Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 04-26-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by raven56706
at the very end
To be more specific...
Spoiler:
Nick Fury and Maria Hill are shown at the beginning of the wipeout event. Maria Hill crumbles to dust. Fury makes a beeline for some pager-like device he has in their vehicle as people crumble around him. Fury starts to crumble, not quite finishing "Mother F..." as he disintegrates. The pager-like device falls to the ground, the camera zooms in on it, and it says something like "Dialing..." or "Sending..." before transitioning to the Captain Marvel chest insignia and red and blue background.

This movie was good. I gave it a 4 based on the first half, so well written, switching tone and atmosphere between Strange, Stark, Spider-Man, Guardians, Asgardians, and Thanos. Funny, powerful, foreshadowing doom and gloom.

Second half was good, but a bit too methodical and predictable. Undoubtedly
Spoiler:
the events we saw are the exact events Dr. Strange saw in the one future in which Thanos was defeated.
Dinklage was great. The lack of a full team battle was refreshing, it made sense, I'm sure we'll see that in the next movie. Definitely top half of the MCU movies, not sure it is top 5 material. Loved Rubberband Man.
Old 04-26-18, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I was floored by the ending until
Spoiler:
I thought about killing off the main characters from three brand new franchises. Strange/Black Panther/Spiderman. Fairly obvious that gets rectified in A4.

An outstanding movie though, and finally Marvel does a major villain justice.
Old 04-26-18, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I was floored by the ending until
Spoiler:
I thought about killing off the main characters from three brand new franchises. Strange/Black Panther/Spiderman. Fairly obvious that gets rectified in A4.

An outstanding movie though, and finally Marvel does a major villain justice.
Agreed with all of the above. It would've been more impactful/believable if
Spoiler:
old, potentially retireable heroes like Cap, Iron Man, and Thor had been killed.
Old 04-26-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny79
Agreed with all of the above. It would've been more impactful/believable if
Spoiler:
old, potentially retireable heroes like Cap, Iron Man, and Thor had been killed.
It would be far more impactful killing off Cap and/or Stark in Avengers 4 as it is the final Avengers film about the original members.
Old 04-27-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Clearly someone in the Infinity War marketing team mixed up what Shuri does in Infinity War with what she does in Black Panther.

Old 04-27-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 953 Posts

Just got back and it was entertaining as a motherfucker. I will say that the opening of the film was rather clunky, because it threw you (literally) right in to after Ragnarok -- minus the actual set-up. Once hulk got his ass kicked by Thanos then it was smooth sailing.

I did not understand the text message that Fury sent at the end credit scene and neither did 2/3rd's of the crowd at my sold out show.

And I sort of called how it was going to end. I thought there would be a smash cut to black and end credits.

*Oh, and this is the spoiler filled thread -- I am not putting anything in spoilers, so fuck off you don't like it.
Old 04-27-18, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
That was the greatest spectacle in a movie I've ever seen. The ending sucked all the air out of the theater, people just couldn't believe it.
A few audible WTFs (Full version) were heard in my theater. Really loved the movie a lot, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this doesn’t get as much repeat viewings (Traumatized kiddies?) thanks to that downer of a cliffhanger.

Still though, lots of geektastic-orgasmic moments all throughout which easily puts INFINITY WAR at the pinnacle of the absolute best when it comes to comic book/superhero movies....And to have it end like an Antonioni film? Kudos I guess?
Old 04-27-18, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I did not understand the text message that Fury sent at the end credit scene and neither did 2/3rd's of the crowd
Do you expect us to believe you went around asking 2/3rd of your sold out show if they understood a rather easy to understand setup for Captain Marvel?
Old 04-27-18, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Do you expect us to believe you went around asking 2/3rd of your sold out show if they understood a rather easy to understand setup for Captain Marvel?

Looks like my crowd was filled with more regular folk than non-nerds. A small group of nerds squealed, because they obviously got it, and the rest of the hall was like, "what?" Including me.
Old 04-27-18, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Loved it. After being let down a bit by Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther, I thought this one might follow suit and crumble under the weight of my expectations but I thought they nailed it. So many great hero moments (Cap in the shadows, Thor's return at the end), trademark Marvel humor (Star Lord imitating Thor), and I felt like I truly had no idea what was coming next and how Thanos' search for the stones or the ending was going to unfold.

I do agree that the "killing off" of heroes that you already know are coming back for sequels was strange, and I truly expected one of the major heroes to die in battle, especially Tony or Cap. I'm ok with it not happening here, because I do believe something will happen in Avengers 4. I have to say though, Spider-Man's last words to Stark really tugged at the heart strings even though we all know he'll be back in more movies. That said, Loki's death still stung and they did a FAR better job with the Thanos character's motivations, as well as his relationship with Gamora, then I expected. Thanos was an excellent villain, and his search for "balance" was so much better then courting death in the comic book.
Old 04-27-18, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and some cool semi-resolution with Red Skull. That was pretty awesome. He looked great. I thought it was Death for a minute there.
Old 04-27-18, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh, and some cool semi-resolution with Red Skull. That was pretty awesome. He looked great. I thought it was Death for a minute there.
I forgot about mentioning that. Huge gasp from my theater at his appearance, and completely unexpected.
Old 04-27-18, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"How long have you been standing there?"

"An hour."

Old 04-27-18, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

The movie was something I've been waiting since I was 12 years old and it delivered. The people in my screening were in shock silence at the end of the film and after the credits, they were walking out like if it was a funeral.

After seeing the film, I understand even more why they decided to not use some characters like Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Wasp, Hank Pym and the TV heroes like Coulson, the Agents of SHIELD, Ghost Rider, Deathlok, Punisher, Daredevil, Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. I know they are bringing Captain Marvel and Mar-Vell too for next go around but I hope they finally give the TV characters some time, at least a cameo in the next film.

And speaking of characters that didn't show up, are the Nova Corps dead? Is the new Valkyrie dead? Are Korg and Mink dead? I was expecting to see Tessa Thompson in this film. Maybe she'll join Lady Sif in the next film too.
Old 04-27-18, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 825 Likes on 389 Posts

They will never, ever, ever use TV characters in the films. The film division doesn't give a shit about the TV division. Connection is one way. TV references the films and sometimes film characters appear on TV. Films never reference TV and TV characters never appear on flim.
Old 04-27-18, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Is the new Valkyrie dead? Are Korg and Mink dead?
I don't remember if it was Thor or Mantis who said it, but "Half" of the crew died on the ship. Lots of "Halves" sure bit the dust in this movie...Speaking of which, when it comes to a high bodycount for this kind of movie, I don't think we've seen this much damage done since Transformers: The Movie (Animated version, just to be more clear)

On the brighter side, the FOOTLOOSE mentions were pure gold and I busted up every single time I heard "Rabbit". "Squidworth" also got the biggest laugh from me. BTW, I would've thought that Thanos' children would have all been forgettable, but Ebony Maw prevented that from happening. A nicely done character.
Old 04-27-18, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I spent the last couple of weeks rewatching the all the MCU films. Infinity War feels exactly like what it is: the climax to a 40 hour movie.

So, yeah it was pretty fucking satisfying.

But the movie it reminded me of most was Gravity. There's never a moment of downtime. It's a 150 minute sprint.

Thanos's motivation for killing half the universe made way more sense than in the graphic novel. And they got the look and feel of him just perfect. This is what Apocalypse should have been.

I don't know that's it a better film than Winter Soldier, but I enjoyed Infinity more. Much more.
Old 04-27-18, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd say a sizeable number of people in the sold-out show I went to were pissed at the ending. LOTS of "what the fucks?!" "That's it?!" "I can't believe it?!" "NO?!" But the ending did keep almost everyone in their seats hoping the post credit scene would offer some sort of resolution--which only seemed to mystify a large number of people.

Lots of pluses for the movie:

--for the large number of characters in the movie the screenplay did a good job of juggling them all and giving everyone just enough to do--except Cap--I felt like he was given short shift in the flick. Would have liked more Hulk, but didn't mind that Banner couldn't get him to emerge which was a nice twist.

--the movie moved at a good clip for a 2 hour plus movie. It didn't feel overlong.

--Brolin (especially), Downey, Hemsworth, Cumberbatch, Saldana, Pratt all delivered in the acting department.

--lots of great humor peppered through the film. (People at my theater were laughing so much that I missed lots of the follow up jokes)

Downsides:

--Thanos's henchmen were pretty bland and not very memorable (cannon fodder) except for the tall, skinny dude--didn't catch his name--who provided some nice conflicts for the Avengers in the first half of the film.

"Winter Soldier" still outranks this film for me.
Old 04-27-18, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,744 Posts

Saw a 7:30pm show last night. Packed house.

It was pretty epic. Really enjoyed it. The 2 hours and 30 minutes flew by. One of the biggest Marvel movies I have seen. This IMO blows away the 1st two Avengers movies.

I do think early in the movie the tone was a little clunky, but they managed to get things flowing eventually.

Brolin was an awesome villain.

Man, that Wakanda battle scene was just epic. It felt so grand and big.

One minor criticism. I do wish they would have had a little more resolution to Tony and Steve's relationship coming off Civil War, but I do understand that was hard to do since they were separated by circumstances.

I think everyone in my theater went dead silent in shock with all the "deaths" I think Peter's "death" was gut wrenching. Obviously we know his death isn't sticking, but Holland really sold that he was scared to die.

and I think everyone was like..."That's it?" when it ended. I think everyone was expecting it to keep going. I think most stayed for the bonus scene with Maria Hill and Nick Fury. I didn't catch right away that Fury's distress signal was to Captain Marvel. So I wonder how big a role does Brie Larson have in the next movie? Curious what she can do.

Anyways, I'm in at work super early today and wanted to chime in while the movie was still fresh in my mind.

B+ for me. Going to be a long ass wait until the next movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-27-18 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-27-18, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,744 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They will never, ever, ever use TV characters in the films. The film division doesn't give a shit about the TV division. Connection is one way. TV references the films and sometimes film characters appear on TV. Films never reference TV and TV characters never appear on flim.
Clark Gregg is in Captain Marvel as Coulson. It's already been reported that he's a member of the cast. But, since that's a 1990's set prequel, not sure if that really counts.
Old 04-27-18, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 825 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Clark Gregg is in Captain Marvel as Coulson. It's already been reported that he's a member of the cast. But, since that's a 1990's set prequel, not sure if that really counts.
Yeah he was a movie character to start with. The movies will never acknowledge his resurrection on TV.
Old 04-27-18, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Your post makes about as much sense as posting spoiler tags inside a thread clearly titled spoilers. Why the hell would you kill off A-listers in this movie when everyone and their cousins already know time travel plays a part in Avengers 4. Basically everyone who died in Infinity War already have sequels announced for their franchises. If Cap and Tony do end up getting killed somehow then their deaths would make a whole lot more sense and payoff better in Avengers 4 since it would be final.
Look at the date of my post. Tags were used because you still have sensitive posters that will bitch since the film wasn't officially out.

Like I said... in another thread. I knew Marvel didn't have the balls to kill any A-listers in this film period, especially when it was announced that it was self-contained and not a 2-parter. That was obviously bull-shit.

Cap, Tony and Thor are done with their contracts. They could've at least killed one in this film. Instead we get Loki, Heimdal, Gamora, Vision and the rest of the B/C Team.

Also... all that damage control for Hawkeye. What the hell was that for? Just fucking say he is not in the film.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 04-27-18 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-27-18, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After credits scene

Old 04-27-18, 06:33 AM

Received 4,737 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Look at the date of my post. Tags were used because you still have sensitive posters that will bitch since the film wasn't officially out.
That was the correct thing to do for that reason. It is appreciated.

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Also... all that damage control for Hawkeye. What the hell was that for? Just fucking say he is not in the film.
I didn't really understand that either. They lack of forthrightness just made it somewhat worse.
Old 04-27-18, 06:53 AM

Received 4,737 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Interesting that they didn't have Weaving do it this time. If I remember correctly, he didn't seem to keen to do it again, even though he was under contract.

This time it was Aaron from The Walking Dead playing him.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.