Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

City of Lies (D: Brad Furman) S: Depp, Whitaker -- Tupac/B.I.G. Murders Biopic

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The film tells the story of a disgraced LAPD detective, Russell Poole (Johnny Depp), who fails to solve the murder cases of rappers Tupac Shakur and The Notorious B.I.G. A reporter (based on journalist Randall Sullivan's collaboration with Russell Poole), "Jack" Jackson teams up with Poole after nearly two decades to find out the truth.
Old 04-04-18, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: City of Lies (D: Brad Furman) S: Depp, Whitaker -- Tupac/B.I.G. Murders Biopic

This is a story that is perfect for a Big Screen treatment.
Old 04-04-18, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
Re: City of Lies (D: Brad Furman) S: Depp, Whitaker -- Tupac/B.I.G. Murders Biopic

Originally Posted by melasnus
This is a story that is perfect for a Big Screen treatment.
Or an E! episode of Hollywood’s Mysteries and Scandels narrated by A.J. Benza.

I can’t tell which.
Old 04-04-18, 08:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Definitely the latter. Everyone wants some of tbat Straight Out of Compton success, but it won’t happen with this one.
Old 05-21-18, 12:46 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Based on the true story of one of the most notorious and unsolved cases in recent time, CITY OF LIES is a provocative thriller revealing a never-before-seen look at the infamous murder of The Notorious B.I.G. shortly following the death of Tupac. L.A.P.D. detective Russell Poole (Johnny Depp) has spent years trying to solve his biggest case, but after two decades, the investigation remains open. "Jack" Jackson (Forest Whitaker), a reporter desperate to save his reputation and career, is determined to find out why. In search of the truth, the two team up and unravel a growing web of institutional corruption and lies. Relentless in their hunt, these two determined men threaten to uncover the conspiracy and crack the foundation of the L.A.P.D. and an entire city.

Last edited by dex14; 03-04-21 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 12:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Was there a title change?
Old 05-21-18, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Was there a title change?
Originally LAbyrinth, but not when this thread was made.
Old 05-21-18, 01:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That was it. Can’t wait to see the scene where drunken Depp took over directing the film.
Old 05-21-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Man, that was a good trailer. I hope it lives up. I've never seen anything by Brad Furman.
Old 05-21-18, 07:37 PM

The Infiltrator is pretty good.
Old 07-09-18, 01:51 PM

Per TMZ:
Johnny Depp attacked a member of the crew on a movie shoot, telling the crew member he'd give him $100k to punch him in the face ... and now the crew member wants his money in the form of a lawsuit.

Gregg "Rocky" Brooks was hired as a location manager last year for the movie "City of Lies" -- a story about Biggie Smalls' murder. Depp plays LAPD detective Russell Poole, who investigated the killing.

Brooks claims Depp hired 2 of his friends for a scene in downtown L.A. on April 13, 2017. Brooks says the scene wasn't working well, and he informed the director they could only have one more shot at finishing it.

Rocky went to Johnny and told him he only had one more shot. According to the lawsuit -- filed by Baker, Olson, LeCroy & Danielian -- Rocky was concerned about Depp's volatility and went to get an LAPD officer for protection. Before Rocky reached the officer, he claims Depp attacked him and angrily screamed, "Who the f*** are you? You have no right to tell me what to do."

Rocky says Depp punched him twice in the rib cage. Rocky says he didn't react, and that's when Depp screamed, "I will give you $100,000 to punch me in the face right now."

Rocky claims Depp continued his tirade and his bodyguards then removed him from the area.

Rocky says during the altercation Depp's breath reeked of alcohol.

The suit seeks unspecified damages.

We reached out to Johnny's rep, so far no word back.
Old 08-06-18, 06:59 PM

City of Lies, the Brad Furman-directed crime thriller starring Johnny Depp and Forest Whitaker and based on the true story behind the investigation into the murder of rap star Notorious B.I.G., has been pulled off its September 7 release date.

Global Road, which acquired the movie’s original distributor Open Road last summer, has not set a new date for the pic, we’re told. It was set to hit screens on what would have been the 46th birthday of the iconic rapper, aka Biggie Smalls, who was gunned down in 1997 in a drive-by in Los Angeles.

The news comes less than month after the film’s location manager sued Depp, accusing the actor of assault and battery on the set in April 2017. Gregg “Rocky” Brooks said he was repeatedly hit by Depp after being informed that filming that night in downtown L.A. was going to have to wrap late. The 10-claim suit, which also names Furman and producers Miriam Segal, Good Film Productions and Depp’s Infinitum Nihil, seeks damages for hostile work environment, retaliation, and wrongful termination among the claims.

The July 9-filed lawsuit has become more focused in recent days. Last week, Segal and her Good Film were dropped by Brooks as defendants. We hear the move was not the result of a settlement, but rather discussions between the lawyers for the parties.

In City of Lies, Depp plays LAPD detective Russell Poole, and Whitaker is the journalist looking into the unsolved murder, which came six months after the death of Smalls’ rap rival Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas.

Global Road dropped a trailer for the pic, formerly titled LAbyrinth, in May.
https://deadline.com/2018/08/city-of...le-1202441341/
Old 03-04-21, 08:30 PM

2.5 years later...

City of Lies will hit theaters on March 19th, following by a Digital and On Demand release on April 9, 2021.

Old 03-04-21, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Seems like a good time to release a Johnny Depp movie
Old 03-04-21, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Releasing a Johnny Depp movie in the middle of a pandemic. Someone had a genius idea to wait the 2 and half years!
Old 03-04-21, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

It's a Saban release now too. Bruce Willis' new home for his movies.
Old 03-04-21, 10:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

You mean Bruce Willis and Frank Grillo’s home.
Old 03-05-21, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

18 executive producer credits, I wonder if that's a record?
Old 03-05-21, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
18 executive producer credits, I wonder if that's a record?
i was watching an interview with Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher in which Fincher was calling out that The Trial of the Chicago 7 had like 40 credited producers. Sorkin said he had no clue till he saw the final cut with credits.
Old 03-09-21, 03:32 PM

Old 03-09-21, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Wait, this movie never got released? That's......interesting.
Old 06-16-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

3 months later, this is now out at Redbox. I rented it yesterday, but I'm struggling to finish it. I don't think I can finish it.

It's basically covering the exact same material the USA miniseries Unsolved covered 3 years ago. And that was a 10 part miniseries. So I am getting pretty bored seeing most of the same things again.

and of course, the case is still unsolved, so there's really no dramatic tension or a a satisfying ending to this story.