend to avoid comic book movies because, frankly, there are 20-30 of them released every week (maybe I'm exaggerating) and I know the theaters will be full of cell phone using knuckleheads.

But I've got Moviepass and figured a 4:30 showing wouldnt be that bad. I was right, but because I don't know squat about the Marvelverse it was difficult to figure out who everybody was when about half of the Marvelous Superduperhero Team characters that were thrown at me never got introduced. No real name, no comic book name.... we were just supposed to know and care who they were. So, who the heck were these:

#1 - One-armed Wolverine-looking dude who had a magic machine gun that never (apparently) ran out of bullets? First showed up during the closing credits of Black Panther. "Hairy Monoarmed Ammoman"?

#2 - Red-headed chick who shoots red fire/lightning/plasma stuff from her hands and who lives in Scotland with some android with a yellow stone stuck in his forehead? "Red Mechamanlovergirl"?

#3 - Blonde chick who hangs out with some guy named "Captain Steve". She wears a lot of leather and showed off her butt to the camera an awful lot. No apparent superpowers I could discern but can jump and kick and punch pretty well. "Whitey Junkatrunk Woman"?

#4 - Black dude, looks like Don Cheadle (hell, maybe it was Don't Cheadle) who has his own Iron Man suit but with US Air Force logos slapped on it? "Iron Liftmaster Patriot 5000"?

Is this a joke? Fail.
Old 04-27-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle

Thanos's motivation for killing half the universe made way more sense than in the graphic novel. And they got the look and feel of him just perfect. This is what Apocalypse should have been.
What was his motivation in the GN?
Old 04-27-18, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Loved it.

Doctor Strange pretty much told us he set things in motion for the 1 option that works out in the end. Will be interesting to see that play out.

It was like a funeral procession leaving our theater tonight, most people were just stunned.
Old 04-27-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenbuzz

This is just a truly awful attempt at humor. If this was any worse Adam Sandler and Netflix would sign you to a ten picture deal.
Old 04-27-18, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
And speaking of characters that didn't show up, are the Nova Corps dead? Is the new Valkyrie dead? Are Korg and Mink dead? I was expecting to see Tessa Thompson in this film. Maybe she'll join Lady Sif in the next film too.
I couldn't tell, but the transmissions in the beginning supposedly indicated there were people who either were not on board or got away before Thanos struck. Presumably Valkyrie, Korg, and Miek were not on board.

Nova Corps -- it was said that Thanos destroyed Xandar to get one of the stones.
Old 04-27-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Interesting that they didn't have Weaving do it this time. If I remember correctly, he didn't seem to keen to do it again, even though he was under contract.

This time it was Aaron from The Walking Dead playing him.
I didn't think that sounded like Weaving, but I didn't know that. This may be a dumb question, but ... why/how did the Tesseract send him there?
Old 04-27-18, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Again, all is going exactly as Strange saw in his one successful time scan. It is the only explanation for why he would hand over the Time Gem, after all the emphasis to Tony earlier about how he would sacrifice EVERYTHING to protect the Time Gem. He had to know that it was the only to eventual success.
All of that and then he confirmed it to Tony. Right before he disappeared, he said to Tony "It was the only way".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.