Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Poll: What will be the final domestic box office of Avengers: Infinity War

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What will be the final domestic box office gross of Avengers: Infinity War?
300-399
5.56%
400-499
5.56%
500-599
11.11%
600-699
25.00%
700-799
27.78%
800-899
5.56%
900-999
2.78%
1,000,000,000 and up
16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What will be the final domestic box office of Avengers: Infinity War

Old 04-09-18, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Poll: What will be the final domestic box office of Avengers: Infinity War

Originally Posted by The Bus
Sequels are always judged by their last release and Ultron was underwhelming. While I think this will be a better film and have better word of mouth, I'd see an inflation-adjusted domestic total somewhere between the two.
I don't think that really applies to these movies since we already had a pseudo-sequel in Captain America: Civil War which was better received than Age of Ultron. So that movies performance may have taken the hit that otherwise would have come with Avengers III.
Old 04-09-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I should not have participated as I was taking a bit of the piss as the Brits might say. It is too easy to assume this film will blow past Black Panther's final gross which is higher than Titanic (without taking into account inflation adusted gross) but on paper there is a lot of competition for theater goers dollars that I think makes it harder for this film to blow everything else out of the water (minus Avatar, still the undisputed champion).
Except people will dispute that Star Wars: The Forse Awakens made more than Avatar.
Old 04-09-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Force Awakens spanked Avatar, both adjusted and unadjusted, by a good bit ($100m adjusted, about $170m unadjusted).

Now if you throw Worldwide into the mix, I don't see anything hitting Avatar numbers in the near future. (The Force Awakens needed an additional $700m to hit Avatar's level.)

Last edited by RichC2; 04-09-18 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Movieguru, RichC2...for some reason I completely skipped over Star Wars: TFAs domestic gross which was insane. It is still weird that a handful of films have grossed over half a billion domestic, and one came darn close to grossing a billion domestic...it just feels a bit surreal typing that out.

I still feel that unless Infinity War somehow figures out how to suck up all the oxygen in a room that there is room for multiple films to hang tough at the box office which may keep its final domestic well below 700 million, probably closer to 600 million max.

It also feels like everyone is basically assuming it is guaranteed to gross this much which is a bit cocky. I remember thinking to myself that The Avengers AOU's domestic was going to be insanely high because how could a movie with Ultron not be guaranteed to be a license to print money, but it ended up grossing less than 500 million which was a far cry from The Avengers final domestic (sure it made a boat load more overseas, but yeah).

Stranger things have happened so people should be prepared.

I do love it that folks will run around Hollywood like chickens with their heads cut off saying the end of Marvel Studios is nigh if it only grosses 500 million or just a bit over.
Old 04-09-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Movieguru, RichC2...for some reason I completely skipped over Star Wars: TFAs domestic gross which was insane. It is still weird that a handful of films have grossed over half a billion domestic, and one came darn close to grossing a billion domestic...it just feels a bit surreal typing that out.
Surreal or not, it is reality. And it will happen again, whether or not IW is the movie to do it.

It also feels like everyone is basically assuming it is guaranteed to gross this much which is a bit cocky.
There's nothing cocky about it. I base my assumptions on the excitement and anticipation I read about on numerous websites and forums, and the excitement and anticipation I observe around me. I see much more excitement for IW than I saw for TLJ, or even BP.

At my local theater, there are 4 showings on Thursday night (there were 3, but they added one more, and they may shuffle things to add one more). There are a few seats left for the 10:30 pm showing, but the others are essentially sold out (except for the neck breaker seats under the screen). And that is with over 2 weeks still to go.

Yes, things could go sideways if reviews are bad (especially if the RT score is unusually low) or if WOM is bad, but I just don't see that happening for this movie. Only time will tell.
Old 04-11-18, 10:14 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Outpacing Last Seven Marvel Movies Combined in Fandango Presales
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/av...el-1202750313/
Old 04-22-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I put in my vote at 600 to 700 million dollars.
Old 04-22-18, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Sequels are always judged by their last release and Ultron was underwhelming. While I think this will be a better film and have better word of mouth, I'd see an inflation-adjusted domestic total somewhere between the two.
Although technically correct no one thinks of this as a sequel to Ultron. More like the culmination of the entire MCU. This will be much bigger.
Old 04-22-18, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
They don't want to compete against themselves. They have Solo coming out in May and The Incredibles 2 coming out in mid June. Ant Man and the Wasp comes out in July. So they've now got their summer movies coming out four weeks apart so the dont cannibalize off each other.
I really don't get why they put Solo in the summer. Star Wars has done really well lately in the winter and this summer is already jam packed and these releases are getting overshadowed by each other. I think it will hurt both of their numbers. IW will have one of if not the biggest weekend openers but I really wonder how long it's legs will be. That's one thing that really helped BP's enormous numbers was the lack of competition.
Old 04-23-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

I wonder if they just wanted to stave off further “troubled production” stories about Solo. Like “see, we’ve got this under control!”

But Disney should just embrace and own December with Star Wars.
Old 04-23-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts

If this does not make more than Black Panther is it considered a failure?
Old 04-23-18, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot.

In fact, I'll even say a whole lot.
Old 04-23-18, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
I really don't get why they put Solo in the summer. Star Wars has done really well lately in the winter and this summer is already jam packed and these releases are getting overshadowed by each other. I think it will hurt both of their numbers. IW will have one of if not the biggest weekend openers but I really wonder how long it's legs will be. That's one thing that really helped BP's enormous numbers was the lack of competition.
I feel like The Incredibles 2, which people have been wanting for years is now going to be overshadowed by all these other movies and not do as well as it should at the box office.
Old 04-23-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
If this does not make more than Black Panther is it considered a failure?
It seems like Black Panther set the bar really high even though its box office gross is more of a fluke like Avatar was in 2009. Peoples' expectations are that the Avengers movies should gross more than all the other singular Marvel movies. So anything less than Black Panther's gross or a gross less than $600 million domestic is going to be looked at as a failure.

While Solo may gross between $400-500 million it will defintely be looked at as a failure in the Star Wars franchise.

Personally, I'm more looking forward to the The Incredibles than Avengers Infinity War. I'm more interested in Solo than I have been with the past two Star Wars movies.
Old 04-24-18, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's the thing as I see it.

Despite what the Russos say, the fact this is getting an immediate sequel with only a yr in between tells me that this film leaves some form of unfinished business. It may not be a cliffhanger per se, with a specific characters fate in jeopardy, but there is obviously matters that need to be addressed in a follow up.

That means this film is not likely to end on a rousing, definitive climax/coda (like the destruction of the Death Star/ Award ceremony for the original SW, for one example). I don't see how you can have that (rousing finish), and still have a sense of dire urgency for a follow up. It will still feel incomplete...because you need to see the followup to get the full story.

Because it won't feel complete (I'm guessing), people will not be going back as often and as rabidly as they have with other films. It will open huge, and it's first three to four weeks will be big. I don't think it will have legs like Black Panther (which I still haven't seen) though. As epic as this looks, people will be satiated with it quick I bet.
Old 04-24-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

No need to see it. Just watch a bunch of clips online and that's enough.
Old 04-24-18, 09:20 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Old 04-24-18, 12:51 PM
Banned

900 Million. You bet your ass the final gross would've been far more were it released in the Winter with little to no competition like Titanic, Avatar, The Force Awakens and Black Panther were.

--
Old 04-24-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's currently estimated at $498m WW by Sunday.

So whats the next mega-buck franchise? In the last 18 years we've had Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Fast and Furious, MCU, Dark Knight Trilogy, Hunger Games, Twilight, etc; Curious what will catch on for the '20s, Avatars: Avatar Harder? More MCU?

Last edited by RichC2; 04-24-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

DCEU! It's time!
Old 04-24-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan

I would, but I don't think Disney will be desperate enough to put up an hour and twenty minutes of unique clips up on Youtube.
Old 04-25-18, 09:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well my local Cinemark is certainly optimistic on ticket sales. They have 25 different showtimes for Saturday! And that's just for 2D. More showtimes for the other formats.

I never seen that many showtimes on any release.
Old 04-25-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have three theater complexes within easy driving (< 15 minutes) of my home. Of those, one has 16 showings on Saturday, one has 29 showings, and one has 31 showings. That does include all viewing options (2D, 3D, IMAX).
Old 04-25-18, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

All.
Old 04-25-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guess I was wrong as most people who have seen it seem to be raving about the ending.

I tend to think a strong finish is indispensable for repeat viewings.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.