Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Action Point (2018, D: Kirkby) S: Knoxville

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-21-18, 02:17 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ri1Cc3Yz09U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Everyone’s favorite daredevil Johnny Knoxville is back to his hilariously painful antics in the upcoming comedy ACTION POINT. Knoxville stars as D.C., the crackpot owner of a low-rent, out-of-control amusement park where the rides are designed with minimum safety for maximum fun. Just as D.C.’s estranged teenage daughter Boogie comes to visit, a corporate mega-park opens nearby and jeopardizes the future of Action Point. To save his beloved theme park and his relationship with his daughter, D.C. and his loony crew of misfits risk everything to pull out all the stops – and stunts – making for another wild ride from the star of BAD GRANDPA and JACKASS
The original concept of this was based on NJ's Action Park:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KKDx_piZvsg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 05-21-18 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-28-18, 05:42 PM

Re: Action Point (2018, D: Kirkby) S: Knoxville

This opens this week.
Old 05-29-18, 01:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That looks so bad. They seem to have utterly failed at comprehending what was/is funny about the recklessness of Action Park. They’ve exaggerated everything, and at the same time made it look much cheaper. Action Park doesn’t need to be exaggerated to be funny.

Even the title change hurts the film. The real life comedy was that they failed to even give the park a thoughtful name. Action Point actually sounds like a theme park. Action Park seems to reflect the same lack of consideration that went into everything.

These filmmakers are clueless and they’ve spoiled a great premise. They were given gold and they turned it to carbon.
Old 05-29-18, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
That looks so bad. They seem to have utterly failed at comprehending what was/is funny about the recklessness of Action Park. They’ve exaggerated everything, and at the same time made it look much cheaper. Action Park doesn’t need to be exaggerated to be funny.

Even the title change hurts the film. The real life comedy was that they failed to even give the park a thoughtful name. Action Point actually sounds like a theme park. Action Park seems to reflect the same lack of consideration that went into everything.

These filmmakers are clueless and they’ve spoiled a great premise. They were given gold and they turned it to carbon.
As an NJ resident, I very much agree with this. I was disappointed in the name change and what seems to be like an adapted version of a concept that was perfect for a movie on its own. This could've been like Caddyshack/Meatballs meets Adventureland.
Old 05-30-18, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This opens this week.
And closes next week. Looks like one of the worst movies ever made.
Old 05-30-18, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
As an NJ resident, I very much agree with this. I was disappointed in the name change and what seems to be like an adapted version of a concept that was perfect for a movie on its own. This could've been like Caddyshack/Meatballs meets Adventureland.
I looked up the park on Wikipedia. Sounds totally insane. And yeah, they seem to have blown it with this film.
Old 05-30-18, 02:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I wasn’t really tempted to see this, even with MoviePass, but Regal is offering a free digital copy of Bad Grandpa if you buy a ticket, so I guess I’m in.
Old 05-30-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I wasn’t really tempted to see this, even with MoviePass, but Regal is offering a free digital copy of Bad Grandpa if you buy a ticket, so I guess I’m in.
Well, if you get the digital copy for just buying a ticket, you could pull an Abob Decker move and use Moviepass to buy the ticket and get the free digital copy and just not go in to see the movie. Of course that would be violating the Moviepass TOS.
Old 05-30-18, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Well, if you get the digital copy for just buying a ticket, you could pull an Abob Decker move and use Moviepass to buy the ticket and get the free digital copy and just not go in to see the movie. Of course that would be violating the Moviepass TOS.
I’ll just sit in the back row and multitask on my phone, maybe riffing the movie live in this thread.
Old 05-30-18, 06:41 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Digital copy of Bad Grandpa? They bought you cheap.
Old 05-30-18, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Watch this instead. Much cheaper. More informative. Won't kill brain cells. Less time. And probably more entertaining.

Old 06-03-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Saw it today.

Awful awful awful.

Wasn’t funny was just stupid.

Everything Mabuse said is exactly what was wrong with this movie.

They made this park a dump and moved the local to California.
Old 06-03-18, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Digital copy of Bad Grandpa? They bought you cheap.
Well, the movie ticket is free, the digital copy is free, and I drive by the theater several times a day, so ‘bought’ barely applies. But yeah, I know I’m wasting my time. But perhaps someone in my Vudu collective library likes crappy films.
Old 06-03-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Saw it yesterday. My timing was off to see Upgrade and this was playing at the time I was at the theatre.
I was one of two people in the theatre. (Granted, it was a matinee.)I think I laughed once, and don't recall hearing the other person laugh.
I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of this type of painful slapstick, and I was unaware of the true story of Action Park, but even as a stand alone movie it was lacking to say the least.
Old 02-28-19, 08:48 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Would not have gone to the cinema to watch, but as a movie i watched on a plane, it wasn't too bad

quite fun and charming
Old 02-28-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

This movie was garbage.
Old 03-01-19, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A good idea for a movie, but the writing didn't have enough humor to do justice to it.
According to one of the Featurettes, there was a lot of ad-libbing from the cast.
Old 03-01-19, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Forgettable.