Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Triple Frontier (2019, D: Chandor) S: Affleck, Isaac, Hunnam, Hedlund, Pascal -- Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Triple Frontier (2019, D: Chandor) S: Affleck, Isaac, Hunnam, Hedlund, Pascal -- Netflix

Old 03-19-18, 01:21 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Even though it needs a new title, the drama known as Triple Frontier finally gets underway next week at Netflix. Perhaps the most apt title would be The Movie That Refused to Die. Ben Affleck is back, heading the ensemble, along with Oscar Isaac, Charlie Hunnam, Pedro Pascal, Garrett Hedlund and Adria Arjona.

The J.C. Chandor-directed, Charles Roven-, Alex Gartner- and Andy Horwitz-produced drama is a study in how a worthy script can stay alive, despite setbacks that often are fatal. We last wrote about this one when the picture fell apart after Affleck withdrew for personal reasons as he dealt with sobriety issues. This was when he was going to star with brother Casey Affleck and Mahershala Ali, right after those two were coming off their Oscar-winning performances in Manchester By the Sea and Moonlight, respectively.

Affleck and Ali dropped out over scheduling after the last setback. But Affleck didnít exit. He put in the rehab time and is in shape, as evidenced by paparazzi pictures of the new cast as theyíve trained on the beach in Oahu, where they now begin shooting March 26. Chandor had long eyed Isaac, though his schedule was impossible in the pictureís last incarnation, and a window opened and he committed. Netflix took on the picture after Paramount let go of it after Tom Hardy and Channing Tatum dropped out weeks before production was to begin. This was after the pictureís prime advocate, the late Paramount chief Brad Grey, got fired and Paramountís new management wasnít eager to make a high-budget topical political thriller that had just lost two big stars.

The filmís plot: Loyalties are tested when five friends reunite to take down a South American drug lord, unleashing a chain of unintended consequences.

Netflix film head Scott Stuber provided a lifeline, and has worked ever since with Roven and his Atlas Entertainment to keep this one from dying. The one unresolved issue now is title; the thriller that Mark Boal scripted years ago for his The Hurt Locker partner Kathryn Bigelow to direct was called Triple Frontier because of its setting in the notorious border zone with Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil, where the Iguazu and Parana rivers converge. That area is no longer considered as dangerous as it was; tourists go there now. Chandor has worked on the script and the location still borders Brazil. It will shoot in Oahu as well as in Colombia and California. Thomas Hayslip, Neal Dodson and Anna Gerb are executive producing.

The script has long been catnip for filmmakers and talent; in addition to Bigelow, Tom Hanks, Will Smith and Johnny Depp circled to star before Tatum and Hardy committed and exited. Chandor wrote the latest draft of the script.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/triple-f...ix-1202345230/
Old 12-09-18, 07:40 PM

re: Triple Frontier (2019, D: Chandor) S: Affleck, Isaac, Hunnam, Hedlund, Pascal -- Netflix

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fo3yRLLrXQA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 02-15-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-09-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
re: Triple Frontier (2019, D: Chandor) S: Affleck, Isaac, Hunnam, Hedlund, Pascal -- Netflix

Looks good! That’s an excellent cast...and Charlie Hunnam.
Old 12-09-18, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here.
Old 12-10-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Looks good! Thatís an excellent cast...and Charlie Hunnam.
Agree.
Old 12-10-18, 11:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Definitely looks like direct to Netflix quality.
Old 02-15-19, 08:45 AM

Re: Triple Frontier (2019, D: Chandor) S: Affleck, Isaac, Hunnam, Hedlund, Pascal -- Netflix

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y7HveFHVHjA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-12-19, 09:06 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Triple Frontier (2019, D: Chandor) S: Affleck, Isaac, Hunnam, Hedlund, Pascal -- Netflix

This one comes out tomorrow. Rotten Tomatoes has early reviews at 71%. Sounds like it's good but not great.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80192187
Old 03-13-19, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, not exactly great, but not terrible either. There was a bit of fat that could have been maybe trimmed, but with a few drams of whisky it was an OK way to spend a couple of hours. Then again, story wise, this didn't really go the way I thought it would have. Whether that's a plus or not is up to the individual viewer.

I didn't watch any of the trailers, so apart from knowing who was in it and the basic premise it was all new to me.

3+ would probably be the grade, maybe even an added plus. I just happen to like movies like this, especially when well made.
Old 03-16-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Just ok for me too... didn't like the ending. And for being smart guys they kinda got super greedy trying to carry 9000 pounds knowing 5000 was the limit.
Old 03-16-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

A lot like High Risk minus the humor...I thought it was pretty good overall. And agree the ending was lacking. I would give it 3/4 or a B.
Old 03-16-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by OrnerySumbitch
Yeah, not exactly great, but not terrible either. There was a bit of fat that could have been maybe trimmed, but with a few drams of whisky it was an OK way to spend a couple of hours. Then again, story wise, this didn't really go the way I thought it would have. Whether that's a plus or not is up to the individual viewer.

I didn't watch any of the trailers, so apart from knowing who was in it and the basic premise it was all new to me.

3+ would probably be the grade, maybe even an added plus. I just happen to like movies like this, especially when well made.
Welcome new member.
Old 03-16-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

I watched it last night. It was good but not great. At just over 2 hours it felt a tad long, mostly in the third act. I still thought it was a great cast though Iím guessing this was filmed before Affleck went to rehab because he was looking a bit rough. Oscar Isaac is my favorite actor working today so I always enjoy watching his flicks, he usually makes above average stuff.

Originally Posted by csant
Just ok for me too... didn't like the ending. And for being smart guys they kinda got super greedy trying to carry 9000 pounds knowing 5000 was the limit.
This is one of the things I enjoyed most about this movie. Yeah, they made a handful of boneheaded decisions throughout but I thought it was a good premise that the movie was about a group of over-the-hill soldiers who were past their prime and no longer as sharp as they once were. They made poor decisions that they never would have made when they were younger.

To me that felt more real and refreshing than seeing some sort of Expendables retread.
Old 03-17-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought it was decent. The shot of the H3 tunnel in Oahu took me out of the movie for a moment.
Old 03-17-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This fell a little short IMO.
Excellent cast and started strong, but petered out by the midpoint.
The writing wasn't up to snuff...too many forehead slappers.
Even the wife said "no way those characters would do or not do such a thing in that situation" (paraphrase).
Old 03-17-19, 06:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I really enjoyed it. I was pretty riveted the entire time. I also liked the ending.
Old 03-17-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Same here, really enjoyed it. Bring on a sequel.
Old 03-18-19, 12:01 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it. Kept me interested and really suspenseful throughout the movie. I donít mind the ending.. it was actually perfect for me.

3/4 stars for me
Old 03-18-19, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I liked it quite a bit too. A little long, but otherwise exciting and engaging.
Old 03-18-19, 06:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

what's there to complain about the ending?

he has the coordinates to go recover the loot which wouldn't be too much of a chore to do with proper planning and equipment.
Old 03-18-19, 07:16 AM

It started off well enough, but got pretty boring towards the end, IMO. With a Mark Boal script directed by J.C. Chandor, I would've expected more. The cast was good, but Charlie Hunnam continues to be terrible and his American accent is shit.

I am glad Netflix is getting films like this made though.
Old 03-18-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I don't get all the hate for Hunnam or his American accent.
Old 03-18-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Enjoyed the film. I don't get the hate for Hunnam either, seemed good to me.
Old 03-18-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
what's there to complain about the ending?

he has the coordinates to go recover the loot which wouldn't be too much of a chore to do with proper planning and equipment.
Well,
Spoiler:
... if we are to believe that they are as elite as they are presented, the simple and logical move would have been to find someplace like that crevice to dump the main load before even attempting the crossing, and simply return later. They would still have had more than enough funds on the helo to finance the return trip with better equipment, a more favorable schedule, and so much less risk. The fact that the coordinates are tossed in for the closing scene, as if no one else was smart enough to geo-tag the location of the dump, is disappointing.
Old 03-19-19, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I don't get all the hate for Hunnam or his American accent.
Sutter-hate projection. Hunnam was in this forum's most hated TV show, playing a dumbass with the worst possible ending. I don't think anyone really hates him, though

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.