Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors producing movies -- Do you care? Is it a selling point for you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you care about Actors producing movies? Is it a selling point?
Yes
0%
Sometimes
16.67%
No don't care at all
83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Many Many actors produce and Executive Produce movies this days. Some of them also star in it and some Produce them with other leads.

Just want to see if anyone cares or even sees this as a positive selling point for a movie? Or could you care less?

If Tom Hanks is credited as Producer, but isn't in the movie, do you care? Does he have to actually act in the movie for you to care?

If a movie is Produced by Michael Douglas, who has produced movies since the early 1970s, will that make you want to see it? Obviously you need to care about the story, directors and such.

I personally don't care. We don't know how much true involvement they actually have in the creative process or if it's just a vanity title and someone else dos all the heavy lifting.

I personally won't be drawn to a movie...From Executive Producer Matt Damon as the sole selling if he's not even in it.
Old 03-22-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Re: Actors producing movies -- Do you care? Is it a selling point for you?

It would be impossible for me to care less.

I suppose the closest for me would be Brad Pitt’s Plan B, which really hasn’t produced anything I would be excited for or those WWII series’ produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. But even with those, it’s still not a selling point for me.
Old 03-23-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Producer is not important to me. For me the director and then the writer are most important.
Old 03-23-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Could not care less
Old 03-23-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think i've ever even noticed when an actor's name is attached in that kind of role.
Old 03-23-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

It's just another way for the actor to get paid. It means jack squat.
Old 03-23-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Possibly. Especially as producer. As an executive producer, not so much. But it could be interesting given the movie.
Old 03-23-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Depends. The vast majority of the time I could not care less. Though I can't say never. Most of the time that credit is just a bullshit credit done as part of their deal.
Old 03-23-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah, like most here I usually don’t really care. Sometimes I’ll take notice of it but it’s usually something I notice after I’m already interested from trailers, articles, etc.
Old 03-23-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've never been motivated to see a film because of the producer.
Old 03-23-18, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo
It's just another way for the actor to get paid.
And in some cases bully the writer & director.
Old 03-23-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

Isn't "producer" a business term, meaning that they either put up money or raised money to make the movie? And then, since it was their money, or because they represent those who put up the money, they get to make the business decisions?
Old 03-23-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Michael Douglas produced One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and wasn’t an actor in it.

I’m guessing some of his involvement on the creative side was getting the rights to the story since it was based on a book and play.

But back in 1975, Douglas was an unknown other being Kirk’s son. I think he was still working in TV on The Streets of San Francisco. So no one back then saw this movie because he produced it.
Old 03-23-18, 12:21 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

A more recent example... Reese Witherspoon is the producer of Gone Girl. Purchased the rights to the book for her to play the role, but ended up not acting in it.

And producing and executive producing are two different things.
Old 03-23-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

These explain it pretty basically

So What Exactly IS A Film Producer? : https://www.nyfa.edu/student-resourc...film-producer/

Differences Between a Producer and an Executive Producer : http://smallbusiness.chron.com/diffe...cer-17587.html
Old 03-23-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally, actors formed their own production companies to have greater control over the movies they starred in and the roles they played and not be at the mercy of the studios. John Wayne, Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas were all pioneers of this in the postwar era. But long before then, United Artists was formed back in 1919 by three stars--Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, and Mary Pickford--and one director, D.W. Griffith. Some 50 years later, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Sidney Poitier formed a company--I think it was called First Artists--for similar purposes. The best films I remember coming out of that enterprise were THE GETAWAY, POCKET MONEY and STRAIGHT TIME. Another one was ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE, which completely derailed McQueen's career.

Lancaster's company produced some major works, including the 1955 Best Picture winner, MARTY, which starred Ernest Borgnine, plus his own starring feature, SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS. Kirk Douglas produced his own starring film, PATHS OF GLORY which put director Stanley Kubrick on the map.

So it used to mean something once.

Once the studio system was dismantled, stars who wanted any kind of career at all formed their own companies rather than waiting to be cast. They often worked with their managers or agents on these companies. Look at the careers of Bernie Brillstein and Brad Grey, to name two producer partners who started out as agents or managers of comedians.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-23-18 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-23-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Kirk Douglas produced his own starring film, PATHS OF GLORY which put director Stanley Kubrick on the map.
And then Douglas & Kubrick became enemies during Spartacus when the director got tired of being bossed around by the actor/producer.
In a way it was a blessing because it made Kubrick sever ties with Hollywood.
Old 03-23-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I could care less.

And come to think about it, I couldn't care less, too.

Literally.
Old 03-23-18, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'd say the producer credit could possibly interest me depending on who it is and that person's track record. But taking into account all producers, actors and non-actors alike, there are very few who seem to be able to put their own personal stamp on a project. While I am not usually a fan of his films, I think Jerry Bruckheimer is a great example of one who can. If you see his name as a producer, you sort of have an idea of what kind of film to expect, and I can see where that would be a selling point for fans of his type of films.

I'm trying to think of actors who also work as producers that could be considered standouts. Witherspoon and Pitt are both good examples. They seem to have pretty good instincts. I can't think of too many others. Maybe Clooney.
Old 03-23-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The only reason I might pay attention is if it was some obscure topic that the actor had a personal interest in, like an unusual hobby, or Japanese American internment, or something.
Old 03-24-18, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Originally, actors formed their own production companies to have greater control over the movies they starred in and the roles they played and not be at the mercy of the studios. John Wayne, Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas were all pioneers of this in the postwar era. But long before then, United Artists was formed back in 1919 by three stars--Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, and Mary Pickford--and one director, D.W. Griffith. Some 50 years later, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Sidney Poitier formed a company--I think it was called First Artists--for similar purposes. The best films I remember coming out of that enterprise were THE GETAWAY, POCKET MONEY and STRAIGHT TIME. Another one was ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE, which completely derailed McQueen's career.

Lancaster's company produced some major works, including the 1955 Best Picture winner, MARTY, which starred Ernest Borgnine, plus his own starring feature, SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS. Kirk Douglas produced his own starring film, PATHS OF GLORY which put director Stanley Kubrick on the map.

So it used to mean something once.

Once the studio system was dismantled, stars who wanted any kind of career at all formed their own companies rather than waiting to be cast. They often worked with their managers or agents on these companies. Look at the careers of Bernie Brillstein and Brad Grey, to name two producer partners who started out as agents or managers of comedians.
Among others
Jerry Lewis produced his own films
Bob Hope produced his own films. It was his personal accountants who screwed up and let several fall into public domain
Alan Ladd formed Jaguar Productions
Audie Murphy formed Admiral Pictures
Cagney formed William Cagney Productions
Max Bear formed his owned company to make Macon County Line

Most successful is Eastwood. He formed Malpaso around 1970-71 and hasn't worked for anybody else since. I've wondered if he was approached to appear in someone else's films over the past 50 years, and if he would have ever done it if approached with the right role.
Old 03-24-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
The only reason I might pay attention is if it was some obscure topic that the actor had a personal interest in, like an unusual hobby, or Japanese American internment, or something.
That is an ... unusual hobby.

And ...

Old 03-24-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rw2516

Most successful is Eastwood. He formed Malpaso around 1970-71 and hasn't worked for anybody else since. I've wondered if he was approached to appear in someone else's films over the past 50 years, and if he would have ever done it if approached with the right role.
Correction. In the Line of Fire was a rare Non-Eastwood production. He was strictly an actor in that one.

It was produced by Sony Pictures and Castle Rock Ent and directed by Wolfgang Petersen. Malpaso had no involvement with it.
Old 03-24-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't recall one time I was ever aware of who produced before going to see a film. I usually don't know until I see the BR extras and the producer is interviewed.
Old 03-24-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Can't recall one time I was ever aware of who produced before going to see a film. I usually don't know until I see the BR extras and the producer is interviewed.
Not an actor but the only producer who I would consider any kind of “draw” for me is Jerry Bruckheimer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.