Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-22-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 246 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Well, there have been a couple of lawsuits over trailers that misrepresent the movies or don't include scenes from the trailers, specifically Drive and Suicide Squad.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...e-years-962586

https://www.geek.com/tech/warner-and...ising-1665550/
Old 05-22-18, 12:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 793 Likes on 675 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-22-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 612 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
wouldn't that be false advertising to show something in trailer that is not in movie? there are laws against that. if a kid wanting to see The Hulk in Wakanda fighting and only get Hulkbuster suit and really no Hulk at all in movie, that kid would be disappointed and could technical sue, no?
Technically, no. They could not sue.

The trailer does not specifically say, "HEY ALL THESE SCENES ARE IN THE MOVIE, COME CHECK IT!"
Old 05-22-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 259 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Well, there have been a couple of lawsuits over trailers that misrepresent the movies or don't include scenes from the trailers, specifically Drive and Suicide Squad.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...e-years-962586

https://www.geek.com/tech/warner-and...ising-1665550/
What's important is what the result of those lawsuits was, though. I'm not sure what happened with the second one, but the first article says:
From the time of the initial filing, the plaintiff's lawyer Martin H. Leaf hasn't experienced much success on the claim that the film has violated the Michigan Consumer Protection Act.
This kind of lawsuit is a ridiculous abuse and waste of the system, in my opinion.
Old 05-22-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 660 Likes on 320 Posts

Deadpool 2 has scenes in some of the trailers
Spoiler:
specifically the action shots of X-Force
which were shot specifically for the trailer and were never intended to be in the movie. There's no law requiring the scenes used in trailers to actually be in the movie.

Above spoiler is not very spoilery, but I decided to use the tags lest someone accuse me of posting Deadpool spoilers in the Avengers thread.
Old 05-25-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 180 Posts

Questions about AVENGERS INFINITY WAR:

I see Karen Gillan, Benicio Del Toro and Idris Elba listed in the IMDB cast list, but I didn’t see either of them in the film.
Gillan plays someone called Nebula. Was she the bald chick held in captivity and tortured by Thanos?
Del Toro plays someone called the Collector. Who was that?
Elba plays someone named Heimdall. Who was that?

I saw Scarlet Witch, played by Elizabeth Olsen, but where were Hawkeye and Quicksilver?

Thanos comes from a planet called Titan. I'm assuming they don't mean the moon orbiting Saturn, so where is Titan? And how do Iron Man and Spiderman and the others with them get there from Earth so easily and in such short time--without spacesuits or helmets?

Why is Steve Rogers never called Captain America? And why doesn't he wear his Captain America costume? (I missed some movies in the MCU.)

Thanks.
Old 05-25-18, 05:29 PM

Received 4,070 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

I see Karen Gillan, Benicio Del Toro and Idris Elba listed in the IMDB cast list, but I didn’t see either of them in the film.
Gillan plays someone called Nebula. Was she the bald chick held in captivity and tortured by Thanos?

I saw Scarlet Witch, played by Elizabeth Olsen, but where were Hawkeye and Quicksilver?

Thanos comes from a planet called Titan. I'm assuming they don't mean the moon orbiting Saturn, so where is Titan? And how do Iron Man and Spiderman and the others with them get there from Earth so easily and in such short time--without spacesuits or helmets?

Why is Steve Rogers never called Captain America? And why doesn't he wear his Captain America costume? (I missed some movies in the MCU.)

Thanks.
Yes. That was Gillan.

del Toro was on Nowhere. He is put into the glass case by Thanos.

Elba is in the first scene and gets killed.

Hawkeye isn’t in the movie. Quicksilver is dead been for a while.

Sounds like you missed all movies and not some.
Old 05-25-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Thanks.
Gillan played Nebula (the bald blue chick). Del Toro played The Collector. He was in the scene where Star-Lord shot at Gamora and bubbles came out because Thanos used the Reality Stone. Heimdall sent the Hulk to Earth in the opening scene and was killed by Thanos along with Loki. Hawkeye was with his family (under house arrest, I think) for his part in Captain America: Civil War. Quicksilver died in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Not sure where Titan is. It's been a few weeks since I saw the film, but if I recall Iron Man and Spider-Man hitched a ride to space aboard that donut-shaped ship. After killing Thanos' henchmen, they flew the ship to Titan (I think). There must be oxygen in the ship and on Titan and that's why they don't wear helmets? Steve Rogers went on the run after the events of Civil War because he wouldn't sign the Socovia Accords in that movie. That put him on the wrong side of the law and why he doesn't wear the costume anymore. He also lost his shield in that movie.
Old 05-25-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 360 Likes on 256 Posts

After Civil War, Steve Rogers hung up his Captain America persona.

I doubt any of us can give a satisfactory answer on the location of Titan. So I’ll answer “space.”
Old 05-25-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,669 Likes on 1,286 Posts

In the comics, Titan (where Thanos is from) is the moon of Saturn. In the MCU, who knows?

In case you want to track this down:
Nebula is one of the main bad guys in GotG 1 and also shows up in GotG 2. I highly recommend watching at least GotG 1 because that not only sets up the Guardians but also the relationship between Thanos, Nebula, and Gamora.

Del Toro also shows up in GotG 1. He's given the infinity stone in a brief post credits scene in Thor the Dark World.

Elba is in all three Thor movies, though he has more of a featured role in the third one (Ragnarok, which also sets up why the Asgardians are in space, why Thor is missing an eye, why he doesn't have a hammer, why Hulk is with him... just go watch it)

Go watch Captain America: Civil War as to why Cap and Iron Man are fighting, why SW, Falcon, Vision, and BW are on Caps side and are on the run, why he doesn't have his shield, and what happened to War Machine. Like at the very least watch that movie.

You didn't ask about Wakanda or anything so I'll assume you watched Black Panther.

Also you didn't ask this, but for background about the Infinity stones:
The space stone: Captain America: The First Avenger, then the Avengers, then Thor:Ragnarok
The mind stone: Avengers, then Avengers Age of Ultron
Reality: Thor: the Dark World
Power: Guardians of the Galaxy 1
Time: Dr. Strange
Soul: Avengers: Infinity War

Last edited by fujishig; 05-25-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

Sounds like you missed all movies and not some.
LOL - exactly what i was going to comment. Seriously though, sounds like he at least missed GotG, which is a must watch (because it's good, and is one of the few films where the entire plot REALLY sets up Infinity War)

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-25-18 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 861 Likes on 602 Posts

I'd ask if he is fucking with us, but it is Ash ... He may not know these things, but he will give us a complete history of the J-Pop bands that featured the actress who played Yukio in Deadpool 2.

(Love you Ash! I am hoping you are playing the Sheep game this time!)
Old 05-29-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 174 Likes on 143 Posts

Finally saw it and I really enjoyed most of its.

I was afraid that they would have to limit the funny due to the heavy stakes at hand. Thankfully, they did not.

Thanos was more well-rounded than I thought he would be when they began setting this up years ago.

Also happy that it didn't seem as long-winded as Age of Ultron.

Last edited by B.A.; 05-30-18 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-22-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The plot of Civil War 2 confirmed:

Old 06-23-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

His response was great as well.
Old 06-23-18, 09:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 561 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
His response was great as well.
I’d probably screw up the imbed, but it was “You’ll be hearing from my lawyer.”
Old 07-31-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

io9 gathered a bunch of the tidbits and notes from the behind the scenes features from the digital release. Some nice info in there.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-secrets-...war-1827975532

A couple of the ones I liked -

• There are a lot of Raiders of the Lost Ark winks in the movie, the first being the moment Maw’s hand is burned when he tries to grab the Time Stone off Doctor Strange.
• Neither of the directors or the writers is sure exactly how much time passes from the events at the beginning of the movie to the end, but they guess about two days.
• Everyone struggled with how to play out the Ebony Maw/Tony Stark fight aboard the spaceship to save Doctor Strange. There were various different iterations but, eventually, it was deemed too much. So, in another nod to Raiders of the Lost Ark, they decided to just cheat and have him get sucked out into space, much like when Indy pulls a gun out to win a fight quickly.
• Many people ask why Thanos didn’t go after the stones earlier in the MCU timeline; the reason is, he didn’t know where the Soul Stone was. So it wasn’t until Nebula tried to kill him, got caught, and let it slip that Gamora knew its location that he started collecting them in earnest.
• Because Thanos is so powerful, everyone had to figure out a way that the heroes could hang with him for at least a little while. They decided that Thanos had to make a fist to use a stone’s power. So with that rule in place, the heroes just have to stop him from making a fist to fight him.
Old 08-06-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 746 Likes on 549 Posts

I somehow managed to avoid any spoilers of this movie until I just watched it this weekend.

Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed with the "deaths". I went in expecting to say goodbye to some main characters like Stark (I was convinced he was the "I don't feel so good" meme). Most everyone who vanished is sure to come back in part 2.

That aside, super entertaining movie. I already want to watch it again.
Old 08-06-18, 09:46 AM

Received 4,070 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I somehow managed to avoid any spoilers of this movie until I just watched it this weekend.

Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed with the "deaths". I went in expecting to say goodbye to some main characters like Stark (I was convinced he was the "I don't feel so good" meme). Most everyone who vanished is sure to come back in part 2.

That aside, super entertaining movie. I already want to watch it again.
It was always more likely that any actual deaths would be in Avengers 4.
Old 08-06-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 746 Likes on 549 Posts

I honestly didn't even know this is a 2 part story going in. I was guessing based on who's already had thir stories told. Outside of the people who haven't had individual stories, I expected Stark, Hulk (due to not being able to make a direct movie for him with the rights as they are), and Thor to not make it through the film for good.

After watching though, I did see an article about how Hulk is having his own arc within these films since they can't make a stand alone. That makes sense.
Old 08-06-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If anything, I'd think Hulk is one of the safest to keep around. While Ruffalo is a major part of the character, if they just wanted him to be an Avenger they could basically keep the monster part around even if the actor wants to do something else.
Old 08-06-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
If anything, I'd think Hulk is one of the safest to keep around. While Ruffalo is a major part of the character, if they just wanted him to be an Avenger they could basically keep the monster part around even if the actor wants to do something else.
It's possible that in the next movie, Banner will be permanently stuck in his Hulk form. Peter David did this in his run in the late 80s/early 90s comics, where the Green Hulk, Gray Hulk, and Banner merged into a single entity. The new Hulk had the Green Hulk's body and strength, the Gray Hulk's confidence, and Banner's face and intelligence.
Old 08-12-18, 02:20 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Been saving this to watch and finally did

Everything i hoped for and more 11/10

Best movie of it's kind bar none

Loved all character interactions, there wasn't one second of the movie which wasn't riveting

Did a way better job of portraying such a powerful enemy than Apocalypse in the last X men movie

loved the children of Thanos as sub villians, they rocked

Antman and Hawkeye stood out a bit as missing but oh well, i haven't seen Antman and wasp and believe that explains things

The only 1 minute of the film i didn't like was Ross and the Accord rubbish when Capt et al arrived at Rhodeys. Given what was going on with the whole planet for anyone to hold on to any legal document and any criminal status was just stupid

Professional Critics are basically irrelevant when it comes to this movie, they can be the half killed by Thanos. 8.7 on imdb with a half a million votes and 2. godknows billion says it all
Old 08-12-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 660 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Antman and Hawkeye stood out a bit as missing but oh well, i haven't seen Antman and wasp and believe that explains things
Not really. There's a throwaway line in Infinity War about Scott being under house arrest, but when you see AM&TW, you will see that his house arrest actually ended some time before the events of IW.

Professional Critics are basically irrelevant when it comes to this movie, they can be the half killed by Thanos. 8.7 on imdb with a half a million votes and 2. godknows billion says it all
Not sure why you felt the need to throw some shade at critics. It was generally well liked by critics (83% fresh), as are most of the films in the MCU.
Old 08-12-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 861 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I honestly didn't even know this is a 2 part story going in.
It’s not. Really. No, seriously.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.