Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020, D: Yan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020, D: Yan)

Old 04-17-18, 10:43 AM

Received 1,601 Likes on 1,106 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and DC Entertainment have chosen Cathy Yan to be the director of an untitled girl gang movie, likely the next superhero film to be graced by Suicide Squad scene-stealer Harley Quinn, in the form of Margot Robbie. A deal has to be completed, but it is expected that Yan will become the second female filmmaker to join the DC club after Wonder Woman‘s Patty Jenkins, and the first female Asian director ever tapped to direct a superhero film.

This is a bold bet for Warner Bros’ Geoff Johns and Walter Hamada, who oversee DC under Toby Emmerich. Yan got the job over numerous well established male directors, and because she is taking this giant leap with just one small-budget indie movie under her belt. That would be Dead Pigs, a film that won the World Cinema Dramatic Award For Ensemble Acting at Sundance last January. Despite being a new talent, Yan’s presentation for Birds of Prey was exceptional, and Robbie held firm to her desire for this film to be directed by a woman.

Robbie’s LuckyChap is producing with Sue Kroll and her Kroll & Co Entertainment and Bryan Unkeless of Clubhouse Pictures. Robbie and Unkeless produced I, Tonya.

The project is based on Birds of Prey, which in the DC universe teams Quinn with several other crime fighters, namely Black Canary, Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) and Huntress. It is not confirmed if all of them will be characters in the film. What is clear is that both the main characters and most of the creative braintrust are female, remarkable for a studio-sized superhero film. The script was written by Christina Hodson, who wrote the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee, and just got hired to write the Batgirl movie.

This film looks cleared to start production by year’s end or early next year, after Robbie completes Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. She is negotiating to star alongside Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt in the Quentin Tarantino-directed film for Sony Pictures. The other Harley Quinn films are still under construction. That includes the Suicide Squad sequel to be directed by Gavin O’Connor. Two others, Harley Quinn Vs The Joker and Gotham City Sirens with Suicide Squad helmer David Ayer, seem further in the distance.

Back to Yan. She was a Wall Street Journal reporter who worked from New York, Hong Kong and Beijing, and one of the paper’s youngest reporters to land multiple stories on the front page. She wrote and directed numerous short films before stepping up to features with Dead Pigs.

In that film, a mysterious stream of pig carcasses floats silently toward China’s populous economic hub, Shanghai. As authorities struggle to explain the phenomenon, characters intersect. They include a down-and-out pig farmer with a youthful heart struggles to make ends meet, an upwardly mobile landowner fighting gentrification against an American expat seeking a piece of the Chinese dream, a romantic busboy hides his job from his father, and a rich young woman struggling to find her independence.

Yan is repped by CAA and attorney Jerry Dasti of Sloss Eckhouse Law.
http://deadline.com/2018/04/harley-q...on-1202365866/

I guess it is different than what was already announced.
Old 04-17-18, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Received 411 Likes on 323 Posts
re: Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020, D: Yan)

WB just throwing shit out there to see what sticks.

Last edited by E Unit; 04-19-18 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-17-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
re: Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020, D: Yan)

Read a rumor that the studio is moving forward with this instead of Suicide Squad 2. Not sure if it means that is canceled completely or just replacing it on the production schedule or what.

Also, guaranteed this is replacing Gotham City Sirens (which was very much in doubt anyway) and the Harley Quinn/Joker movies.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 04-17-18 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

They should just combine the two properties and make it a Birds of Prey vs. Gotham City Sirens movie.
Old 04-17-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will it be more of a Harley vehicle, or will it be a "regular" Birds of Prey version?
Old 04-17-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

Well, so far the only one they got "right" was the one featuring a woman and made by a woman, so I don't see how this can be any worse than Suicide Squad. Bank on the popularity of Harley, maybe get Batgirl rolling.

I'm surprised that it may replace SS2, though, unless they don't have Smith under contract or something.
Old 04-17-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Good way to introduce Batgirl. Good news about the script

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 04-17-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 536 Likes on 437 Posts

Honestly it makes more sense to me to do this than a sequel to Suicide Squad. While the first did well itís not because it was a good film but obviously had more to do with Harleyís popularity. I doubt most people give a ratís ass about most of the other Squad members (except maybe Deadshot). Iím more interested in this than a sequel personally. It could be interesting if they bring in the Birds of Prey (although if thatís the case and Oracle is involved Iím not exactly sure how the upcoming Batgirl is supposed to work).
Old 04-17-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

Oracle went back to being Batgirl in the comics, though, and is an active part of BoP, so I assume they're going to go with that if they do have Batgirl in it.
Old 04-17-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,172 Likes on 874 Posts

Well, there's a script, a director and at least 1 actor.

So, at least there's that.

Does Suicide Squad 2 even have a script?
Old 04-17-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am assuming the movie is based on the Rebirth version of BoP, which features Gordon as Batgirl, not Oracle.

Then again, they could try to bridge the two comic versions and have this movie feature her as Oracle, but then have her undergo the "experimental surgery" either at the end of the movie or at the beginning of the next, to become Batgirl again.
Old 04-17-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Does Suicide Squad 2 even have a script?
Did the first one?
Old 04-17-18, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

LOL!
Old 04-19-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Margot Robbie's gonna be busy playing HQ.
Old 04-19-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I'll watch anything with Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. <3
Old 04-19-18, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Typical development schedules for these movies means it's doubtful these will make it to the big screen.

Netflix however...
Old 04-19-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kinda doubt that. Besides I think if they ever went that route theyíd use the new DC streaming service thatís supposed to launch soon.
Old 07-06-18, 08:15 PM

Received 1,601 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Margot Robbie is set to reprise her Suicide Squad role as Harley Quinn as many as four times in the next couple of years. For now, though, her mind is on the first of those projects, Birds of Prey. As well as playing Harley, she’s also producing the movie and now she’s confirmed exclusively to Flickering Myth that shooting starts in January 2019.

In an interview to discuss Terminal, her latest film as both star and producer, Robbie pin-pointed January as the start date for Birds of Prey and described the film as “different” from the other DC titles featuring Harley Quinn. Not only will it be R rated but it’ll be made with a “much smaller budget.”

Birds of Prey is a DC Comics series featuring an all-female line-up of heroes. Which characters will appear in the film hasn’t been revealed, but Batgirl, Black Canary and Huntress are emerging as the favourites to keep company with Robbie’s Harleen Quinzel. Director Cathy Yan and screenwriter Christina Hodson are already attached.

No release date for the film has been revealed so far, but we may get an official announcement later this month during Warner Bros.’ DC Films panel at the San Diego Comic-Con International.

Terminal is released in UK cinemas today and will be available on DVD, Blu-ray and Digital from 6th August. Check back at the start of August for our full interview.
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/...birds-of-prey/
Old 07-06-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not seeing the need for an R rating. I could maybe see if Joker and her were the sole focus but with the Birds of Prey itíll involve some heroines who arenít known for being particularly violent. DC has to keep things edgy though because itís worked so well thus far.
Old 07-07-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

You're assuming the R rating would be due to violence.
Old 07-07-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I sort of doubt it would be for sexual content. I mean maybe some scenes but I donít think it would be for that throughout much of it. Maybe some profanity but I would guess violence/gore would be the main thing for a movie like this. Some of the comics Harley is similar to Deadpool so I wouldnít be surprised if thatís what their aim is. I donít necessarily think that fits when the Birds of Prey are involved.
Old 07-16-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-16-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting that theyíre going with Cassandra Cain. To be honest Iím down for that but a little odd considering the Batgirl movie thatís supposedly in the works. Iíd presume thatís going to feature Barbara as Batgirl. I assume Cassandra is Batgirl in this and not one of her other aliases. Not sure why DC is keeping with this trend of multiple versions of characters. Seems confusing for people who donít know the comics.
Old 07-16-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts

So I guess all the Black Canary characters in the CW shows die now, huh?
Old 07-16-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

A dig the cast of women. Cautiously optimistic and I wonder how they'll position Harley in these movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.