Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by islandclaws
You realize this film is doing insaely well because the cast was beefed up, right?

Is there a lot to take in? Absolutely, but I can't imagine why anyone would go into this expecting rich development when, as others have said, it came in the previous 18 movies. Didn't see a few of them? Then expect to be a bit lost. I wouldn't watch the final Harry Potter film if I'd only seen a few of them beforehand.
I do understand that, but I was disappointed with Civil War 2 years ago because we didn't get a real Captain America movie with the kind of character development that the first two Cap movies had. It's been a long time since we got any real character development out of Cap (Tony Stark got as much screen time as Steve Rogers did in that one), and Cap is (by far) my favorite MCU character.

I didn't expect much character development from Infinity War, but I expected a little more than we got. The problem was the character development time was spread out over about 10 characters. They could have, and should have, focused a little more on Cap. His appearance was little more than a glorified cameo in this movie. The Guardians of the Galaxy got more time than Cap - in an Avengers movie! This wasn't a Guardians movie, it was an Avengers movie - well, in name, anyway.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I only liked this movie and didn't love it since I wasn't a huge fan of the comic book version of Infinity War. It was OK, but it, too, was overblown.
Old 05-06-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I’m sensing that you are a Cap fan, and that every movie should be centered around him.

This wasn’t a Cap movie. It was every hero coming together to try to literally save the universe.

As for there being no character development, I really don’t know what movie you saw. I’ve seen IW twice so far, and I am very surprised at how much character development they were able to incorporate into the story.
Old 05-06-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I’m sensing that you are a Cap fan, and that every movie should be centered around him.
No, just the ones with Captain America in the title. Since the last one of those centered on Tony Stark as much as Steve Rogers that was more than a little disappointing.

This wasn’t a Cap movie. It was every hero coming together to try to literally save the universe.
Of course, but still, somehow, Robert Downey Jr. got as much screen time as anyone, while Chris Evans was reduced to a glorified cameo.

But that's really just a minor issue for me.

There were too many locations, too many characters, too much going on for this to be a truly great movie. It was overkill overload.

As for there being no character development, I really don’t know what movie you saw. I’ve seen IW twice so far, and I am very surprised at how much character development they were able to incorporate into the story.
But it was far less than in the last two Avengers movies.

Look, I'm in the minority since I merely liked Infinity War and didn't love it. So sue me for not falling in line with the groupthink.
Old 05-06-18, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

At least he gave it 3 1/2 stars, which is equal to roughly a B. Still a positive review.

Joe Schmoe, on the other hand, is the lone dissenting 3 star review. I wish he would have taken the time to provide details why he felt the way he did. Unless he doesn't want to be ganged up on for the lone dissenting opinion.
Old 05-06-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik

I didn't expect much character development from Infinity War, but I expected a little more than we got. The problem was the character development time was spread out over about 10 characters. They could have, and should have, focused a little more on Cap. His appearance was little more than a glorified cameo in this movie. The Guardians of the Galaxy got more time than Cap - in an Avengers movie! This wasn't a Guardians movie, it was an Avengers movie - well, in name, anyway.
I'm with you in that Cap is my favorite MCU character. The Russos did say that any Avengers who got short shrift in this film would get more screen time in the next.

You probably also know Cap is heavily rumored to bite the big one and since it didn't happen in this entry, I'm willing to bet Cap will be a main focus in A4 before he gets that big send-off.
Old 05-06-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I didn’t really have a problem with your comments until you came out with this zinger:
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Look, I'm in the minority since I merely liked Infinity War and didn't love it. So sue me for not falling in line with the groupthink.
So, being in the minority mean you possess critical thinking skills that those of us who loved the movie somehow lack?

You do realize how pompous and stupid that makes you sound, correct?
Old 05-06-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I didn’t really have a problem with your comments until you came out with this zinger:

So, being in the minority mean you possess critical thinking skills that those of us who loved the movie somehow lack?

You do realize how pompous and stupid that makes you sound, correct?
No, I realize how any criticism of this movie is getting jumped on in this thread like the person posting it was a heretic.
Old 05-06-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

The fact that a team of Cap, Black Widow, and Falcon basically showed up and fought two of the Black Order to a standstill, then played crucial parts in that final battle, wasn't enough? Most of the heavy hitters (Iron Man, Thor, Strange) are off world or disabled (Hulk) and those guys carried a bunch of the battle, I thought that was enough of a focus on them for the cast they were working with. They certainly treated Captain America as a huge deal.

And most of the non core Avengers are gone for the next one anyway.
Old 05-06-18, 11:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally saw this. It’s well made and certainly a spectacle, but it felt empty. The ending had little impact to me because I know they’re going to undo most and likely all of the deaths. Most of the movie was endless fighting with some jokes thrown in (admittedly, some of the jokes were great). This doesn’t have the impact of the best Marvel films because it’s so big and spans so many characters that it becomes desensitizing.

I will see it one more time because my wife wants to watch it, and I will see the next Avengers film to find out how they wrap it up. After that, I’m done with Marvel. I have no interest in Ant-Man and the Wasp or any of the other announced films aside from Infinity War 2 or whatever they call it.

Also a lot of characters seemed to take seeing their friends and comrades vanishing to dust in stride. I think Rocket Raccoon was the most visibly upset.
Old 05-07-18, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
The fact that a team of Cap, Black Widow, and Falcon basically showed up and fought two of the Black Order to a standstill, then played crucial parts in that final battle, wasn't enough? Most of the heavy hitters (Iron Man, Thor, Strange) are off world or disabled (Hulk) and those guys carried a bunch of the battle, I thought that was enough of a focus on them for the cast they were working with. They certainly treated Captain America as a huge deal.
Huge deal? Not really. He certainly didn't have much dialogue. I'm nore interested in the dialogue than the action, even with comic book superhero movies.

To me this was a huge waste for Evans' next to last movie as Cap.
Old 05-07-18, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
None of the characters got character development because that already happened during the last 10 years. The movie itself is a climax to everything that came before. The only character that needed development, and got it, was Thanos.

I can understand the complaint that this doesn't really work on it's own, but I think 10 years in and 19 movies deep, I'm ok with that in the Avengers movies. If these were the individual solo movies then i'd be more interested in building and growing the existing heroes, but in any of the Avengers movies I'm interested in what conflicts bring all our heroes together. For all the characters involved, I think they did a pretty good job giving everyone their moment to shine and some certainly had to take a back seat.
Old 05-07-18, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
So any guesses on the percentage drop for the second weekend? I'm guessing in the 20% area.
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, it's gonna be 20 or 30%. The girls are gonna go back for it due to Spiderman's arc. It's like Titanic all over again.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Yeah no way it was going to hit a 20-30% drop.

56% drop weekend to weekend.

$112,474,000 -56.4%

It's actually pretty good considering how much it made opening weekend but still would have liked to have seen something less than 50%. It might not have as long legs as people thought. Especially as complex and as given to repeat viewings as it's turned out to be. It's now pacing far behind The Force Awakens. Maybe Tony needs to give that light saber back to Rey.
Old 05-07-18, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman

It's actually pretty good considering how much it made opening weekend but still would have liked to have seen something less than 50%. It might not have as long legs as people thought. Especially as complex and as given to repeat viewings as it's turned out to be. It's now pacing far behind The Force Awakens. Maybe Tony needs to give that light saber back to Rey.
That was for the opening weekend crown, which Avengers now has. Nobody has surrendered the all time domestic box office crown yet.
Old 05-07-18, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Yeah, sometimes shit movies do make a lot of money. Doesn't mean they're any good.
See Transformers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, .....

I realize this is a two parter but can't help feeling a little let down with the ending.
Old 05-07-18, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
See Transformers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, .....

I realize this is a two parter but can't help feeling a little let down with the ending.
Also, Transformers 1.
Old 05-07-18, 07:31 AM

I'm confident that Cap will get his moment to shine in A4. But he did get quite the scene in Infinity War. Cap straight up held Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet (with FIVE friggin stones!) hand at bay. Thanos had to sucker punch Cap to get past him. If that doesn't make Cap the man, nothing will.

Oh, and "I am Steve Rogers."
Old 05-07-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 05-07-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
That was for the opening weekend crown, which Avengers now has. Nobody has surrendered the all time domestic box office crown yet.
I know. But I still think it’s crazy that The Force Awakens is tracking significantly better than IW so I bet domestically at least TFA will beat out IW especially since it’s the busy Summer season. With a whole lot more competition. Still don’t understand why they decided to release Solo in the Summer.
Old 05-07-18, 08:56 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
I'm confident that Cap will get his moment to shine in A4. But he did get quite the scene in Infinity War. Cap straight up held Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet (with FIVE friggin stones!) hand at bay. Thanos had to sucker punch Cap to get past him. If that doesn't make Cap the man, nothing will.

Oh, and "I am Steve Rogers."
The creative team has already pretty much said all the people who didn't have big parts in this one will have much bigger parts in the next one.
Old 05-07-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
The creative team has already pretty much said all the people who didn't have big parts in this one will have much bigger parts in the next one.
It reminds me of all the people complaining about how The Fellowship of the Ring ended.
Old 05-07-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Well, they kind of have to, since most of the people who had big parts are now dead.
Old 05-07-18, 10:58 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Well, they kind of have to, since most of the people who had big parts are now dead.
That's the point. The ones who became dust at the end had bigger parts in this one.
Old 05-07-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

$112,474,000 -56.4%

I was sort of surprised.
Old 05-07-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

$112,474,000 -56.4%

20% made no sense at all.
Old 05-07-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That weekend drop might be slightly less than reported, since I'm now reading the film may have done around $115mm. Still good enough for second-best second weekend.

Yea, anyone that said sub-50% drop was nuts and doesn't understand box office seasons. This film was NEVER going to outpace TFA outside of the OW because holiday holds are ridiculous compared to any other season.

Also, as big as IW is nothing compares to TFA release period. You could smell SW in the air; it was a cultural phenomenon. People were rabid.

As it stands now, IW might not even leg it to $700mm with DP2 and SOLO coming up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.